Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   FreeForAll (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Hello (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=7950)

jimbob 10-17-2010 10:56 PM

Hello

Hello there members , it would appear i may become a rocketeer by default.I bought one "ready to fly" to learn its ready to fly for those with launch pads and rocket engines.Id originally planned to mail it to my nephew in europe as it said"ready to fly" , i didnt realise the rest.
Ive not seen one of these rockets before and will most likely keep it and actually get one of the higher altitude reaching ones too.Its an Estes rocket i have and i have a basic understanding of what i'll need but as with anything new its confusing and i'm in need of guidance as to what i really need.

As of now i only have the rocket , i understand the engines which i'll need , theres the launch pad , do i really need an electronic launch controller and what are the igniters ive seen ? Also theres recovery wadding , what is this as it appears its needed , id appreciate any and all help , thanks : )

Royatl 10-18-2010 01:38 AM

Hi JimBob, and welcome to our little hobby.

Estes sells "Launch Sets" and "Starter Sets," which are the best way to get launch pads and controllers (buying them separately is a bit more expensive).
The difference between "Launch Set" and "Starter Set" is the latter includes a couple of model rocket motors (Estes calls them "engines"). You'll want to get an extra pack of motors anyway.
The motors are rated by letter signifying power range. Example: an A8-3 motor will lift one of the "ready to fly" rockets between 100 and 400 feet or so, depending on the size of the rocket. A C6-5 motor is four times as powerful (each letter is double the previous), so you can expect from 400 to 1600 feet. You can expect 200 to 800 ft from a B6-4. Small skinny rockets (0.75" x 12" long) will go higher, larger fat rockets (1.5" x 18") will go lower.

Yes, you should use electric ignition. That is part of why the rocket is so safe. You are in complete control of when the rocket leaves the pad.

The "sets" and, depending on where you get them, the engines, include recovery wadding, which is a flame-resistant toilet paper that protects the parachute from the hot particles and gases the engine uses to push the parachute out. If you can't find Estes recovery wadding separately, you can use flame-resistant party streamers or parade float tissue. Or, if you have some cellulose attic insulation, you can even use that! Don't use just regular toilet paper or paper towels, as these might catch on fire, and therefore catch something else on fire when they land.

Follow Estes' directions on where to launch and you should be good to go.

Let us know more about the rocket you got, and where you are. There might be a club near you. There are some Estes RTF rockets that are even smaller and use a smaller type of rocket motor (rated from 1/4A to A)

jflis 10-18-2010 07:08 AM

Welcome to rocketry! (and to YORF :) )

Good advice, above.

Here's an idea. Get your nephew started in Europe and you and he plan international contests where you vie for highest altitude and/or duration between the two of you. that would acutally be very cool :)

Leo 10-18-2010 07:29 AM

Welcome to YORF

You need not send your nephew modern rocketry related items as there are many vendors in Europe.

What country does your nephew live in?

bob jablonski 10-18-2010 10:17 AM

Welcome to the wonderful world of model rockets. I also agree with the above postings. But it is also fun just to find a place to fly and have fun and get some experience. I noticed when I fly at the local fairgrounds a few kids stop, watch, and sometimes also get addicted.
Mr. Bob
Starlight Model Rockets LLC
www.starlightrocketry.com

jimbob 10-18-2010 09:05 PM

Good evening , ill try to answer the questions best i can , my nephew is in Scotland , im unsure if its something he could get there.
The rocket in question is the Estes Cruise Missile which isnt really made for height apparantly,more for looks.My nephew being 7 would find it cool.Now i know a little more ill choose another for height as i dont see the point of buying the launch equipment for just the one rocket not built for height , i can't recall the name of it but i think its the gnome or something like that.
Ive no idea where to go to launch , im in Bucks Co , Pa , im not originally from around here so know little of what goes on here.I'll continue reading and thank you all for your kind replies , i'll look forward to posting with you and getting to know some of you. : )

Royatl 10-18-2010 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob
Good evening , ill try to answer the questions best i can , my nephew is in Scotland , im unsure if its something he could get there.
The rocket in question is the Estes Cruise Missile which isnt really made for height apparantly,more for looks.My nephew being 7 would find it cool.Now i know a little more ill choose another for height as i dont see the point of buying the launch equipment for just the one rocket not built for height , i can't recall the name of it but i think its the gnome or something like that.
Ive no idea where to go to launch , im in Bucks Co , Pa , im not originally from around here so know little of what goes on here.I'll continue reading and thank you all for your kind replies , i'll look forward to posting with you and getting to know some of you. : )

Ok, so that rocket is made for the smaller motors, and generally only the A10-3T should be used. It is also all-plastic, including the motor retainer. Since the rocket motor gets very hot during firing, the plastic motor retainer tends to melt or deform. You'll probably find it lasts only three or four flights. Some have modified it with a normal paper engine tube and have gotten the rocket to last a little longer.

It will go about 200 ft in the air, which is not too bad if you can find a school field or a park with an area about the size of a baseball or soccer field to fly from.

You can go to http://www.nar.org/NARseclist.php to find out what clubs are near you in PA.
I think Coopersburg is near you, and there's a club with a contact that lives there.

As far as you're nephew is concerned, there are definitely rockets available in Scotland, though I don't know if the mini-engines are available there. There's a club that can be found at http://sara.rocketry.org.uk . Their website is not very informative though!

Good luck!

Shreadvector 10-19-2010 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob
Hello there members , it would appear i may become a rocketeer by default.I bought one "ready to fly" to learn its ready to fly for those with launch pads and rocket engines.Id originally planned to mail it to my nephew in europe as it said"ready to fly" , i didnt realise the rest.
Ive not seen one of these rockets before and will most likely keep it and actually get one of the higher altitude reaching ones too.Its an Estes rocket i have and i have a basic understanding of what i'll need but as with anything new its confusing and i'm in need of guidance as to what i really need.

As of now i only have the rocket , i understand the engines which i'll need , theres the launch pad , do i really need an electronic launch controller and what are the igniters ive seen ? Also theres recovery wadding , what is this as it appears its needed , id appreciate any and all help , thanks : )

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO MAIL OR SHIP ROCKET MOTORS ("Engines") !!!

You can ship rocket kits and launch pads and controllers, but NOT the motors.

http://www.nar.org/pdf/shipping_rocket_motors.pdf

If you want to ship, find a vendor who has the proper HAZMAT shipping for overseas shipments and place an order with them and have the order shipped directly to your Nephew.

Note that even some larger rocket companies will not ship internationally:
http://www.questaerospace.com/help.asp?url=HL#iorder

http://www.estesrockets.com/store/rockets.html

So, you'll have to search for an online retailer who can ship surface mail - parcel post with proper HAZMAT labelling etc. if they offer to ship "Priority" or "Air Mail", DO NOT do it, as that would be illegal and you could end up with an intimate encounter with the Dept of Homeland Security or a similar event at the receiving end of the shipment.

jeffyjeep 10-19-2010 12:59 PM

One always has to be careful when flying model rockets in Scotland.
Someone could get.......

wait for it

wait for it

wait for it

wait for it

........."kilt". :D

Bill 10-19-2010 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
One always has to be careful when flying model rockets in Scotland.
Someone could get.......

wait for it

wait for it

wait for it

wait for it

........."kilt". :D

Only if they drag race...

Bill