Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Winter build season (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=15863)

A Fish Named Wallyum 03-22-2016 04:47 PM

Winter build season

I finished a Semroc Cherokee C at the end of last season and liked it so much that I decided to build one in each tube size. Luckily the alphabet cooperated and the BT-5 is the Cherokee A. Decals were a challenge, but I like how they turned out. The BT-20 Cherokee B is being finished tonight.

After a decade of building Baby Berthas in every way but the way they designed it, I gave in and painted one like the face card. :D

The Estes Payloader II project stalled when I lost the decal sheet. Last weekend it turned up in a drawer, so I finished what I started a LONG time ago.

A Fish Named Wallyum 03-22-2016 04:54 PM

The original, seldom seen Estes Vagabond. I started this one a while back and recently decided to break down and print out the decal. My calculations were off a bit, but it isn't that easily noticed. They're slightly large.

The Estes Taser Twin was one of those rockets that I bought just because I wanted to build something and the Hobby Lobby coupon made it cheap. Not a bad kit, but the stripe decals for the sustainer fins are way too small. :mad:

The Fishhead Rocketry Maverick XL is a D-powered BT-55 upscale. I had a bunch of extra nose cones and a can of green paint, so this was born. The green is a little dark to allow the black decal to show at the top of the body tube, but in the sunshine on the pads it should look okay.

A Fish Named Wallyum 03-22-2016 04:59 PM

Quest THE Flash. This one survived being treed a couple of years ago and recently got painted. The sticker decal had no stick to it, so I found something online that worked just as well.

The Estes Kadet is a weekend build because I had the parts. The fin can is from the Skywriter that CATO'd a couple of years back. This one builds quick.

The Quest Sprint also had a sticker decal that didn't. If Quest crawls out of the hole they're in I hope they do so as a waterslide company. I scanned the sticker and printed it off as a waterslide, as it should have been

A Fish Named Wallyum 03-22-2016 05:05 PM

The last of my MRC birds, the Firefighter is a bit more stout than the other two. Another sticker failure, I printed off a scan of the decal and it looks pretty decent.

This Quest Tracer was an Ebay no-brainer because I replaced a rocket I had that I never got a picture of, and got a backup launch controller for basically the cost of postage. I didn't bother to paint this, I just scanned the useless sticker and printed it off as a waterslide.

The Semroc V-1.5 sat around in primer for years before I decided to complete it as Carl envisioned it.

mojo1986 03-22-2016 08:17 PM

Bill.........you've been busy!

A Fish Named Wallyum 03-22-2016 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986
Bill.........you've been busy!

Empty nest. :D I think I already posted the Canaroc FK-3 and Estes Hi-Flier, which were also a part of this group. I'm trying to puzzle out the Centuri-style wrap for the Semroc SLS Jaguar, one of my more tragic projects. :rolleyes: Poor thing flew once and sat in my room in primer for ten years or so. I recently got a wind up my blowhole to finish it, but I never cared for the stock decal. Too modern. I also finished the Estes Vampire tonight, so I should be able to get a pic of that tomorrow. :cool:

dlazarus6660 03-22-2016 10:35 PM

Look at all of the trophy winners.

Too bad a certain rocketperson could not present such a fleet! :rolleyes:

stefanj 03-22-2016 11:17 PM

Business with new dog has limited my build hours.

I did rebuild an Estes Challenger 1 my brother gave me. New body tube and mount; parachute and plastic parts are from the original. Sandman's decal goes on sometime this week.

I'm also rebuilding a rocket I literally found in the trash. Someone's gift that they shabbily built and never flew; it was in the box, which had an unassembled launch pad and controler.

The model has the cone and tail cone of a Black Brant. Replaced the tube and need to come up with a fin pattern.

A Fish Named Wallyum 03-22-2016 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlazarus6660
Look at all of the trophy winners.

Too bad a certain rocketperson could not present such a fleet! :rolleyes:

Oh, yeah, they're all shiny now, but the challenge is keeping them that way between now and the time that B6-4 Field resurfaces for the flying season. :D It's actually looking pretty decent right now for the weekend. Today would have been perfect if not for the 30+ mph winds. :(

A Fish Named Wallyum 03-22-2016 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
Business with new dog has limited my build hours.

I did rebuild an Estes Challenger 1 my brother gave me. New body tube and mount; parachute and plastic parts are from the original. Sandman's decal goes on sometime this week.

I'm also rebuilding a rocket I literally found in the trash. Someone's gift that they shabbily built and never flew; it was in the box, which had an unassembled launch pad and controler.

The model has the cone and tail cone of a Black Brant. Replaced the tube and need to come up with a fin pattern.

I did both Challengers that way. The Challenger 1 needed a new tube, but the old tube just pulled away from the plastic pieces. They must have used bad glue. I did a review on it quite a while back.

http://www.rocketreviews.com/estes-...chelberger.html The pics don't do justice to how yellowed and crunched the original body tube was. It was almost comical.

The Challenger II came in an Ebay lot last year. I was able to cut the body tube and insert a coupler into the crunched portion, then fit the two halves back together without a seam showing. It still has "patina". :cool:
I'm guessing your Black Brant was the III version in BT-50?