Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   FreeForAll (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Rapier makes model rocket motors, too! (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=5067)

blackshire 04-09-2009 05:23 AM

Rapier makes model rocket motors, too!

Hello All,

Dr. Jan Zigmund ("Dr. Z"), who produces the Rapier www.rapier.cz single-use Jetex replacement motors for F/F (Free Flight) model jet airplanes, also manufactures model rocket motors and igniters (see: www.rapier.cz/raket.htm ). [Copying-and-pasting the www.rapier.cz/raket.htm URL into Google www.google.com will enable you to translate the page's Czech text into English by using the "Translate This Page" option.]

His RM Series model rocket motors are available in 13 mm X 50 mm, 15 mm X 50 mm, and 18 mm X 75 mm motor case sizes. You can see his RM Series C4-6 motors here: http://www.jetex.org/scripts/yabb2/...?num=1205478103

Since Dr. Z makes his motors in smaller batches than Estes and Quest and also apparently uses some manual production techniques, perhaps he could provide 13 mm "B" motors, B14 motors, and Cox-type 18 mm D8 motors and get them NAR Certified for contest use.

Rocketflyer 04-09-2009 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
Hello All,

Dr. Jan Zigmund ("Dr. Z"), who produces the Rapier www.rapier.cz single-use Jetex replacement motors for F/F (Free Flight) model jet airplanes, also manufactures model rocket motors and igniters (see: www.rapier.cz/raket.htm ). [Copying-and-pasting the www.rapier.cz/raket.htm URL into Google www.google.com will enable you to translate the page's Czech text into English by using the "Translate This Page" option.]

His RM Series model rocket motors are available in 13 mm X 50 mm, 15 mm X 50 mm, and 18 mm X 75 mm motor case sizes. You can see his RM Series C4-6 motors here: http://www.jetex.org/scripts/yabb2/...?num=1205478103

Since Dr. Z makes his motors in smaller batches than Estes and Quest and also apparently uses some manual production techniques, perhaps he could provide 13 mm "B" motors, B14 motors, and Cox-type 18 mm D8 motors and get them NAR Certified for contest use.

I believe that it will cost the good Dr. a small fortune to do this. Cost of testing, hazmat fees, cost of shipping, import fees, etc, etc. Not cost effective unless he makes many thousands, and/or you/we are willing to pay a high price for a single motor.

blackshire 04-09-2009 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketflyer
I believe that it will cost the good Dr. a small fortune to do this. Cost of testing, hazmat fees, cost of shipping, import fees, etc, etc. Not cost effective unless he makes many thousands, and/or you/we are willing to pay a high price for a single motor.

Or have a friend who can bring some in via diplomatic pouch... :-)

Shreadvector 04-09-2009 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
Or have a friend who can bring some in via diplomatic pouch... :-)

make sure that the "friend" is not Sal Governale.....:eek:

Gus 04-09-2009 10:23 AM

Bill Stine wrote an absolutely wonderful article about manufacturing model rocket motors which you can read here.

Thanks to Rocketry Planet for archiving this (and so many other) wonderful piece(s).

shockwaveriderz 04-09-2009 12:15 PM

It's my understanding and I could be wrong that Dr. Z is the brains behind the Czech Delta motors sometimes used by our FAI team, although at the last WSMC I think they used a combo of Czech Delta and Serbia Ultra.

The Slovaks used to make an model rocket motor called the VYMOPO
Its a shame when the former communist countries of eastern Europe have less regulation and enforcement of motor making than does the USA.

But have you seen some of the prices of "domestic" European model rocket motor prices compared to USA prices. yikes! If they were certfied by the powers that be, they would be double those prices and nobody here would want to pay them.

"ben in tucson" said he gets them at SieraFox Hobbies in Italy..

check out their motors page

http://www.sierrafoxhobbies.com/cat...php/cPath/30_46

but they are pretty to look at.

terry dean

jdbectec 04-09-2009 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwaveriderz
It's my understanding and I could be wrong that Dr. Z is the brains behind the Czech Delta motors sometimes used by our FAI team, although at the last WSMC I think they used a combo of Czech Delta and Serbia Ultra.

The Slovaks used to make an model rocket motor called the VYMOPO
Its a shame when the former communist countries of eastern Europe have less regulation and enforcement of motor making than does the USA.

But have you seen some of the prices of "domestic" European model rocket motor prices compared to USA prices. yikes! If they were certfied by the powers that be, they would be double those prices and nobody here would want to pay them.

"ben in tucson" said he gets them at SieraFox Hobbies in Italy..

check out their motors page

http://www.sierrafoxhobbies.com/cat...php/cPath/30_46

but they are pretty to look at.

terry dean

I was just going to ask about that, do they ship motors to the USA? I've looked at their shipping and terms of use, and they quote shipping rates to the USA but only mention restrictions on HP motors.

Has anybody ever ordered any and had them shipped here?

Also in referance to the FAI motors, How does one practice if you can't get the delta or ultra motors in the USA, I'm curious about this aspect of the hobby and just ordeed two of Venus Rocketry's FAI style kits.

shockwaveriderz 04-09-2009 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbectec
I was just going to ask about that, do they ship motors to the USA? I've looked at their shipping and terms of use, and they quote shipping rates to the USA but only mention restrictions on HP motors.

Has anybody ever ordered any and had them shipped here?

Also in referance to the FAI motors, How does one practice if you can't get the delta or ultra motors in the USA, I'm curious about this aspect of the hobby and just ordeed two of Venus Rocketry's FAI style kits.

I emailed SierraFox Hobies and asked if they would ship those Rapier to USA> will share when I get a reply.

The USA FAI Team right now uss 13mm Estes A3-4T /A10-3T for their flyoffs,etc

Once they get in country, I guess they get hold of the motors then, practice some with them and then use them in the competition. the Delta/Ultras are hand made specifically by spec for whatever FAI team might want to use them and they are delivered on site for the FAI competitions.

terry dean

jdbectec 04-09-2009 04:11 PM

Thanks Terry! I thought about e-mailing them but wasn't sure about the language barrier. From what I read on jetex.org supplies of rapiers are limited and the L1 ,L2, etc. vary in power from batch to batch. Even if you couldn't fly the ModRoc motors at NAR events, it would be nice to have a few for private use. If I could afford it I'd love to import some European motors to sell to USA hobbiests!

I'll build one of my kits for 13mm motors and save the other for later ;)

shockwaveriderz 04-09-2009 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbectec
Thanks Terry! I thought about e-mailing them but wasn't sure about the language barrier. From what I read on jetex.org supplies of rapiers are limited and the L1 ,L2, etc. vary in power from batch to batch. Even if you couldn't fly the ModRoc motors at NAR events, it would be nice to have a few for private use. If I could afford it I'd love to import some European motors to sell to USA hobbiests!

I'll build one of my kits for 13mm motors and save the other for later ;)

You might still be able to find some old Apogee 10.5mm A2 Bp motors to play/practice with for private use.

and I'm glad to se that Mark @ Venus Rocketry is back up and running.... I encourage all rocketeers to purchase his FAI model rocket kits....

terry dean