Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Vendors (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Excelsior Rocketry - decals, custom parts, kits (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=14857)

A Fish Named Wallyum 03-03-2015 07:26 PM

Excelsior Rocketry - decals, custom parts, kits

It occurred to me tonight that there isn't a thread devoted to Gordon's artistry. And if there is, now there's another one. Please share your Excelsior Rocketry projects, be they rockets with Excelsior decals or custom parts or kits from the Roachworks arm of the industry.
I think my earliest Excelsior works were from back in the day that it was a New York based business. I did a couple of Phred's Goony kits for review, the Goony Max and Goonybird Zero.

Treed 'em both. I hadn't put the decals on the Max when it was treed, but the Zero was in full livery. Phred was so bummed that he sent me another decal set.
And I'm almost ready to apply them. :o
He also sent me a Goonydent set, but every time I gathered enough parts to start on it, I'd filch one of the kits for another Goony project.

A Fish Named Wallyum 03-03-2015 07:42 PM

After the Goony Max project, I was firmly on the Max bandwagon, so it was only natural that I'd build a Der Grosser Vati.

A Fish Named Wallyum 03-03-2015 07:51 PM

One of my fellow club members was selling an Estes Fat Boy kit, so I snapped it up and ordered a Fat Max decal set from Gordon.

Marc_G 03-03-2015 07:56 PM

3 Attachment(s)
My first "Gordy special" was a Fliskits Praetor. I had him do up some custom Roman-themed decals.

Marc_G 03-03-2015 08:00 PM

5 Attachment(s)
More recently he did the decals from my scratch build design "Project Red Queen"

ghrocketman 03-03-2015 08:13 PM

VERY COOL Big Daddy, Bill !

Did you build it 'stock' or with the Commonwealth upgrade kit ?

I up-rated mine with the Commonwealth Plywood fins and 29mm centering rings.

mojo1986 03-03-2015 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_G
More recently he did the decals from my scratch build design "Project Red Queen"

Very, VERY nice!!

A Fish Named Wallyum 03-03-2015 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_G

Wow! :cool: Did you do the black with an airbrush?

A Fish Named Wallyum 03-03-2015 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
VERY COOL Big Daddy, Bill !

Did you build it 'stock' or with the Commonwealth upgrade kit ?

I up-rated mine with the Commonwealth Plywood fins and 29mm centering rings.

I didn't know of the upgrade kit, but mine is 29mm powered. Might be basswood fins as well, but I can't say for sure.

A Fish Named Wallyum 03-03-2015 09:21 PM

I spent this evening putting the decals on my Miniscule Max, a BT-5 DRM, which is what got me thinking about this thread. Tonight when I got to work I was looking for one of my notebooks in the trunk and ran across a Hobby Lobby bag. I brought it in to see if anything was in it and found the Semroc nose cone that I bought last year for my BT-5 Estes Rogue. In addition to the BT-5 Max decals I also bought BT-5, BT-50 and BT-55 Rogue decals, so I'll have a lot to add to this thread in the coming weeks. :cool: