Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   FreeForAll (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   1:16 scale (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=11290)

nukemmcssret 06-25-2012 12:54 PM

1:16 scale

I built a Civil war replica cannon and want to make a diorama. I can not find any 1:16 scale figures. what is the ratio I read an inch on the model is like 16" on the real thing. Might have to get some clay and make them myself. Any help is appreciated. Chief :D

ghrocketman 06-25-2012 01:28 PM

1/16 is not a common scale size that I'm aware of, at least in plastic modeling.
Most everything is 1/32 or smaller.
Now if you move up to R/C Aircraft and the like, 1/6th, 1/4, and even 1/3 scale are fairly common.
In the R/C car field, 1/8, 1/10, and 1/24 are fairly common, but still no 1/16th.
Your scale size seems a bit "oddball"- you may have to create them on your own, or re-scale the cannon.

Cohetero-negro 06-25-2012 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukemmcssret
I built a Civil war replica cannon and want to make a diorama. I can not find any 1:16 scale figures. what is the ratio I read an inch on the model is like 16" on the real thing. Might have to get some clay and make them myself. Any help is appreciated. Chief :D

I SIMPLY did a google search and found:

http://www.google.com/search?q=1%3A...lient=firefox-a

DML and Mini-Art make 1/16 scale figures ...

Try contacting them for Civil War I figures. I know they are made because I used to sell them 10 years ago ... can't remember the brand name, but with a LITTLE effort you are sure to find them :)

Jonathan

nukemmcssret 06-25-2012 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohetero-negro
I SIMPLY did a google search and found:

http://www.google.com/search?q=1%3A...lient=firefox-a

DML and Mini-Art make 1/16 scale figures ...

Try contacting them for Civil War I figures. I know they are made because I used to sell them 10 years ago ... can't remember the brand name, but with a LITTLE effort you are sure to find them :)

Jonathan

Thanks Jonathan but you are confused. I fell for it at first also. I am looking for 1:16 scale not 1/16 scale two totally different scales. The 1:16 means that there are 16" real for 1" on the model. So I need people about 4 " tall. I found some 1:18 scale but they are not military. Since people back in the 1800's wher a tad shorter than today. I should be able to get away with the 1:18 scale.

mycrofte 06-25-2012 06:46 PM

Uh... I thought they were the same!?!

Cohetero-negro 06-25-2012 07:28 PM

Quote:
Thanks Jonathan but you are confused. I fell for it at first also. I am looking for 1:16 scale not 1/16 scale two totally different scales. The 1:16 means that there are 16" real for 1" on the model. So I need people about 4 " tall. I found some 1:18 scale but they are not military. Since people back in the 1800's wher a tad shorter than today. I should be able to get away with the 1:18 scale.

You are correct. Nothing is being made in that scale. Closest you can get is 1:32 or 1:30.

Best to find action fingures/toys close to your needs, then use them to make your own blanks, then molds, then figures.

Good luck

Jonathan

John Brohm 06-25-2012 09:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:
... I am looking for 1:16 scale not 1/16 scale two totally different scales. The 1:16 means that there are 16" real for 1" on the model. ...

Over the years the use of the word "scale" has been somewhat diluted, and often gets interchanged with "size". Coming from the architectural/engineering world, a scale is a special rule, usually a foot in length, and marked in ratios of units to the foot. This specially graduated rule allows a draftsman or estimator to "scale" off of a drawing for various project purposes.

So for example, the 1/4" (to the foot) scale on my Architect's rule sets 1/4" equal to one foot; that means there would be 48 of those guys in a full size foot, and hence something built (or drawn) to 1/4" scale would be 1/48th in size (1:48). That's a common "scale" (the more correct term would be "size") found in plastic models.

In this case here, 1:16 size is known as 3/4" scale, there being 16 of those units in a foot. Something built (or drawn) to 3/4" scale would be 1/16th in size, which is what is intended here in this thread, I believe.

When one says 1/16 scale, one could well mean 1/16th in size (which would indeed be 1:16 or 3/4" scale), but it could also mean the full size scale on the Architect's rule (1:1), where there are 16 divisions in one inch. Using this particular term ("1/16 scale") could be seen as a little ambiguous. More precise would be 1/16" scale, which would specifically be 1/192nd (1:192) in size, but would be much, much smaller than what is intended here, no doubt!

carbons4 06-26-2012 10:03 AM

1/16

Check with ERTL. Most of their die cast tractors are 1/16th scale. I think I have seen some figures.