Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   FreeForAll (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Astron Farside Poll (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=17623)

5x7 12-09-2018 10:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mine appear to be pretty straight, clearly not built to the plans, it was built in the mid to late 70s when I was a kid and I assume I did the fins like all the rockets before. I had fin warping from the sealer so added the dowels near the fin tips to straighten them out.

jeffyjeep 12-10-2018 08:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Oo! Oo!

Here's mine! Basswood fins. The yellow turned out to be lighter than I wanted.

Newbomb Turk 12-10-2018 04:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Built mine with straight fins. Flies great.

The only time I've ever intentionally canted fins was for the Twister, circa the 1970s.

LeeR 12-10-2018 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
Oo! Oo!

Here's mine! Basswood fins. The yellow turned out to be lighter than I wanted.

My Super Big Bertha is that color. I don’t remember what paint it is, but I wrote it down somewhere, so I would not use it again. :)

tbzep 12-10-2018 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
My Super Big Bertha is that color. I don’t remember what paint it is, but I wrote it down somewhere, so I would not use it again. :)

I had a can of Walmart yellow about 20 years ago that looked like that. Seems like it was Sun Yellow.

LeeR 12-10-2018 11:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
I had a can of Walmart yellow about 20 years ago that looked like that. Seems like it was Sun Yellow.

I looked it up, my SBB is Sun Yellow, but by Duplicolor! (It’s an ugly yellow that has a really beautiful finish ... ;) )

My Mega Mosquito is painted in my favorite yellow — Valspar Gold Abundance. But it’s Lowe’s Valspar, not Ace Valspar, and Lowe’s dropped the Valspar line. The Ace versions have different names for their colors. I am not sure if Ace’s yellow is the same as Gold Abundance.)

Here is that yellow. (If the fins looked splayed, they are. This is a very old scratch-build, before Estes came out with one. I guess when I enlarged the fin pattern 5X I missed getting the angle spot on. I should rename it the Squatty Mozzie ...)

So, Mr. Turk, Mr. Brohm, and Mr. Sams, what yellow did you gentlemen use?

Newbomb Turk 12-11-2018 09:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, Lee!

I believe I used Rustoleum #254155 Gloss Sunburst Yellow on my Farside. I use Rusto Farm & Implement Yellow for all of my Goblins.

I really like your Mega-Mosquito. Inspired artwork, too.

tbzep 12-11-2018 10:37 AM

Lee, that's a good, bright yellow. For those who want something a little more Goblin-esque (slight orange tint but still yellow), decent name brands will offer Caterpillar Yellow and School Bus Yellow to get you there.

I'm guessing the Farm Implement Yellow is a close match for John Deere Yellow without paying them a royalty to use the name.

BTW, everyone should take a nice long scrap of wood for each of the major colors and give it a base white coat. Whenever you buy a can tape off a strip and shoot a few coats. Jot down the brand and color name or number. That way you've got a record of it that will be there 10 years from now and you can instantly pick out the variety you want for that application.

Newbomb Turk 12-11-2018 10:58 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
I'm guessing the Farm Implement Yellow is a close match for John Deere Yellow without paying them a royalty to use the name.

BTW, everyone should take a nice long scrap of wood for each of the major colors and give it a base white coat. Whenever you buy a can tape off a strip and shoot a few coats. Jot down the brand and color name or number. That way you've got a record of it that will be there 10 years from now and you can instantly pick out the variety you want for that application.

Good guess. See the pictures attached of the generic tractor with no manufacturer name and the pronouncement of the matching previous colors.

Your long scrap of wood proposal, while complicated :rolleyes: , is genius.

John Brohm 12-11-2018 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR

So, Mr. Turk, Mr. Brohm, and Mr. Sams, what yellow did you gentlemen use?

Hi Lee;

The yellow I used was Dupli-Color Perfect Match Chrome Yellow. It’s a lacquer, which I prefer, mainly because it can be re-coated in 10 minutes, and cures up hard. The only “downside”, if you can call it that, is it cures to a semi-satin sheen, which usually means some kind of clear coat is needed depending on the sheen one is going for. But that re-coat time means a whole lot of painting can get done in one day.