Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Anybody have the Launch Pad's NIKE AJAX MIM-3A? (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=1201)

Zeus-cat 10-13-2006 05:46 PM

Anybody have the Launch Pad's NIKE AJAX MIM-3A?

I am thinking of asking for the Launch Pad's NIKE AJAX MIM-3A for Christmas. Does anyone have this kit? I was wondering how high it goes on three D12-5 motors. I have bought a few Launch Pad kits in the past and they are good kits. Is this one good too?

snuggles 10-13-2006 09:00 PM

Nike Ajax

The Nike Ajax goes pretty good on three D12s. However, when I build my other kit.I think I'm gonna use a 29mm MMT. I wasn't a big fan of the centering rings provided in the kit. They seemed awfully flimsy.Also the interstage area (where the 1st and 2nd stages attach)
needed a LOT of reinforcement, there wasn't much support for such a long upper stage tube.
My 2 cents
Mark T

Zeus-cat 10-14-2006 07:57 AM

Thanks for the info Snuggles. The kit doesn't sound so great. I am considering buying parts from Semroc and building my own version now.

zeke1312 10-17-2006 07:43 AM

www.greatlanding.com

Shows one TLP Ajax kit available. They had 3 a month ago. Get your's now! I can't say how it flys or comment on the overall body strength but when built, it's impressive looking. It takes some time to build and requires somewhat more than basic building skills. TLP rates the build level of 4 I believe. With 15 fins, have fun building!

sandman 10-17-2006 10:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuggles
The Nike Ajax goes pretty good on three D12s.
Mark T

Here's a boost of mine on D12's.

It flew GREAT to about 400'! but...

It wasn't intill I retrieved it that I discovered only 2 of the 3 D12's lit!

Just build it light.

NJNike 08-22-2008 11:58 AM

Okay guys, this might be a stupid question, but where did you put your launch lug on this kit? The instructions make no mention of this and the rings around the forward end of the "booster" section will be in the way. So where is it supposed to go?

sandman 08-22-2008 01:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJNike
Okay guys, this might be a stupid question, but where did you put your launch lug on this kit? The instructions make no mention of this and the rings around the forward end of the "booster" section will be in the way. So where is it supposed to go?

You have to make a small "stand-off" out of scrap balsa for the launch lug.

This drawing should explain it.

These details are from my kit which is a bit different than TLP's kit.

NJNike 08-22-2008 02:37 PM

Thanks a million, Sandman. I'm trying to get this all finished up for our sport launch on Sunday and I was thinking of just mounting it on an offset piece like that, but I wanted to check with more knowledgeable folks like yourself before making my move.

jetlag 08-22-2008 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman
You have to make a small "stand-off" out of scrap balsa for the launch lug.

This drawing should explain it.

These details are from my kit which is a bit different than TLP's kit.

Sandman's Ajax, like his other kits, is simply AWESOME in every respect.

sandman 08-22-2008 07:23 PM