Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   FreeForAll (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Poll: Whats Your Biggest Rocket Mishap (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=11838)

MPRocket 11-07-2012 08:11 PM

Poll: Whats Your Biggest Rocket Mishap

Heres mine:

5-13-08:

The Photon Express was the prime jewel of my 25 rocket collection. Built from scratch, it had a 29mm mount that could take up to a G-40 engine that propelled 47 inches of silver balsa, cardboard, and glue. It had been with me for years. On this fateful day, i was launching on a simple f-26, nothing huge. I put the crown jewel on the pad. I FORGOT TO CHECK TO MAKE SURE BOTH LUGS WERE ON THE ROD. As a result, the rocket took off at an almost horizontal angle, and slammed into the hard, unforgiving ground, decimating the mighty bird. Since that horrific event, i always check the lug lineup so i dont lose another rocket like in the Tragedy of the Photon Express.

A Fish Named Wallyum 11-07-2012 09:47 PM

http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showt...t=empire+bomarc

ghrocketman 12-27-2018 06:25 AM

A C5-3 from the "bad batch" grenading my first Mars Lander built from an early Estes "pre boxed" bagged kit.
Have had some Powr-Prangs, but those were deliberate.

PaulK 12-27-2018 07:54 AM

1:64 Sirius Saturn V, on its maiden flight, I used the recommended I-284, which came with the new EZ closure style. The ejection went off while under thrust, at high velocity a few hundred feet in the air. Both parachutes were ripped out, and the two sections came tumbling down. The upper section (IU, SLA, SM, CM, LES) was completely destroyed, the lower section hit the ground while horizontal, and bounced a few feet! While the damage was non-trivial, it ultimately was repairable, though still shows scars.

Aerotech replaced my reload with a standard closure type, and took the RMS-EZ off the market a few weeks later.

ghrocketman 12-27-2018 12:31 PM

Paul, you do disasters RIIIIIGHT !

I like a good cato / prang, but would hate to see that with any rocket that nice/complex whether mine or not. Major bummr.

I once deliberately powr-pranged an old beat-up Comanche 3 on a D12-0 to C6-7 ( in 2nd stage to ensure the sustainer was pointed straight DOWN on ignition) to B14-5. The impact was impressive.

LeeR 12-27-2018 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulK
1:64 Sirius Saturn V, on its maiden flight, I used the recommended I-284, which came with the new EZ closure style. The ejection went off while under thrust, at high velocity a few hundred feet in the air. Both parachutes were ripped out, and the two sections came tumbling down. The upper section (IU, SLA, SM, CM, LES) was completely destroyed, the lower section hit the ground while horizontal, and bounced a few feet! While the damage was non-trivial, it ultimately was repairable, though still shows scars.

Aerotech replaced my reload with a standard closure type, and took the RMS-EZ off the market a few weeks later.

I think you win. I cannot imagine a sicker feeling than losing a Sirius Saturn V.

Dare I say ... Siriusly sickening ... :rolleyes:

Really though, such an incredibly model.

erik442 12-27-2018 09:03 PM

4 Attachment(s)
My second Maxi Alpha on an E9-6. Fortunately my wife got the whole thing on video, including the spectators diving for cover. :D
I posted only the CATO picture last spring but it's so good I think it deserves a second look.
Just the fins were salvaged and it was rebuilt into a sturdier 29mm version using LOC Precision parts. It flys great on F and G motors.

tbzep 12-27-2018 09:21 PM

Biggest? Blown nozzle on an M3000 EX motor in my 1/2 scale Aerobee Hi.

jeffyjeep 12-27-2018 11:28 PM

A water landing of an AstroCam 110 with 18 exposures on the roll.

LeeR 12-28-2018 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
A water landing of an AstroCam 110 with 18 exposures on the roll.

Did you retrieve it? Would be cool to see them. I love underwater photography .... :rolleyes: