Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Currell V2 Model (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=17707)

GuyNoir 01-22-2019 07:47 AM

Currell V2 Model

1 Attachment(s)
Just finished up a new Currell V2 model for the next flying season.

https://currell.net/models/v2.htm

I've built a few of these, and am constantly tweaking the techniques used to get a sturdier model. In this case, I added more of a balsa core on the fins vs. previous version which used a balsa frame outline. Looks like it will be much sturdier.

To the left is the next project: a rebuild of my Camroc / Astron Delta clone which met its demise at NARAM 60. This time , the Camroc will be a 3D printed version instead of hand rolled tube, carrying two 808 cameras.

mojo1986 01-22-2019 10:15 AM

Your V-2 looks excellent!

Newbomb Turk 01-22-2019 02:04 PM

Very cool finish on that V-2.

I've been flying off and on since the early 70s, but I've never owned one. Just bought my first a couple of days ago. Haven't decided which paint scheme to use.

tbzep 01-22-2019 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbomb Turk
Haven't decided which paint scheme to use.

Generic camo is super easy and no taping is needed. With the wide spread availability of flat greens and browns in sporting goods stores, you can make it look good easily.
The classic German camo takes a little work to look right. You can't go wrong with the US Army's black and white (or yellow) roll pattern. It looks good but takes some effort also.

My uncle was a company clerk for a P-47 squadron in Europe in 44-45. He said a couple of captured V-2's made a stop at his base for a day or two on their way to being shipped to the US. He remembered them being solid green. I don't know how many operational V-2's were painted that way vs camo. If the majority were, that would be the easiest and most accurate paint scheme. I imagine they used the same shade of green as their panzers and planes.

Of course, Bunny's didn't need painting. ;) :cool:

astronwolf 01-22-2019 03:21 PM

How much does a model like that weigh?

GuyNoir 01-23-2019 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronwolf
How much does a model like that weigh?

96 grams, or 3.3 ounces empty. Most of that is obviously nose weight. The last model I had flew OK on B6-4's and great on C6-5's.

tbzep 01-23-2019 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNoir
96 grams, or 3.3 ounces empty. Most of that is obviously nose weight. The last model I had flew OK on B6-4's and great on C6-5's.

That's one of the cool things about the cardstock models. They are great for small fields. My son built a Little Joe II that flew great on B6-4's. IIRC it was about 3.25" in diameter and about 22" tall. We could have flown and landed it on a little league field easily (they are usually about 200'-215' to dead center field).
Intruder's Little Joe II

astronwolf 01-23-2019 10:59 AM

Quote:

Not bad for a model rocket that looks to be around 2-inches in diameter and still can be flown with a C-motor.

GlenP 01-23-2019 04:31 PM

Looks great! Did you clear coat it yet? I like to use a satin or semi gloss on these. I printed one up, but one of my ink colors was low so it looked really crappy. So I just built the body tube as a throw away practice, it came out really nice, except for the strange colors. I will have to give that one a try again. Would do well as a 72% size for 13mm power probably.

For your model rocket parts: 18mm engine mount tube, thrust ring, & centering rings did you make your own from cardstock as well?

rocket.aero 01-23-2019 07:37 PM

Quote:
Just finished up a new Currell V2 model for the next flying season.

This forum needs a "like" button.