Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   S-125 Goa Build (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=6346)

JumpJet 12-28-2009 05:58 PM

GOA Booster Fin

5 Attachment(s)
I worked on the Booster fin today. I've got a ton of work to do on it to get it ready but here are a few photos of its construction. I started with a sheet of 1/4" thick Bass. I simply glued the air foil templates to the root and tip edges. I small wood plan was used to remove most of the wood, a sanding block was then used for the final shaping.

The Actual shape or the root fin is much thicker so a paper\plywood template was glued to the root cord. Thick balsa sheet stock was glued to the area needed. Again the wood plan and sanding block was used to shape the balsa. The root edge then needed to be cut to the correct shape. This reveals the pivot of the fin. A coat of finishing resin has been replied and once it is dried I will do some final shaping to the fin. A ton a detail including raised rivet details need to be applied before this master fin is complete.

JumpJet 12-29-2009 04:13 PM

Booster Fin

2 Attachment(s)
I did a little more work since my last post. I sanded the finishing resin and added a couple coats of primer and Bondo Spot putty where needed to smooth things out. Next, I need to add more wood to the hinge pivot area to thicken it up plus add some fin root and tip details plus rivets.

Can anyone point me to a small reliable electronic staging device too ignite the upper stage on this model? I was hoping to us a 1 or 2 cell Lipo Battery for the power source.

sandman 12-29-2009 05:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I did some "one off" parts a few years back for a HPR SA-2 Guidline.

5.5" booster to a 4" sustainer.

I should have made molds.

JumpJet 12-29-2009 05:31 PM

Very Nice

Very Nicely done. Yes you should have made molds since you never know if another set of parts would be needed in the future.

John Boren

BlackBrant 12-29-2009 05:59 PM

You see now....this is the kind of stuff I would like to see on the market ,I build mostly scale and these would be high on my list,although I realize a very niche market.

Gordy ,did you ever sell those parts ?

BB

JumpJet 01-04-2010 10:34 PM

Tail Cone

1 Attachment(s)
It might not look like anything else has been done to this part since it left the wood lathe but there is at least another six hours of labor in it. Another coat or so of primer and it will be ready to have the rivet details applied. The large sunken in rectangle areas get cut away after the part is molded to allow the hinge to protrude through.

JumpJet 01-16-2010 08:50 PM

Goa

I've been busy bulding other contest rockets lately so I haven't done anything new on this model. Since there has been very little feed back on this thread I was just wondering if anyone is still interested in seeing further updates on this project.

BlackBrant 01-16-2010 10:03 PM

OH YES INDEED !!

I`ve been wondering where you`ve been. Please post as much as you can and often please.

I love military scale rockets and sounding as well (It`s mostly all i build) so this thread is of great interest to me a least.

Check your PM`s

Paul

sandman 01-16-2010 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpJet
Very Nicely done. Yes you should have made molds since you never know if another set of parts would be needed in the future.

John Boren

John, 20 20 hindsite!

The guy I made the parts for emailed me...he had a lawn dart with it and wants me to make him another.

You were right. :rolleyes:

ScaleNut 01-17-2010 12:08 AM

yes please keep posting , I am very interested in the model or parts derived from it.