Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Building Techniques (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Tools of the trade (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=2576)

tmacklin 05-30-2015 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShieldWolf
It's very "ghetto", but I saved the top rack out of our old dishwasher, and use that for a paint/drying rack. It's large enough to be stable while holding a Leviathan, and can hold 13mm rockets securely.

Down in Texas, we call that "repurposing". ;)

ShieldWolf 05-30-2015 09:01 PM

I speak fluent Texan

tmacklin, Texas born & raised here. Grew up on a working ranch. We "repurposed" just about everything. By the tine we scrapped something, it was used and re-used until it was used up.

I said "ghetto" for the benefit of our northern neighbors on the forum. :)

tmacklin 05-30-2015 09:35 PM

Quote:
tmacklin, Texas born & raised here. Grew up on a working ranch. We "repurposed" just about everything. By the tine we scrapped something, it was used and re-used until it was used up.

I said "ghetto" for the benefit of our northern neighbors on the forum. :)

Well ShieldWolf I'm not born and raised Texan but I got here as soon as I could! LOL! :D

o1d_dude 05-31-2015 01:31 AM

Out here on the Liberal Left Coast, folks here would call that "up-cycling".

In the Central Valley of Cali, we'd just call it Okie...a John Steinbeck reference.

Joe Wooten 05-31-2015 06:52 AM

Quote:
tmacklin, Texas born & raised here. Grew up on a working ranch.

What part? I was born and raised in the Garden City area (Glasscock Co).

ShieldWolf 05-31-2015 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Wooten
What part? I was born and raised in the Garden City area (Glasscock Co).

Central Texas. Robertson County, population <18,000. Due north of Bryan/College Station, home of Texas A&M University.

The Powder Burn in Hearne was in Robertson County. I never made it, due to my work schedule at the time, but I understood that it brought out a decent crowd from the Houston Area.

We should probably get this thread back on track now. :)

One of the things I have found very useful to have is a folding card table. Sometimes you just need a little extra space to lay things out, and don't have room in your work area for a permanent table. I got mine on sale at True Value Hardware. Besides the legs folding in, the table top folds in half to leave ne with a package about 2 'x 4' x 3" thick. I can hide it behind my desk, toss it in the car, etc. The larger 6' long tables are just too awkward for most of my needs.

ghrocketman 05-31-2015 04:56 PM

+1 for the folding card table.
When I have an R/C aircraft on the building bench, I use a card table for building rockets.

dk54321 06-07-2016 01:50 AM

I picked up a cheap knock-off of Black & Decker's Workmate for $5 at a garage sale. I can crank open the gap to match the diameter of the rocket I'm working on. It folds for transport, so I bring it to launches for a rocket prepping table.