Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Mission Control (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Scheduled TORC launch, S. Charleston, Ohio - 3/31/12 (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=10915)

A Fish Named Wallyum 03-28-2012 01:59 AM

Scheduled TORC launch, S. Charleston, Ohio - 3/31/12

Looking iffy at the moment, but just in case the rocket gawdz look kindly upon me, I've been prepping my big field rockets like mad. I have an Estes Optima clone that's finished except for the Mylar tape that should be arriving this week. E9 powered, as you may have suspected. :rolleyes: I was painting the FSI Intrepid today after deliberating on colors for the last month or so. In the end I decided on a red/white/black scheme. :o Hardly the soul of originality, but I retain the right to be boring. This one will be an E9 powered bird for single engine flights and E9/D11P for cluster flights. (Assuming I can borrow a clip whip.) I should also have the Nova upscale painted and decaled. Going with the metal flake navy blue and white with a NOVA SS decal on one fin. :cool: Then there's the Centuri USS America, which I hope to do on C11, D12 and E9 over the course of the day.
Other birds for possible first flight duty: FSI Viking III, Viking IV upscale, Centuri Design Contest X-Wing Fighter, Jay's Scram Jet upscale, and a return to flight for the repaired Viking VI.
Other cool news: I picked up a second micro-SD card so that I can have one keychain cam pointing up and the other pointing down. Figuring on the Optima being the most likely bird for this duty, but the Viking IV and USS America could also be pressed into service.

tbzep 03-28-2012 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Looking iffy at the moment, but just in case the rocket gawdz look kindly upon me, I've been prepping my big field rockets like mad. I have an Estes Optima clone that's finished except for the Mylar tape that should be arriving this week. E9 powered, as you may have suspected. :rolleyes:

That one needs to be CHAD staged, D12 to E9. :cool: It should be plenty stable and the D12 will hopefully get it going vertically, which I can't say confidently about a single E9. :eek:

mwtoelle 03-28-2012 12:47 PM

My Estes Shadow (2094) has successfully flown on an E9-4. It has also flown on a F21.

A Fish Named Wallyum 03-28-2012 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
That one needs to be CHAD staged, D12 to E9. :cool: It should be plenty stable and the D12 will hopefully get it going vertically, which I can't say confidently about a single E9. :eek:

(Heavy sigh.) You guys and your crazy katzenjammer RocSim stuff. :rolleyes: I won't try the E9 if it's windy, but in calm conditions I think it'll be okay. :cool:

A Fish Named Wallyum 03-28-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwtoelle
My Estes Shadow (2094) has successfully flown on an E9-4. It has also flown on a F21.

Yeah, I flew a BT-80 Wizard at NARAM last year without any problems. The Optima might be lighter.

tbzep 03-28-2012 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
(Heavy sigh.) You guys and your crazy katzenjammer RocSim stuff. :rolleyes: I won't try the E9 if it's windy, but in calm conditions I think it'll be okay. :cool:

I never use RocSim. I've played around with OpenRocket, but never actually used it for anything. I use the TLAR (that looks about right) method. I just know the E9 with a big rocket is just begging to tip off a bit, wind or not. If it does, it will arc and arc and we might get to see pics of what's left! :D Besides, you like those E9's in itty bitty FSI birds, so I figured you'd like the added altitude of a D12 to E9 CHAD stage. :cool:

A Fish Named Wallyum 03-28-2012 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
I never use RocSim. I've played around with OpenRocket, but never actually used it for anything. I use the TLAR (that looks about right) method. I just know the E9 with a big rocket is just begging to tip off a bit, wind or not. If it does, it will arc and arc and we might get to see pics of what's left! :D Besides, you like those E9's in itty bitty FSI birds, so I figured you'd like the added altitude of a D12 to E9 CHAD stage. :cool:

:D Yeah, the CHAD staged setup would be more authentic for my FSI clones, altitude-wise. :cool:
I've never used RocSim either. I tried to do an OpenRocket file on my Zorch rocket last summer, but it's not quite idiot-proof enough for me just yet. :rolleyes: I just go with common sense, and we've seen where that gets me. :eek:

A Fish Named Wallyum 03-28-2012 09:40 PM

I went to paint the upscale FSI Nova tonight before dinner. The paint I bought was a Testor's metal flake navy blue lacquer. I bought it a few months back and I've really been looking forward to having something to use it on. Peeled the paper away, popped the cap, and NO NOZZLE!! In the 40 years that I've been using rattle cans I don't remember this ever happening before. It was the only lacquer paint I had, so I was hesitant to just pick a nozzle from an enamel can, but in the end it was my only choice. Luckily there was no issue with paint compatibility inside the nozzle, or at least I don't think there was. :rolleyes: The paint came out looking great. Tomorrow I'm hoping to print out the NOVA SS decals and have it RTF for Saturday. (Rain chance is down to 30% again. :confused: )

A Fish Named Wallyum 03-30-2012 02:56 AM

Well, the Nova SS is in flying shape. I still think it needs something on that big white upper tube. Thinking about a Cherry Bomb Mufflers sticker if I can find a scan. The Cone would appreciate that. :D

When I went to apply the decal, (homemade, not one of Gordon's,) it began to tear and distort and refused to slide off the backing paper. I was literally about to stand up to throw it away when it slid slightly, so I gave it another try. There might be some imperfections very close up, but I was pretty happy with how it looked. :cool:

Vanel 03-30-2012 10:44 AM

Very nice Bill!