Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Centuri cloning (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=53)

A Fish Named Wallyum 03-23-2005 10:30 PM

1988? Geez, I was still single then. (And six years away from rediscovering the hobby.)

SEL 03-23-2005 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
1988? Geez, I was still single then. (And six years away from rediscovering the hobby.)

I was still single too, and subsidising ACME and Commonwealth Displays ;)

A Fish Named Wallyum 03-23-2005 11:06 PM

You should have called. I was approaching my mid-20's and probably would have been receptive to getting back into the hobby. I actually kept in touch with rocketry just by grabbing an Estes catalog and checking out the stock at our local Johnny's Toys. I'd occasionally pick a rocket up, but I lacked the interest to finish them. I'm still hoping to find the Centuri Mini-Dactyl that I bought for under a buck at some point in the 80's. I know it sat on my bookshelf in my parent's house before I left.

SEL 03-23-2005 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
You should have called. I was approaching my mid-20's and probably would have been receptive to getting back into the hobby. I actually kept in touch with rocketry just by grabbing an Estes catalog and checking out the stock at our local Johnny's Toys. I'd occasionally pick a rocket up, but I lacked the interest to finish them. I'm still hoping to find the Centuri Mini-Dactyl that I bought for under a buck at some point in the 80's. I know it sat on my bookshelf in my parent's house before I left.

Ahhh, the Mini_Dactyl. Thats one kit that I never picked up, tho Commonwealth had them for a while. One of these days I'll scan one of the old ACME and Commonwealth price lists, and send it to Scott to post. 'Course, it'll probably send half the group into severe depression when they see the prices....

Sean

Tweener 03-24-2005 12:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The only two I've cloned so far, Thunder Roc in production. I'm also considering a Jayhawk (not Magnum); I had one of those in my teens too. The decals will be difficult though. There's white print in them.

A Fish Named Wallyum 03-24-2005 12:57 AM

I still have an original Jayhawk, but it's in rough shape. I launched it once since rescuing it for a bargain rate on Ebay, but it landed hard and bent a fibre fin and lost one of the little fins from up front. I don't have a pic of it, but I'll see what I can do. It's one of four original Centuri kits that I own, along with an unpainted Mach 10, a Screaming Eagle, and an as yet unbuilt Buck Rogers bad guy ship.

Eagle3 03-24-2005 06:20 AM

Mod Note - Moved from FreeForAll to Projects

gpoehlein 03-24-2005 07:01 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The only centuri rocket I've cloned so far is the X-24 Bug. I haven't glide-balanced it yet, and it still needs a couple of coats of clear gloss. Pretty easy build once I figured out that the nose cone from the Estes Yankee was virtually identical to the nose from the Bug. Went together pretty quick too. I think it will be a lot of fun!

Ltvscout 03-24-2005 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
One of these days I'll scan one of the old ACME and Commonwealth price lists, and send it to Scott to post. 'Course, it'll probably send half the group into severe depression when they see the prices....

Heh, ya, I've seen some of their old ads. I'll let you know when I'm finished building my time machine. ;) I'm going to go back and buy up a few cases of Centuri 1/45th LJ II's. :D

Ltvscout 03-24-2005 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweener
The only two I've cloned so far, Thunder Roc in production. I'm also considering a Jayhawk (not Magnum); I had one of those in my teens too. The decals will be difficult though. There's white print in them.

I believe the ALPS printers can do white. Phred at Excelsior or Tom at Tango Papa can do them for you.