Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   SVDT - Semroc Virtual Design Team (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   First Discontinued Kits (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=2044)

Carl@Semroc 08-17-2007 08:59 PM

First Discontinued Kits

After long deliberations, we have decided to discontinue all the CC: Kits. We are out of stock on the Space Plane and X-21 and do not plan on re-kitting the SST Shuttle as a cc: kit when they are gone.

Almost all our complaints and warranty issues have been with the cc: kits.
1. No instructions in kit.
2. Links broken to instructions or can't get to the internet.
3. Bad design.
4. Poorly written instructions.
5. Not up to Semroc's standards.

Far too many customers missed the point of building historically significant kits using Vern's instructions and Lee's instructions. Several people said we should re-release them with "better parts" and Semroc written instructions.

I don't think they were around in the "Old Days." :D

Ltvscout 08-17-2007 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
After long deliberations, we have decided to discontinue all the CC: Kits. We are out of stock on the Space Plane and X-21 and do not plan on re-kitting the SST Shuttle as a cc: kit when they are gone.

Almost all our complaints and warranty issues have been with the cc: kits.
1. No instructions in kit.
2. Links broken to instructions or can't get to the internet.
3. Bad design.
4. Poorly written instructions.
5. Not up to Semroc's standards.

Far too many customers missed the point of building historically significant kits using Vern's instructions and Lee's instructions. Several people said we should re-release them with "better parts" and Semroc written instructions.

I don't think they were around in the "Old Days." :D

Eeek! Looks like I'll have to search around for those at other online vendors since I think I only bought "collector" copies of them.

There aren't any broken links for instructions on my site, are there?

Ltvscout 08-17-2007 09:11 PM

Carl,

Do you have a vendor list you could send me so I can more easily find who has those in stock still?

Carl@Semroc 08-17-2007 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Carl,

Do you have a vendor list you could send me so I can more easily find who has those in stock still?
Uncle Mike and JonRocket are possibilities.

Carl@Semroc 08-17-2007 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
There aren't any broken links for instructions on my site, are there?
Jimz was down for a while.

Initiator001 08-17-2007 09:33 PM

Sorry to hear the 'cc' concept didn't work out, Carl.

For the record, what was/would have been KCC-2? :confused:

Bob

rraeford 08-17-2007 09:40 PM

Carl,

An idea ahead of its time – I guess.... Any chance you'll keep them listed so parts can be ordered all together to make a clone the way that some kits (e.g. Stiletto and Black Widow) are? Hope so.

I hate that for you guys. It seemed like a brilliant idea.

BTW, since the SST engine parts were made, is there any chance the Quasar USS America might make it to your retro-repro kit list?

Romie

CPMcGraw 08-17-2007 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
After long deliberations, we have decided to discontinue all the CC: Kits. We are out of stock on the Space Plane and X-21 and do not plan on re-kitting the SST Shuttle as a cc: kit when they are gone... Several people said we should re-release them with "better parts" and Semroc written instructions...

Carl,

Does this mean you might consider releasing these again WITH instruction booklets at a future date? (Perhaps if someone actually sat down and wrote them up? Say, someone who's already opened his mouth about a couple other models recently? :o :D :rolleyes: )

Carl@Semroc 08-17-2007 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
Sorry to hear the 'cc' concept didn't work out, Carl.

For the record, what was/would have been KCC-2? :confused:

Bob
It was going to be the Coaster Centauri (another glider) but a promised set of plans were not forthcoming. When they were published on YORP, it was obvious that they would not be enough, even for a cc: kit. The Centauri will be released as KV-3 sometimes in the future. The 1/4" balsa wings are a problem right now with laser-cutting.

We still might do some cc: kits in the future, but only if the instructions are VERY clear. I think part of the problem was hobby stores selling cc: kits to non-computer savvy customers thinking it was a complete kit with easy to follow instructions included. I don't think we had complaints from our online customers.

We are still learning!

Carl@Semroc 08-17-2007 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rraeford
Carl,

An idea ahead of its time – I guess.... Any chance you'll keep them listed so parts can be ordered all together to make a clone the way that some kits (e.g. Stiletto and Black Widow) are? Hope so.

I hate that for you guys. It seemed like a brilliant idea.

BTW, since the SST engine parts were made, is there any chance the Quasar USS America might make it to your retro-repro kit list?

Romie
We will keep the parts online. In fact, we are still expanding the available parts even if we are not doing the kits.

The PNC-165 nose cone for the Quasar and USS America is a stumbling block. The lack of a C5-3 is also a problem for the Super Kits.