Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   FreeForAll (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Vintage Saturn on Vintage TV Show (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=4410)

tbzep 12-30-2008 01:13 AM

Vintage Saturn on Vintage TV Show

I was just watching an episode of "Emergency!" online where I saw an Estes Saturn V and Tilt-a-pad. It was season two, episode seven about 30 minutes in. The rocket was portrayed as an aluminum skinned zinc and sulphur rocket that exploded, but it was obvious that it was an Estes Saturn V that the prop department defiled for the scene. Looks like they modded the Tilt-a-pad also. Scigs30, you need that episode....combines a vintage show, with a vintage rocket and lets us look back at some vintage movie firefighting equipment and gear.

I've been watching the episodes via streaming video on Hulu.com.

A Fish Named Wallyum 12-30-2008 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
I was just watching an episode of "Emergency!" online where I saw an Estes Saturn V and Tilt-a-pad. It was season two, episode seven about 30 minutes in. The rocket was portrayed as an aluminum skinned zinc and sulphur rocket that exploded, but it was obvious that it was an Estes Saturn V that the prop department defiled for the scene. Looks like they modded the Tilt-a-pad also. Scigs30, you need that episode....combines a vintage show, with a vintage rocket and lets us look back at some vintage movie firefighting equipment and gear.

I've been watching the episodes via streaming video on Hulu.com.

One of my favorite shows as a kid, right up there with Adam-12. (I believe that either Reed and Malloy or Gage and Desoto made appearances on the other series at at least one point.) I think of it whenever I hear that Tubes song "What Do You Want From Life".

"Well, you can't have that, but if you're an American citizen you are entitled to:
a heated kidney shaped pool,
a microwave oven--don't watch the food cook,
a Dyna-Gym--I'll personally demonstrate it in the privacy of your own home,
a king-size Titanic unsinkable Molly Brown waterbed with polybendum,
a foolproof plan and an airtight alibi,
real simulated Indian jewelry,
a Gucci shoetree,
a year's supply of antibiotics,
a personally autographed picture of Randy Mantooth
and Bob Dylan's new unlisted phone number,
a beautifully restored 3rd Reich swizzle stick,
Rosemary's baby,
a dream date in kneepads with Paul Williams,
a new Matador, a new mastodon,
a Maverick, a Mustang, a Montego,
a Merc Montclair, a Mark IV, a meteor,
a Mercedes, an MG, or a Malibu,
a Mort Moriarty, a Maserati, a Mac truck,
a Mazda, a new Monza, or a moped,
a Winnebago--Hell, a herd of Winnebago's we're giving 'em away,
or how about a McCulloch chainsaw,
a Las Vegas wedding,
a Mexican divorce,
a solid gold Kama Sutra coffee pot,
or a baby's arm holding an apple?"

marslndr 12-30-2008 08:12 AM

Wow! Triple flashback! I used to watch both those shows every week and I had the that Tubes album. (I think I still do).

All this and I just got back from my friends house where we drank beer, and watched old episodes of the Prisoner, the Invaders, UFO, and Space 1999. Major flashbacks!

Mark

Still 16 I guess.

tbzep 12-30-2008 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
One of my favorite shows as a kid, right up there with Adam-12. (I believe that either Reed and Malloy or Gage and Desoto made appearances on the other series at at least one point.)

You are correct. Both were Jack Webb (Dragnet) shows and got some cross publicity in more than one episode. Tying it together even more, Julie Loundon (Dixie) had been married to Jack Webb, but during the run of the show, she was actually married to Bobby Troup (Dr. Early). On the show, Dixie was dating Dr. Brackett. :rolleyes:

o1d_dude 12-30-2008 06:51 PM

Dang! We're full of trivia today.

Not only do I still have the Tubes album in question, I have on tape (somewhere) pre-release versions of 'What Do You Want From Life' and 'White Punks On Dope' that played on radio station KSAN back in the day. The Tubes (pronounced "Da Toobs") were a favorite local band in San Francisco at the time and their promos were always on the air.

A Fish Named Wallyum 12-30-2008 09:35 PM

"a foolproof plan and an airtight alibi"

I'd trade all the rest for these two. :D

sandman 12-30-2008 10:57 PM

One of the best bits on the show "CHiPs" was when "Ponch" pulled over Broderick Crawford (THE original Highway Patrol!) and got him to say "10-4".

tbzep 12-30-2008 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman
One of the best bits on the show "CHiPs" was when "Ponch" pulled over Broderick Crawford (THE original Highway Patrol!) and got him to say "10-4".

Speaking of CHiPs, I believe I remember Squad 51 making an appearance in that show too...but not Gage and DeSoto. I think Emergency! was already canceled by then.

Leo 01-01-2009 05:40 AM

Just watched the Emergency! clip. Not so easy from Germany.

Thanks for the tip :)

rokitflite 01-01-2009 10:57 PM

Does anyone remember the Wonder Woman episode with the "mind controlled" rocket? It was an Estes Pershing 1-A painted orange. They even showed a launch. If I recall correctly it was off a tilt-a-pad on top of a 55 gallon drum. :D