Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   FreeForAll (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   La Spev est perdu; est mort!! Merde et merde encore! (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=14172)

Royatl 07-17-2014 07:17 PM

La Spev est perdu; est mort!! Merde et merde encore!

Forgive my probably bad french grammar. (and we'll see if the profanity filter is i18n'ed)

Yesterday was the 46th anniversary of my first model rocket launch. As is my custom, I find somewhere to launch a rocket around 6pm each year on July 16.

I took three rockets to the only park in Atlanta where rockets are allowed, Garrard Landing Park, a little sliver of Alpharetta between Roswell and Norcross on the Chattahoochee River.

At 6:04 I flew an Alpha on an A8-3. The winds were stiff and took the little rocket all the way to the other side of the field, just before the trees that separated the field from the river. This was the official anniversary flight and I should have quit while I was ahead.

My Big Bertha had a 12" parachute, so I sent it up on a B6-4. It, too, used all the field, but landed near the edge, and I got it back.

Finally, for some crazy reason (maybe it was just time) I decided to fly my 37 year old Spev on a C6-3. There were 250+ flights on it, though I lost official count twenty years ago when its 175th flight took it for a one week stay on some power lines next to a high school (amazingly, it fell off a few days later, and landed in some weeds, protecting it from prying high schoolers' eyes until I could get by to pick it up).

I had just started flying it again a couple of months ago after a five year hiatus. I've got two BMS built clones, and two Semroc versions ready to be built, but the Spev was one of the go-to anniversary rockets over the years, so I decided to go for it. I aimed the rocket about 10-15 degrees into the wind to compensate and attempt to land closer. The wind calmed down, but this guy started coming towards me, walking four dogs, so I waited. As he passed I told him the dogs might not like the sound. He appreciated the warning, but did nothing to accellerate or divert his path, so I waited a little longer. The wind then resumed and I didn't notice a slight change. The Spev lifted off in the proper direction-- good chute-- and started going in a completely different direction from the previous two rockets. Ended up fifty feet up and about thirty feet into a thicket of trees. Had it gone the direction of the other two rockets, it would have landed in the middle of the field, as I intended.

Rockets are meant to be flown, and if you can't stand to lose 'em you probably shouldn't be in the hobby. So, c'est la vie.

bernomatic 07-17-2014 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
Forgive my probably bad french grammar. (and we'll see if the profanity filter is i18n'ed)

Yesterday was the 46th anniversary of my first model rocket launch. As is my custom, I find somewhere to launch a rocket around 6pm each year on July 16.

I took three rockets to the only park in Atlanta where rockets are allowed, Garrard Landing Park, a little sliver of Alpharetta between Roswell and Norcross on the Chattahoochee River.

At 6:04 I flew an Alpha on an A8-3. The winds were stiff and took the little rocket all the way to the other side of the field, just before the trees that separated the field from the river. This was the official anniversary flight and I should have quit while I was ahead.

My Big Bertha had a 12" parachute, so I sent it up on a B6-4. It, too, used all the field, but landed near the edge, and I got it back.

Finally, for some crazy reason (maybe it was just time) I decided to fly my 37 year old Spev on a C6-3. There were 250+ flights on it, though I lost official count twenty years ago when its 175th flight took it for a one week stay on some power lines next to a high school (amazingly, it fell off a few days later, and landed in some weeds, protecting it from prying high schoolers' eyes until I could get by to pick it up).

I had just started flying it again a couple of months ago after a five year hiatus. I've got two BMS built clones, and two Semroc versions ready to be built, but the Spev was one of the go-to anniversary rockets over the years, so I decided to go for it. I aimed the rocket about 10-15 degrees into the wind to compensate and attempt to land closer. The wind calmed down, but this guy started coming towards me, walking four dogs, so I waited. As he passed I told him the dogs might not like the sound. He appreciated the warning, but did nothing to accellerate or divert his path, so I waited a little longer. The wind then resumed and I didn't notice a slight change. The Spev lifted off in the proper direction-- good chute-- and started going in a completely different direction from the previous two rockets. Ended up fifty feet up and about thirty feet into a thicket of trees. Had it gone the direction of the other two rockets, it would have landed in the middle of the field, as I intended.

Rockets are meant to be flown, and if you can't stand to lose 'em you probably shouldn't be in the hobby. So, c'est la vie.

A moment of silence for your loss, but only when the confirmation has come that he is no more. It seems your Spev has alluded the rocket eating goblins living in the wires and trees before, so for now let us each offer up our own little hope in whatever manner we chose that once again the Spev shall prevail!

Bonne chance

chadrog 07-17-2014 08:27 PM

Happy aniversary!

A Fish Named Wallyum 07-17-2014 09:01 PM

More like "Happy Anniversary?" :rolleyes: :(

chadrog 07-17-2014 09:10 PM

Sorry, didn't know the grammar Nazi's were working tonight. Get a life.

A Fish Named Wallyum 07-17-2014 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadrog
Sorry, didn't know the grammar Nazi's were working tonight. Get a life.

Really, dick? I didn't notice the incorrect spelling. I was commenting on the fact that Roy had lost an old rocket on the anniversary. Get your own life, *******.

chadrog 07-17-2014 09:25 PM

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Sure thing. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

GuyNoir 07-17-2014 09:45 PM

Roy, two words:

chain saw . . . :D

stefanj 07-17-2014 10:24 PM

Congratulations on the anniversary! You beat me by a couple of years.

jeffyjeep 07-17-2014 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl

"Tish! You spoke french!" (smooch, smooch, smooch....)

But seriously, 250+ flights on the same rocket?!
That is awesome! Can you post a photo of this legend?