Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   HoJo spin nozzles (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=11911)

jeffyjeep 11-24-2012 11:09 PM

HoJo spin nozzles

I'm working on cloning the 1919 HoJo using a Sirius Moldin' Oldies NC. I'm not sure how the spin nozzles looked on the REAL missile. Were there convex covers over the nozzles that blew off when the engines ignited for spin? If so, what color would the nozzles have been? Thanks!

Royatl 11-25-2012 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
I'm working on cloning the 1919 HoJo using a Sirius Moldin' Oldies NC. I'm not sure how the spin nozzles looked on the REAL missile. Were there convex covers over the nozzles that blew off when the engines ignited for spin? If so, what color would the nozzles have been? Thanks!

The 1919 was based on the M50 variant, and I've never seen a real M50. The M31 versions I've seen had simple covers with four holes each (in a 2x2 arrangement, I suppose for slight pressure relief). The Estes Maxi-Brute version was close with a slightly concave area, but to model the rockets I've seen, you'd have to cut discs out of thin cardboard to fit within the depressions, punch four little holes in each one, then glue the discs in the depressions. That will get close to how they actually look.

I would suppose that the M50 Honest John had similar covers, but since they were recessed in the nose rather than slightly external as they were with the M31, they may have been sourced from a different mfgr.

stantonjtroy 11-25-2012 09:52 AM

4 Attachment(s)
These may be of some help.

jeffyjeep 11-25-2012 09:55 AM

Thanks, that's very helpful!

Where is this real one on display?

stantonjtroy 11-25-2012 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
Thanks, that's very helpful!

Where is this real one on display?

Not sure. I got these off of a scale reference site whitch I can't seem so locate again. I have more detail shots of the whole rocket. If you like I can post them.

jeffyjeep 11-25-2012 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stantonjtroy
Not sure. I got these off of a scale reference site whitch I can't seem so locate again. I have more detail shots of the whole rocket. If you like I can post them.

Please do! I'd like to see how "non-scale" I'm doing the fins. :rolleyes:

Brent 11-25-2012 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stantonjtroy
These may be of some help.

Great pictures. I have some of an Honest John that I ran across located in a small park in Truman ,AR. The HJ there could use a face lift. I think their idea of restoration was a fresh spray of olive drab without even sanding it down first.

Brent 11-25-2012 04:10 PM

Looks better in the picture than I remember it.

[IMG]pic-35.jpg [/IMG]

jeffyjeep 11-25-2012 05:57 PM

Excellent photo! I'd forgotten about the perforated band.

stantonjtroy 11-25-2012 08:00 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
Looks better in the picture than I remember it.

[IMG]pic-35.jpg [/IMG]

That's the one . Here's the rest of what I have.