Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   What's in YOUR build queue? (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=975)

A Fish Named Wallyum 07-12-2006 08:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Since I was feeling too lousy to fly on Sunday, I put the time to good use and finished construction on the ARG Black Brant IVB bird that I picked up at NARCON back in 2005. Nice project once I could sit down and actually concentrate on it, and it really turned out to be a great looking bird. I've got nekkid pics that I'll post tonight, but they're still in the camera. Well, that's my story. What's yours?

Sorry about the picture quality. A lot of the detail washed out in the flash. I'll see if I can get a daylight pic tomorrow.

JRThro 07-12-2006 10:01 PM

Quote:
Pigeons are like flying goats.
Well, except that their horns are much smaller.

And btw, I *did* paint my Odyssey this evening. It's in the garage drying overnight. The Krylon Bahama Sea paint didn't seem to want to dry shiny, so I also clearcoated the rocket with Krylon Crystal Clear. That seemed to help somewhat.

Next (this weekend?), on to the decals!!

Hey, when you guys paint a rocket where the body and the nose cone are the same color, how do you deal with that?

Ltvscout 07-12-2006 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
Sandman's Vostok (if I get those two done, I'll start on his LTV Scout, yes there really was one in the box :) )

Aw man. You let all the magic dust out! Mine is still nicely sealed tight so that none of it escapes. :D

A Fish Named Wallyum 07-12-2006 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRThro
Hey, when you guys paint a rocket where the body and the nose cone are the same color, how do you deal with that?

I use the same color paint. :confused:

Tau Zero 07-12-2006 10:29 PM

"And I'm stickin' to it..."

Quote:
Well, that's my story. What's yours?
Less building. More writing.

Building:

Tau Zero Prototype II. :cool:

Maybe the Mid-Power Interrogator from Sirius Rocketry (Thanks, Dave!), if I can squeeze it in for review purposes.

Prometheus Prototype II for gift/display? (unidentified recipient in desert Southwest?) :eek:

*Way* at the back: OOP Shrox Icarus. (*Drool.*) :cool:

Writing:

EMRR review for "TZ."

Instruction sheet for potential Semroc kit release of same.

(holding head in hands) Dear God in Heaven, am I actually going to create a Semroc Large Scale (SLS) version of every single one of my original designs? :eek:

Slinking off to bed,

JRThro 07-13-2006 08:41 AM

Quote:
I use the same color paint. :confused:

Ah, yes, but do you paint the rocket with the nose cone on or off? And if on, how do you remove it from the body tube at the appropriate time?

I painted it with the nose cone on, which is why I'm asking. I was too... lazy? ... to try to figure out the right way to handle it with the nose cone off, since it's already installed with the shock cord and everything.

PaulK 07-13-2006 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob H
...I've got an Estes Skydart and an Estes Shrike that are built, sealed and only need painting and have been that way since 1972. :eek: ....

A Skydart, cool. I haven't seen one of those in, oh, 30 years. When can we expect pics of the completed bird? :)

-Paul

barone 07-13-2006 12:39 PM

Quote:
Ah, yes, but do you paint the rocket with the nose cone on or off? And if on, how do you remove it from the body tube at the appropriate time?

I painted it with the nose cone on, which is why I'm asking. I was too... lazy? ... to try to figure out the right way to handle it with the nose cone off, since it's already installed with the shock cord and everything.

Unless the nose cone is glued in place, I usually paint them apart. A nice straight edge razor could be used to cut the paint if you've painted them together. When I do paint them at the same time (mainly to make sure the paint matches), I put masking tape on the shoulder of the cone then insert it into the body tube just enough to keep it from falling out.

Don
NAR 53455

JRThro 07-13-2006 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
Unless the nose cone is glued in place, I usually paint them apart. A nice straight edge razor could be used to cut the paint if you've painted them together. When I do paint them at the same time (mainly to make sure the paint matches), I put masking tape on the shoulder of the cone then insert it into the body tube just enough to keep it from falling out.

Don
NAR 53455
Thanks, Don. That's the same advice I got over on TRF, so it must be right!
:)

barone 07-13-2006 04:03 PM

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Quote:
Thanks, Don. That's the same advice I got over on TRF, so it must be right!
:)

DING! I think that may be the first time.....

Don
NAR 53455