Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Big Bertha/Ranger fin pattern... (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=3090)

Blushingmule 04-01-2008 06:01 PM

Big Bertha/Ranger fin pattern...

Hi all,

Are the fins the same size? Old catalog shows 3/32" for the Ranger. Plans show 1/8" for the 'Bertha. Have a fin pattern taken from a Big Bertha ~ 20 years ago - does not match the PDF files on screen. I don't have a printer... when held up to the screen, the pattern is quite a bit longer.

The reason I ask, parts are on the way from Semroc for both, have the pattern, just don't want to bolloks it up :-) Built a 3 cluster BB ~ 20 years ago, that was fun!

Bob

p.s. I'm a rebar, thanks to all!

Mark II 04-01-2008 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blushingmule
Hi all,

Are the fins the same size? Old catalog shows 3/32" for the Ranger. Plans show 1/8" for the 'Bertha. Have a fin pattern taken from a Big Bertha ~ 20 years ago - does not match the PDF files on screen. I don't have a printer... when held up to the screen, the pattern is quite a bit longer.

The reason I ask, parts are on the way from Semroc for both, have the pattern, just don't want to bolloks it up :-) Built a 3 cluster BB ~ 20 years ago, that was fun!

Bob

p.s. I'm a rebar, thanks to all!

As I understand it, Vern Estes created the Big Bertha by adapting the existing Astron Ranger design and changing the motor mount to use a single engine. He has said that he did this to create a model that had a slower liftoff, one that was easier to follow and that was more dramatic. So the Big Bertha is basically a single-engine version of the Ranger. Yes, the fin pattern is identical for both models.

You built a 3 cluster Big Bertha back in the day? Talk about bringing the design back around full circle! :D

Mark

Intruder 04-01-2008 06:47 PM

Almost nothing is the correct size strait off the Internet. Just about everything has to be resized.

Mark II 04-01-2008 07:06 PM

Bertha's progeny

By the way, the Astron Ranger/Big Bertha pair has produced at least three generations of descendents. There was the downscaled TK-3/#803 Mini-Bertha (1971), the upscaled #2018/#2165 Super Big Bertha (1989, and reintroduced in 2000) and the #2093 Broadsword (1994) (two models that were essentially twins underneath the paint), the #1261 Baby Bertha (designed by our friend the Rocket Doctor, introduced in 2002, and a current model) and the Baby's cousin once removed, the #2021 Rascal (1990). It could also be argued that the Goonybird line (1973) also represented another branch of the family. There might be other relatives, too. The Ranger/Big Bertha has been quite a protean design that has resulted in an extensive legacy.

The Big Bertha, originally introduced in 1965 (43 years ago!), is not only Estes' oldest design still in production, but is model rocketry's oldest kit design that is still being produced by its original manufacturer.

Mark

P.S. The Big Bertha also inspired other companies to produce similar models. These include Quest's Big Betty and Semroc's Vega (and ?Centuri's Centurion, possibly?)

Intruder 04-01-2008 07:19 PM

How are you going to paint your Astron Ranger? Mine is in '71 colors

Mark II 04-01-2008 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intruder
How are you going to paint your Astron Ranger? Mine is in '71 colors

The Damon Ranger!

Mark

Blushingmule 04-01-2008 11:12 PM

I plan to do the BB in the '69 colors; the red & white looks great! The Ranger?, dunno yet.

Bob

Intruder 04-02-2008 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blushingmule
I plan to do the BB in the '69 colors; the red & white looks great! The Ranger?, dunno yet.

Bob

I agree. Estes should be ashamed for moving away from such a great paint scheme. :D

tbzep 04-02-2008 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intruder
I agree. Estes should be ashamed for moving away from such a great paint scheme. :D

After all the masking and painting that it took me to do that roll pattern on two different rockets, I can't say that I blame them. :eek:

barone 04-02-2008 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
After all the masking and painting that it took me to do that roll pattern on two different rockets, I can't say that I blame them. :eek:

Oh yeah, but the way Estes does rockets now, it would come pre-colored :eek: