Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Vintage Estes Streak (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=6759)

scigs30 03-14-2010 11:04 PM

Vintage Estes Streak

Next build is another small bird.

5x7 03-14-2010 11:10 PM

Are you going for the catalog look or face card? I thought the clear tube was unique so I left the upper half clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30
Next build is another small bird.

scigs30 03-16-2010 03:59 PM

That was fast......This thing is small........Better buy some binoculars.........I was surprised the adhesive body wrap still had a lot of stick to it. I am going to paint it and decor like the 1979 catalog, even though the face card decor would be easier.

scigs30 03-25-2010 02:15 PM

I have this little guy all painted and will apply the black tape tomorrow to finish her off. I brushed on 3 coats of balsa sealer on the nose and fins, 2 coats of primer and 1 coat each of flat and glossy white.

Doug Sams 03-25-2010 02:49 PM

Quote:
I can't see the line of the paper around the fin can. You filled that in to hide it?

I see lots of folks here who are sticklers about authenticity. But if you're gonna paint over the mylar tube, does it really matter if I use mylar in a clone? :)

BTW, good job laying down the paint - you got a nice, lustrous finish.

Doug

scigs30 03-25-2010 03:29 PM

Doug, after a couple coats of primer and paint, the paper line disappeared. I never intend to fill spirals and for the most part they are not. Yes I build for authenticity and that's what makes this hobby so fun for me. I enjoy ripping open the old vintage Estes kits, and putting it together with no modifications.....ie recovery changes. My goal in building these old kits is to use the old vintage parts and make them look like the face card or 1979 catalog pictures. In either case, the paper wrap is not showing. That is part of the fun and challenge for me, just like the Scout with the Gauze. Yes I could clone it and that would make life easier, but that takes away the fun for me. I think it is awsome that these kits are from the 70's and 80's and they go together well and fly. The only thing I ever have to replace is the rubber shock cord with new Estes rubber shock cord. I don't have a problem if you use a Mylar tube or cardboard tube. It is up to you and what makes you happy, and bottom line, it is still an Estes Streak. As long as you are having fun building and flying it.

Doug Sams 03-25-2010 05:02 PM

Quote:
I don't have a problem if you use a Mylar tube or cardboard tube. It is up to you and what makes you happy, and bottom line, it is still an Estes Streak. As long as you are having fun building and flying it.
It's all good, Scigs. I was just poking a little. You're doing a fine job on your catalog project, and, when you're all done, the group pic will be something you can share with pride.

Doug

5x7 03-25-2010 06:35 PM

I was wondering if you plan to do any Centuri builds and if you could tell us what makes Estes special to you. I was 13 in the summer of 79, and I had the 79 Estes catalog and loved it. I got Centuri kits too when I could get them and liked them too, they seemed more 'exotic'.

scigs30 03-25-2010 07:27 PM

I never saw Centuri kits at the local hobby stores when I was growing up. I would see a whole isle full of Estes kits, parts and a catalog rack. I am sure if I was exposed to Centuri as a kid I would build those too. I thought about building Centuri kits, but I have so many Estes kits, I don't know when I would find the time to build them. I might start buying some here and there and see how it goes. The only thing I am not too crazy about when it comes to Centuri kits is the fibre board parts.

Mark II 03-25-2010 08:25 PM

You can use a kraft paper tube for a clone, Doug - as long as you can find one with a 0.005" thick wall, so that it matches the OD of BT-10! :D

A couple of wraps of Japanese tissue, stiffened with dope, maybe? :confused:

Mark K.