Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   FreeForAll (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Hamburgers (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=11344)

naoto 06-03-2014 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Kimchi/Kimchee/Kraut in any way, shape, or form is DISGUSTING.
A sewer pipe has a more palatable aroma.
That stuff and ANY form of cabbage other than COLE SLAW should be banned with threat of PRISON SENTENCE for possessing/consuming. The stench is revoltingly hideous.

It is often said that the easiest way not to notice the smell of kimchi or sauerkraut is to be eating it.

I presume by your statements that you might not be enthusiastic about:
Surströmming
Kiviak
Hákarl
Funazushi
Balut

would you be interested in durian?

what say you about less-exotic stuff like marmite, black pudding or haggis?

ghrocketman 06-03-2014 01:55 PM

All the supposed 'foodstuffs' you listed above should be thrown straight into a rubbish bin.

Durian fruit should literally result in a felony prison sentence for consumption/possession/ AND harvesting.

If the stench is somewhere between ROT-in-the-sox FEET, fecal matter, and fetid garbage, it is NOT getting anywhere near my face, EVER.
STENCH is meant to be a WARNING to avoid something.

dlazarus6660 06-03-2014 03:49 PM

Good, all the more for me!

I could go for a Ruben right now!

BTW, My grandfather used to make "Kraut" by the 55 gallon drum. He ate it with almost every meal.

bernomatic 06-03-2014 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman

If the stench is somewhere between ROT-in-the-sox FEET, fecal matter, and fetid garbage, it is NOT getting anywhere near my face, EVER.
STENCH is meant to be a WARNING to avoid something.

Which is why GH should be avoided at all costs. Playing in that toilet has caused the aroma particles to attach to him.

I tried not to respond, I really did, but when you leave yourself that wide open.....

Jeff Walther 07-03-2014 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrofte
I have been told my burgers are exceptional.

Cooked inside or out, with different techniques. But, I always use Natures Seasoning.

I love that stuff. It's good on potatoes and on popcorn too. The local grocery store has moved it to the bottom shelf. I hope that doesn't mean that they are going to discontinue it.

I've never tried it in burgers. I usually use Lawry's seasoning on meat. Sometimes, McCormick(?, I think) Montreal Steak Seasoning. I got a bunch of little bottles of that for $.50 each or something when it was on sale.

Chr$ 07-03-2014 03:02 PM

Kimchee. Yum.
Durian. Yum, but hate the smell...
LOL

Jeff Walther 07-03-2014 03:52 PM

Most of my ideas for home made burgers were posted by other folks. Depending on mood, I've liked half beef, half ground pork or half ground pork sausage. Worcestershire in the burger adds an interesting flavor. A little ground parmesan can be good too.

As far as bought burgers go, this thread prompted me to check, and I am ecstatic to find that Tookies is open again. They closed after the hurricane/flood in '08.

Tookies Hamburgers & More

They're located in Seabrook, south of Houston. My favorites are their Stomp's Icehouse Special and the Squealer. They also have great onion rings.

Perhaps I should not put all that in the present tense. It has probably been more than 20 years since I ate there. I ate there a lot when I worked at NASA JSC in the 80s. I had friends in Galveston for a few years after that, so I got over there in the 90s a little. Now I make an annual trip, but that didn't start until after the weather closed them in '08.

Got my next trip coming up in August. Do I get the Stomp's or the Squealer. Decisions, decisions....

dlazarus6660 07-09-2014 05:16 PM

So getting back on track, I just had me a burger off the grill. Vermont Sharp Chedder melted to gooey goodness, a leaf of lettuce, special sauce, pepper, cumin and Canadian Steak seasoning on a grilled bun. Ear 'o' Slob on the Cob slathered in butter. Yummy! :D

jeffyjeep 07-09-2014 09:08 PM

That sounds good! What's the "special sauce?"

ghrocketman 07-09-2014 10:46 PM

Most often, items on the bottom shelf at grocery stores are there due to selling exceptionally well, not badly.
Look where Campbell's Chicken Noodle and Tomato soups are positioned in the grocery store. ALWAYS on the bottom shelf.