Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   FreeForAll (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Hamburgers (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=11344)

foamy 07-12-2012 01:30 PM

Hamburgers

A fella on the another forum mentioned burgers, fries and shakes. I thought I’d open up a more specific can of worms here. Something near and dear to me: Hamburgers, recipes, techniques and what do you really like?

I’ll eat a hamburger almost any time or anywhere. It’s rare that I meet one that I don’t like, but some are far better than others. What I really like are ones that I make at home and cook on the grill.

There are so many “burger buffs” out there, all with their own hard and fast, do and don’t rules for building a “superior” burger. Many of them are contradictory—and from noted and competent chefs.

I guess it all boils down to: What do you like? As for me (and I’ve tried a bunch of things), I like a basic burger. 80/20 if I can find it, with some hot sauce and garlic, sometimes minced onion. Salt and (fresh cracked) pepper before it hits the grill. A nice toasted/grilled Pepperidge Farm sesame seed bun or a bakery bun if I’m building them bigger. Some sliced or diced onion on the bottom of the bun with mustard (generally regular yellow, but I have a variety and it changes at whim) and some ketchup or A1 on the top. There you have it. Some times I feel like some mayo, lettuce and tomatos on top and at other times I’ll try some crazy topping/burger recipe, but I have always come back to my standard.

I’m going to experiment with grinding some different cuts of meat here soon—I’m told it makes a world of difference. I wouldn’t know, but I intend to find out and have fun doing it.

So, what is your favorite hamburger recipe?

Shreadvector 07-12-2012 01:33 PM

GASP! Posting this thread the day before Cow Appreciation Day! The horror!;)

foamy 07-12-2012 01:49 PM

Well... that's just it. I appreciate cows. Lots.

CPMcGraw 07-12-2012 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreadvector
GASP! Posting this thread the day before Cow Appreciation Day! The horror!;)

Like Foamy, I appreciate cows reasonably well... :rolleyes:

OK, medium and medium well, anyway... :D

Favorite burger joints are "Five Guys" and "Whataburger". Restaurant burgers include "Ruby Tuesday" and "Cracker Barrel"...

I like my burgers as a double-dip: with cheese...

mycrofte 07-12-2012 02:58 PM

I have been told my burgers are exceptional.

Cooked inside or out, with different techniques. But, I always use Natures Seasoning.

stefanj 07-12-2012 03:11 PM

I haven't had a real burger (as opposed to a fast food restaurant burger, or one of those pre-formed pink slime things) in years.

I should really buy some good quality ground beef and fry one up.

Roll, ketchup, maybe a leaf of lettuce and a slice of real tomato.

ghrocketman 07-12-2012 03:24 PM

ELK Burger that has about 3% fat marinated in Lea&Perrins Worchestershire Sauce, patted THIN so it cooks medium well properly. Seasoned with Montreal Steak Seasoning, cooked over Kingsford Hickory Charcoal. Topped with a slice of Pepper Jack just before ready to come off the grill.
Served on a large Kaiser Roll, topped with Green Olives, Pickles, and A1 Steak Sauce. Sauteed Mushrooms optional.
Sometimes substitute the A1 with Guldens Mustard and Heinz Ketchup.

NEVER, EVER, any stinkin' onions !
Neither Raw nor cooked onions are allowed on ANY decent burger. Pure fetid nonsense.

Bill 07-12-2012 03:40 PM

My absolute favorite are these: http://originaltommys.com/ I'll get a craving and drive 1500 miles to get it.

Around here, I prefer Fuddrucker's, Whataburger or Carl's Jr.

In-N-Out is another good choice. Tasty, cheap, simple and fast

Bill

J Blatz 07-12-2012 04:59 PM

Might I suggest your ground beef of choice, mixed with between one and two slices of finely chopped high end (nitrate free) bacon.

Easy to do and quite tasty.

tbzep 07-12-2012 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
ELK Burger that has about 3% fat marinated in Lea&Perrins Worchestershire Sauce,

NEVER, EVER, any stinkin' onions !
Neither Raw nor cooked onions are allowed on ANY decent burger. Pure fetid nonsense.

You do realize that Worchestershire sauce has onions in it, don't you?