PDA

View Full Version : What's in YOUR build queue?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-12-2006, 01:46 AM
I behaved myself for a while, buit now my backlog of projects is starting to grow again. I ordered a Dr. Zooch Little Joe kit last night. This is a project I'm looking forward to because not only do I love the looks of the Little Joe, I've also heard that the Dr. Zooch kits are a kick to build. As I mentioned elsewhere on here, I also bought a couple of rockets from Scott "Beer Skunk" McCrate's overloaded kit coffers, those being an Estes Strikefighter and Estes Wildfire. The Strikefighter is one that I've always been a fan of, and the Wildfire was one of the very first "OOP" kits that I won on Ebay. I used the nose and tail cone for a Satellite Interceptor clone, then built the rest of the rocket and subbed in a different nose cone. It was one of my favorite B6-4 Field fliers, but got treed one afternoon and was gone by morning. (I also wanted to scan the kit for YORP if they're still needed.) Scott was also kind enough to loan me some scale data on the Pershing Missile. His data is for a BT-80 bird, but I can scale it down for BT-60 and BT-70, which happen to be the size of the two cones that I bought from Sandman this spring. I'm REALLY looking forward to getting one of those going. The PD Rocketry U.S.S. Atlantis is ready for final assembly and the new decals are on the way, so that should be flying shortly. I also picked up another Holverson Wicked Winnie, only this one is a balsa bird. Since I was feeling too lousy to fly on Sunday, I put the time to good use and finished construction on the ARG Black Brant IVB bird that I picked up at NARCON back in 2005. Nice project once I could sit down and actually concentrate on it, and it really turned out to be a great looking bird. I've got nekkid pics that I'll post tonight, but they're still in the camera. Well, that's my story. What's yours?

marslndr
07-12-2006, 07:07 AM
Well,

I still have to finish my Estes Saturn V, Semroc SST shuttle, and Estes Outlander.

Next to start:

Thrustline Gyroc, Sprite

Semroc X21, Marslander

Estes Argosy, Big daddy, Deep space transport, Renegade,

Fliskits Stingray

I'm sure I'm missing some.

Mark

Nuke Rocketeer
07-12-2006, 07:13 AM
Estes SR-71 given to me by my kids Xmas '05
several scratch builds...one 3 24mm cluster, one 24mm 3 stage, 1 13mm 3 stage
a clone Centuri mini dactyl BG

Need to get some time from chores and sports (kids).

Joe W

JRThro
07-12-2006, 07:57 AM
Well, my signature on TRF claims that I have 40+ kits still in the packaging, and there's no reason to doubt that.
:rolleyes: :eek:

Meanwhile, I hope to actually *paint* my Rokitflite Odyssey this evening if I'm not asked to take my kids to the Y to go swimming.

I'm also working on a Quest Zenith II payloader that I bought 2 years ago. The mnotor mounts and stage coupler are assembled and installed, with the fins, payload section and nose cone, and recovery system still to go. Oh, and painting, etc.

Um, I just bought an ASP V-2 from Romie Lucas and an Estes Trident clone kit from the newly renamed PD Rocketry.

I have a balsa Holversion Designs Wicked Winnie kit that I bought from John Arthur of jonrocket.com at NARCON this spring, but I still haven't decided if I'll open it and build it or not.

Plus a bunch of parts and pieces that could be assembled into who knows what?

marslndr
07-12-2006, 08:07 AM

Joe W

Be careful what you wish for, I broke a small bone in my wrist a month ago. No chores and I can't work (three cheers for workmans comp!), but it's my right wrist so no rocket building :( ! Talk about a dull month.

Mark

dwmzmm
07-12-2006, 08:30 AM
Estes SR-71 given to me by my kids Xmas '05
several scratch builds...one 3 24mm cluster, one 24mm 3 stage, 1 13mm 3 stage
a clone Centuri mini dactyl BG

Joe W

Your clone of the Centuri Mini-Dactyl might end up being better suited for display; every
model of this type I've seen flown (including my own) has always met with pod separation
before it even clears the launch rod. If you can build with two Mini-Dactyl on the same pop
pod, it'll probably balance out and will work. I built my original Centuri with a single glider
for NAR B/G competition purpose, but have yet to see it fly safely. Don't remember where
the kit materials are for the second glider (got lost somewhere over the years I've had
this, like 20+ years...).

Thor
07-12-2006, 08:40 AM
Wallyum, a 4" Goblin with a SANDMAN cone (not the one in this picture).
http://mailman.thegeek.nu/~dahanson/rockets/my_rockets/goblin/goblin_990911.jpg

Nuke Rocketeer
07-12-2006, 10:25 AM
Your clone of the Centuri Mini-Dactyl might end up being better suited for display; every
model of this type I've seen flown (including my own) has always met with pod separation
before it even clears the launch rod. If you can build with two Mini-Dactyl on the same pop
pod, it'll probably balance out and will work. I built my original Centuri with a single glider
for NAR B/G competition purpose, but have yet to see it fly safely. Don't remember where
the kit materials are for the second glider (got lost somewhere over the years I've had
this, like 20+ years...).

I've built both the single and double glider versions and have flown them several times. The only pod trouble I ever had was when I used it for a 1/2 A BG contest flight last year and I got TWO red barons in a row! I had launched the exact same one at the same site the previous month and it worked perfectly three times. This is my 5th or 6th clone in the last few years.

Joe W

tbzep
07-12-2006, 12:15 PM
I need to finish a half dozen or more projects that I've started over the years. Some are complete except for filling, sanding and finishing. Others are in various stages of construction. I made a promise to myself that I'd finish a rocket or two for every new rocket project I start, but I hate filling and sanding so it's going to be hard to keep my word.

JRThro
07-12-2006, 01:30 PM
I need to finish a half dozen or more projects that I've started over the years. Some are complete except for filling, sanding and finishing. Others are in various stages of construction. I made a promise to myself that I'd finish a rocket or two for every new rocket project I start, but I hate filling and sanding so it's going to be hard to keep my word.
I don't guess half-finishing two rockets for every new one you start helps much, does it?
;)

dwmzmm
07-12-2006, 01:49 PM
I've built both the single and double glider versions and have flown them several times. The only pod trouble I ever had was when I used it for a 1/2 A BG contest flight last year and I got TWO red barons in a row! I had launched the exact same one at the same site the previous month and it worked perfectly three times. This is my 5th or 6th clone in the last few years.

Joe W

That's great! My Mini-Dactyl has suffered pod separations each time I've flown it, and last
year at the Tex Regional meet in McGregor, TX (Father's Day launch), I think long time rocketeer and NAR member Andrew Condors (from the Dallas area) attempted to fly his
and the very same thing happened.

That's why I usually stick with something that has proven to be reliable and a consistent
winner, such as my original CMR Buzzard, Orbitron, and Manta (those names ring any bells?!).

tbzep
07-12-2006, 02:04 PM
I don't guess half-finishing two rockets for every new one you start helps much, does it?
;)

That's pretty close to what's got me in this cluttered up room full of unpainted rockets situation. :p

Nuke Rocketeer
07-12-2006, 02:10 PM
That's great! My Mini-Dactyl has suffered pod separations each time I've flown it, and last
year at the Tex Regional meet in McGregor, TX (Father's Day launch), I think long time rocketeer and NAR member Andrew Condors (from the Dallas area) attempted to fly his
and the very same thing happened.

That's why I usually stick with something that has proven to be reliable and a consistent
winner, such as my original CMR Buzzard, Orbitron, and Manta (those names ring any bells?!).

Yes they do. I've got all the stuff together to clone a Buzzard one of these days.

Joe W

dwmzmm
07-12-2006, 03:19 PM
Yes they do. I've got all the stuff together to clone a Buzzard one of these days.

Joe W

Plus, I have what amount to an upscaled CMR Buzzard that's used for the 18 mm B/G & R/G
competition flights that's been a consistent winner. All of the CMR gliders I mentioned in my
previous posts (except the Orbitron) were built way back in the mid to late 1970's and have
managed to survive the unknown number of flights (and crashes) as well as the various
relocations (moves) I've made through the time I became a BAR in late 2003 (yes, they
laid in storage for some 20+ years). You would think because gliders look fragile (and they
are), they'd have gone through the balsa recycling center long, long ago...

barone
07-12-2006, 05:05 PM
Well, where to begin :rolleyes: Currently working on a Scout III (final primed, ready for last sanding before paint). Also, the Quest Force 5 (ready for first prime coat). I've got the fins cut and filled for a cloned Scorpius from PD Rocketry and will be starting to attach them tonight. After those three, and probably in this order, there's the A-20 Demon from PD Rocketry and then a Canaroc Black Brant III. In between, complete the spiral filling on my Estes Voyager II and get it primed. By then, I hope Phred has come through for me and I'll start building the rest of his Goonies line :eek: Got all these Baby Berthas begging to be something. The problem here is the humidity. Probably have to wait till fall to get any final paint done. :( But heck, I've got plenty to do. Winter projects.....1/30 scale Little Joe from Sheri's Hot Rockets and Sandman's Vostok (if I get those two done, I'll start on his LTV Scout, yes there really was one in the box :) )

Don
NAR 53455

stefanj
07-12-2006, 05:11 PM
I have maybe two-dozen major projects I started and abandoned through the years, some big, some small. Notables include rebulding an original Estes Saturn Ib (waiting for Semroc fins), an original Mars Lander, and two SF-ish "Triplanetary Patrol" frigates.

Plus maybe a dozen newer kits I'd like to build . . .

And maybe half a dozen repair projects . . .

What I'm working on right now: Two BT-80H based sport flyers with boat tails, fake nozzles, and giant fiberglassed balsa fins. I'm waiting for a day when my neighbors are away to run my belt sander on the balcony, to smooth the fins in preparation for the next layer of fiberglass.

PaulK
07-12-2006, 06:00 PM
Hmm, the next ye olde build would be a bomarc clone. Picked up the parts at narcon, just can't decide whether to build the glider or chute version.

-Paul

Bob H
07-12-2006, 06:21 PM
I know that John Thro is probably going to be all over this like pigeons on popcorn since I've kidded him enough about not painting his Rokitflite Odyssey after having it built for a year. :rolleyes:

I've got an Estes Skydart and an Estes Shrike that are built, sealed and only need painting and have been that way since 1972. :eek: I need a set of decals for the Shrike but it's the same ones used on the Astron Constellation so I can get a set from Excelsior.

I've decided to paint them next and fly them this summer. I mentioned the Skydart at a CMASS launch earlier this year so I get asked if it's done and ready to fly at every launch now. ;)

After them, I have a Sirius Rocketry Refit Atlantis that is 90% done, an Art Applewhite saucer half done and a Semroc Jaguar that is half done. I have a backlog of about 50 unopened kits and enough parts for perhaps 25 more.

I have a Sandman Vostok :cool: for when I think I'm ready for the challenge. :rolleyes:

JRThro
07-12-2006, 06:39 PM
I know that John Thro is probably going to be all over this like pigeons on popcorn since I've kidded him enough about not painting his Rokitflite Odyssey after having it built for a year. :rolleyes: Huh? Pigeons like popcorn?
;) :eek:

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-12-2006, 06:52 PM
Huh? Pigeons like popcorn?
;) :eek:

Pigeons are like flying goats.

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-12-2006, 08:51 PM
Since I was feeling too lousy to fly on Sunday, I put the time to good use and finished construction on the ARG Black Brant IVB bird that I picked up at NARCON back in 2005. Nice project once I could sit down and actually concentrate on it, and it really turned out to be a great looking bird. I've got nekkid pics that I'll post tonight, but they're still in the camera. Well, that's my story. What's yours?

Sorry about the picture quality. A lot of the detail washed out in the flash. I'll see if I can get a daylight pic tomorrow.

JRThro
07-12-2006, 10:01 PM
Pigeons are like flying goats.Well, except that their horns are much smaller.

And btw, I *did* paint my Odyssey this evening. It's in the garage drying overnight. The Krylon Bahama Sea paint didn't seem to want to dry shiny, so I also clearcoated the rocket with Krylon Crystal Clear. That seemed to help somewhat.

Next (this weekend?), on to the decals!!

Hey, when you guys paint a rocket where the body and the nose cone are the same color, how do you deal with that?

Ltvscout
07-12-2006, 10:06 PM
Sandman's Vostok (if I get those two done, I'll start on his LTV Scout, yes there really was one in the box :) )
Aw man. You let all the magic dust out! Mine is still nicely sealed tight so that none of it escapes. :D

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-12-2006, 10:28 PM
Hey, when you guys paint a rocket where the body and the nose cone are the same color, how do you deal with that?

I use the same color paint. :confused:

Tau Zero
07-12-2006, 10:29 PM
Well, that's my story. What's yours?Less building. More writing.

Building:

Tau Zero Prototype II. :cool:

Maybe the Mid-Power Interrogator from Sirius Rocketry (Thanks, Dave!), if I can squeeze it in for review purposes.

Prometheus Prototype II for gift/display? (unidentified recipient in desert Southwest?) :eek:

*Way* at the back: OOP Shrox Icarus. (*Drool.*) :cool:

Writing:

EMRR review for "TZ."

Instruction sheet for potential Semroc kit release of same.

(holding head in hands) Dear God in Heaven, am I actually going to create a Semroc Large Scale (SLS) version of every single one of my original designs? :eek:

Slinking off to bed,

JRThro
07-13-2006, 08:41 AM
I use the same color paint. :confused:
Ah, yes, but do you paint the rocket with the nose cone on or off? And if on, how do you remove it from the body tube at the appropriate time?

I painted it with the nose cone on, which is why I'm asking. I was too... lazy? ... to try to figure out the right way to handle it with the nose cone off, since it's already installed with the shock cord and everything.

PaulK
07-13-2006, 11:17 AM
...I've got an Estes Skydart and an Estes Shrike that are built, sealed and only need painting and have been that way since 1972. :eek: ....

A Skydart, cool. I haven't seen one of those in, oh, 30 years. When can we expect pics of the completed bird? :)

-Paul

barone
07-13-2006, 12:39 PM
Ah, yes, but do you paint the rocket with the nose cone on or off? And if on, how do you remove it from the body tube at the appropriate time?

I painted it with the nose cone on, which is why I'm asking. I was too... lazy? ... to try to figure out the right way to handle it with the nose cone off, since it's already installed with the shock cord and everything.

Unless the nose cone is glued in place, I usually paint them apart. A nice straight edge razor could be used to cut the paint if you've painted them together. When I do paint them at the same time (mainly to make sure the paint matches), I put masking tape on the shoulder of the cone then insert it into the body tube just enough to keep it from falling out.

Don
NAR 53455

JRThro
07-13-2006, 01:31 PM
Unless the nose cone is glued in place, I usually paint them apart. A nice straight edge razor could be used to cut the paint if you've painted them together. When I do paint them at the same time (mainly to make sure the paint matches), I put masking tape on the shoulder of the cone then insert it into the body tube just enough to keep it from falling out.

Don
NAR 53455Thanks, Don. That's the same advice I got over on TRF, so it must be right!
:)

barone
07-13-2006, 04:03 PM
Thanks, Don. That's the same advice I got over on TRF, so it must be right!

DING! I think that may be the first time.....

Don
NAR 53455

CPMcGraw
07-13-2006, 04:22 PM
I behaved myself for a while, buit now my backlog of projects is starting to grow again....I've got nekkid pics that I'll post tonight, but they're still in the camera. Well, that's my story. What's yours?

Somehow, the phrases "I behaved myself for a while" and "I've got nekkid pics that I'll post tonight" just don't seem to go together... :eek: :rolleyes:

My build pile includes a Tau Zero for my start-from-scratch project, but it also includes a bunch of "finish-ups" from as far back as 2002...

One "finish-up" is the Cherokee Double-D prototype, which is about to get its launch lugs and a coat of Kilz. I had been needing a bulkhead for the payload section.

Bob H
07-13-2006, 06:19 PM
A Skydart, cool. I haven't seen one of those in, oh, 30 years. When can we expect pics of the completed bird? :)

-PaulI finally took it out of the box where it's been sitting for the last 34 years so it's at least getting closer. :rolleyes:

Now if I can just get a decent day for painting, I "might" be able to have it ready for our next launch on July 22.

snaquin
07-13-2006, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Since I was feeling too lousy to fly on Sunday, I put the time to good use and finished construction on the ARG Black Brant IVB bird that I picked up at NARCON back in 2005. Nice project once I could sit down and actually concentrate on it, and it really turned out to be a great looking bird. I've got nekkid pics that I'll post tonight, but they're still in the camera. Well, that's my story. What's yours?

Sorry about the picture quality. A lot of the detail washed out in the flash. I'll see if I can get a daylight pic tomorrow.

Very nice, even if it is nekkid :) That's a pretty large kit too!

I have zero experience with ARG kits but the prototypes I'm working on (and need to finish) for Taras use the same basic materials and they are very strong rockets. The 1.72" diameter tubing he uses on the larger Brants is a pretty cool and unique size. Not sure if you realized it or not but an Estes BT-60 is a perfect slip fit into that size airframe and Taras uses BT-60 for couplers in the SR1720 Sounding Rocket prototype I have. You might consider that if you should ever damage it and need to fit a piece of tube inside the airframe to repair it.

Your ARG Black Brant IVB seems like it would be a challenge to finish unless some of the white areas are decaled since they overlay the red on the airframe. Did the kit come with decals?

I just recently got off crutches after almost two months and pulled all my rockets in my queue down from the top shelf to get started building again. I'll have to try to get a picture of the stuff in my build queue posted and have you guys get a good laugh at all of my half finished projects .....

Phred
07-14-2006, 02:13 PM
Oh boy... this is gonna be ugly....I am great at starting kits/projects, but terrible at finishing them....I have been trying to finish some of the many project that are lying around.... Let see:

Spev clone/upgrade w 24mm mount and 6 fins. I finally have this painted all gloss white, but haven't gotten around to masking and painting the black sections....

Restoration of my vintage Centuri V2: again, now it is all gloss white.... I am daunted byall of the masking it will require...

Restoration of two Vintage K-29 Sat 1bs. 1 needs two fins and a capsule, the other needs all fins, capsule, many setails, and a full paint/decal job.

Restoration of my original ESTES V2maxi Brute: It puked its innards last flight. I have replacement plywood fins, and a heavy duty engine tube.

An Alway ARCAS: painted, but I have been working on custom decals for the past three years!!

An Alway Sat V ... started, but never finished.

An ESTES Canadian Arrow converted to a V2 Blossom.... in primer.

An ESTES Canadian Arrow converted to a V-2... needs fins sanded. I hate sanding!

BT-70 upscale of the old Mini Brute Hornet. 24mm built for E motors. Needs a fin and finishing.

BT-70 upscale Saros w/custom 'Sandman' nosecones. Needs innards...

A couple of Goonys: Mercury Goonstone... working on it for 2 yrs, and Der Alte Fritz Triplan Goony: working for 3 yrs...

A rear ejection, short stubby 'lander' type scratchbuild based on a BT-80 Big Bertha NC . Needs a test launch, then paint.

I have a few vintage kits that were partially built up, and I will finish: farside X, Streak, Gyroc.

Venus Rocketry Giblet... about 1/2 built.

A pile of upscales: I have the cones, and need to order the slotted tubes and laser fins from Semroc: BT-80 Citation Patriot, BT-70 Wolverine, BT-70 Cherokee E, BT-70 Blue Bird Zero, BT-70 Constellation.

Scratch models:

'Super Mario' for my Niece: Big Bertha based... will eject a mario figure with a small 'chute'.

'Hell A Copter' I started with a Gyroc... enlarged to BT-50 added an extra fin-set, larger flaps, and ejects motor mount with a string to the NC.

'Attack Craft Deuce' A combination of the Deuce's Wild and the old ESTES Strike Fighter.

Well, that is all I can think of now...

Phred

Doug Sams
07-14-2006, 02:29 PM
Well, that's my story. What's yours?Interesting you should ask this, Bill. Just the other day, after LDRS, I made out a list of what I want to get done next.

Having just gotten my L2, my next goal for that rocket (the Doug-1b) is to fly it with two air-started RoadRunners at a launch soon.

I also drew up a couple L3 concepts in RockSim, but it's all pie-in-the-sky right now. However, a Taurus-like shape has a strong appeal.

Thridget (BT-70, 3xC6 to 3xC6 clustered stager) on its last flight only lit two, came off the rod and turned horizontal, then lit two sustainers before power pranging in a plowed field. But I think I can fix it :) ("My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools.") I've cut a new piece to splice on, but gotten no further. I expect to make more progress this weekend.

I'm also building an upscale Super Thridget with BT-80. It will fly on 3xD12-0 to 3xE9-8. Got one fin glued on last night.

Pro-Cluster. I had rings made (BMS) for this years ago, but only just now getting going. It's a 29mm MMT surrounded by six 18mm outboards. It will user timers to progressively light the outboards in pairs. The fin can is almost done with the last fin glued in last night. Next comes the electronics bay. (The fins were salvaged from an abortive L1 cert rocket destroyed by an I69 cato at LDRS in 2002. The Pro-Cluster's chute bay and nosecone were salvaged from those remains as well.)

Also need to repair my Bidget (BT-60 upscale Midget). When it staged during its last flight, the forward airframe of the booster tore open. I guess the pressure from the C11-0 burning thru was too much. The tear spans the entire valley between two fins, so it's not a simple patch. Looks like I'll have to cut the fins off and glue them to a new tube.

Hoping that N2O will be the theme at NTHP in Sept, so I expect to fly my Avenger-SRS on a Skyripper J and my HiTech H45 on a Skyripper H. Need to get the lower section of the Avenger painted and build an electronics bay for the HiTech H45. Wanna try a dual-deployment with the H45, too, although not necessarily on the same flight.

Want to build a 1.7x or 1.9x upscale Sprint with e-bay & DD, then fly F32, G37, G55 in it. I have an AT 1.9" tube and a nosecone, but need some couplers (and more time :)

Hoping to soon fly ST-20 upscale (2x) Midget with electronically airstarted sustainer soon. E28 to D12. Rocket is prepped. Just need a calm day and a charged NiCad.

Want to build and fly 6" Midget (sustainer only). Have one fin built up using 1/64" ply skin over truss structure with foam fill. Also have a nose cone. Goal is to reduce weight by a couple pounds versus previous 10 pound incarnation lawn-darted in Oct, 2004. (Additional goal is to not lawndart the new one :)

Want to build 2-stage HPR Midget, maybe 2.25" booster to 3" sustainer. Trick is squeezing electronics bay into sustainer. Anular space around motor tube is consideration, but exposes vent ports to turbulent air between fins.

Need to finally finish and fly Ecee Thunder RC.

Need to put last color (white) on Apogee 2 / ApoThree and fly it.

Doug
Needing a sabbatical from work for about 12 months to do it all...

JRThro
07-14-2006, 03:55 PM
Doug
Needing a sabbatical from work for about 12 months to do it all...
Now THAT sounds like a plan! Especially if they pay for the time off!

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-14-2006, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum

Very nice, even if it is nekkid :) That's a pretty large kit too!

I have zero experience with ARG kits but the prototypes I'm working on (and need to finish) for Taras use the same basic materials and they are very strong rockets. The 1.72" diameter tubing he uses on the larger Brants is a pretty cool and unique size. Not sure if you realized it or not but an Estes BT-60 is a perfect slip fit into that size airframe and Taras uses BT-60 for couplers in the SR1720 Sounding Rocket prototype I have. You might consider that if you should ever damage it and need to fit a piece of tube inside the airframe to repair it.

Your ARG Black Brant IVB seems like it would be a challenge to finish unless some of the white areas are decaled since they overlay the red on the airframe. Did the kit come with decals?

It comes with decals, but I think I'm missing some. The paint isn't that daunting because, like you said, it's a big bird. I got some other pics last night that will hopefully show the details a little better.

Doug Sams
07-14-2006, 05:38 PM
Well, I still have to finish my ... Estes Outlander. I have the bag opened on mine, but never got very far. I mighta glued the feet and legs up...or was that for the TP3.9" ML?

I guess I need to add these two to my list of started stuff that needs finishing....

Doug

Doug Sams
07-14-2006, 05:49 PM
I have a balsa Holversion Designs Wicked Winnie kit ... That kit is begging for a 24mm motor mount. I bashed a Big Betty into a quasi-Sprint which is not far from the WW. I was amazed at how well it performed. I guess it's the boat tail that really reduces the drag because it seemed to go much higher on a C motor than I expected, based on Big Bettys and Berthas on the same motor.

Anyway, I set my Betty-Sprint up to use an F32, but I don't think I've ever put anything in it bigger than a C or D. Nevertheless, the WW can easily handle D12's. And E9's, too, with some extra eyes and a shiny streamer.

Doug
Sometimes, when the rubber meets the road, I get wimpy...

Doug Sams
07-14-2006, 05:55 PM
A Fish Named Wallyum posted ARG Black Brant IVB pics

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3025

So the step in the airframe in the middle of the fin chord is a scale feature? Looks kinda odd.

Doug

Doug Sams
07-14-2006, 06:01 PM
I don't guess half-finishing two rockets for every new one you start helps much, does it? ;) Yeah, I'm thinking that's the kinda progress that looks good on your resume...if you're trying to get on at Arthur Andesen :)

Doug

Doug Sams
07-14-2006, 06:13 PM
Currently working on a Scout III (final primed, ready for last sanding before paint). I have one of these in an opened bag, but I'm not in a hurry to build it now. I cloned the Scout (I), flew it and retired it. It meant a lot to me because to the childhood connection. And the Scout III, because of its lineage, strikes a similar nerve. But the bad thing is that now that I've built a few of these, because of their sentimental value, I don't want to fly them, at least not more than once or twice. And because of that, I've become unwilling to invest the build time into something I won't fly much, so the Scout III just sits and waits.

How's that for screwed up logic?

Doug

Frank Broughton
07-14-2006, 06:15 PM

I like to leave the nose cone in the rocket, I stick it out about 3/16" inch to get some paint on the end of the tube and a wee bit on the inside shoulder of the nose cone. Blends in nicer at the intersection that way.

-= Frank =-

Doug Sams
07-14-2006, 06:17 PM
I painted it with the nose cone on, which is why I'm asking. I was too... lazy? ... to try to figure out the right way to handle it with the nose cone off, since it's already installed with the shock cord and everything. Generally, I make all my shock cords removable, or at least wait until after painting before attaching the NC.

That said, I think, with some careful rigging, you could put a spacer (ie, rolled up paper) in the airframe, then tape the NC onto that, with the SC rolled inside. The NC is taped to the rolled up paper. Then a final wrap of mask is applied at the shoulder. Once the paint is applied, you simply remove that one wrap while the paint is wet. Once it's dry, then you can remove the rest of the rig.

Doug

Frank Broughton
07-14-2006, 06:33 PM
Estes Spitfire, Estes Mongoose repaired (new longer body tube & dart fins added) to be renamed Mongoose Dart, Estes Scorpion repaired with new longer body tube are all in the paint shop right now drying! Estes Firebird is next up to be painted.

Estes Big Daddy is waiting for decals - hey ya, I will clean off the work desk and do that now.

Have 12 new in the box rockets and I think that the Semroc SLS Scorpion is next to come out of the bag! Then my FlisKits Rhino will be after that.

I am still gathering parts for my first scratch built rocket (Ultraman Earth Saver) using purchased parts. Need some clustering rings and a transition.

Oh ya have about a dozen or so paper rockets in various stages of completion. Need to finish them up before our launch on July 23rd as I want to send up seven FlisKits Caution rockets when as the National Anthem is sung and the singer hits the rockets red glare part. That will be neat!

-= Frank =-

barone
07-15-2006, 11:50 AM
I've got the fins cut and filled for a cloned Scorpius from PD Rocketry and will be starting to attach them tonight.

Well...I'm progressing. Here's a pic of the Scorpius after first prime. This would have been an excellent candidate for using the contact paper on the balsa technique used for the Sirius Interrogator since the edges are to remain square. :)

Don
NAR 53455

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-15-2006, 01:36 PM
I am still gathering parts for my first scratch built rocket (Ultraman Earth Saver) using purchased parts. Need some clustering rings and a transition.

Ultraman as in the Japanese live action series? They showed that here in Cincinnati when I was in grade school. I don't remember much about it other than he might have been red and silver. Got a picture of this project handy? :cool:

Pyro Pro
07-15-2006, 08:13 PM
Well...
I'm still trying to finish my Mars Lander (#21), plus ~8 RockSim designs I had made for summer projects (only made one of them so far)... and just printed off the new Currell Concorde Model (http://www.currell.net/models/concorde.htm), although not "necessarily" a rocket (yet ;)), it is going on the build queue.

David

hawkshobby
07-15-2006, 10:20 PM
Well let's see...... :rolleyes:
the bandit, goblin, a blackhawk 2 different ways single and double engine
Of course i'm going to have to do them in both the regular size and an up-scale
The good news is I have about 2 weeks to get er done. :eek:
OH..Oh.. by the way almost forgot ...what is that one called again JAY ?....
Oh yeah !!! a Wolverine!!!!! :D

Mark

barone
07-16-2006, 04:22 PM
Currently working on a Scout III (final primed, ready for last sanding before paint).

Making progress. Here's my completed Scout III.

Don
NAR 53455

snaquin
07-16-2006, 05:48 PM
..... I just recently got off crutches after almost two months and pulled all my rockets in my queue down from the top shelf to get started building again. I'll have to try to get a picture of the stuff in my build queue posted and have you guys get a good laugh at all of my half finished projects .....

I couldn't remember everything I had stored a couple of months ago so I dumped out my Semroc boxes and other parts to see where I was heading.

I have a Semroc Hustler JTP kit and Mars Lander still in the bags from my last order.

I have three sets of plywood fins I cut to make up EnerJet Nike-Rams with along with four custom Sandman nose cones turned from basswood in place of PNC-132's.

I have three sets of plywood fins cut for SSRS Lasor-134 clones and three custom Sandman nose cones from basswood. The nose cones match the Crown originals with shoulder lengths of 1.75" and I cut my own solid hardwood bulkheads from 1.25" diameter dowel stock from Home Depot to the original 3.5" lengths and these are a perfect slip fit into Semroc LT-125 airframe tubing. I want to closely match my orignal Lasor-114 rocket and I think this was the recommended colors from the instructions:

SSRS / Crown Rocket Technology Lasor-114 (http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2758)

I have one set of plywood fins cut for an EnerJet Egg Crate clone and egg capsule for same.

I have all the parts to build an EnerJet 2250 from a copy of the Gary Rosenfield Composite Dynamics plans set. Taras sent me a perfect laser cut plywood fin set for the 2250.

A bunch of yellow, black & blue fin cans and PNC-56 nose cones robbed from Estes Longshot, Eliminator and Maniac kits for EnerJet 1340 clones. I really liked the Challenger-II that John Brohm posted pictures of a while back so I may turn one of the extra black fin cans and yellow nose cones into a Challenger-II as well. I saved your paint and build suggestions John and I hope I can get mine to look catalog perfect like yours :cool:

I have an ARG T222-24 102 Sounding Rocket prototype about 75% finished. The upper stage and transition is finished and painted fluor orange and the transition is black. The T222-24 booster has the motor mount tubes bonded with epoxy in the airframe and the gaps between the motor tubes and airframe filled, only needs the fins attached.

I have two other ARG prototypes the Yokes Away (Egg Lofter) and the Booster Stage For T222-24 that turns that kit into a two stage rocket for Estes D and E clusters.

I have about a dozen each Semroc LT-125 and LT-115 tubes different lengths, a bag of CR-9115 centering rings and half a dozen EM-9115 complete engine mounts to help with the scratch builds.

I owe it to Taras to finish those prototypes in time for the fall flying season so I'm going to concentrate on those first and then I'm thinking of moving onto the Laser-134, EnerJet Nike-Ram and EnerJet Egg Crate builds since I have my fins cut for those.

I'm excited about getting back into building again. You guys encourage me all the time with your nicely finished rockets so I'm so looking forward to these projects :D

Please note: Having all of these unfinished and half finished projects will not keep me from ordering the SLS Explorer and Lil' Hustler (as soon as the Lil' Hustler hits the website) as well as some other Semroc spare parts I need to have on hand .....

Tau Zero
07-16-2006, 05:54 PM
OH..Oh.. by the way almost forgot ...what is that one called again JAY ?....
Oh yeah !!! a Wolverine!!!!! :DMark really meant to say...

A big FREAKIN' 2.40X Wolverine upscale! :eek: :rolleyes: ;) :D

Cheers,

Ltvscout
07-16-2006, 06:11 PM
[COLOR=Black]I have three sets of plywood fins cut for SSRS Lasor-134 clones and three custom Sandman nose cones from basswood. The nose cones match the Crown originals with shoulder lengths of 1.75"
Which cones are these? Are they the ones in the bottom right with the screweyes in them? What did they run apiece?

Vanel
07-16-2006, 06:50 PM
Nice Scout III, Don!

snaquin
07-16-2006, 07:15 PM
Which cones are these? Are they the ones in the bottom right with the screweyes in them? What did they run apiece?

Yes, bottom right with the screw eyes in them. I paid $8 each for these and I felt it was a fair price. In comparison you would pay $7 for the PNC-132 resin ones from Moldin' Oldies but their version only fits ST-13, mine are turned to fit LT-125. Semroc has a balsa version but I really wanted hardwood to add a little extra weight up front.

The exact weight of these cones with screw eye installed is 0.9oz each. The tight grain of the basswood and the smooth finish sanding job he did on these is awesome. It's going to be a shame to paint them.

The ones with the screw eyes in them in the upper left are the ones he made me for the SSRS Lasor-134 but I don't remember what I paid for those.

barone
07-16-2006, 07:25 PM
Nice Scout III, Don!

Thanks Bill. I'd like to clone the original and the Scout II but it seems BT-30s are hard to come by. :( And, IIRC, the original had an extra long engine hook so the motor could kik back to change the CG but still not kick the motor out. Got enough in the que for now anyway. Just ordered a Taurus from Carl/ :)

Don
NAR 53455

Ltvscout
07-16-2006, 08:35 PM
Yes, bottom right with the screw eyes in them. I paid $8 each for these and I felt it was a fair price. In comparison you would pay $7 for the PNC-132 resin ones from Moldin' Oldies but their version only fits ST-13, mine are turned to fit LT-125. Semroc has a balsa version but I really wanted hardwood to add a little extra weight up front.

The exact weight of these cones with screw eye installed is 0.9oz each. The tight grain of the basswood and the smooth finish sanding job he did on these is awesome. It's going to be a shame to paint them.

The ones with the screw eyes in them in the upper left are the ones he made me for the SSRS Lasor-134 but I don't remember what I paid for those.
Would I be correct in assuming that Gordon still has the specs on these should I want some turned in the future? Maybe he'll chime in here. ;)

snaquin
07-16-2006, 09:11 PM
Would I be correct in assuming that Gordon still has the specs on these should I want some turned in the future? Maybe he'll chime in here. ;)

He should. I think I have the drawing he made for me to approve in an email. I'll forward it to you as soon as I locate it.

sandman
07-16-2006, 09:24 PM
Oh...yea...I have the specs. 2.70" long and sized to fit a heavy duty ST-13 or LT-125...whatever...1.34" O.D. 1.25" I.D.

I have a couple of files with your name on it so I have it I'm just not sure which one you guys are talking about.

If you want them well, I'll figure it out.

My "files" of custom stuff is getting really friggin' HUGE!

Maybe I should back them up, huh?

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-16-2006, 09:51 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking that's the kinda progress that looks good on your resume...if you're trying to get on at Arthur Andesen :)

Doug

"Andesen"? Isn't that an east coast pronunciation? :rolleyes: ;) :D

John Brohm
07-16-2006, 10:42 PM
A Fish Named Wallyum posted ARG Black Brant IVB pics

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3025

So the step in the airframe in the middle of the fin chord is a scale feature? Looks kinda odd.

Doug

Doug;

It's a scale feature; that's how Taras chose to represent the step down to the nozzle section of the rocket. In the Black Brant family, the nozzle section was bolted onto the propellant casing. The propellant casing for most of the rockets in the family was/is 17.26" OD (that's how Taras set his tubing diameter); the nozzle section has an OD of 16.5" (that's why a BT-60 is a good slip fit inside the T-1.72 tubing that Taras uses).

This step down in diameter means that the fins need a seating plate to make up the difference in diameter; this seating plate is a flanged affair, and that's what those little side plates on the model fins are to represent.

Hope this helps;

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-16-2006, 11:35 PM
Doug;

It's a scale feature; that's how Taras chose to represent the step down to the nozzle section of the rocket. In the Black Brant family, the nozzle section was bolted onto the propellant casing. The propellant casing for most of the rockets in the family was/is 17.26" OD (that's how Taras set his tubing diameter); the nozzle section has an OD of 16.5" (that's why a BT-60 is a good slip fit inside the T-1.72 tubing that Taras uses).

This step down in diameter means that the fins need a seating plate to make up the difference in diameter; this seating plate is a flanged affair, and that's what those little side plates on the model fins are to represent.

Hope this helps;

Thanks, John. All I could think to say was "Oh YEAH!"
This was the feature that stopped me in my tracks when I first opened the kit. To say I was intimidated is to understate it greatly. Then we moved and various parts got spread out around the house. I did the bulk of the build one lonely weekend when the wife and kids were out of town, and I was amazed/pleased to find how nicely the project came together, even with my sausage fingers and the tiny parts. I need to get going on the paint and decals next, but first I want to get it flying this coming weekend. :cool:

barone
07-26-2006, 06:14 PM
Progress. Finished my cloned Scorpius. Plan to launch it this weekend. Still some final detailing on the Force 5 from Quest. Ready to decal the A-20 Demon. And, as a side, finally finished painting my MRC Trailblazer. Been working on the paint for 6 months. Just needed to finish the flat black, but all that masking.... :(

Don
NAR 53455

Phred
07-26-2006, 06:43 PM
Don, That Scorpius works great!!

I have been concentrating on two models:

BT-70 upscale Mini Brute Hornet (Construction finished, top section finished and painted gloss black, bottom section almost ready for primer.)

Farside X rescue of a vintage, partially built kit: The main body is assembled, the payload section is painted, and the two boosters are in progess.

The problem is the weather. Right now, we are varying from humid to raining... so top-coat gloss painting is out.

Ph

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-26-2006, 07:44 PM
Don, That Scorpius works great!!

I have been concentrating on two models:

BT-70 upscale Mini Brute Hornet (Construction finished, top section finished and painted gloss black, bottom section almost ready for primer.)

Farside X rescue of a vintage, partially built kit: The main body is assembled, the payload section is painted, and the two boosters are in progess.

The problem is the weather. Right now, we are varying from humid to raining... so top-coat gloss painting is out.

Ph

That's odd. Your PICS don't seem to display on my screen. :confused:
Seriously. I'd love to see both of these. ;)

Phred
07-26-2006, 08:59 PM
OK, Ya got me Bill!!

Here a pic of the BT-70 upscaled Hornet. Yes, the payload section is complete, and the bottom half is getting close to primer.... I hate sanding. The cone is the good old BNC-70AJ, and the model sports TTW 1/4" plywood fins, and dual engine hooks. Rocsim predicts 1000' on an ESTES E9-6.

Please excuse the dungeon background.... :rolleyes:

Ph

Phred
07-26-2006, 09:07 PM
And here's a pic of the vintage Farside X rescue project. This model was purchased as an original, open, semi constructed early 1970s produced kit. Almost all assembly was performed except the sanding attachment of the fins. (Did I mention that I hate sanding?) I decided to build the model due to the advanced construction. Both booster tubes were a real mess from too much white glue, and I had to work quite a bit to get the couplers to release as they should, and to prepare the warped surfaces for fin attachment. But, IMHO, that beautiful 12" parachute is just awesome!! I opened it for the first time for this photo. :) :) :)

Ph

Tau Zero
07-26-2006, 09:57 PM
Please excuse the dungeon background....Phred, you may appreciate this... for *obvious* reasons. :rolleyes:

Q. What do you do when you have *more* than enough decals for one rocket, and two little girls in the house?

A. Why, you build *two* rockets, of course. :D

http://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews/kits/excel_love_bug.html

I had traced the fin pattern to balsa shortly before the Great Basement Flood of 2005, but obviously got nothing done *last* summer. :eek: Recently, I cut the fins out (imagine stack-sanding *six* 3/32" fins simultaneously), and using David J. "Sirius Rocketry" Miller's computer label paper finishing technique on the fins. (You can see where the excess CA ran off the edge of the fins onto the "flat" side.)

I attached the fins this week (again, using Dave's "masking tape to hold body tubes in place" method). I'd already assembled the motor mounts, so they went in last night (early this morning).

Now, I just need to track down a spray can of pink paint. :o (I'm not sure that Krylon does pink.)

I'm hoping to fly these with my girls (ages 9 and a half, and 8) next month. :cool:

Cheers,

Phred
07-26-2006, 10:43 PM
Oh, you betcha! Krylon does pink! I look forward to seeing both when they are finished!!

Ph

dwmzmm
07-26-2006, 11:01 PM
And here's a pic of the vintage Farside X rescue project. This model was purchased as an original, open, semi constructed early 1970s produced kit. Almost all assembly was performed except the sanding attachment of the fins. (Did I mention that I hate sanding?) I decided to build the model due to the advanced construction. Both booster tubes were a real mess from too much white glue, and I had to work quite a bit to get the couplers to release as they should, and to prepare the warped surfaces for fin attachment. But, IMHO, that beautiful 12" parachute is just awesome!! I opened it for the first time for this photo. :) :) :)

Ph

Nice pic of the Farside X. I have the original Astron Farside (regular size payload) awaiting assembly. I see on one of your booster the line for the fins is canted (as per instructions); I
intend to keep mine straight on all three stages...

Phred
07-26-2006, 11:05 PM
Yeah, I wasn't too keen on canting the fins, but I figured ESTES knew what they were doing in the 1960s when this model was designed. I plan on using a B14-0 for the fiirst stage to get her going, but it will still take some push to keep it at a stable speed. The instructions say not to launch in any wind!!

Ph

dwmzmm
07-26-2006, 11:26 PM
Yeah, I wasn't too keen on canting the fins, but I figured ESTES knew what they were doing in the 1960s when this model was designed. I plan on using a B14-0 for the fiirst stage to get her going, but it will still take some push to keep it at a stable speed. The instructions say not to launch in any wind!!

Ph

When I build mine, I intend to "clone" another first stage booster so it can use the D12-0; too bad the B6-0 is going OOP, as it'll help keep the Farside within safe (hopefully) recovery
limits.

And, with all that fin space, you can be sure that flying should be done in calm conditions.
I think at NSL - 2006 at McGregor. TX several months ago, someone (or several) flew a
three stager model and by the time the third stage was going, the model was pretty much
flying horizontal. That's why some of the clustered/staged models (scratch built) I flown
over the past few years, I made the models mostly marginally stable so it will fly nearly
straight up (which it did, in most cases). The stability was assisted by using fairly heavy
payloads (a Cineroc & an Astrocam).

Frank Broughton
07-27-2006, 05:38 PM
Ultraman as in the Japanese live action series? They showed that here in Cincinnati when I was in grade school. I don't remember much about it other than he might have been red and silver. Got a picture of this project handy? :cool:

Yes that is the Untraman. The Rocket is all primed up and ready for silver and red paint. Now if the humidity would just go down some. I will posts some pics when finished.

-= Frank =-

barone
07-27-2006, 08:13 PM
Okay folks. Is anyone else getting things done? Maybe I've got way too much time on my hands. Here's my completed PD Rocketry clone A-20 Demon. Still need to paint the recruit nose cones on my Quest Force 5 and it's complete. Hope to have launch pictures this weekend if it doesn't rain. We've got three channels here and all three report three different weather reports. So, I guess that there's a chance of no rain, isolated thunderstorms and rain. :rolleyes:

Don
NAR 53455

Phred
07-27-2006, 08:55 PM
That looks great!! I have always wanted a DEMON. Is the foil decal alps printed, or is is chrome monokote with the decal placed on top??

Ph

barone
07-27-2006, 09:15 PM
Is the foil decal alps printed, or is is chrome monokote with the decal placed on top??

Ph

Is there a way to tell? :confused: It looks to me that the printing is on chrome monocote. I do know, the foil doesn't take handling very well. :eek: Need to ware some cotton gloves or something when you handle them. Prints show up on it and they don't come off. The instructions say that the ink on the foil decals are not waterproof. Does that help any?

By the way, from my build que previously listed, the only thing remaining is the Canaroc Black Brant III. Gonna need them Goonie decals pretty soon. :D

Don
NAR 53455

Phred
07-27-2006, 09:21 PM
The way to tell is: Did you need to apply monokote, and then a decal on top?
Or was this a single decal, foil background, and with details printed on top?

If it was a single decal, that is the ALPS silver foil. I have only used it once or twice, and it is really awesome looking!!

Ph

barone
07-27-2006, 09:24 PM
The way to tell is: .......

Or was this a single decal, foil background, and with details printed on top?

If it was a single decal, that is the ALPS silver foil. I have only used it once or twice, and it is really awesome looking!!

Ph

Single decal. I just had to peel and stick. Gotta agree with you. Even with the finger prints, it looks great. Who's gonna be close enough to see those anyway? ;)

Don
NAR 53455

Green Dragon
07-28-2006, 07:33 AM
Great Looking bird, Don.

I always wanted an A20 Demon myself, ecer since I sold my unopened kit circa 1991-2.

Just recieved my own PDR version and starting on it soon ( when I make a little more progress on my PDR Cassiopia, another childhood 'wanted' ) .

Question re: the A20 -

on your pic it looks like the black wrap decals have no white in them .

I always thought the top wrap 'demon faces' were white ( although just checked Ninfinger, specicifcally the 76 catalog, and they look silver,,, likely white. ) - same with the clearly shown white background estes logo decal on the fin .

Are the PDR decals just black, or do they include the white ?

hard to tell in they;re printed white while still on the sheet.will have to check closer once I get going on it .

~ AL

Green Dragon
07-28-2006, 07:39 AM
Nice pic of the Farside X. I have the original Astron Farside (regular size payload) awaiting assembly. I see on one of your booster the line for the fins is canted (as per instructions); I
intend to keep mine straight on all three stages...

My Farside (vintage boosters with clone sustainer ) flies just fine with striaght fins, so not much of an issue with those big fins.

here's a teaser pic , lol :)

~ AL

dwmzmm
07-28-2006, 08:25 AM
My Farside (vintage boosters with clone sustainer ) flies just fine with striaght fins, so not much of an issue with those big fins.

~ AL

Cool pic! The other thing that struck me when looking over the instructions is that the launch lugs goes on only the second stage; I may "modifiy" mine and put the lug on the
sustainer only so I can fly the third stage alone from time to time.

How many flights does your model have?

JRThro
07-28-2006, 08:36 AM
I'm just about finished building my Quest Zenith II two-stage payloader. It's waiting for fin fillets on both the booster and the sustainer, then on to the finishing!

Oh, and I don't think I've installed the parachute yet.

Hey, has anyone ever painted their Quest Zenith II white instead of yellow, and then used the decal set from the MPC Zenith 2 to make a copy (not a clone, since it's not the same size) of the MPC kit? And what size was the body tube on the MPC kit? BT-50? The Quest kit uses the T-25 tubing, so it's 25 mm or 0.984 inches in outer diameter.

Tweener
07-28-2006, 09:57 AM
Man, I really haven't worked on anything at all this year! :o

Still have pending:

Estes Saturn V #2001 - not started
Semroc Laser X - not started
X-24 Bug clone - not started
Crazy Diamond (original design) - fins and tube cut
Thunder Roc clone - engine mount finished
Vulcan clone - inner tube and recovery system finished
Thunder Goon (original design) - needs painted and needs decals

Phred
07-28-2006, 11:21 AM
"Cool pic! The other thing that struck me when looking over the instructions is that the launch lugs goes on only the second stage; I may "modifiy" mine and put the lug on the
sustainer only so I can fly the third stage alone from time to time. "

I think the instructions state to put the LL on the 2nd stage in order to keep it near the CG. Why not have two? One on the 2nd stage, and another lined up on the sustainer? That way, all bases are covered.

Ph

barone
07-28-2006, 12:20 PM

~ AL

Got the parts for a Farside and Farside X waiting to be put together. Yours looks great. I had one once, long time ago. Unfortunately, it didn't survive one of my moves.

on your pic it looks like the black wrap decals have no white in them .

I always thought the top wrap 'demon faces' were white ( although just checked Ninfinger, specicifcally the 76 catalog, and they look silver,,, likely white. ) - same with the clearly shown white background estes logo decal on the fin .

The PD decals are just clear. Maybe they can't print white :( . They also didn't include the Estes decals. That might be an infringement thingy.

Don
NAR 53455

barone
07-28-2006, 09:30 PM
Well, where to begin :rolleyes: Currently working on a Scout III (final primed, ready for last sanding before paint). Also, the Quest Force 5 (ready for first prime coat). I've got the fins cut and filled for a cloned Scorpius from PD Rocketry and will be starting to attach them tonight. After those three, and probably in this order, there's the A-20 Demon from PD Rocketry and then a Canaroc Black Brant III. In between, complete the spiral filling on my Estes Voyager II and get it primed. By then, I hope Phred has come through for me and I'll start building the rest of his Goonies line :eek: Got all these Baby Berthas begging to be something. The problem here is the humidity. Probably have to wait till fall to get any final paint done. :( But heck, I've got plenty to do. Winter projects.....1/30 scale Little Joe from Sheri's Hot Rockets and Sandman's Vostok (if I get those two done, I'll start on his LTV Scout, yes there really was one in the box :) )

Don
NAR 53455

Do we normally quote ourselves? :cool: Okay, let's see where I stand here......... ;)

Scout III complete. Quest Force 5 complete (picture below). PD Rocketry Scorpius complete. PD Rocketry A-20 Demon complete. Estes Voyager II primed. Seems like I've got a lot done. Nice to have a "to do" list to help keep you focused, especially when you keep buying such great kits from Semroc like the Lil Hustler and Point. Anyway, hope to have launch pictures of the competed rockets for you if tomorrow presents some good flying weather.

Don
NAR 53455

barone
07-29-2006, 10:15 AM
Well, wasn't too bad of a morning for launching. Bit of a breeze but got everything back within 100' of the pad. Only one launch picture turned out any good. The rest are either smoke or sitting on the pad still. LCO and I need to get better coordination. When she says launch, I expect her to push the button.... :confused: Sometimes she pushes it....sometimes she doesn't.... :rolleyes:

Don
NAR 53455

barone
07-29-2006, 12:57 PM
Had go go back and make a few more launches before the rain came. Cleared the field and hit the coffe shop just as it started to rain :D

Okay, got pictures of the Quest Force 5 and Scorpius. The Force 5 spun on the way up on a B6-4. I don't know if that is how it's suppose to work or if I got the fins messed up :confused: I'm more inclined to think it's suppose to do it based on the way the fins are laid out. ;) It did stay stable though. The Scorpius flew twice today. First on an A8-3 and then on a B6-4. Big difference between them. On the A8, it never pitched over and just started to fall backwards (back slide glider?) when the ejection charge blew. B6-4 had it ripping. Both were great flights though. Thrown in for your amusement is a launch of one of my boost gliders. Trying to trim it out on 1/2As. Designed for full A and Bs. Almost there....just a little more nose weight...... :rolleyes: Now, where is that Black Brant?

Don
NAR 53455

dwmzmm
07-29-2006, 01:17 PM
Had go go back and make a few more launches before the rain came. Cleared the field and hit the coffe shop just as it started to rain :D

Okay, got pictures of the Quest Force 5 and Scorpius. The Force 5 spun on the way up on a B6-4. I don't know if that is how it's suppose to work or if I got the fins messed up :confused: I'm more inclined to think it's suppose to do it based on the way the fins are laid out. ;) It did stay stable though. The Scorpius flew twice today. First on an A8-3 and then on a B6-4. Big difference between them. On the A8, it never pitched over and just started to fall backwards (back slide glider?) when the ejection charge blew. B6-4 had it ripping. Both were great flights though. Thrown in for your amusement is a launch of one of my boost gliders. Trying to trim it out on 1/2As. Designed for full A and Bs. Almost there....just a little more nose weight...... :rolleyes: Now, where is that Black Brant?

Don
NAR 53455

Nice pics, Don! Is it my misperception, or is it for real, but the launch rod on that tripod looks
like it's longer than the standard 36".

dwmzmm
07-29-2006, 01:18 PM
Nice pics, Don! Is it my misperception, or is it for real, but the launch rod on that tripod looks

And, oh yeah, the Black Brant!! I want to see it!

barone
07-29-2006, 01:36 PM

Oh what eyes we have! :D

Yes, I launch using a 48" rod. Carry them in a 3/4 PVC pipe that's capped on one end and has a screw cap on the other. Three four foot rods (1/8, 3/16, 1/4) and a three foot 1/8 rod just in case I need to hold the clip leads out of the way.

Don
NAR 53455

barone
07-30-2006, 11:37 AM
Actually, this wasn't included in my build que but I've been working on it for over a year. Was just waiting to mask it so I could paint the recruits. Just needs the decals and some touch up and it's ready for the launch pad.

Don
NAR 53455

Green Dragon
07-30-2006, 12:33 PM
Actually, this wasn't included in my build que but I've been working on it for over a year. Was just waiting to mask it so I could paint the recruits. Just needs the decals and some touch up and it's ready for the launch pad.

Don
NAR 53455

lookin good, Don .

I have that kit myself, purchased and build when new, flown it once, iirc ( would have to check my notebook ) .

Nice scale bird - I know the MRC line has been badmouthed as so-so quality, but I really liked em ( thin tubes not withstanding). I have the Trailblazer, Standard Arm , had a 2x2, and I just recently built up a clone of the Starfire that I had but lost on first C6-7 flight, lol .

` AL

snaquin
07-30-2006, 01:25 PM

Don
NAR 53455

That's really nice Don. I always liked the long nose cone / payload section on that model. It's a sounding rocket that you don't see every day. I never had the opportunity to build any of the MRC rocket kits.

barone
07-30-2006, 01:47 PM
.......I know the MRC line has been badmouthed as so-so quality, but I really liked em ( thin tubes not withstanding). I have the Trailblazer, Standard Arm , had a 2x2, and I just recently built up a clone of the Starfire that I had but lost on first C6-7 flight, lol .

` AL

I really like the MRC line myself. I've got all the rockets offered under the Concept II line ( and a bunch of FX motors too :D ) and each rocket needing built from their catalog except the Rebel. I like the interchangable engine mount for the Concept II line.

Don
NAR 53455

Green Dragon
07-30-2006, 02:17 PM
I really like the MRC line myself. I've got all the rockets offered under the Concept II line ( and a bunch of FX motors too :D ) and each rocket needing built from their catalog except the Rebel. I like the interchangable engine mount for the Concept II line.

Don
NAR 53455

Please be sure to send the plans , patterns, decal scans in to Scott for YORP . :)

~ AL

barone
07-30-2006, 02:26 PM
Please be sure to send the plans , patterns, decal scans in to Scott for YORP . :)

~ AL

I think I already have. Scott, let me know what I haven't sent and I'll do them.

Don
NAR 53455

Ltvscout
07-30-2006, 09:55 PM
I think I already have. Scott, let me know what I haven't sent and I'll do them.
Sorry, I wasn't really following the thread. Which kit/plans are you asking me about?

barone
07-30-2006, 10:02 PM
Sorry, I wasn't really following the thread. Which kit/plans are you asking me about?

MRC plans. I've got just about all of them and Al was wanting me to send them to you. But I thought I may have already done so. So, I was asking you what plans you still needed for MRC.

Don
NAR 53455

Ltvscout
07-30-2006, 10:16 PM
MRC plans. I've got just about all of them and Al was wanting me to send them to you. But I thought I may have already done so. So, I was asking you what plans you still needed for MRC.
Hmmm, I don't see any "new" ones in my "to post" queue for you. Take a look here at what's already posted:

http://www.oldrocketplans.com/mrc.htm

If you have something not listed there, please send to me as you have time. Thanks, Don!

Bob H
07-31-2006, 07:51 PM

-PaulAfter being in process for the last 34 years, I finally finished my Estes Sky Dart.

The original decals were yellowed and the printing really wasn't all that good to begin with so I printed a new set of decals for it. My decals are slightly darker blue but look pretty good.

JSP
07-31-2006, 08:16 PM
Beautiful job, Bob!

Green Dragon
07-31-2006, 08:26 PM
After being in process for the last 34 years, I finally finished my Estes Sky Dart.

The original decals were yellowed and the printing really wasn't all that good to begin with so I printed a new set of decals for it. My decals are slightly darker blue but look pretty good.

In a word ( or two ) = WAY COOL .

Guess I'll have to add one more to the que .

~ AL

as a side note - got my clone Rogue decaled last night, not bad, will post pics and info soon.

also got my tri-F-O painted today as well... but still no light at the end of the tunnel, pile's growing faster n I can build em :)

tbzep
07-31-2006, 09:27 PM
Cool! I like the darker blue, btw. :)

Tau Zero
08-02-2006, 02:37 AM
Prometheus Prototype II for gift/display? (unidentified recipient in desert Southwest?)Not much progress recently, but I cut out fins for Prometheus Prototypes II and III tonight/this morning. It looks like #3 is headed southwest. But I gotta armwrestle my artist buddy to draw the "Hand and Torch" picture for the fin decal. :(

I also cut out replacements for the laser-cut fin set from my Semroc Micron. :o (Let's just say I fill-n-finished the original set, and since then, they've been on an *extremely* extended vacation.) Actually, I've been using Dave "Sirius Rocketry" Miller's computer label paper and thin CA fin covering technique for about the last half-dozen rockets I've been building, so it's just as well.

And since my original Centuri Micron had a PNC-73 plastic nose cone, I ordered a Semroc BC-723P cone (http://www.semroc.com/Store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=918) to replace the BC-719. :D :cool: So there ya go.

Cheers,

JRThro
08-02-2006, 08:19 AM
I started building the Semroc Recruiter, the one I bought at NARCON 2006, earlier this week and have been working on it over my lunch hours at work.

No pictures, but the motor mount is built and installed, and the transition with screw eye is glued into the forward body tube. Oh, and the fins are sanded, removed from the balsa sheet, and the edges are sanded smooth(ish). I'm using white Elmer's glue for this build.

Today I plan to round the leading and trailing fin edges and use white glue to fill the small gap between the transition and the body tube. If there's time, I probably should consider sanding the transition and nose cone too, eh? :)

This, btw, is my first Semroc build AND my first build with balsa transitions and/or nose cones. (other than Edmonds gliders that didn't require any finishing of their balsa nose cones)

Hopefully things will go well enough that I'll proceed to work on my PDR Trident kit, with its NINE balsa nose cones. :eek:

JSP
08-02-2006, 09:08 AM
I'm working on my Semroc SLS Laser X. I'm to the painting stage now.... I found that the most difficult part of the build (although it really wasn't that tough) was the engine mounts. Still, it's really cool to switch them out. It gives the rocket a different look depending on which one you have in it...

barone
08-02-2006, 05:57 PM
Hmmm, I don't see any "new" ones in my "to post" queue for you. Take a look here at what's already posted:

http://www.oldrocketplans.com/mrc.htm

If you have something not listed there, please send to me as you have time. Thanks, Don!

Okay....just uploaded the 2X2 and Time Traveler plans to the FTP site. Now, just to keep this post in line with the thread.....Has anyone seen the Terrier-Orion kit from Quest? This is another one I didn't know existed. Header card shown (gotta piece it together, my scanner can't do it all). And, someone from Quest actually got back with me and acknowledged that the mirror image decal for the Force 5 was indeed a mistake but they haven't corrected it. So I'll just have a single decal on mine. Still got that Canaroc Black Brant III in the que. :o

Don
NAR 53455

Ltvscout
08-02-2006, 06:03 PM
Has anyone seen the Terrier-Orion kit from Quest? This is another one I didn't know existed. Header card shown (gotta piece it together, my scanner can't do it all).
Yup, it's a nice kit. It was designed by Matt Steele.

Ltvscout
08-02-2006, 06:03 PM
Okay....just uploaded the 2X2 and Time Traveler plans to the FTP site.
I forgot to say thank you for the upload!

snaquin
08-02-2006, 07:15 PM
Well my Lil' Hustler is almost finished .....

I used the last of the Kilz spray primer I had on the nose cone and transition, two coats and it looks like all the grain is smooth. A little sanding on this second coat and it should be really smooth.

Can't spray paint with my glasses on so I reached for what I thought was a can of Krylon white primer and shot the bottom airframe and fins with Krylon gloss white by mistake instead of the primer :o At least I had one coat of the paint on Kilz already on the fins and sanded so the fins are smooth, but the tube is showing nice glossy white spirals. (I hate when that happens)

Question of the day: Where in the world are you guys getting Fill 'n Finish? I can't find a local source and I know the Elmers wood filler product isn't the same, right?

ghrocketman
08-02-2006, 08:18 PM
The water-based Elmers Wood Filler is the same as Fill 'n Finish, just thicker....you need to thin it quite a bit more. Don't get the solvent based stuff....that stuff is awful...you would be better off just using more coats of Kilz than that stuff.

barone
08-02-2006, 09:16 PM
Well my Lil' Hustler is almost finished .....

I used the last of the Kilz spray primer I had on the nose cone and transition, two coats and it looks like all the grain is smooth. A little sanding on this second coat and it should be really smooth.

Steve,

Looks like a rather straight forward build. Run into any "gotcha"s that we may need to know about (other than make sure you grab the Kilz) :) ? I was wanting to fill and sand the fins before I put them on the BT but with the TTW mounting, I was afraid they would end up too thick and need sanding down some more (did I mention I hate sanding?). But with the plywood and kilz, I guess it really wouldn't be much of a hassle doing it with the fins already mounted.

Question of the day: Where in the world are you guys getting Fill 'n Finish? I can't find a local source and I know the Elmers wood filler product isn't the same, right?

I use the Elmer's Wood Filler. I take a few chunks and put them in a plastic bowl (small margarine cup). Then add a little water and stir. Then add a little more water and stir. Repeating the process until I get the consistency I want. Works pretty good. Of course, I rub it in with my fingers. I think everyone else uses a brush or a pallet (maybe a fudge bar stick).

Don
NAR 53455

snaquin
08-02-2006, 09:22 PM
The water-based Elmers Wood Filler is the same as Fill 'n Finish, just thicker....you need to thin it quite a bit more. Don't get the solvent based stuff....that stuff is awful...you would be better off just using more coats of Kilz than that stuff.

Thanks GH I appreciate the suggestions. I've never used it but I find I'm using up a little more primer and needing to recoat a more times than I would like. I used to use finishing epoxy some on fins but not nose cones. That usually does it in one coat but it's overkill and adds weight. You guys get those glass smooth finishes. I up to trying something else like the water based FIll 'n FInish now .....

stefanj
08-02-2006, 09:24 PM
Where is the payload body tube? Are you finishing that some other way? (e.g. a wrap?)

snaquin
08-02-2006, 09:38 PM
Steve,

Looks like a rather straight forward build. Run into any "gotcha"s that we may need to know about (other than make sure you grab the Kilz) :) ? I was wanting to fill and sand the fins before I put them on the BT but with the TTW mounting, I was afraid they would end up too thick and need sanding down some more (did I mention I hate sanding?). But with the plywood and kilz, I guess it really wouldn't be much of a hassle doing it with the fins already mounted.

I use the Elmer's Wood Filler. I take a few chunks and put them in a plastic bowl (small margarine cup). Then add a little water and stir. Then add a little more water and stir. Repeating the process until I get the consistency I want. Works pretty good. Of course, I rub it in with my fingers. I think everyone else uses a brush or a pallet (maybe a fudge bar stick).

Don
NAR 53455

Don no gotcha's on the Lil' Hustler kit. It's about as good as it gets, a truly awesome kit. I mounted the fins before sanding & priming, and then I primed only the fins and launch lugs with the Kilz paint on stuff you get a Wal-Mart in the pint can (not the spray stuff). I used a disposable foam brush and painted a light coat on just the fins (I hate to sand too). I let it dry overnight and sanded lightly with the fin I was sanding braced in the palm of my hand for support so I wouldn't stress and break them. The basswood has a tight grain and one coat was all it took. I'm finding I'm liking the paint on Kilz better for basswood and plywood fins than the spray on stuff because with the foam brush you have better control over how much is applied and it dries real quick with a thin coat.

One thing that is mentioned in the instructions and I recommend you follow is in step 7. The fins fit very tight in the slots. Bevel the root edge slightly on each side. I just barely dragged a piece of fine sandpaper along the edge once or twice and they pop right in. No sense in trying to force the fins in the slot and risk snapping the tabs, and I kept thinking I would do just that if I kept trying to force them in.

Thank you and GH very much for the suggestions on the Fill n' Finish. I think I found out why I can't find it in the stores. The Elmers site refers to it as Fill n' Finish but the pictures in the links call it "Wood Filler". Has the name changed? See here and check the links for the Fill n' Finish products on the list:

http://www.elmers.com/homerepair/homerepair_products.asp?cat=2

Thanks for the application tips for the Fill n' Finish too Don. I appreciate that :)

snaquin
08-02-2006, 09:47 PM
Where is the payload body tube? Are you finishing that some other way? (e.g. a wrap?)

I'm going to spray it separate since it will be a different color than the nose cone and transition. I wrapped the transition to the nose cone with blue painters masking tape and sprayed them together with primer. I'll probably leave them together like that to spray the black paint on them. I didn't want to have to mask the payload tube since it will be a different color, I'll probably just roll a wand of paper up inside it to protect from overspray and paint it white (or yellow). If I paint it white I'll put the two small yellow bands on the top and bottom to match the 69 catalog.

http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/nostalgia/69cenp82.html

If I paint it yellow it will be all yellow to match the Semroc suggestion. I'm not sure how to finish it and I can't get a definitive image in my mind of how it should look. The back page in the same catalog has it finished similar to the Hustler in the photo.

http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/nostalgia/69cenp97.html

barone
08-03-2006, 12:31 PM
I'm not sure how to finish it and I can't get a definitive image in my mind of how it should look. The back page in the same catalog has it finished similar to the Hustler in the photo.

Steve,

If you get a chance, go to the NARAM live site. I think it's Monday's pictures where they have a Hustler finished out in the Semroc paint scheme. Looked good. Like you, I'm trying to decide.....

Don
NAR 53455

snaquin
08-03-2006, 01:05 PM
Steve,

If you get a chance, go to the NARAM live site. I think it's Monday's pictures where they have a Hustler finished out in the Semroc paint scheme. Looked good. Like you, I'm trying to decide.....

Don
NAR 53455

..... yes the one in flight. That might be the same Hustler Bob posted the picuture of Lee signing for Chas Russell in another thread here. I'm going to paint my Hustler the same as that one but I'm still undecided about how to paint the Lil' Hustler.

I'll have a little while to think about it while that Krylon gloss white that I sprayed on heavy like primer continues to dry in the garage ..... :o

stefanj
08-03-2006, 01:54 PM
My Hustler was painted to look like the one in the inside-back-cover catalog photo:

http://home.comcast.net/%7Estefan_jones/hustler_roof.jpg

I have the parts for a Lil' Hustler. Didn't know Semroc would make a kit so soon! I will probably paint it like the airbrushed picture on the catalog page. I like the roll bars on that one.

JSP
08-03-2006, 03:54 PM
I just finished my SLS Laser X. I wasn't sure how to paint it because there are actually about four different paint schemes used by Semroc and Centuri. I just kind of split the difference. Anyway, here it is...

A Fish Named Wallyum
08-03-2006, 04:03 PM
I just finished my SLS Laser X. I wasn't sure how to paint it because there are actually about four different paint schemes used by Semroc and Centuri. I just kind of split the difference. Anyway, here it is...

It's very subdued. :rolleyes:

JSP
08-03-2006, 04:05 PM
Oops.... Here it is...

snaquin
08-04-2006, 10:18 PM
My Hustler was painted to look like the one in the inside-back-cover catalog photo:

http://home.comcast.net/%7Estefan_jones/hustler_roof.jpg

I have the parts for a Lil' Hustler. Didn't know Semroc would make a kit so soon! I will probably paint it like the airbrushed picture on the catalog page. I like the roll bars on that one.

That's very nice and I hope I can get mine to look that good. The red on the payload section in your image seems to more closely match what's in the catalog. The catalog image looks red to me, not orange although I do see a number of people using orange on their models. I'm leaning towards red for my Hustler, but it's still only parts in the bag .....

If you don't mind me asking, what brand and color red did you use?

I did get the transition and nose cone shot with gloss black today on my Lil' Hustler. Humidity is too high here right now though. It looks a little dull so I'll give it one more coat on a drier day.

stefanj
08-04-2006, 10:24 PM
If you don't mind me asking, what brand and color red did you use?

Most likely Krylon Cherry Red Gloss.

snaquin
08-05-2006, 12:12 AM
Most likely Krylon Cherry Red Gloss.

Thanks, I have a spray can of that in the garage. As soon as I finish my Lil' Hustler I'm going to start on it's big brother .....

I thought I remembered you had a nicely finished Aero-Dart and possibly sold all the parts for one to build a while back. You had parts for two and built one. Was that you or am I thinking of someone else? I searched the forum but couldn't find an image.

I may be thinking of GH, but I think his was the 72' EnerJet version?

ghrocketman
08-05-2006, 02:34 AM
Steve is right about my Aero Dart clone, it is the blunt-nosed ST-20 based '72 Enerjet version. I also built a Hustler clone (well before the Semroc kit came out) that looks almost exactly like the '69 Centuri catalog back-cover Hustler.
I will be starting on my Semroc Aero Dart kit soon.

I used original new-old-stock from the 80's Stearman Red Aero Gloss dope out of my Badger airbrush for the fincan area of my Aero-Dart paint job, and I used Testors Competition Orange from a can for the Hustler payload section tube.

Incidentally I think I'm going to start using my airbrush and dope to finish more of my completed rockets; I find it gives a FAR superior (glossier and smoother) finish than any Testors, Krylon, or Rust Oleum enamel paint. It helps that I have several cases of Aero Gloss pints and half pints of most of the popular colors except Royal Purple....I'm down to only 2 pints of that one.

snaquin
08-05-2006, 09:02 AM
Steve is right about my Aero Dart clone, it is the blunt-nosed ST-20 based '72 Enerjet version. I also built a Hustler clone (well before the Semroc kit came out) that looks almost exactly like the '69 Centuri catalog back-cover Hustler.

I saved the image of your finished 72 version for reference but your Hustler at the time only had fill on the nose cone and transition and maybe a little filler on the spirals of the payload tube. You had an Athena in some of the pics too.

I like the 72 EnerJet version but I still haven't broken down yet to get the cone from Moldin' Oldies since I'm sure finding an original Orion cone would be rather difficult .....

ghrocketman
08-05-2006, 09:31 AM
I have a Moldin Oldies cone for the 72 Aero Dart, but it is extremely fragile....use it for display only, and only if you MUST have the molded in panel lines; from more than 5 feet away one cannot see them anyway.
Semroc makes a balsa replacement for this cone and that is the one I use for flying it.
The Semroc part number is BC-2032 and is $5.85

stefanj
08-05-2006, 05:47 PM
Thanks, I have a spray can of that in the garage. As soon as I finish my Lil' Hustler I'm going to start on it's big brother .....

I thought I remembered you had a nicely finished Aero-Dart and possibly sold all the parts for one to build a while back. You had parts for two and built one. Was that you or am I thinking of someone else? I searched the forum but couldn't find an image.

That was me. When I start on a fancy clone project I usually buy / make parts for two.

Here's the Aero-Dart Mk. III (1965 - 1971):

http://home.comcast.net/~stefan_jones/aerodart_pose.jpg

And for completeness, the Mk. I (1962 catalog)

http://home.comcast.net/~stefan_jones/aerodart_i_lo.jpg

And the Mk. II (1964 catalog):

http://home.comcast.net/~stefan_jones/aerodart_ii_lo.jpg

I had to hand-turn the balsa parts (not for Mk. I and Mk, II) and scrounge around for body tube substitutes. The Mk. I and Mk. II have mailing tube bodies, arduously filled and sanded smooth.

I sold the parts from my Hustler clone to Gary Fillibe, and auctioned off the parts for the second Mk. II and Mk. III Aero-Dart. (The Mk. 1 was a one-of-a-kind.)

I again must laud Semroc for coming through with parts and kits for these. You can easily clone ALL of them now.

snaquin
08-06-2006, 08:33 AM
That was me. When I start on a fancy clone project I usually buy / make parts for two.

Here's the Aero-Dart Mk. III (1965 - 1971):

http://home.comcast.net/~stefan_jones/aerodart_pose.jpg

And for completeness, the Mk. I (1962 catalog)

http://home.comcast.net/~stefan_jones/aerodart_i_lo.jpg

And the Mk. II (1964 catalog):

http://home.comcast.net/~stefan_jones/aerodart_ii_lo.jpg

I had to hand-turn the balsa parts (not for Mk. I and Mk, II) and scrounge around for body tube substitutes. The Mk. I and Mk. II have mailing tube bodies, arduously filled and sanded smooth.

I sold the parts from my Hustler clone to Gary Fillibe, and auctioned off the parts for the second Mk. II and Mk. III Aero-Dart. (The Mk. 1 was a one-of-a-kind.)

I again must laud Semroc for coming through with parts and kits for these. You can easily clone ALL of them now.

That's a beautifully finished collection! Hand-turned parts and mailing tubes ..... those Aero-Dart clones were created with a lot of TLC. I did see the images in your links for your 1965 - 1971 version and the 1964 version, probably when you posted your auctions. I remember looking at your Mk. II parts auction.

Have you flown all three of those models?

snaquin
08-06-2006, 08:51 AM
I did get some more paint on the Lil' Hustler yesterday. It took some sanding on the fins to get the brush strokes out when I mistook to spraying Krylon gloss white instead of a second coat of primer a few days ago.

I also shot the payload tube gloss white so now it's decision time. The yellow in the decal set isn't really yellow, it's sort of yellow gold. Looks sort of like the color in the catalog page of the 69 catalog:

I was thinking, the decal set includes one band that would make a singe wrap for the payload tube. However I'd need another band and have to try to match that same color for the fins. There is also a longer black band on the sheet but I don't see where I would use that, at least not on the 69 version. I could purchase an extra decal sheet to get another yellow band for the payload tube and have some extra decals in case I tear one. I'd just have to try to purchase a similar color for the fins.

OTOH if I decided to finish it like the Semroc photo and paint the entire payload tube yellow, I'd still need to find that color paint so the fins and yellow payload tube would match the decals.

Not sure yet what to do ..... so there it sits - in black and white

stefanj
08-06-2006, 12:26 PM
Have you flown all three of those models?

Yup! Each one at least once.

I should probably write an article about the Natural History of the Aero-Dart.

maricopasem
08-07-2006, 10:23 AM
Great forum! I'm glad I found it.

At least 20 years ago I received as a gift an Estes Phoenix kit. I started building it but never finished it. About 10 years ago I found it at my parents house and rescued it. The bottom portion had been ruined so I cut it off and saved the top portion of the tube and the cone. About a week ago I dug it out and have been working on a "version" of it. It will be significantly shorter but will still have a 24mm motor mount. I may even get to painting it today.

JSP
08-07-2006, 10:51 AM
Very cool! Let us see the results when you finish!

Green Dragon
08-07-2006, 11:12 AM
Great forum! I'm glad I found it.

At least 20 years ago I received as a gift an Estes Phoenix kit. I started building it but never finished it. About 10 years ago I found it at my parents house and rescued it. The bottom portion had been ruined so I cut it off and saved the top portion of the tube and the cone. About a week ago I dug it out and have been working on a "version" of it. It will be significantly shorter but will still have a 24mm motor mount. I may even get to painting it today.

Great to have you aboard !

Be cautious, though, as this forum ( and old rockets ) are VERY adictive.:)

One word of advice / caution regarding the phoenix - these are notorious for being marginally stable as-is, so making it shorter will only hurt stability - be sure to do a swing test or similar before flying it ( or test in an isolated area )

~ AL

maricopasem
08-07-2006, 12:17 PM
Be cautious, though, as this forum ( and old rockets ) are VERY adictive.

One word of advice / caution regarding the phoenix - these are notorious for being marginally stable as-is, so making it shorter will only hurt stability - be sure to do a swing test or similar before flying it ( or test in an isolated area )

Oh, the addiction has been in place for a long time.

And I'm aware of potential stability problems. I'm planning on doing the swing test and launch it out and away from anything that can be damaged, apart from cacti.

Bruce Temple
08-07-2006, 09:52 PM
Due to all the traveling this summer, I've gotten a late start. My build cue looks like Phreds(and I don't even have a decal biz to blame....grins), so I'll just have to list whats on the bench at this time.

Two Citation Bomarc resto's
Nova Scout Ship resto
Mini Tri pack & Screamer resto's
Skytracer resto
Mars Lander resto
Marte resto
Scrambler 2
Semroc SST Shuttle clone
Semroc & Moldin Oldies USS America clone
Sunward Sukhoi

Had to go up to Jersey and ride the newest tallest & fastest roller coster in the world.....evil grins. Check it out.

http://www.sixflags.com/parks/greatadventure/Rides/KingdaKa.html

Cheers, Bruce

rondo35
08-12-2006, 09:45 AM
Just putting the finishing touches on a Semrock Mars Lander and Estes V-2 , basically just shock cords and chutes. Will be Starting two more , Semroc SRS Hustler and Semroc Taurus, built both of the originals in the 60's and 70's.

snaquin
08-12-2006, 10:36 PM
Well

I guess I can officially remove the Semroc SLS Lil' Hustler from my build queue. I finished it tonight. I can't say enough good things about this rocket, it's an awesome Semroc kit :D

I decided to finish it like the page inside the 1969 catalog:

I have a suggestion for those of you who decide to finish the Lil' Hustler like the Semroc model as suggested on the website and in the image Bob posted of the Semroc display in their hotel room at NARAM. Bruce with Semroc returned an email to let me know they used John Deere yellow on the display model:

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3209

I totally enjoyed building and finishing the SLS Lil' Hustler and I hope you guys on the forum like it. Semroc - Carl, Sheryl and Bruce: I hope to meet you all in person at a NARAM one day to thank you all in person. I appreciate the hard work you put into producing such a fine line of exciting rocket kits :)

barone
08-13-2006, 02:22 AM
Great looking rocket Steve. Looking forward to your flight report. I just may have to start on mine.

Don
NAR 53455

stefanj
08-13-2006, 01:27 PM
Dang, Steve, do you buy a marble pillar to display ALL of your kits?

snaquin
08-13-2006, 07:03 PM
Dang, Steve, do you buy a marble pillar to display ALL of your kits?

You know it's funny you should mention that. When I need to take a picture of one of my completed projects I used to just lay them on the floor to photograph them. If I put it up on the workbench you probably couldn't see it with all the mess out there.

My wife has a small statue of Venus on that little pedestal on the corner wall of my living room and I realized I could get the model up off the floor to just about the right hight to shoot my finished projects on it instead of laying them on the floor.

Of course every time I move her statue to put a rocket up there to take a picture, I have to watch the expression on her face when I lay her statue on the floor to take pictures of my finished rockets ;)

snaquin
08-13-2006, 07:13 PM
Great looking rocket Steve. Looking forward to your flight report. I just may have to start on mine.

Don
NAR 53455

Thanks, Don. I'm getting ideas for motor selection now but we don't fly again at our field here in Louisiana until late October when the cotton field we fly at gets cut down. Our NAR section here flys at the end of every month but the field is small and "E" motors in a small rocket are at risk of being lost so I'm waiting to use the larger field in October.

barone
08-13-2006, 08:49 PM
Steve,

You in northern LA? Does your section fly competitions? Trying to find one close to me but everything seems so far. Not that LA is close :rolleyes:

Don
NAR 53455

JSP
08-14-2006, 06:37 AM
Of course every time I move her statue to put a rocket up there to take a picture, I have to watch the expression on her face when I lay her statue on the floor to take pictures of my finished rockets ;)

Let's see, moving the "God of Love" to take a picture of a beautiful rocket.....nope, I don't see a problem! :D

maricopasem
08-14-2006, 05:19 PM
Here is my Frankensteined Estes Phoenix that I mentioned earlier in the thread. I do have concerns about stability, but fortunately out here in AZ I just have the cacti to worry about hitting.

If it's a disaster I'll salvage the nose cone to make a 2.7x upscale of the Estes Apache, a favorite from my youth.

snaquin
08-14-2006, 07:32 PM
Steve,

You in northern LA? Does your section fly competitions? Trying to find one close to me but everything seems so far. Not that LA is close :rolleyes:

Don
NAR 53455

Don

I actually live in southern LA about 200 miles SE of Winnsboro, LA. Winnsboro is not too far from Monroe.

TRA prefecture #10 uses the field in Winnsboro, LA and it would be about 315 miles from Memphis. No competitions flown at the Winnsboro field though. I launch all my mid power and high power stuff there.

http://tra-la.org/

NAR section #596 (SoLaR - South Louisiana Rocketry) flys in Baton Rouge and although that's only 45 minutes west of where I live, the field is pretty small. They fly the last Saturday of every month from a small field between a Wal-Mart and Tinseltown movie theater just off of I-10. If you look at the images on their webpage you can see the interstate or Wal-Mart in the background of most of the pictures. Sport launches only, no competitions there either.

http://solar.itgo.com/

I could use a closer field myself. It's a 3-1/2 hour drive to Winnsboro to fly at the large field and I don't stay overnight so I drive back later the same day of the launch. Because of that I only get in a couple of hours flying time each trip there so I make it count.

Don you're probably closer to the big field in Manchester, TN that HARA and MC2 use for the Southern Thunder launches than our big field here. I attended ST2005 and those guys put on a great launch. I wish I was closer to that field, that drive was about 565 miles for me :(

dwmzmm
08-14-2006, 07:59 PM
Hey guys, I used to live in Natchitoches, LA (about halfway between Shreveport & Alexandria) until 1987. From 1969 through most of the 1970's, I did much of my model
rocketry activities up in Bossier City where we had the Ark-La-Tex Model Rocket Club
(then Section # 284) and we flew at a large, open field north of Bossier City between several
schools (forget which, but I think one was a high school and the other perhaps a middel school). Other than that, I was about the only one in Natchitoches who did any flying, and
was able to fly (for a while) at an open field near NSU across from Natchitoches Airport. It
was tough trying to get anyone interested in the hobby there.

Later, I was able to find a handful of likeminded interested rocketeers (thanks to the NAR &
Estes, who supplied me with a list of members and customers in LA), and hooked up with a
few in the Baton Rouge area. Even drove down there on some weekends to do some flying
at what was known as Independence Park in the middle of Baton Rouge. Due to the time
and pressures of a career in restaurant management, I went AWOL from the hobby from
1982 - 2003. During that time (beginning 1987) I moved to the Houston area, where I've
been since (we still have a paid for house in Natchitoches, which my mother owns and currently lives). Another career change in late 2003 allowed me to re-enter the hobby and
NAR, where I've never looked back since.

At least, you now have I-49 (which we didn't have when I lived there); when I was a member of the Ark-La-Tex Model Rocket Club, that was before I was old enough to drive, so I had
to rely on my parent(s) to drive me to and from Bossier City/Shreveport for club launches,
meetings, NAR contests, etc., during which (1971 - 1974) we were very active, even competing against such giants of those days like the Apollo/NASA and DARS Sections.
Also, there near Independence Park, there was a mall (Cortana Mall) that had one of the
best hobby shop I'd ever seen, that carried cool classic kits from Estes and Centuri; on one
of my visits there I hit paydirt when they had a number of classic kits on sale (clearance)
and I purchased all that I could with what I could afford at the time. I still have many of
these classic kits today ("still in the bag") awaiting assembly. Good thing I kept them in
safe storage for my "later years!"

barone
08-14-2006, 08:34 PM
Don you're probably closer to the big field in Manchester, TN that HARA and MC2 use for the Southern Thunder launches than our big field here. I attended ST2005 and those guys put on a great launch. I wish I was closer to that field, that drive was about 565 miles for me :(
Steve,

Haven't made it there yet but that's still close to 300 miles. The last few organized launches I've been to have all been put on by the Launch Crue in Indiana. Sounds like a long way but it's just 65 miles further than the Manchester TN launches. I get to compete with a great group of rocketeers. Always a weekend trip though. But Chad and his bunch always make me feel welcomed (especially when they kick my butt in an event :( ).

Next time you decide to make a Manchester launch, let me know and maybe I can make it too. My wife has a friend who lives in Tulahoma she might want to visit :rolleyes: .

Don
NAR 53455

Bob H
08-14-2006, 09:03 PM
After being in process for the last 34 years, I finally finished my Estes Sky Dart.

The original decals were yellowed and the printing really wasn't all that good to begin with so I printed a new set of decals for it. My decals are slightly darker blue but look pretty good.I flew the Sky Dart last Saturday. I had test glided it in my back yard and it had a reasonable glide for a hand launch.

I used a B6-2 and the boost was straight despite the 10 - 15 mph winds but when the pod ejected, it didn't want to pull out of a dive and it came in pretty hard.

The forward part of the fuselage got crunched and I can't just cut off the damaged part and replace it because the pod needs to be able to slide inside up to the nose cone.

I think the only way to fix this is to remove the entire wing and tail assembly and glue it to a new body tube.

Nuke Rocketeer
08-15-2006, 07:45 AM
Bummer Bob! A real downer to be under construction for 34 years and prang on the frst flight! Someone once asked me why I did not play golf, as it would help my career. I told him I shoot model rockets, I get enough frustration, so I do not need golf anger to go on top of that! Besides, I can only afford one hobby.

sandman
08-15-2006, 08:03 AM
My Pad Abort models are taking up all of my build que at this time.

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?p=10567#post10567

Lots and lots of foam and fiberglass!

I'm currently working on 3 prototypes.

Everything else has to just wait!

dwmzmm
08-15-2006, 08:22 AM
I flew the Sky Dart last Saturday. I had test glided it in my back yard and it had a reasonable glide for a hand launch.

I used a B6-2 and the boost was straight despite the 10 - 15 mph winds but when the pod ejected, it didn't want to pull out of a dive and it came in pretty hard.

The forward part of the fuselage got crunched and I can't just cut off the damaged part and replace it because the pod needs to be able to slide inside up to the nose cone.

I think the only way to fix this is to remove the entire wing and tail assembly and glue it to a new body tube.

That's basically what happened to my Estes Space Shuttle on its last flight, when it spiraled
down hard after a nice, straight up launch and really busted the Orbiter. That really hurts to
see that happen, Bob.

Phred
08-15-2006, 08:38 AM
My buikld queue is static... which is a gain!! I have managed to prevent myself from staring any new kits!

Actually, I have been overhauling the basement: I removed 3 train tables, boxed the trains, left one 4x8 table, repainted it, repainted the dungeon like walls (sky blue! for a rocketry theme of course!!) , built storage shelves, and started painting the floor. The basement will by no means be able to be called 'refinished', but it will be freshly painted, clean, neat and dry. Next is to finish the floor, and re-organize the rocket building room.

By the end of the week, I should be done. I will have a neat, clean prganized rocket building room, and a large open 'clubhouse' area, with the 4x6 table ready for ASTRE club meetings, projects with the kids, etc.

Phred

maricopasem
08-15-2006, 09:27 AM
I just finished this little one last night. It's a hand-rolled 18mm tube with the hand from a Playskool toy as the nose cone. My boys love it and I'm going to have make another one out of the other hand (in the shape of a fist) so my boys don't fight over it.

Now I can move on to my next project: a 1.6x upscale of the Estes Cyclone with a 4x18mm cluster.

snaquin
08-16-2006, 07:32 PM
Next time you decide to make a Manchester launch, let me know and maybe I can make it too. My wife has a friend who lives in Tulahoma she might want to visit :rolleyes: .

Don
NAR 53455

I'll let you know Don. I want to make at least one big launch next year, and NARAM if possible .....

snaquin
08-16-2006, 07:37 PM
I flew the Sky Dart last Saturday. I had test glided it in my back yard and it had a reasonable glide for a hand launch.

Nothing worse than crashing or losing your rocket on it's first flight. I wonder if you could cut off the damaged part and replace it and then bond a small piece of body tube or coupler on the exterior at the cut joint? Could work if it didn't catch on the inside joint seam.

Might not look as nice as your original but at least it would be flyable without a major overhaul.

Bob H
08-16-2006, 09:40 PM
Nothing worse than crashing or losing your rocket on it's first flight. I wonder if you could cut off the damaged part and replace it and then bond a small piece of body tube or coupler on the exterior at the cut joint? Could work if it didn't catch on the inside joint seam.I think I can fix this. I'll cut off the forward piece of BT and join the new piece with a coupler. I'll then make a new pod with the forward ring set further back so it stays behind the coupler.

snaquin
08-17-2006, 06:42 PM
I think I can fix this. I'll cut off the forward piece of BT and join the new piece with a coupler. I'll then make a new pod with the forward ring set further back so it stays behind the coupler.

Sounds like a perfect solution. Building another pod will be a lot less work than removing that wing assembly to move to another Sky Dart.

Barry in IN
08-27-2006, 05:15 PM
In my build queue?
Since I just became a BAR recently, I tend to want to make one of everything. But, the ones that I have actually done something about are:

1) Thrustline clone of Estes Nike-X: Built, painted, flown (yesterday), but needs decals. I have them. That was my favorite rocket from the first time around, and it made me happy to make another. Edit- decaled/done.
2) Thrustline clone of Estes Cherokee D: Have kit, plans, and decals. Have not started.
3) Semroc clone of Centuri's "The Point": Ordered yesterday.
4) Scratchbuilt clone of Centuri Mach 10: Ordered parts and pieces yesterday, have plans, need decals.
5) Semroc clone of Centuri Javelin: Coming with Mach 10/Point order.

Desired, but not bought or otherwise done anything:
1) Saturn 1B, looking at Dr Zooch.
2) Saturn V, same.
3) Scratchbuilt Delta (Med?, Hvy? undecided)

aaronoraa
08-27-2006, 05:36 PM
We have several rockets in our que at the moment. Here is a list.

FATBOY

Screamin' DEMON

Comanche-3â„¢

Stardart

Black Widow

We are currently building the Executioner. Please check out our website using the link below for pictures and video. Thanks.

PaulK
08-28-2006, 07:02 PM
In my build queue?
Since I just became a BAR recently, I tend to want to make one of everything. I got a real chuckle out of that Barry, I empathize with you! :) So many kits I had as a kid to build, and so many new kits out there, hows a guy to decide? :confused: .

Barry in IN
09-01-2006, 07:38 PM
In my build queue?
Since I just became a BAR recently, I tend to want to make one of everything. But, the ones that I have actually done something about are:

1) Thrustline clone of Estes Nike-X: Built, painted, flown (yesterday), but needs decals. I have them. That was my favorite rocket from the first time around, and it made me happy to make another. Edit- decaled/done.
2) Thrustline clone of Estes Cherokee D: Have kit, plans, and decals. Have not started.
3) Semroc clone of Centuri's "The Point": Ordered yesterday.
4) Scratchbuilt clone of Centuri Mach 10: Ordered parts and pieces yesterday, have plans, need decals.
5) Semroc clone of Centuri Javelin: Coming with Mach 10/Point order.

Desired, but not bought or otherwise done anything:
1) Saturn 1B, looking at Dr Zooch.
2) Saturn V, same.
3) Scratchbuilt Delta (Med?, Hvy? undecided)

Update-
Cherokee D: Started
The Point: Arrived, started, and completed.
Mach 10 clone: Parts here, started work (80% done).

snaquin
09-01-2006, 08:39 PM
Fresh out the build queue and with plenty of pics for your viewing pleasure. I have fond memories of the SSRS/Crown Lasor-114 and 134 sounding rockets. I flew my first composite F and G motors in these two kits back in the early 80's. The originals had nose cones and bulkheads turned from solid hemlock with plywood fins and heavy walled tubing.

The version I just built has a solid basswood nose cone from Sandman and uses Semroc LT-125 airframe tubing with a 29mm motor mount (LT-115). I cut a piece of 1-1/4" dowel rod to 3-1/2" long for the solid wood bulkhead and the fins were cut from 1/16" plywood. The original had surface mounted fins, mine mount TTW to the motor mount. I also used a Semroc baffle designed for ST13 and turned the o.d. down slightly with a dremel and sanding drum for a perfect fit inside the LT-125 airframe and to attach my kevlar shock cord mount to.

Last one I flew was over ten years ago and I always had a pretty good sucess rate for recovery using at least 10 feet of 2" wide mylar streamers and launched from a large field.

Some history and the Crown "philosophy" can be found on Ninfinger here as well as a starter set that included the E45 and awesome F67 composite motors:

http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/catalogs/crown82/82crown4.html

http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/catalogs/crown82/82crown12.html

In the pictures below the Lasor-114 on the FSI launch pad and the flight photo are from 1988 of my last original on a vintage Crown F67-12 low smoke composite motor. All the other pictures are from my current build. Also attached an interesting photo I found of Gary R. with Mark Mayhle the founder of SSRS/Crown. It's been so long I don't remember where I obtained this picture but I also saved the caption that went with it:

"Mark Mayhle on the left watches as Gary and Bob DelPrincipe prep a 2650 for launch at NARAM-16 1974 . Gary tells us that Mark started a company called Small Sounding Rocket Systems which later became Crown Rocket Technology and produced some of the first composite rocket engines after Enerjet".

Anyone else notice the similarity of the fin shape of the Lasor Series rockets compared to the fins of an orginal EnerJet 2650?

barone
09-04-2006, 10:08 AM
Finished detailing my clone of the Astron Ranger. Phred really did a good job with the decals. Still working on the Goonies (filling and sanding on the '57 Goony). I think I'm going to use it on the OSL event that Launch Crue is having in November. Goony Bird Zero got me a first place in PSL earlier this year. After a good cleaning, my Estes Voyager II will be ready for a final coat of paint.

Don
NAR 53455

Green Dragon
09-04-2006, 11:40 AM
Fresh out the build queue and with plenty of pics for your viewing pleasure. I have fond memories of the SSRS/Crown Lasor-114 and 134 sounding rockets.

Anyone else notice the similarity of the fin shape of the Lasor Series rockets compared to the fins of an orginal EnerJet 2650?

Steve,

lookin good :)

fin patterns missing from your post, lol ...I have the 114 pattern, but the 134 pattern I have ( traced from my brothers, differs from the catalog / 114 pattern I have .
it's a more swept back leading edge . not sure if Crown changed the design, or if AAA cut thier own fins for the kit we bought after AAA had bought out Crown ...

Will have to get pics of my LASOR 95 and 134 clones when I get a chance, so they can be compared to yours / vintage pics.

Too bad the single use choices are dwindling, hate to loose those on a reload ......

~ AL

Green Dragon
09-04-2006, 11:43 AM
Finished detailing my clone of the Astron Ranger. Phred really did a good job with the decals. Still working on the Goonies (filling and sanding on the '57 Goony). I think I'm going to use it on the OSL event that Launch Crue is having in November. Goony Bird Zero got me a first place in PSL earlier this year. After a good cleaning, my Estes Voyager II will be ready for a final coat of paint.

Don
NAR 53455

Great looking bird (again) , Don :)

Question re: Phreds decals = how much of that is decaled, what;s painted ? ( ie: is the white painted with roll-pattern decal, or is the white part of the decal, etc ) .

Saved the built pic, will be an inspiration to add one more to my already overgrown build que ( see my post below, lol ) ....

` AL

Green Dragon
09-04-2006, 12:02 PM
well, made some progress this week, then backed up a few steps, lol :)

reprinted the decals for the Magnum Hornet after ruining the first set ( they did not lay down well, so I used Micro-sol on them, they bubbled and the ink bled some, never had that happen before with micro-sol on Papilio paper, so sounds like I might have not topcoated / sealed em enough ...

got my Bandito clone painted, also finished my restoration on original CMR Paratrooper ( now painted nice, so much for the low-weight contest bird :D ), also decalled the Vigilante clone that I'd started maybe 10 years or so back

have a few more ready for paint, if we get some weather here in NY before winter ( rained all weekend, so nothing doing there) , Multi-roc glider, Wizard, Eclipse, Delta Star.. did get some primer on my Astron Bandit and Sting Ray clones.

now for the 'step back' , as it were - while staying up way too late ( no work today, lol ) watching the Angels game and NHRA US Nationals I drew and cut out fins for the following:

Centuri Defender Space Probe
Nike X
EAC Viper
Custom Rockets Dynamic Carrier
NASA Pegasus
Screamer
Javellin
Super Flea (part of the 'rebuild every one I ever had as a youth' plan :))
Antares
Centuri ScramJet
Astro 1
Astron Farside ( want to do one in the yellow catalog paint, does anyone offer the white
decals ?
D.A.R.T.
Cherokee D ( hey, I need a spare, lol )
downsize BT5 Cherokee D
WASP ( since I screwed up my clone I built years back from the remains of my
cousin's, I traced an original fin and built one up, mistakenly putting on 4
fins :confused: ,
downscale BT50 WASP
ATA 31

As you can see, I'll be busy the next few months :)

Of course will have to add more to the 'winter pile' , lol.... I'd hate to get cought up and have nothing to build .

~ AL

ps: pics sometime, batteries in the digital are dead, forgot to pick some up while out yesterday , and my wife took the HiNmh ones and charger on her trip to see her mom - leaving me home alone to catch up on building .. now I sound like Bill E. , lol......

jonrev
09-04-2006, 03:42 PM
-Finish an old A.R.V. Condor (havent worked on it in like a year)
-Fix my Estes Scissor Wing Transport
-Repaint my Estes AMRAAM

barone
09-04-2006, 05:13 PM
Question re: Phreds decals = how much of that is decaled, what;s painted ? ( ie: is the white painted with roll-pattern decal, or is the white part of the decal, etc ) .

Thanks Al. The white is painted and the roll pattern is the decal. Instead of trying to individually put the roll pattern on, I just cut the entire thing out, dipped it in the kitchen sink, and slowly applied it. The vertical black lines on yellow and the roll at payload separation are also decals.

Don
NAR 53455

Green Dragon
09-07-2006, 08:57 PM
surprisingly enough ... been real wet here in NY the last few weeks ( causing more than a couple launch delays / cancellations ) .

but it broke today, and even on my day off :)

did get some painting done, sorted out the last (I think) box of tubing I retrieved from my dad's , and just finished applying two coats of sanding sealer to a pile , while watching the first 6 innings of the mets game ( taking a breal now for a snack / check on here, lol ) .

sealed: Scrambler 2 , T-Bird, Estes Excalibur, Wizard, Semroc Thunder Bee, Star Dart clone, PDR SS Cassiopia, PDR A20 Demon.

painted: booster for the Sting Ray (mini tri-pak), Eclipse clone, Elrod-1 (from AmSpam plans,forget the issue), primer on Custom Venture, Sting Ray sustainer , Multi-Roc glider and my restored vintage Wolverine.

note / question - used new can of Rustoleum white sandable primer on a few ( particularly the Sting Ray,figuring the white basecoat under the yellow would be helpful).. well, again , on the Sting Ray, the primer cracked and seemed to react with the grey primer coat on the bird already ( plasticoat, I think ), is the Rustoleum known to be 'hot' or ? .. just wondering if those who use it could comment.

and, last night and tonight, got a few decalled and clear-coated as follows ( see pics ) :

Custom Rockets Bullet ( modified without 'strap-on boosters / tanks' - note the interstage area filled in with a whole bunch of 1/8" launch lugs to look 'ribbed', not quite the effect I thought it would be - not enough 'contrast' or something - but interesting nonetheless).
new decals on my Magnum Hornet, after first set was destryed by nicro-sol application, new ones, no problem, so I'm blaming it on user error,possibly not topcoated with enough decal fixative ( I use testor's fixative exclusively on decals these days).

Also finished up my restoration of vintage garage sale K27 Honest John ( with Phred's excellent decals :).

Enjoy ! :D

~ AL

( and keep posting your own, since they help keep me motivated, it's a "circular motivation " plan . lol )

Green Dragon
09-10-2006, 07:10 PM
<snip >

Finally got to get some pics of my LASOR series rockets.

first photo - fleet of 4 small rockets - LASOR 95 and 134, plus AAA Lasersonics 1.2+ and the Enerjet Sonic 36 'mystery rocket' .

2- Lasor 134 rocket ( "clone" based on my brothers last original he had from AAA, this one using AAA Crown spec tubing,couplers and Centuri PNC56 cone with coupler added )

3- Lasor 95 clone, scaled down based on the 134 patterns, originally had an NCR foam cone, but was lost, current is a BMS semi-custom cone.

4- both LASOR series birds together.

5- closeup of the fins, note the fins seem to sweep back slightly more than Steve's .. I have yet to do a heads up comparison with his fin pattern he gratiously sent, and the one I used, if real close, quite possible my bro just sanded the root a little crooked making them sweep, and I just copied his. ?

6 - last pic, cause it was there, lol, is the AAA Lasersonics 1.2+ ( fiberglass version,hardwood cone)

Enjoy ! :)

~ AL

barone
09-10-2006, 08:58 PM
Finally got to get some pics of my LASOR series rockets.

Great looking rockets! And I've learned another use for used tomato baskets.... :D

Don
NAR 53455

Green Dragon
09-10-2006, 09:12 PM
Great looking rockets! And I've learned another use for used tomato baskets.... :D

Don
NAR 53455

Thanks Don !

As for the tomato baskets, yep, that was a leftover unused one, and I just started using it to hold rockets while painting, since it was on the porch :)
works especially well for painting nosecones or simialr that are stuck into a scrap of tubing, then they can just be set on there, three at a time , lol .

~ AL

Zeus-cat
09-10-2006, 11:09 PM
How do you post a thumbnail and link it to a photo? I noticed a few of you do that so that people don't need to wait fo the larger photo to load if they don't want to see it.

I have a few rockets that I am working on that I can post photos of.

I have finished an Estes Gemini, but haven't flown it yet. I didn't use the standard paint scheme on it. I painted the body, the pods and the main part of each fin a metallic blue. The three nose cones and the tips of each fin are white. The contrast looks great.

I designed what I hope is a high-performace little beauty I named after one of my cats who died last year. In his younger days, Zeus could really race around the yard, so when I decided to build a rocket that would scream off the pad, there was really only one name for it. I even made "ZEUS" decals for him.

My other project was a rocket that sat around half-finished for years. It probably would have stayed that way, but I bought an altimeter from Perfectflite and this rocket is the perfect launch vehicle for it. This rocket will be named Tonka, after another cat who died last year. Right now Tonka is unpainted, but when completed, he will sport a black and white paint job reminiscent of the real Tonka. It has a pair of 18mm mounts and it will be my first attempt at building a cluster rocket. My plan is to launch it once on a pair of B4-4s to ensure that it is stable and airworthy. The second flight will have the altimeter installed. The third flight for Tonka will have the fins sanded down and sealed. The fourth flight will have him painted. Hopefully, I can get some interesting results out of the altimeter, flying the rocket in various stages of completion. The weather will be a factor as the launches will take place weeks, or even months apart. However, there isn't much I can do about that.

Ltvscout
09-11-2006, 07:31 AM
How do you post a thumbnail and link it to a photo? I noticed a few of you do that so that people don't need to wait fo the larger photo to load if they don't want to see it.
When you have the editor window open while posting or replying, scroll down and youll see a button that says Manage Attachments. Click on that, browse the files you want to post and click Upload.

Barry in IN
09-11-2006, 04:59 PM
Update-
Cherokee D: Started
The Point: Arrived, started, and completed.
Mach 10 clone: Parts here, started work (80% done).

Update-

Thrustline clone of Estes Nike-X: Done, flown several times...Lost in woods.
The Point: Flown several times.
Centuri Mach 10 clone: Done, flown a few times... resting on neighbor's roof. Awaiting strong wind to blow it down.

Still working on Cherokee D.

Zeus-cat
09-11-2006, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the help on posting photos ltvscout

I made 8 launches today.

The first photo is the my first launch of Tonka. Note that the payload bay is empty as I wasn't going to risk my new altimeter on an untested rocket. You get a beautiful shot of the twin B4-4 motors firing. The rocket was damaged slightly on landing as I used a parachute that was too small. I switched to a too big parachute for the second launch as I left the chute I wanted to use at home.

The second photo is still the first launch. Nice shot a fraction of a second after teh first one. Nice long tails from the engines. The launch pad was at an angle due to the slight wind that was blowing. The wind died down and the angle on the launch pad was eliminated.

The third photo is the second launch. The altimeter is visible in the payload bay. Again, a great shot of the twin B4-4s firing. The recorded apogee was only 135 feet. the altimeter popped out on landing - oops. No damage to anything - well, except my ego. I secured the altimeter a lot better for launch #3.

I switched to a pair of C6-5s for the third and final launch of Tonka. Another nice shot of the twin engines. A closeup of this photo shows one of the purple engine plugs flying past the bottom of the right fin.

Finally, a shot of the altimeter in its payload bay before flight #2 and the altimeter data from flight #3. I need to develop some sort of data smoothing routine as the raw data is pretty rough.

Ramjet
09-17-2006, 08:00 PM
OK, Lets see;

Dyna-Star Orion, in Primer as of today
Estes Explorer Aquarius 186% upscale clone, in slow progress
2 Estes Outlanders, 1 awaiting paint prior to final assembly, 1 in the bag
Estes Super Vega, needs new main body tube & chute - Estes E9 CATO victim- cored out
Estes Phoenix, needs sanding, god it's got a lot of fin !!!
Estes Pro Series 1/5 scale Patriot, redesigning motor mounts for Hi-Power
Estes Tomcat swing wing boost glider - awaiting me to get over the ugly deployment system
2 TP 2X Mars Landers, 1 for me, 1 for my brother (he bought them) not started
Estes Deep Space transport, nib
Estes Explorer Aquarius, box is open for the cloning of an upscale, sooo...
Estes Big boy, nib
maybe more...

:D

dwmzmm
09-17-2006, 09:26 PM
Received via USPS yesterday the following kits from PDRocketry:

Gemini Titan - 3

Alien Explorer

As you can guess, these will be on my build/construction project within a short time (have
to resetup my workspace, after my wife put "everything away" last July in preparation for
my son's birthday party). In addition to the above named kits, I'll also repair my FSI
scale 1/8 Black Brant - II that was damaged last year at Tex Regional in McGregor, TX when
the shockcord zippered and ripped off the model, losing the nylon chute and the nosecone/
payload section (replacement parts from SEMROC); build (at long last) my FSI OSO kit in
preparation for the NAR OOP engine test flights coming up later this year (F7-6 and E60-4);
and will get started on the Estes 1/70 scale Saturn 1-B kit I still have "in-the-box" awaiting
assembly.

ericrab
09-21-2006, 09:35 PM
Now that my house is repaired after Katrina, I'm starting over as a BAR. I've got a scratch built BT-50 size Viper sounding rocket and a 3X upscale Mosquito in work.

Eric

CPMcGraw
09-21-2006, 11:43 PM
Now that my house is repaired after Katrina, I'm starting over as a BAR. I've got a scratch built BT-50 size Viper sounding rocket and a 3X upscale Mosquito in work.

Eric

Eric,

Where are you located? Lou, Miss, Ala?

ericrab
09-22-2006, 10:42 AM
I live in Slidell LA

snaquin
09-22-2006, 09:58 PM

Eric

Sorry to hear about your loss from Katrina in Slidell, Eric. I have friends living in Slidell and just about anyone I've asked from there sustained at least some damage and some took total losses. Good to hear you're repaired.

I'm not sure if you fly with any clubs in the area but I'd like to extend a welcome to you to NAR section #596 (SoLaR - South Louisiana Rocketry) and the TRA prefecture #10.

SoLar uses a field in Baton Rouge and they fly the last Saturday of every month by Tinseltown off of I-10. The TRA prefecture just posted dates for our fall season 10/7, 11/11 and 12/16 but that's a pretty long distance to Winnsboro, about 200 miles for me in LaPlace. The rain dates are the following Saturday after the primary dates I posted. They fly all levels of rocketry at that field and I bring a pretty good bit of mid power with me and one or two HPR flights when I do attend.

The websites are here:

I'm planning to make all of the Winnsboro launches if our crazy Louisiana weather holds out. The Baton Rouge field will support low power up to about an E motor in rockets about the size of an Estes Executioner but not much more than that because it's so close to I-10.

Good people with both organizations.

dwmzmm
09-22-2006, 11:31 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss from Katrina in Slidell, Eric. I have friends living in Slidell and just about anyone I've asked from there sustained at least some damage and some took total losses. Good to hear you're repaired.

I'm not sure if you fly with any clubs in the area but I'd like to extend a welcome to you to NAR section #596 (SoLaR - South Louisiana Rocketry) and the TRA prefecture #10.

SoLar uses a field in Baton Rouge and they fly the last Saturday of every month by Tinseltown off of I-10. The TRA prefecture just posted dates for our fall season 10/7, 11/11 and 12/16 but that's a pretty long distance to Winnsboro, about 200 miles for me in LaPlace. The rain dates are the following Saturday after the primary dates I posted. They fly all levels of rocketry at that field and I bring a pretty good bit of mid power with me and one or two HPR flights when I do attend.

The websites are here:

I'm planning to make all of the Winnsboro launches if our crazy Louisiana weather holds out. The Baton Rouge field will support low power up to about an E motor in rockets about the size of an Estes Executioner but not much more than that because it's so close to I-10.

Good people with both organizations.

Hope you guys don't mind my "jumping in" here, but I lived (or should say I'm from) in
Natchitoches for 15 years (our permanent home is there), mostly during the 1970's, and
did most of my early model rocketry/NAR upbringing while there. Did some flying in the
city limits, but mostly drove up to Bossier City as I was a Charter member of what was
then the Ark-La-Tex Model Rocketry Club (Section # 284). Later, I got a mailing list from
the NAR and Estes and made contact with a number of rocketeers from around the state,
and hooked up with several from the Baton Rouge area, where I drove down and had a
number of launches at an area known as Independence Park (I think it's still there). I once
flew my Cineroc there with a model that was powered by an E30 ProJet composite with
three C6's strapons (believe it or not, all four motors ignited).

Also, during the 1970's, I was very active in playing chess tournaments, and often went down to New Orleans to play on weekends. Some of my opponents were from the Slidell
area. Sorry for the troubles Katrina brought (we had a close one from Rita after that). I
do hope you'll be able to rebuild your fleet; but it's hard to replace those vintage models.

Vanel
10-05-2006, 09:17 AM
In alphabetical order: Estes Eggscalibur (18/24 mm egglofter), Semroc Point, and Semroc Taurus:

http://www.billcooke.org/files/TRF/eggscalibur.JPGhttp://www.billcooke.org/files/TRF/The_Point.JPGhttp://www.billcooke.org/files/TRF/taurus.JPG

I still can't get over the weird looks of the Eggscalibur :eek:

ghrocketman
10-05-2006, 11:23 AM
I'm currently working on a Centuri Defender clone, using all Semroc parts.

PaulK
10-16-2006, 09:49 AM
Nice looking semroc birds, and great paint job on the taurus! Are any of the black parts decals or does it all require masking to get that look?

Vanel
10-16-2006, 06:17 PM
Nice looking semroc birds, and great paint job on the taurus! Are any of the black parts decals or does it all require masking to get that look?

Mucho masking :p

Solomoriah
10-17-2006, 07:11 AM
Pictured are my prototype "Slidewhistle" and my kitbashed "Cardinal."

The Slidewhistle, named by my daughter, is an entirely paper rocket similar to Art Applewhite's designs (and strongly resembling the old Centuri Two-Bitz rockets). The prototype is stable, at least according to a swing test, with an A10-3T motor fitted; it should be stable with lesser engines as well. Yes, that will kick butt... I don't have Rocksim to tell me, but I'm expecting big flights from this little devil.

The Cardinal started life as a Quest Flash. After my unhappy results with my Sprint and Justin's stock Flash on the wimpy plastic streamers, I decided this model will be recovered with a standard 12" Estes parachute I have spare (I've been making larger mylar chutes for the bigger Estes rockets in my stable, so I have some spares). The side tubes are the ones that Estes gives you to insert the thrust ring into the 18mm tubes; one came from the Black Diamond that I lost my first time out this year, and the other from my daughter's Viper. The top fins are spare fibreboard fins from that same Viper. This one may need nose weight to make it stable; I'm going to compare the center of gravity of the Cardinal to Justin's Flash, and if I've moved it back too much I'll put some epoxy into the nosecone.

I'm also working on an Estes Guardian, not pictured; I'm rigging the shock cord to the engine mount, but that means I need a little Kevlar or Gorilla Braid first. After seeing all the pictures of rockets damaged by the nose cone springing back into the main body, I decided to rig this one with dual chutes, one for the large nose section and the other for the main body. I don't think I need elastic shock cord at all in that case, but I'll probably put a few inches on to reduce the possibility of damaging the main body chute. Besides, having it recover (intentionally) in two pieces should be cool.

CPMcGraw
10-17-2006, 11:21 AM
Pictured are my prototype "Slidewhistle" and my kitbashed "Cardinal."

Solo,

Give me some line drawings with dimensions on the Slidewhistle and I'll run it through RockSim for you. Understand, RockSim will only approximate the model, since it won't do square body tubes, but it should allow me to fudge enough to see how stable the overall length-to-fin-area design is...

The Cardinal is a good-looking bash, too.

Green Dragon
10-17-2006, 12:24 PM
Both look like neat, simple designs.

The 'Cardinal' looks like a nice 'futuristic' ship, needing only some simple 'space' decor :)

Should be stable, the tubes will actually help somewhat,without being very heavy.

~ AL

Solomoriah
10-17-2006, 12:28 PM
Give me some line drawings with dimensions on the Slidewhistle and I'll run it through RockSim for you. Understand, RockSim will only approximate the model, since it won't do square body tubes, but it should allow me to fudge enough to see how stable the overall length-to-fin-area design is...
I'll send you the PNG image when I get home tonight. Thanks!

The Cardinal is a good-looking bash, too.
Thanks for the kind words. I'm going to put a cockpit on it, as soon as I decide which of the layouts I like best. Love that 110# paper... :D

Solomoriah
10-17-2006, 12:31 PM
Both look like neat, simple designs.

The 'Cardinal' looks like a nice 'futuristic' ship, needing only some simple 'space' decor :)
A cockpit is planned, as I mentioned above, and it will be mostly if not entirely red. Other than that, I'm interested in suggestions.

Should be stable, the tubes will actually help somewhat,without being very heavy.
Thanks. That's my feeling on the matter. I just can't make myself part with as much money as they want for Rocksim, and frankly I did this sort of thing quite a bit 20+ years ago with nothing more than a piece of string to test with (and didn't do too much harm with the test flights).

Solomoriah
10-17-2006, 08:08 PM
Okay, I've posted a PDF of Slidewhistle, Prototype 2, on my new website (pretty much all there is there right now...)

http://rocketry.newcenturycomputers.net/

It's still just a prototype. The PDF shows no difference between cut and score lines, for instance... you kind of have to know how it goes to build it.

I hate the nose, actually. I like how it looks, but it's heck to hold it long enough to get the glue to dry. I filled the nose of the first prototype with a big glue drop after the initial glue dried, and then put a small square of balsa in for stiffness; I think I'm going to just do the glue and omit the balsa for the Proto 2 I just put together.

By the time I have this thing done, my house will be littered with these little devils...

Tau Zero
10-17-2006, 10:05 PM
Okay, I've posted a PDF of Slidewhistle, Prototype 2, on my new website (pretty much all there is there right now...)

http://rocketry.newcenturycomputers.net/Solo,

Very nice! I *especially* like the logo! ;) :D :cool: --But then again, I *am* "Centuri Guy." :rolleyes:

I hate the nose, actually. I like how it looks, but it's heck to hold it long enough to get the glue to dry.Have you tried using the blue painter's masking tape? It's great for masking paint jobs (along with "skin oil" unstickied Scotch tape), and would come in handy here during assembly, I think.

By the time I have this thing done, my house will be littered with these little devils...Welcome to prototyping! :eek: ;) :p

Let's see, I have the original Tau Zero prototype, the improved Prototype II, the pre-production prototype I built and send to Carl McLawhorn, another prototype I need to send to somebody else (after I finalize the protype *decal sheet*)...

Cheers,

Solomoriah
10-17-2006, 11:01 PM
Thanks. I'm going to change the logo on the rocket to match the site logo (with "Rocketry" added), about the same time I redraw the rocket with gray lines for score and black for cut.

Then I'll write some directions. I have proto 1 and 2 on the desk in front of me, and I'm really happy with #2... the only changes will be the drawing bits mentioned above, it's done otherwise.

Solomoriah
10-18-2006, 10:00 PM
Okay, prototype 3 is posted on my website. There are no dimensions on the plan, so: The body tube is square (obviously), just under 2" long to the tip of the nose with 1/2" inside span ("diameter"). The fins are 1 3/8" along the trailing edge, 2 1/8" along the leading edge, with a 1/2" root edge; the leading edges, being the folded edges, are 45 degrees from vertical.

I admit to being curious as to the stability according to Rocksim, though I'm pretty sure it is stable based on (1) my testing, and (2) the resemblance between my model and the old Two-Bitz, which was known to be stable. However, I'm really more interested in projected altitude figures... especially the maximum figures for the A10-3T engines I happen to have laying around.

Solomoriah
10-21-2006, 08:48 AM
Okay, Justin loaned me his Flash and I compared CG between the Flash and my "Cardinal." Evidently I've only moved the CG back about 1/4 inch... I doubt that's enough to cause me a stability issue.

I'm really looking forward to trying this one out! Of course, first I need to find that missing launch lug...

Solomoriah
10-21-2006, 08:59 AM
I'm also thinking about cloning the old Centuri Bandito. I've created a fin pattern I can print on cardstock, and I think I can create a pretty decent clone by combining an Estes StarDart and Sizzler (which, conveniently, Wal-Mart sells in a package together under $10.00). I'll cut a thrust-ring-pusher tube to make the needed tube coupler, and cut the engine tube out of the Sizzler body; the longer StarDart body will become the Bandito's upper sustainer tube. I won't need a single thing outside of a sheet of cardstock and the two kits.

Of course, the original Bandito had a fibre centering ring to retain the engine clip; these models have a mylar band instead, which is naturally thinner. I suppose if I want an "accurate" clone I'll need to get such a part... probably I won't bother though.

CPMcGraw
10-21-2006, 12:59 PM
A few days ago, Solomoriah described his little "Two-Bitz" style model, and I said I'd try to run a RockSim of it. Well, I managed to approximate the design with a cylindrical form, and free-form-tweaked a set of fins based around the photo he had of the prototype. The performance is outstanding, as long as the model actually holds up to the stress!

I'm (re)naming this creation TUPPENCE, as a take-off of TWO-BITZ. Hope you don't mind, Solo... :rolleyes: (I know, you call it SLIDEWHISTLE, and that's the official name; I was trying to think of something that was similar to Two-Bitz... ;) )

Length: ~2.88" (This is an estimate, based on my free-form fins...)
Diameter: ~0.64" (2" divided by 3.1416...)
Fin Span: ~4.28" (Based on my free-form fins...)
Weight: ~0.064 oz

1/4A3-2T......362'......Dv 30 FPS
1/2A3-4T......612'......Dv 14 FPS
A3-4T........1039'......Dv 31 FPS

The plans show a simulated streamer, which is not actually there but is required to obtain the flight profile. The motor should freely blow out at deployment. This is obviously a sacrificial Mosquito-esque model, which one fully expects to loose but doesn't have to feel badly about. One additional observation -- the model is NOT STABLE until the motor is inserted.

Enjoy!

Solomoriah
10-21-2006, 10:27 PM
A few days ago, Solomoriah described his little "Two-Bitz" style model, and I said I'd try to run a RockSim of it. Well, I managed to approximate the design with a cylindrical form, and free-form-tweaked a set of fins based around the photo he had of the prototype. The performance is outstanding, as long as the model actually holds up to the stress!
Ooh, didn't think about that. It's so much like the Two-Bitz, and I recovered mine every time I flew them... except once when the plastic nose cone blew out because the engine stuck too tightly.

I'm (re)naming this creation TUPPENCE, as a take-off of TWO-BITZ. Hope you don't mind, Solo... :rolleyes: (I know, you call it SLIDEWHISTLE, and that's the official name; I was trying to think of something that was similar to Two-Bitz... ;) )
S'awright. :D

Length: ~2.88" (This is an estimate, based on my free-form fins...)
Diameter: ~0.64" (2" divided by 3.1416...)
Fin Span: ~4.28" (Based on my free-form fins...)
Weight: ~0.064 oz
The length is pretty well spot on; the fin span is just 3.75", though. The body tube is about 0.7" diagonally, so I'm not sure how the fin span went so far wrong.

1/4A3-2T......362'......Dv 30 FPS
1/2A3-4T......612'......Dv 14 FPS
A3-4T........1039'......Dv 31 FPS
Hmm. Time for a trip to Hobby Lobby... all Wal-Mart seems to have are A10-3T's. I don't think the mini mule kick is needed for this little monster.

The plans show a simulated streamer, which is not actually there but is required to obtain the flight profile. The motor should freely blow out at deployment. This is obviously a sacrificial Mosquito-esque model, which one fully expects to loose but doesn't have to feel badly about. One additional observation -- the model is NOT STABLE until the motor is inserted.
I didn't figure it was stable without the engine, but as it's too light to swing test without an engine I didn't know for sure.

Thanks very much for the analysis. I promise to report my results when I have some... rainy and windy here today, more windy and cold promised for next week.

CPMcGraw
10-22-2006, 07:25 AM
The length is pretty well spot on; the fin span is just 3.75", though. The body tube is about 0.7" diagonally, so I'm not sure how the fin span went so far wrong.

It was wrong because I just free-formed the fin outline, and didn't measure your drawing as I should have...:o That's a result of trying to reach the 1.00 stability margin with a loaded motor...

However, the stability margin was just over 1.00 on all three motors using this outline, so it's possible your fins were close. They might even be a fraction below the 1.00 mark. That's difficult to work out on a model like this, because most of our typical designs have a higher margin after burnout than at ignition. This model works the opposite, in that it is most stable at ignition, but because of the weight being burned off in flight, it becomes less stable by the time it reaches apogee (if it actually does). This design might actually be tumbling as it approaches apogee on the upswing, and thus never reaches the peak altitude shown in RockSim.

Barry in IN
10-22-2006, 08:00 PM
Time for an update.

Need to start:
Clone of Estes Ranger (parts ordered)
Clone of Estes Nike-X to replace the one I lost recently (parts ordered)
Clone of Estes Gemini-Titan (parts here)
Clone/adaption of Estes Gemini-Titan into a USAF Titan (parts here)
Dr Zooch Saturn 1B Skylab/ASTP (kit here)

Need to finish:
Dr Zooch Saturn V (mostly done, and already flown, but need to add some details)
Clone of Centuri Mach 10 (replacing a lost clone, like the Nike-X) need to balance and do finishing touches

Solomoriah
10-22-2006, 09:34 PM
Home sick today... assembled a Fliskits Triskelion, an Edmonds Tinee, and a Semroc Thunderbee, all ordered from JonRocket.com, and finished assembly of the Estes StarDart and Sizzler I got cheap at Wal-Mart. No progress on my Estes Guardian, though... I'm going to rig it with Kevlar to the engine mount, and I hoped to buy it locally, but it ain't gonna happen. I'm just going to have to order it online.

When painting season gets here again, the neighbors will think we have some sort of strange flowers sprouting in the yard (I put my rockets on bamboo garden stakes to paint them).

Initiator001
03-27-2007, 06:40 PM
Along with getting a Nike Ram clone (Or two) completed, I have been working on a Semroc SLS Explorer model.

I have decided to go with a different paint scheme then the one featured on the Semroc packaging or the majority of Centuri publications.

I'm going with a Orange/Black paint scheme as featured on the back, inside cover of the 1971 Centuri catalog.

Bob

bikegod
03-27-2007, 08:30 PM
Added to the build queue:

Night Whisper, Long Overdue, Corona, and Borealis (arriving soon). Corona and Long Overdue are ready for fillnfinish.

At Primer: Javelin and SLS Javelin.

In for Repairs: Hannah's Toy launcher, and SLS Laser X. Both were treated to a bad batch of D12s that gave absolutely hideous altitude (noseplant on the laser, and I am trying to fix a split nosecone that is glued in tight as well as reset the fins on the toy launcher as it made friends with a bush on it's nose plant).

Lots to do and little time.

Solomoriah
03-27-2007, 08:57 PM
Just a note: The Slidewhistle flew like a drunken banshee on an A3-4T (that is, moving fast and spinning like a top) but when the ejection charge blew, it tore out the "nose cone."

I have another one (Prototype 2) into which I have put a blob of glue and a little square of balsa for strength. I'll have to buy some more A3-4T's before I can test it.

It's a fun little rocket though.

handeman
03-27-2007, 09:06 PM
:D It's my birthday :D It's my birthday.... That means a couple more rockets. Yeah! :D :D :D

I have the OOP Drifter and Avenger on the list.
Rebuilding a Twister at present.
Got a starter set with a Astron Outlaw and a Black Diamond from my son today. They'll have to hold me over till I get the parts together for the OOPs.

JRThro
03-28-2007, 08:30 AM
Currently, I have a Semroc Recruiter (that I got at NARCON 2006) and an ASP 18 mm V-2 partially built.

I have the bag open on my Semroc Defender and am itching to start it, too.

Unfortunately, I'm good at starting but lousy at finishing (and completing) kits.

Rocketflyer
03-28-2007, 09:11 AM
Yup! Each one at least once.

I should probably write an article about the Natural History of the Aero-Dart.

Yes, please do. That would be very interesting! 8-)

Jack

Bob H
03-28-2007, 09:43 AM
Unfortunately, I'm good at starting but lousy at finishing (and completing) kits.Aren't we all :rolleyes:

I have an Astron Shrike that I started 35 years ago that is finally ready to be painted when the weather permits. I think the sealer is dry by now since it was sealed in 1972. :eek:

Eagle3
03-28-2007, 09:56 AM
Aren't we all :rolleyes:

I have an Astron Shrike that I started 35 years ago that is finally ready to be painted when the weather permits. I think the sealer is dry by now since it was sealed in 1972. :eek:

LMAO.. I thought I was bad sitting on my unfinished Shrike for close to 20 years. I got as far as painting it, but my decal sheet was all yellowed. I just haven't gotten around to getting a replacement from Phred. :rolleyes:

samb
03-28-2007, 11:09 AM
Estes SR-71 Blackbird which will get a 24mm motor mount and maybe 13mm in the outboard nacelles. Secretsquirrel and others have posted mucho info over on TRF on this one.

PDRocketry Solar Sailer was a prize won for a picture that I sent of my Goblin. Thanks again Eric and y'all get over to PDR and buy something !

F-104 "zip-4" Starfighter plastic model conversion that I've been working on in fits and starts for several months. A good learning experience but PMC may not be my thing.

My latest acquisition is a RedRiverRocketry P-Chuter Extreme. This one may jump to the head of the queue because I really like the design and I feel the need to start burning some AP motors. Check out RedRiver and buy something there too ! :)

Bob H
03-28-2007, 12:19 PM
LMAO.. I thought I was bad sitting on my unfinished Shrike for close to 20 years. I got as far as painting it, but my decal sheet was all yellowed. I just haven't gotten around to getting a replacement from Phred. :rolleyes:
I got a replacment set of decals from Phred at NEMROC last fall so I don't have anymore excuses.

After all, I did have priorities. I had to finish my SkyDart that I started at the same time as the Shrike. I finished that one last fall.

Certain projects just can't be rushed. :rolleyes:

Green Dragon
03-28-2007, 07:56 PM
I'm also thinking about cloning the old Centuri Bandito. I've created a fin pattern I can print on cardstock, and I think I can create a pretty decent clone by combining an Estes StarDart and Sizzler (which, conveniently, Wal-Mart sells in a package together under $10.00). I'll cut a thrust-ring-pusher tube to make the needed tube coupler, and cut the engine tube out of the Sizzler body; the longer StarDart body will become the Bandito's upper sustainer tube. I won't need a single thing outside of a sheet of cardstock and the two kits.

Of course, the original Bandito had a fibre centering ring to retain the engine clip; these models have a mylar band instead, which is naturally thinner. I suppose if I want an "accurate" clone I'll need to get such a part... probably I won't bother though.

Here front and center is the Bandito I did last summer.

nice build, although heavier cardstock then I used woul be better ( mine = coated with a couple layers of titebond after attaching, which did warp slightly.

as for the current que ... ( hey, I just got my new, larger ( 27" x 72" with starage underneath ) workbench , instead of building on a couple TV tables in the living room, so now I can build more / have more room for half build projects :D ....

Semroc Space Plane
AAA American Dream clone ( finally started, lol )
FSI Penetrator, Echo 1, OSO
Estes Super Flea, Nova Starship, original Solar Sailer
PDR SS Cassiopia ( slowly )
Hustler clone (all vintage FSI parts, with 2 piece fins with jap tissue covering)
???? if I ever get ambitious enough - get going on the 'started 5 years ago' L3 project....

~ AL

maricopasem
03-28-2007, 08:14 PM
I've been working on a 3x upscale of the Estes S.C.R.A.M. It is BT-60 with a 24mm MMT. Here are a few pictures. I attached the third fin assembly this afternoon and will start painting it tomorrow.

JRThro
03-29-2007, 12:26 PM
Aren't we all :rolleyes:

I need to get going on these, though. I'm not sure I have another 35 years left in me.
:eek:

Also, I started to build the Defender yesterday, and one of the 3 thrust rings got stuck about an inch from the end of its motor tube (instead of 2.5 inches) when the yellow glue grabbed too soon. Fortunately the motor tubes are 9 inches long and act as part of the body as well, so I can just reverse that tube and glue another thrust ring in the right place (glue willing) from the other end. Now if I can just remember to paint these tubes black before I go too far in the build process, because I'm not about to build the whole rocket and then have to mask off a bunch of things.

snaquin
05-21-2007, 08:27 PM
I knocked another one out of the build queue this past weekend ..... the Semroc SLS Hustler.

The Lil' Hustler has been built since August 2006 and I finally got tired of having the Hustler still sitting around in the bag.

I used the image from the catalog page inside the 1969 catalog for the Lil' Hustler as the basis for my color scheme for both models.

Lil' Hustler is happier now. He has a big brother!

Ramjet
05-21-2007, 09:01 PM
The Que is gettin larger, not smaller...
In Progress and finally making progress on a 2X Mars Lander.
Making good progress on a Estes Orbital Transport (the re-issue) with one still bagged.
Finished a Fliskits Pheord X150, small but I like the Redneck boost saucer.
This one is all cut-out, stick-on body wraps/panels so no paint needed !!!
New in the Que, and not started;
A vintage Estes Explorer Aquarius to replace the one that lawn darted last launch.
A QModeling Upscale (Estes) Vega w/ spring loaded landing pads even!!!
And an Orbital Engineering VMX-12 Boost Glider which I'm contemplating RC'ing.

Keep em Flying Folks, Ramjet

almost forgot; new in que; Fliskets Borealis and stingray kits

Ramjet

Maniac BAR
05-22-2007, 10:35 PM
Boy where to start!!!! :eek:

At this time I have at least 50 kits from:
Estes
Phred
Fliskits
Sunward
Rocketpad
Qmodeling
Quest
(must stay off Ebay, must stay off Ebay, must stay off Ebay)

and at least 100 plan sets to clone or reproduce. :D On top of that, I have about five or six scratch upscales to get to. At the moment I have the fins and body tubes cut for a BT-80 size Centuri USS America, the nose cones picked and the tubes cut for a BT-80 size Deep Space Transport, complete plans put together for a 4" dia. Astron Starlite (which I will be starting on soon for a planned launch this October and a 4" dia. Thrustline Duster for my 54mm AT motor cases.

I just finished building a Goonydent which has been coated with FnF and partially sanded. It was test flown last weekend on a D12-3 which was way to short a delay! Flown again shortly later on a D12-5 for a really beautiful flight!! Finished building a 2.5x Satellite Interceptor with a 29mm motor mount and set for duel deploy. Already FnF applied and sanded down, waiting for primer. In the process of super detailing a Polecat 10" V-2 for a customer (been one year on that one so far), 98mm motor, single electronic apogee deploy with second computer for backup. Although cert. to L2, with the 3x upscale of the Nike X in one of the pictures, the V-2 may be my L3 bird. The best part is my customer is footing the entire bill!!! First flight is planned with a L1300R and I am really glad I am not paying for the reload!!!!! I have the L2 cert. and I can't afford half of the various reloads! Just seemed like the thing to do!!!!!! :o

Completely finished the Ring Fin Thingy, Orion Cargo Carrier(OCC), Broadsword with twin 24mm motor mount, Quest Nike K , a Guardian with twin 13mm motor mount , the Optigoon scratch design of my own to give to Phred and the Fliskit Corona II(excellent kit, great flier!)

However I am quickly running out of room to display these freaking rabbits!!! I told my kids not to get me started on rockets again and now look what has happened!!!! :eek:

I have the Sunward Gravity Rider on the bench right now with two of Craig's park flier plans on top. How did all of this happen!!!! :rolleyes:

Fortunatly, I have some time at night when I get home to do about a half hour to a hour of work on them. I work nights like Doug and get home sometime around midnight. If I sit down in front of the boobtube it is dawn when I finally realize it's time for bed!!! :o If I get on the computer, it is the same thing. Rocket building is very relaxing for me and in an hour I am nodding out.

Here is some of the fleet with some of the singles I mentioned above.

Hey, maracopesem where you at? I'm in Phx. myself!

pantherjon
05-23-2007, 12:38 AM
Hehehehe..Well, I am not TOO far behind you BARManiac! Well, yeah quite a ways behind you..lol..I only have 70 kits or resurrections in the queue(I think, I lost count, will have to recount) Don't have the big clone/plans you do, but will eventually..Once I get a functional printer :(

I have the original Centuri USS America! Bought sooo many years ago..Bag is opened, I am pretty sure all the parts are in there..

Things have been in kind of a turmoil here so I have rockets scattered all over the house!..lol..

Once I get this picture posting thing figured out here I will post some..

Here is my USS America (http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t21/Pantherjon/YoungerYears003.jpg):)

JRThro
05-23-2007, 08:59 AM
I think I should only count things as being in my build queue if they're at least started. Otherwise, every kit I have would be in the queue! :D

So...

- ASP 24 mm V-2 is completely built now (but not primed/painted) as of last night, except for the parachute
- Semroc Recruiter
- Semroc Defender
- Rokitflite Fake Wulf beta build kit is completely built (but not primed/painted) except for the parachute

That may actually be everything that I'm currently working on or that's partially built.

maricopasem
05-23-2007, 09:35 AM
Hey, maracopasem where you at? I'm in Phx. myself!
I'm out in the far east valley. It's nice to see your launch pictures because the terrain looks so familiar. :D

Maniac BAR
05-25-2007, 02:43 PM
Don't let Jay see that USS America kit!!!!!!!!! :eek: He will find out where you live!!!!! Here is mine.
Almost finished sanding the Goonydent and I hope to have the 2.5x S.I. in primer this weekend. I need to make some spare sustainers for the Mirv Gryphen I built. Every other flight only has two or three of the four sustainers lite. But man, when they all go it is unbelieveable!
I finished an Edmonds CiCi last week in time for our local launch and I have to say he got that one right. Just a small ball of clay on the left fin/sabilizer joint towards the rear and that bird is quite a flier! :p
I found the nose cone/transition and tubing in my stash to make one of Phreds Nike Goons and it looks like I will be ordering the decals soon.
And oh, dang, I have all of next week off!!!!! :D

Maniac BAR
05-25-2007, 02:44 PM
Do you know about the SSS club? Are you a member?

Tau Zero
05-25-2007, 10:49 PM
Don't let Jay see that USS America kit!!!!!!!!! :eek: He will find out where you live!!!!! Here is mine.("disapproving" Dad voice) "Geoffrey! Don't make me come *down* there!" :eek: ;) :D :p

BTW, *excellent* bird!

Cheers,

snaquin
05-25-2007, 11:25 PM
Although cert. to L2, with the 3x upscale of the Nike X in one of the pictures, the V-2 may be my L3 bird.

Beautiful lift off shot of your 3x Nike X. Blue Thunder or Blue Baboon propellant I assume and what motor did you use for your cert. to L2 flight?

wildman33
05-26-2007, 10:50 AM
I'm working on a Estes Big Bertha, Sitting on the bench for next projects Semroc Mark II, Triton and Lil' Hercules. Estes Der Big Max.

Maniac BAR
05-26-2007, 03:44 PM
Steve, I was very suprised myself with that motor! It is an AT I357! I was not expecting that beautiful blue flame with just the right amount of smoke. Really got it off the pad quickly as well.
The L2 flight was on the "old" relieable AT J350. Sim said 4100' + and according to the various spotters at the launch it made that and more. All up, it was just under 5 lbs.
Didn't get one single launch shot of that one because no one was ready for it. :eek: The bird left like a shot and was at apogee before I could catch my breath. Actually, I didn't start breathing again until someone called out an open chute and it was coming down fine.
Why are we so nervous on a cert. flight? Everything is going to go just fine or it is not. Either way is ok, if it doesn't work right you just try again. I guess that is why we do this :rolleyes:

maricopasem
05-26-2007, 04:31 PM
Do you know about the SSS club? Are you a member?
I'm familiar with them but not a member. I generally just launch the small stuff and have a nice spot near my home and friends around who like to watch. I bring my boys and they bring their kids and we have chasers. :) I'm able to be in constant prep mode while others hunt things down.

Maniac BAR
05-27-2007, 05:14 PM
Chasers? What is this chasers? :p And Bill, don't start with this one. :D Please!!! :o

We launch at Rainbow Valley which is about 20 miles west from Phoenix, AZ. You can walk for two miles in any direction and not walk into anything!! :) And I know that from experence!! :o All that open land just begs for BIG motors in LITTLE rockets!!! :p

Some launch shots and yes that is me!!! Most of the mountains you see are six to eight miles away!!! But it take me one hour to get there on the freeways (62 miles one way) and you can imagine how hot it can get. We don't launch there from June to August. Most launches are only Sat. and in the morning till noon or so. You bring whatever you need or you do without!!

Special thanks go to Scott at Just Rockets who is almost always at the launches with a terrific selection of motors and parts. He comes in from Las Vegas which is a seven hour drive and is always there at 8am. :)

Rocketflyer
05-11-2011, 06:56 AM
Fresh out the build queue and with plenty of pics for your viewing pleasure. I have fond memories of the SSRS/Crown Lasor-114 and 134 sounding rockets. I flew my first composite F and G motors in these two kits back in the early 80's. The originals had nose cones and bulkheads turned from solid hemlock with plywood fins and heavy walled tubing.

The version I just built has a solid basswood nose cone from Sandman and uses Semroc LT-125 airframe tubing with a 29mm motor mount (LT-115). I cut a piece of 1-1/4" dowel rod to 3-1/2" long for the solid wood bulkhead and the fins were cut from 1/16" plywood. The original had surface mounted fins, mine mount TTW to the motor mount. I also used a Semroc baffle designed for ST13 and turned the o.d. down slightly with a dremel and sanding drum for a perfect fit inside the LT-125 airframe and to attach my kevlar shock cord mount to.

Last one I flew was over ten years ago and I always had a pretty good sucess rate for recovery using at least 10 feet of 2" wide mylar streamers and launched from a large field.

Some history and the Crown "philosophy" can be found on Ninfinger here as well as a starter set that included the E45 and awesome F67 composite motors:

http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/catalogs/crown82/82crown4.html

http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/catalogs/crown82/82crown12.html

In the pictures below the Lasor-114 on the FSI launch pad and the flight photo are from 1988 of my last original on a vintage Crown F67-12 low smoke composite motor. All the other pictures are from my current build. Also attached an interesting photo I found of Gary R. with Mark Mayhle the founder of SSRS/Crown. It's been so long I don't remember where I obtained this picture but I also saved the caption that went with it:

"Mark Mayhle on the left watches as Gary and Bob DelPrincipe prep a 2650 for launch at NARAM-16 1974 . Gary tells us that Mark started a company called Small Sounding Rocket Systems which later became Crown Rocket Technology and produced some of the first composite rocket engines after Enerjet".

Ahh, Steve, ya did it to me again. :chuckle: Love that bird. Fine work there.

jspitza
05-11-2011, 07:32 AM
This is a cool kit thats been in the stash since last July. Take care and happy hump day! Jeff

Feyd
05-11-2011, 10:36 AM
Well since this thread is revived, I'll add some of my own...

Art Applewhite - 10" Cluster Saucer
Squirrel Works - X-RV
DynaStar - Snarky
New Way Space Modeling - Nike Apache 2 (awaiting paint)
Semroc - ThunderBee (awaiting paint)
Fliskits - Tres (awaiting paint)
Secroc - SAM 3 (awaiting paint)
Scratch-Built - Skybreaker II (awaiting paint)
Scratch-Built - Long Dart (awaiting finishing)

foamy
05-13-2011, 06:16 AM
I've decided for sure what I'm going to start next: the Semroc/Centuri Centaur and Arcon Hi. That's after I paint a Big Daddy, Long Tom and 'Chuter II, which are all in primer.

And on a happy note, I was able to snag an Estes Silver Comet on FleaBay for (I think) a reasonable price. I'm quite pleased about that.

I just need to make some time and get those three rockets painted---or just find some employment closer to home.

jharding58
05-13-2011, 05:12 PM

Usually I put a ring of tape around the NC shoulder, install the cone and leave about a 1/16 gap between the cone and the tube. The paint applies to the cone and leaves a nice tight fit with a common finish.

jharding58
05-13-2011, 05:23 PM
Building:

2 x Scratch Gemini Titan II
1 x Scratch Nike X
3x Scratch Pershing II
4 x Scratch Pershing 1a
1 x Estes Mercury Redstone (mod)
2 x Estes Saturn V
1 x Semroc Satrun 1b

Waiting:

1 x Apogee Saturn V
1 x Orion Starfighter
1 x Torellian Invader
1 x Semroc Saturn 1b
2 x Semroc Mars Lander
2 x Scratch Nike X
2 x Gemini Tutan II
1 x Scratch Nike Ajax
3 x Estes Mercury Redstone

It really looks bad to see it all written down...

MarkB.
05-13-2011, 11:13 PM
Hmmm.....

This is going to look bad written down. Because my big slow down is painting, I'm going to add that as a catagory.

Painting:

Centuri Saturn Ib (rebuild)
TLP Hellfire
Estes Avenger (clone)
Maxi V-2 (touch-up)
Semroc SAM -3
Centuri V-2 (clone) (2)
Scratch Aries
Estes Viper (clone)

Building:

Scratch Shenzhou

Waiting:

Sandman Pershing Ia
Sandman Pershing II
Scratch SpaceX Falcon/Dragon
Estes SkyDart (clone)
Semroc ARCAS
3X Goblin Level 1 attempt
Scratch Proton/Zond

RedMaxFlyer
05-14-2011, 12:36 AM
And I thought I had a lot of rockets in the queue...

Building:

Always Ready Rocketry 3" Basic Blues Estes Scamp Clone Repairs on DynaStar Rising Star Paint on Custom Rockets Galileo

Waiting to be Built:

PML Mystic won in NARCON photo contest FlisKits Proxima Centauri won in NARCON raffle

I also have a large amount of rockets simmed in RockSim that I want to get to.

jharding58
05-14-2011, 02:33 AM
Well, it got a little smaller...

o1d_dude
05-14-2011, 03:51 PM
My build queue has become dramatically shorter now that allmost all of my tube fin rockets have either been completed or are least in paint.

1. MadCow Mozzie
2. LOC Precision Onyx
3. LOC October Skies 2010 Commemorative Edition
4. Estes Mean Machine

Following those, I have a number of Estes rockets that either need paint, finish coats, decals or some combination of those things.

1. Goblin clone (decals)
2. Cherokee D clone (decals)
3. Semroc Magnum Hornet (decals)
4. Estes Hornet (decals)
5. A whole family of Estes DRM's (Goony, Big, regular in need of decals)
6. Estes Rascal started in 1982? (paint and decals)
7. Estes Baby Bertha (paint and decals)
8. Semroc Lil Ivan (Assembly, primer, paint, decals)

Hmmmm...on second thought, my build queue isn't anywhere near as short as I thought.

Maybe with MP/HPR on hold for the summer months, I can get some of my LPR stuff done.

mycrofte
05-22-2011, 03:45 PM
Thought I would put this here since I started working on it last Fall.

Not quite done and looks like crap but I'm making it up as I go...

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-22-2011, 06:54 PM
#1 Centuri Python Fighter - original nose cone only
#2 Centuri USS America - combination of Semroc and Moldin' Oldies parts
#3 Custom Stealth Interceptor - rebuild of a kit bought on the way to NARAM 43 in 2001
#4 Estes Foxfire - Estes Space Racer cone
#5 Estes Photon Disruptor - Hobby Lobby kit

jeffyjeep
05-22-2011, 08:25 PM
First, a Custom Rockets Scavenger. Yes, yes, I know it's a 3FNC, but ANY rocket with a skull on it is cool! Plus, I like the unique design of the fins.

Then, a K-32 Starlight from scratch. Cone, rings, and BT from Semroc. I'm doing the pointy and fragile fins in basswood.

Then, a 1:70 scale LJII. I'm hybridizing(?) the boiler plate capsule by combining the Semroc parts and Apogee parts. I'll do a thread on that.

jeffk813
05-25-2011, 08:48 PM
I think I have a sickness......

In various stages of built-ness:

Estes Mercury Redstone (clone the booster)
Estes Mercury Atlas (under construction)
Estes Saturn V (under construction)
Estes Photon Disruptor (in paint)
Estes Super Alpha (in paint)
Estes Big Bertha (in paint)
Estes SR-71 Blackbird (under construction)
Aerotech IQSY Tomahawk (in paint)

Kits in my stash and awaiting construction:

Estes-
Orbital Transport
Interceptor
Interceptor E
Interceptor II
Fat Boy
Satellite Interceptor
Der Red Max
Alien Invader
Space Ship One
GBU-24 Paveway
BLU-97B Cluster Bomb
Python-4 ASRAAM
U.S. Army Patriot
Blackhawk
R2-D2
X-Wing
Tie Fighter
Meteor
Venus Probe (x3)

Quest-
Tomahawk SLCM
DC-Y Space Clipper
X-30 spaceplane

Others-
Roachworks Saturn 1B (the many-tube version)
Semroc Mars Lander

Scratch builds to be completed:

Astron Sprint scratch clone (under constuction)
Asteroid Explorer scratch clone (in paint)
Upscale Alpha "E" powered (under construction)
Upscale Der Red Max 3" (parts on order)
Estes Pegasus scratch clone (under construction)
6 different prototypes to be (hopefully) offered as kits in the near future

In the planning stage:

Upscale Der Red Max (5.5")
Upscale Blackhawk (BT-60)
Upscale Starblazer X-20 (BT-60)
Upscale Asteroid Explorer (BT-60)
Upscale Pegasus (BT-60)

tbzep
05-25-2011, 08:51 PM

It's pandemic on YORF. I wouldn't worry too much as long as you can keep the symptoms hidden from the wife. ;)

sandman
05-25-2011, 08:54 PM

In various stages of built-ness:

Estes Mercury Redstone (clone the booster)
Estes Mercury Atlas (under construction)
Estes Saturn V (under construction)
Estes Photon Disruptor (in paint)
Estes Super Alpha (in paint)
Estes Big Bertha (in paint)
Estes SR-71 Blackbird (under construction)
Aerotech IQSY Tomahawk (in paint)

Kits in my stash and awaiting construction:

Estes-
Orbital Transport
Interceptor
Interceptor E
Interceptor II
Fat Boy
Satellite Interceptor
Der Red Max
Alien Invader
Space Ship One
GBU-24 Paveway
BLU-97B Cluster Bomb
Python-4 ASRAAM
U.S. Army Patriot
Blackhawk
R2-D2
X-Wing
Tie Fighter
Meteor
Venus Probe (x3)

Quest-
Tomahawk SLCM
DC-Y Space Clipper
X-30 spaceplane

Others-
Roachworks Saturn 1B (the many-tube version)
Semroc Mars Lander

Scratch builds to be completed:

Astron Sprint scratch clone (under constuction)
Asteroid Explorer scratch clone (in paint)
Upscale Alpha "E" powered (under construction)
Upscale Der Red Max 3" (parts on order)
Estes Pegasus scratch clone (under construction)
6 different prototypes to be (hopefully) offered as kits in the near future

In the planning stage:

Upscale Der Red Max (5.5")
Upscale Blackhawk (BT-60)
Upscale Starblazer X-20 (BT-60)
Upscale Asteroid Explorer (BT-60)
Upscale Pegasus (BT-60)

OMG, that Saturn 1b is a freakin' antique!

jeffk813
05-26-2011, 06:15 AM
It's pandemic on YORF. I wouldn't worry too much as long as you can keep the symptoms hidden from the wife. ;)

I hide it in plain sight. She can't keep up with the rockets :) She really doesn't mind though. It's still a bit cheaper than my radios, firearms, and RC helicopters. Although, I'm starting to move towards High Power...

OMG, that Saturn 1b is a freakin' antique!

Yeah Gordy, I almost forgot I had it. It got put in a box shortly after I got it and I only recently re-discovered it. I almost don't want to build it since it's going to be a "classic" soon :)