PDA

View Full Version : Baka

jamjammer53150
08-03-2011, 02:10 PM
I have the plans for the Estes Baka , but i want to upscale it , however I dont have any overall length measurements . It just says a BT-60D tube , am I to assume thats an out of the box 18 inch piece?
I want to build it using BT-80 , as I have all of the rings and other parts on hand , and also an overstock of E and F reloads (24mm) to use up

any help is appreciated

CPMcGraw
08-03-2011, 02:16 PM
I have the plans for the Estes Baka , but i want to upscale it , however I dont have any overall length measurements . It just says a BT-60D tube , am I to assume thats an out of the box 18 inch piece?
I want to build it using BT-80 , as I have all of the rings and other parts on hand , and also an overstock of E and F reloads (24mm) to use up

any help is appreciated

The BT-60D was 11" long.

Download a copy of the #741 Parts Catalog (http://www.spacemodeling.org/JimZ/manuals/estp741.pdf) for additional references.

mwtoelle
08-03-2011, 02:23 PM
The BT-60D is 11" long. A more complete list of the Estes body tube length codes can be found at http://www.spacemodeling.org/JimZ/manuals/estp741.pdf .

ghrocketman
08-03-2011, 03:13 PM
Whatever you do, don't let anyone talk you into calling it "Ohka"...it was/is "BAKA" all the way.

jamjammer53150
08-03-2011, 04:47 PM
dosnt baka mean stupid or somthing ?

CPMcGraw
08-03-2011, 05:49 PM
dosnt baka mean stupid or somthing ?

Baka roughly means "Stupid", "Crazy", or "Fool"...

Okha means "Cherry Blossom", which is more a description of how the flight terminated...

Read this description. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yokosuka_MXY7_Ohka)

blackshire
08-03-2011, 10:16 PM
Whatever you do, don't let anyone talk you into calling it "Ohka"...it was/is "BAKA" all the way....Only if you have a Japanese immigrant neighbor whom you want to offend, for the term "baka" was also applied to the pilots who flew them.

Rex R
08-04-2011, 02:16 AM
you'll be needing approx 17.5" of bt80 :).
rex

ghrocketman
08-04-2011, 09:06 AM
"Baka" literally translates in japanese as "Idiot".
That is an apt description for anyone willingly climbing into the cockpit of those for ANY reason.
"Ohka" SHOULD mean TURD blossom.

Ironnerd
08-04-2011, 10:10 AM
Ever wonder why those Ohka pilots wore helmets?

ghrocketman
08-04-2011, 11:49 AM
Makes about as much sense as kamikaze pilots wearing them.
None, zip, zilch, nada.

blackshire
08-04-2011, 08:42 PM
Makes about as much sense as kamikaze pilots wearing them.
None, zip, zilch, nada.In some cases, the kamikaze group used multi-seat conventional aircraft, so that even radio operators went along on some of the one-way missions--even though their presence aboard the aircraft made no difference as to whether or not the allied ships they struck would be destroyed.

Late in the war, there was a small German "self-sacrifice group" of pilots who deliberately crashed their planes into bridges and other targets on land, although to very little military effect (a few Japanese kamikazes also struck land targets in Russia, with similarly largely ineffective results). Several very devoted Nazis came up with the idea after news of the Japanese kamikaze attacks came out. Even Hitler found the notion troubling, saying that "self-sacrifice [his term for suicide attacks] was not in keeping with the German character." I've read that there were some allied and (other) German pilots who deliberately crashed their planes into enemy targets, but only *after* they were mortally wounded by enemy fire--they did not climb aboard their aircraft intending to kill themselves. Also:

Even many of today's Japanese bristle at the suggestion that the kamikaze pilots were fools, although those few kamikaze pilots who changed their minds and survived the war would likely disagree with that "patriotic sentiment" of their countrymen.

jetlag
08-05-2011, 04:38 AM
There was even a group of German pilots assigned to crash their fighters into Allied bombers in the bomber stream. Assuming they survived the encounter, they would bail out of their wounded fighter only to do it again. The program was cancelled eventually. Even the Germans thought the price was too high.

Allen

jamjammer53150
08-06-2011, 07:56 AM
As soon as I chase down some batterys I will put up a pic or 2
It is intresting that another BAKA thread popped up , and how simmilar the approach was , I used junk i had laying around to build it .
I even made a little japanise man head out of playdoh , I tried to get a fierce expression of self sacrafice and devotion to the emeror , but it looks like a lump of playdough with eyes , kind of a chubby fellow .
I may go try to dig an action figure head from a flea market later today .

All that is left is to build the innards ,which really wont take long .

The canopy was a PITA , I hand scaled the dam thing which took around 2 hours ( I miss the copy machine from work ) I could just key in the ratio and push a button .

And if anyone is intrested I have a computer program that you key in 2 reference measurments, then it derives the correct ratio , and you can just mesure away and it will convert everything for you ( its not free , just extremmly cheap) like 10 dollars the guy who wrote it wants. So you can up/down scale from drawings or whatever

If this thing works out well and cancels my "Things with wings" curse I may build an HE 162 as I have the perfect length of BT80 left from this chop .
I have yet in my life to not crash any winged airframe I have tried , some due to bad luck , others from my mistakes .

jamjammer53150
08-11-2011, 07:52 PM
This started from the plans posted here some time ago , but I just wantwed to upscale the beast .
The canopy was a royal pain , and i didnt do the greatest job of glueing it in
I modified the innards a bit as it will come down in one piece , but still in the traditional dive bombing orentation .
the head end of the geman hand gernade is basically a baffle , stuffed with copper wool , since this thing needed nose weight , and i needed to use an ultra thin chute there was no harm . It slide real easly due to my secret mixture of sanding sealer and graphite , and a bit of polish.

I did a semi lame job of camoflage just randomly splotting various paint on it , and added some marking so i could see the thing

to find a pilot who has a look of fierce determination and loyalty to his emperor , I went to a comic book store and found a dragon ball Z key chain , which I amputated , and sanded off some of his spikey hair , then glued random shiny things in the cockpit

jamjammer53150
08-11-2011, 07:57 PM
hre are a few more

chrism
08-12-2011, 01:37 AM
The pilot looks like Goku from the Dragon Ball anime!

chadrog
08-12-2011, 04:07 AM
Looks great John, nice work!

jamjammer53150
08-12-2011, 01:32 PM
The pilot looks like Goku from the Dragon Ball anime!

It probally is him , some one told me the guy was from Dragon Ball Z , I just made him a bandana and sansed his spikey hair down Ill take a pic of my playdough attempt , it sort of looked like a fat greek guy

jharding58
08-12-2011, 05:51 PM
There was even a group of German pilots assigned to crash their fighters into Allied bombers in the bomber stream. Assuming they survived the encounter, they would bail out of their wounded fighter only to do it again. The program was cancelled eventually. Even the Germans thought the price was too high.

Allen

Ramming aircraft had been considered by a number of combatants. The Soviets trained their pilots (especially I-16 pilots) to run their reinforced props through an enemy's tail. Luftwaffe Rammkommando "ELBE" flew an 180 aircraft mission in April 1945 and downed 8 of 15 aircraft attacked. But then, this was the regime which gave 12 year olds a Panzerfaust to defend Berlin.