PDA

View Full Version : Quest Force 5 Model Rocket

barone
07-07-2006, 08:57 AM
Has anyone seen this kit? I picked one up from A to Z Hobbies (I think). Was surprised to see it since most of the new stuff from Quest is starting to look like the stuff coming from Estes. This kit reminds me of kits from when Estes was really making kits. Check it out when you get a chance. Below is a scan of the first page of instructions and decals. Header card is too big to scan in in one piece. Really looking forward to this build. Just don't particular care for the wide seams in the body tubes. :mad:

Don
NAR 53455

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-07-2006, 03:31 PM
I just saw a finished one the other day, but I'm too tired to remember where I saw it. Pretty sharp. Nice effort from one of the "major" players for a change.

JRThro
07-07-2006, 08:36 PM
I just saw a finished one the other day, but I'm too tired to remember where I saw it. Pretty sharp. Nice effort from one of the "major" players for a change.
Considering that Bill Stine owns Quest again and that a lot of Quest's employees are model rocketeers too, I'm not surprised that he's come out with some nicer kits recently. All with Kevlar and many with laser cut balsa fins, and some with through the wall fins!

barone
07-08-2006, 02:30 PM
Someone look at the decals for me and tell me what you think.....I think there's a problem with them but I'm no expert.

Don
NAR 53455

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-08-2006, 04:42 PM
Someone look at the decals for me and tell me what you think.....I think there's a problem with them but I'm no expert.

Don
NAR 53455

I saw that. One is transposed. I thought there was a reason for it.

Tweener
07-08-2006, 05:01 PM

Don
NAR 53455Maybe it goes on the front so it can be read in a rearview mirror like an ambulance. :D

barone
07-08-2006, 05:49 PM
Maybe it goes on the front so it can be read in a rearview mirror like an ambulance. :D

:D . I like that. Can that decal still be used? I mean, can the exposed side be applied against the rocket instead of the side by the paper and still adhere?

Don
NAR 53455

cas2047
07-08-2006, 06:43 PM
I bought the Quest Force 5 kit at a local hobby store a month or two ago and recently built it. I was very impressed with the quality of the kit. The only down side is that the body tubes had big spirals that had to be filled in. Other than that the kit is really great and the finished product is outstanding. I haven't had a chance to fly it yet, but maybe next weekend.

Maybe if Quest keeps this trend up, Estes will get a clue and start building real kits again instead of plastic toys...

Here is a picture of it I hope....

barone
07-28-2006, 09:08 PM
I bought the Quest Force 5 kit at a local hobby store a month or two ago and recently built it. I was very impressed with the quality of the kit. The only down side is that the body tubes had big spirals that had to be filled in. Other than that the kit is really great and the finished product is outstanding. I haven't had a chance to fly it yet, but maybe next weekend.

Maybe if Quest keeps this trend up, Estes will get a clue and start building real kits again instead of plastic toys...

Here is a picture of it I hope....

I see you didn't use the "backwards" Force 5 decal. I tried to apply mine top down but the bottom was white so I decided someone must have made a mistake.....probably suppose to reverse the pitch and use on the underside of the wing maybe. Anyway, I wrote to the company (e-mail) to try to figure out what was up. The last thing I heard from them was that they needed to have their research department look it up since it was a "discontinued" kit. Heck, I didn't even know it was out and now it's discontinued? Oh well. Mine's done and gets launched tomorrow if the weather holds. :D

Don
NAR 53455

cas2047
08-05-2006, 08:15 PM
Well I finally got to launch mine.

It was windy with some strong gusts. Proved to be an interesting flight. I got a good initial boost and then it started to rotate as it was heading up. It also healed over on a 45 degree angle at the same time.

It did reach a respectible altitude, deployed the chute and drifted down nicely however.

I'm going to wait for a calm day to fly her again.

I have to say that this rocket is a great deal for the short money it costs. I hope Quest keeps up the good work. It's my first Quest build, but won't be my last if they keep coming out with interesting and challenging kits like this. :)

Frank C.

barone
08-05-2006, 09:33 PM
It's my first Quest build, but won't be my last if they keep coming out with interesting and challenging kits like this. :)

Frank C.
Frank,

Check out the Quest Terrier-Orion. I found mine at A to Z Hobbies.

I got a good initial boost and then it started to rotate as it was heading up.

Mine did the same thing. I think it's the way the wings/fins are laid out. Pretty neat to watch. Mine was a slow spin. :)

Don
NAR 53455