PDA

View Full Version : Citation Patriot Question

dbrent
04-18-2011, 11:33 PM
Did the original Citation Patriot have a balsa nose cone or was it always plastic?

Jimid123
04-19-2011, 02:55 AM
Did the original Citation Patriot have a balsa nose cone or was it always plastic?

The nose cone was always plastic. You Take Care, Jimi

DaveR
04-19-2011, 08:40 AM
Yep, always plastic. It's the PNC-60AH, if you need one you can kit bash a Der Red Max or a Mean Machine.

Ltvscout
04-19-2011, 08:47 AM
The original, black two-piece cone is highly sought after. They're more heavy-duty than most other Estes plastic cones.

DaveR
04-19-2011, 09:08 AM
The original, black two-piece cone is highly sought after. They're more heavy-duty than most other Estes plastic cones.
You're taking two-piece in that it's the cone and a base, right?

dbrent
04-19-2011, 09:30 AM
Yep, always plastic. It's the PNC-60AH, if you need one you can kit bash a Der Red Max or a Mean Machine.

Already done... I ended up with a few open Mean Machine kits from a friend who got out of the hobby. I gave one of them away to kid in our neighborhood and used another for parts. I'll build the remaining one in the original black w/white lettering scheme.

As for the Citation Patriot, I'll be posting a couple of "Project" threads in the near future. Just waiting on getting some pictures taken.

Don

Cohetero-negro
04-19-2011, 09:42 AM

Scott,

I wish I could say the same for the blow molded copper color cones found in the gliding Citation Bomarc ... those things get damaged just in the shipping of the kit let alone flying of it.

They shatter like light bulbs ... :(

Jonathan

Bill
04-19-2011, 11:31 AM

The most recent incarnation of the Super Alpha also comes with this cone, even though it does not look right at all. I cannot imagine why Estes did that since they still sell the Patriot missile with the shorter cone.

Bill

DaveR
04-19-2011, 11:55 AM
Already done... I ended up with a few open Mean Machine kits from a friend who got out of the hobby. I gave one of them away to kid in our neighborhood and used another for parts. I'll build the remaining one in the original black w/white lettering scheme.

As for the Citation Patriot, I'll be posting a couple of "Project" threads in the near future. Just waiting on getting some pictures taken.

Don
Yep, I robbed mine from a Mean Machine kit too. :cool:

Ltvscout
04-19-2011, 12:26 PM
You're taking two-piece in that it's the cone and a base, right?
Correct.

Initiator001
04-19-2011, 01:44 PM
I still have my 1972 vintage Citation Patriot. :)

I don't fly it any more.

Here's some old pictures of it.

sandman
04-19-2011, 02:07 PM
OK, I have another Citation Patriot question.

I never owned one so I don't know .

Is the gold wrap decal with the eagle bright chrome gold or just metallic gold?

From the noted in his file, Phred had me printing them in chrome gold but I don't think that's right.

mwtoelle
04-19-2011, 03:18 PM
OK, I have another Citation Patriot question.

I never owned one so I don't know .

Is the gold wrap decal with the eagle bright chrome gold or just metallic gold?

From the noted in his file, Phred had me printing them in chrome gold but I don't think that's right.

The decals on mine (vintage 1983-84) are metallic gold. Can you get true chrome colors on waterslide decals? Chromes don't really work well on silk-screened items, if at all.

Bill
04-19-2011, 03:25 PM
The decals on mine (vintage 1983-84) are metallic gold. Can you get true chrome colors on waterslide decals? Chromes don't really work well on silk-screened items, if at all.

sandman uses ALPS printers which can handle it.

Bill

sandman
04-19-2011, 03:56 PM

Printing chrome is one of the cooler things an ALPS printer can do...when it works right! :rolleyes:

Ltvscout
04-19-2011, 09:05 PM
Printing chrome is one of the cooler things an ALPS printer can do...when it works right! :rolleyes:
So, could you print a replica Quasar wrap?

I just found an old starter kit in my stash of stuff that I had long forgotten about. It was supposedly an Alpha III starter set, but it has the fin can and nose cone from a Quasar, minus the chrome. The plastic is transulcent. Very funky. It is the original old style fin can, too, with the clipped fins.

I know there was a member here talking about getting parts chromed to clone a Quasar. I'd send him these two pieces to have chromed for me at the same time if someone can accurately recreate the Quasar White/Chrome/Black body tube wrap.

ghrocketman
04-19-2011, 09:22 PM
Patriot wrap is metallic gold in both the boxed Citation kit and the later bagged kit.

Stargate
05-14-2011, 11:01 PM

Scott, I still have 1 or 2 Estes PNC-60AH 2 piece plastic nose cones, but they are white. The circular white base plate gets glued into the bottom of the nose cone shoulder.
They definitely are thicker plastic and somewhat heavier that the one piece PNC-60AH used in the Mean Machine kits.
I sold about 15 Estes K-52 (Post Damon) Omega kits in past auctions. If I'm not mistaken,
2 or 3 of those sealed kits had the 2 piece thick white PNC-60AH plastic nose cones.

Larry B