PDA

View Full Version : Two More Newins!

Bill Gibson
02-10-2011, 05:52 PM
Still goin at it and havin FUN! ...A D/E powered ASP Wac Corporal, and a D powered BB....kinda did up the BB to look a little "WACISH" Im just havin TOO MUCH FUN...........! :)

El Cheapo
02-10-2011, 06:05 PM
I like it. I combined the two for a club member friend of mine. I renamed it "Wac Bertha"

Bill Gibson
02-10-2011, 06:09 PM
I like it. I combined the two for a club member friend of mine. I renamed it "Wac Bertha"
That is VERY COOL INDEED! Really CLEAN lines! Bet it flew good too! :)

CPMcGraw
02-10-2011, 06:20 PM
I also detect a passing interest in RC helicopters... :D

It's just a fad... :chuckle:

Nice work!

jharding58
02-10-2011, 06:59 PM
I also detect a passing interest in RC helicopters... :D

It's just a fad... :chuckle:

Nice work!

Boats and planes and helis, oh my!

Bill Gibson
02-10-2011, 07:40 PM
The Helis are "oldies", but are still very flyable, though i havent flown them in a llloonng time! Same with some of the planes......I dont see much of a chance of retiring in the future, so im just gonna enjoy each day till i drop dead! :chuckle: I think thats why im enjoying building and flying rockets so much....not so much electronics and mechanics...dont want to say simpler, just cheaper and more straight forward.....there are so many more builds ive got dancin around in my head, then visualizing the launch and recovery of each one! Crack/Cocain's got nothin on this stuff! :chuckle: Thanks for the kind words! :)

captain26
02-13-2011, 03:12 PM
Hello to everyone on the forum, new guy checking in with first post. I'm retired now and got bit by the rocketry bug in the early 60s. As with most hobbies, interests changed as I grew older and moved on to school, work and marriage. But, the bug was still there! I recently picked up a BB kit from the LHS and I'm itching to get start but had a few questions. I would like to upgrade it for D engines so I know I will need to change out the motor mount tube to BT50. Other than that, any other upgrades needed (shock cord/chute, fins etc)? Will it need nose weight? Thanks in advance from a new/old rocket addict!

cas2047
02-13-2011, 04:23 PM
Hello to everyone on the forum, new guy checking in with first post. I'm retired now and got bit by the rocketry bug in the early 60s. As with most hobbies, interests changed as I grew older and moved on to school, work and marriage. But, the bug was still there! I recently picked up a BB kit from the LHS and I'm itching to get start but had a few questions. I would like to upgrade it for D engines so I know I will need to change out the motor mount tube to BT50. Other than that, any other upgrades needed (shock cord/chute, fins etc)? Will it need nose weight? Thanks in advance from a new/old rocket addict!

Welcome captain26! Sounds like you fall into the BAR (born again rocketeer) category. Many of us fall into that category.

You can't go wrong with the Estes Big Bertha. That rocket has been modified many times so the 24mm motor mount mod is doable. Just make sure you have enough space to launch and retrieve it. I modified one to fly on D/E engines, but I also lengthened the rocket as well. It really gets up there.

I'm not sure if you've seen the EMRR site yet, but it's got some great rocket review build information, including BB mods. You can find it here: http://www.rocketreviews.com/newindex.php

The modification is pretty simple, you replace the 18mm engine tube with a 24mm engine tube, replace the 18mm centering rings with 24mm centering rings, and replace the engine hook with one to accommodate D & E engines.

If the BB's are still shipping with the old rubber or even newer elastic waist band shock cords it wouldn't hurt to upgrade the shock cord to a Kevlar cord and attach that to the engine mount rather than the side of the rocket. Then attach the elastic cord to the Kevlar and attach the other end of the elastic cord to the nose cone.

I'm not sure if nose cone weight is needed or not with the stock rocket length... someone will weigh in I'm sure, but you can always check the CG after you build the rocket to be sure it's stable.

Hey maybe you could start a thread and post the build progress and maybe some pics of the build and flight are always great too.

Chas Russell
02-13-2011, 05:10 PM
welcome captain26! In the future if you let us know your general location, often there are clubs or individuals that you could meet up with to fly.
The Big Bertha should handle a D12 without nose weight. After all, it was based on the Ranger which has a three motor cluster and payload section.
Kevlar, as recommended, is prefered as an anchor to the motor mount. Please be aware that it should either end as a loop a tad below the top of the tube or have a bead or tape "bumper" there if it extends past the tube. The kevlar will cut through the tube if the delay is too short or too long. Having something wider at the top of the tube helps to prevent that from happening. Elastic - quarter-inch or 3/8ths - after that for a couple of feet will help with recovery. It is better to have too much as too little may cause the nose cone to snap back and impact the end of the tube in what is referred to as an "Estes smile".

We are here to help!

Chas

El Cheapo
02-13-2011, 05:24 PM
As mentioned, kevlar is preferred but not necessary. The estes tri-fold mount will work just fine; however, I would recommend atleast doubling the length of the existing rubber/elastic shock cord. Replacement elastic cord can be found at most any place (Walmart, Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Joans, etc.) for a couple buck.

Bill Gibson
02-13-2011, 05:51 PM
As mentioned, kevlar is preferred but not necessary. The estes tri-fold mount will work just fine; however, I would recommend atleast doubling the length of the existing rubber/elastic shock cord. Replacement elastic cord can be found at most any place (Walmart, Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Joans, etc.) for a couple buck.

That is how my BB is set up .....tri fold mount and elastic cord 2.5 times the length of the stock cord that came with the kit.....i also wanted to mention that i used Rustoleum paint for the first time after using Krylon for previous builds, and the Rustoleum has a much nicer gloss finish the the Krylon paint does, though the Krylon is a little more forgiving and much quicker drying........Captain 26, WELCOME to the MADNESS! :chuckle: i too, am a BAR! I got back into it last Sept with my Granddaughters and we are havin a BALL! Ask lots of questions, by all means, as there are a TON of KNOWLEDGEABLE and SUPER NICE folks here that will be glad to help you...they've been a GREAT help to me! :)

Captain Ron
02-13-2011, 06:39 PM
I keep on reading about using kevlar in model rockets and I think its a great idea for HPR however in my experience i never had any problems using the stock Estes supplied rubber band and tri fold mounting. I think my plastic parachutes have worn out before the shock cord. Although I do find the sewing elastic more attractive than just the plain rubber band and would like to see estes stock these in their kits. My Starlight & squirrel Works rockets came with the braided elastic cords.

Heres a pic of my freshly painted BB built all stock. I used Rustoleum rattle can paint. I really prefer Testors for my models. Forget Walmart, they no longer stock Testors paints which Ive used for yrs on my projects but i dont want to drive 60 miles round trip to the only Hobby Lobby store that sells Testors. I figured what the hay since they're all enamel paints so I went with Rustoleum. But Rustoleum doesnt make "Plum crazy" like Testors. :chuckle:

cas2047
02-13-2011, 07:23 PM
Heres a pic of my freshly painted BB built all stock.

Very nice! It looks great!

Bill
02-13-2011, 09:35 PM
Although I do find the sewing elastic more attractive than just the plain rubber band and would like to see estes stock these in their kits.

In my first life as a rocketeer, shock cords were originally all contest rubber (from model airplanes.) Then a switch to cloth covered elastic began (by Centuri?) It was pretty much all elastic until a couple of years ago when Estes resumed using rubber (and balsa nose cones.)

Bill

captain26
02-13-2011, 11:20 PM
Thanks to all for the responses and advice! I'll definately upgrade the shock cord/mount. I don't have a huge flying site so I'll probably stick to C11 or D motors. I'm located about 25 miles south of Atlanta, GA - any info on local clubs would be great. When I was young, I flew my models in my grandfather's pastures but you had to be careful about smelly ground clutter!

Since my first post, while shopping with my wife today at Hobby Lobby I picked up a Big Daddy, D-Region Tomahawk and an Executioner. I think it's serious?? Who said shopping with the bride wasn't enjoyable!

El Cheapo
02-13-2011, 11:33 PM
Right on...Haven't seen a Big Daddy in a looong time at Hobby Lobby. Mine quit carrying D-Regions almost two years ago and Executioners last year. Hopefully you made several trips back to the car for more 40% coupons.

Captain Ron
02-13-2011, 11:47 PM
My local hobby lobby had one D-Region left and it was on clearance price $21.99 so i took it along with a Big bertha using my 40% coupon. I printed up another 40% coupon and gave that to my wife to grab an Estes patriot missile.

Bill Gibson
02-14-2011, 05:20 PM
Man! I keep forgetting that we now have a Hobby Lobby that just opened up before Christmas, AND a very kind soul gave me a gift certificate for said establishment!! My lovely wife always tears out that 40% off coupon and sticks it in the ol wallet......i gotta stop bein such a SLACKER! :D

captain26
02-15-2011, 10:16 AM
The D-Region & Executioner I purchased looked like they had some age on them, maybe clearance? The Big Daddy appeared to be new, now I have plenty to do!

I ordered all the parts for the BB upgrade and started cutting/filling/sanding fins yesterday. Also cleaned up the nose cone and began filling spirals in the body tube, slight crease also. I'm really enjoying the trip down memory lane as I build, brings back some very good times when things were much less complicated!

Bill Gibson
02-15-2011, 11:20 AM
The D-Region & Executioner I purchased looked like they had some age on them, maybe clearance? The Big Daddy appeared to be new, now I have plenty to do!

I ordered all the parts for the BB upgrade and started cutting/filling/sanding fins yesterday. Also cleaned up the nose cone and began filling spirals in the body tube, slight crease also. I'm really enjoying the trip down memory lane as I build, brings back some very good times when things were much less complicated!
Thats EXACTLY why i do it!! :)

Captain Ron
02-15-2011, 11:41 AM
I bought my D-Region on clearance from Hobby Lobby for 21 bux. the kit was in great shape and I was surprised to see it there so i had to jump on it. They also have a Mean machine on clearance for 29.00 bux but I didnt take it. I was going to get a Mean machine kit to use as spare parts and to have a handful of BT 60's for my Clone projects.
having these rockets on clearance makes me wonder if Hobby Lobby is phasing out on model rocket sales, or are they making room for new models?

jharding58
02-15-2011, 12:00 PM
I bought my D-Region on clearance from Hobby Lobby for 21 bux. the kit was in great shape and I was surprised to see it there so i had to jump on it. They also have a Mean machine on clearance for 29.00 bux but I didnt take it. I was going to get a Mean machine kit to use as spare parts and to have a handful of BT 60's for my Clone projects.
having these rockets on clearance makes me wonder if Hobby Lobby is phasing out on model rocket sales, or are they making room for new models?

TowerHobbies has the Mean Machine (1295) for $21.99. While the spare parts are a given, an 18" BT-60 is $2.35 PP from shhhh...you know who. Rhymes with Remroc.