PDA

View Full Version : Howard Kuhn's Memorial Service at Arlington

GuyNoir
10-28-2010, 10:03 PM
Long time NAR member, FAI Team member and manger, and FAI volunteer Lt. Col Howard R. Kuhn was laid to rest earlier this week.

Memorial service pictures are here:

http://gallery.me.com/craigkuhn#100138&view=mosaic&bgcolor=black&sel=22

NAR President Trip Barber said, in a message to those of us attending:

"Howard's United States Army did him proud with the full-honors military funeral by the 3rd US Infantry Regiment (the Old Guard) at Arlington National Military Cemetery, and Ed Pearson spoke for us all with his eulogy and by reading the great words sent by Howard's long-time friend Srdjan Pelagic. It was a privilege to be there to salute a friend and fellow rocketeer who so greatly influenced our own lives and experience in the hobby and who made such a difference with his leadership in this activity across the world for so many years."

I was proud to be part of the picture and humbled to be in such distinguished company. At our gathering, I counted three NAR Presidents, one CAR President, four NAR Contest Board Chairman, eight past NAR National Champions, three US FAI Team Managers, and three FAI Gold medalists.

Howard's impact on lives cannot be easily measured. I recalled my conversation with Barbara Stine upon Harry's passing where I reflected that Harry changed my life. So it was with Howard. His legacy to the sport and hobby that we loved could not be more clearly defined than by looking at the picture distributed by Trip and seeing the commitment his actions reflected, the people across continents with whom he connected, and the lives that he changed.

stefanj
10-28-2010, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the report and remembrance.

I'm sorry that Col. Kuhn's health problems didn't let him participate in events like last summer's NARAM.

Shreadvector
10-29-2010, 07:39 AM
Thanks for the report and remembrance.

I'm sorry that Col. Kuhn's health problems didn't let him participate in events like last summer's NARAM.

He had already passed away before NARAM-52 - in June. I flew one of my Manta gliders in honor of him at NARAM-52 on the sport range.

His competition nose cones live on and are available from Doug Pratt. Plans for CMR models are on the web so that his designs will be built and flown far into the future.

I loved seeing him at East Coast events with the CMR van full of modroc goodies.

rocketguy101
10-29-2010, 07:19 PM
His son posted old pictures on a site he calls Model Rocket Museum (http://modelrocketmuseum.com/) -- some neat stuff there!

K38
11-09-2010, 10:09 AM
what a wonderful ceremony. I'm so proud to live in a country that takes the time to honor it's servants in such a fashion.

Go With God Col. Kuhn,

Dwight

Bill
11-09-2010, 06:39 PM
Thank you, colornel, for your service to the country and the hobby.

Just as well I could not be there; military honors never fail to make me tear up.

Bill