PDA

View Full Version : CANAROC Tornado Two fins?

blackshire
10-23-2010, 10:19 PM
Hello All (eh),

Does anyone here have a fin pattern for the CANAROC Tornado Two kit (see: www.ninfinger.org/rockets/catalogs/canaroc78/78can18.html )? Since it had very simple, right-angle delta fins, even just the fin chord and root-to-tip dimensions (along with their mounting angle [it was a "spin-fin" rocket]) would be sufficient. Due to the fins' small size, I presume they were 1/16" balsa or the nearest metric equivalent (1.5 mm thick balsa).

The Tornado Two is very easy to clone--just 3 of the canted delta fins, a 7" length of BT-20, a BNC-20N nose cone, a screw eye, a shock cord & anchor, a streamer, a thrust ring, and a launch lug will do it. The (linked-to above) catalog came with a separate "Engine Spec Sheet" (not included in the online scan) that had the kits' recommended motor lists, so I would guess that the Tornado Two could use the A8-5, B6-6, and C6-7.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who could help.

blackshire
10-24-2010, 04:48 AM
Also, Sandman has the CANAROC Tornado Two decals! (see: http://towrowrow.tripod.com/excelsiorrocketry/id29.html )

barone
11-17-2010, 11:06 PM
Try these........

Need instructions?

blackshire
11-17-2010, 11:22 PM
Try these........

Need instructions?Thank you very much, Don! Will these print at 100% "as is?" As far as the instructions go, I imagine the Tornado Two is pretty straightforward (I presume the motor protrudes 1/4" from the aft end of the body tube), maybe with a snap swivel to (hopefully) prevent the recovery system from tangling after ejection from the spinning rocket. In any event, by all means please shoot copies of the instructions and patterns over to Scott so that everyone can see them on "Ye Olde Rocket Plans."

barone
11-18-2010, 12:18 AM
Thank you very much, Don! Will these print at 100% "as is?" As far as the instructions go, I imagine the Tornado Two is pretty straightforward (I presume the motor protrudes 1/4" from the aft end of the body tube), maybe with a snap swivel to (hopefully) prevent the recovery system from tangling after ejection from the spinning rocket. In any event, by all means please shoot copies of the instructions and patterns over to Scott so that everyone can see them on "Ye Olde Rocket Plans."

Yep...pretty straight forward. Motor protrudes 1/8". No swivel included with the kit. Since fins are canted ~10 degrees, the root edge needs to be sanded to fit "around" the body tube. Doesn't specify the fin thickness but I think it would probably be 3/32" although 1/16" would probably work (low profile so the spin shouldn't stress them too much). Recommended engines were 1/2A6-2, A8-3, A5-4, B4-4, B6-4 and C6-7.

blackshire
11-18-2010, 12:36 AM
Yep...pretty straight forward. Motor protrudes 1/8". No swivel included with the kit. Since fins are canted ~10 degrees, the root edge needs to be sanded to fit "around" the body tube. Doesn't specify the fin thickness but I think it would probably be 3/32" although 1/16" would probably work (low profile so the spin shouldn't stress them too much). Recommended engines were 1/2A6-2, A8-3, A5-4, B4-4, B6-4 and C6-7.Don, I thank you for filling in these information gaps! Was the launch lug glued to the body tube above the fins? Also, how long was it? I would not have suspected the short-protruding motor (although the model rocket in the Canadian-made Aeronautical Exploration Outfit by Logix had only 5 mm of the motor protruding). The Tornado Two fins in the Canaroc catalog illustration appear to be 3/32" thick, although paper-laminated 1/16" thick fins would look nice and be plenty strong.

barone
11-18-2010, 07:55 AM
Here's a quick PDF of the plans. I'll put an entire package together later tonight (header, instructions, patterns, decals). Without having the info in front of me, I think the overall length was 9.75". There isn't any data for the launch lug but I'd imagine that it would be comparable to what you would find in an Estes Alpha kit or Hi-Flyer.

barone
11-18-2010, 01:04 PM
Complete file.......and the overall length is indeed 9.75"

Carl@Semroc
11-18-2010, 04:12 PM
Fin material in mine is 1/8" balsa. Engine block is 1/8" long. Launch lug is 2.375" long. Streamer is 2" wide. Body tube is slightly smaller in diameter than BT-20 and thinner walled. Engine is TIGHT fit. Nose cone is close to BNC-20N at 2.75" long.

blackshire
11-18-2010, 06:35 PM
Don and Carl, I thank you both very much for your help with this! Also, I've sent a link to this thread (with acknowledgements to both of you) to Scott so that this material can be put on "Ye Olde Rocket Plans." (From what you posted about the Tornado Two body tube, Carl, it sounds like the CANAROC 18 mm motors *were* exactly 18 mm in diameter [like the MRC motors and Quest motors] and therefore slightly narrower than Estes motors.)