PDA

View Full Version : Atlas Scrubbed

MarkB.
10-14-2010, 10:42 PM
I bought an incomplete Estes Mercury Atlas on eBay mostly for the capsule, which was complete, for a Little Joe 1 project.

When I got it, the capsule and tower were in good shape, so I duly fixed them up, painted them and set them aside for the future Little Joe build. Which left me with the Atlas body. The origianl builder did a credible job of building, but clearly was over his head on the vacuformed parts. In fact, it appears that the corregated wrap melted in some areas and is badly deformed. I am missing the short and long conduits and the fancy plastic LOX line but I think these are easily scratched out of balsa. I've got a set of plans. I do not have the tapered transition/nose cone.

I guess what I'm presenting to the panel is: "Is this worth saving?" My thought was to scratch the remaining details, cut off the corregations and replace, if possible and lastly, try to find tube stock to extend the basic Atlas into perhaps an Atlas-Centaur or an Atlas II.

Suggestions? Ideas? or should I just throw it away as beyond saving .

blackshire
10-14-2010, 11:12 PM
If you like any of the Atlas ICBM variants, you've got the basic makins' for one there because any of the Atlas A through Atlas F ICBMs (including the Atlas B with a special low-drag nose cone that put itself into orbit in Project SCORE) would be easier to depict than any of the Atlas-Able, Atlas-Agena, Atlas-Burner II, or Atlas-Centaur launch vehicles.

MarkB.
10-15-2010, 07:17 AM
Well,

The hang up on this project is going to be getting more body tube, p/n 31525 Mercury Atlas Main Body Tube. Its an off size, 3.44 inches, which is apparently the same size as the old Centuri Little Joe II. BMS, Semroc, Totally and Uncle Mike don't have it listed. Anybody got a lead on this tube?

I like the idea of a SCORE or Atlas ICBM, but I'm leaning to an Atlas IIAS (ultimate Atlas) mostly because I just haven't sent Sandman enough money this year so another custom nose cone and transition should get him through Christmas.

Attached is what I started with. If you don't see it in the picture I didn't get it.

Scotty Dog
10-15-2010, 08:28 AM
I found one in a yard sale. Pretty must same thing. The build had been strated and the Vac-parts were all melted/deformed. I finished the build and put the paint and foil to it. Not so pretty But I do have an Atlas in my fleet and it does fly. Scotty Dog

GuyNoir
10-16-2010, 07:00 AM
but clearly was over his head on the vacuformed parts. In fact, it appears that the corregated wrap melted in some areas and is badly deformed. I am missing the short and long conduits and the fancy plastic LOX line but I think these are easily scratched out of balsa. I've got a set of plans. I do not have the tapered transition/nose cone.

I guess what I'm presenting to the panel is: "Is this worth saving?" My thought was to scratch the remaining details, cut off the corregations and replace, if possible and lastly, try to find tube stock to extend the basic Atlas into perhaps an Atlas-Centaur or an Atlas II.

Suggestions? Ideas? or should I just throw it away as beyond saving .

It's an Atlas. Of course it's worth saving!

You can fix the LOX line and other pipes with Evergreen or Plastruct tubing and save yourself the finishing time with balsa.

You can create your own corregations with cardstock by scoring it with a worn out ballpoint pen or butter knife. If you have a vacuform machine, or access to one, you can vacuform .020 or .010 sheet styrene over a master made from Evergreen corregated sheet (used in model railroading).

Whatever you do, for heavens sake, don't junk it!

dtomko
10-16-2010, 07:43 PM
Definitely a keeper. One possibility would be to make an Atlas Agena. I don't know what the Agena stage BT would work out to, but I'm sure you could find the dimensions and get a standard BT size that's close. Also, I'm sure Semroc has a cone that's close and can be finished with some sanding. Sticking with the Mercury is tougher because of the two transitions. The Agena has only one and you could do it with a paper transition.

Just my 2 cents.

Drew

K.M.Knox
10-16-2010, 08:08 PM
I was looking through the Quest catalog today and noticed the MLAS is listed as 3.46" in diameter. Not sure if this would be an option for that size tubing... Don't even know Quest sells it individually or not either.

blackshire
10-16-2010, 08:34 PM
Definitely a keeper. One possibility would be to make an Atlas Agena. I don't know what the Agena stage BT would work out to, but I'm sure you could find the dimensions and get a standard BT size that's close. Also, I'm sure Semroc has a cone that's close and can be finished with some sanding. Sticking with the Mercury is tougher because of the two transitions. The Agena has only one and you could do it with a paper transition.

Just my 2 cents.

DrewIf memory serves, the Agena was 5' in diameter, so 3.44"/2 would yield a diameter of 1.72" for a scale Agena to match the Atlas.

MarkB.
10-16-2010, 10:51 PM
You guys are great!

This morning, while watching my son's soccer games, and using my trusty Rockets of the World supplement, I computed I needed 21 inches of 3.44" additional tubing to do an Atlas IIAS. This bad boy ends up being over 50 inches tall!

An Atlas-Centaur is a little shorter (OK, a lot) but requiring the same amount of 3.44 tubing. An early Atlas-Centaur needs only a further 12 inches.

An Atlas-Agena B or D is a little easier as I would need only use a coupler to extend the BT-50 engine mount tube into the Agena area and build around this extension as a core for a paper transition and an Agena body.

SCORE or ICBM would be the same as an Agena: extend the engine mount and add a paper transition and a modified nose cone.

I am going to save this Atlas and I am going to contact Quest about that MLAS body tube.

I'd love to hear any other suggestions.

dtomko
10-17-2010, 06:42 AM
Mark,

A Semroc BT50C is close although it looks a tad short for the Agena nose.

By the way, love the play on words in your thread title :)

Drew