PDA

View Full Version : Centuri Bulldog Chute

jharding58
10-13-2010, 08:45 PM
Just finishing up the build on a clone of the Centuri Bulldog and I am looking for a camo chute. As it is Marine, everything has to be camo so I was wondering if anyone had seen a source for plastic chute material in camo? I found a plastic poncho with a perfect Euro 2 pattern, but it is just too heavy to use as a chute.

Scotty Dog
10-14-2010, 07:02 AM
Just finishing up the build on a clone of the Centuri Bulldog and I am looking for a camo chute. As it is Marine, everything has to be camo so I was wondering if anyone had seen a source for plastic chute material in camo? I found a plastic poncho with a perfect Euro 2 pattern, but it is just too heavy to use as a chute.Is that the one that had/has a Marine decal on it???? Scotty Dog

tbzep
10-14-2010, 07:57 AM
If the Bulldog had the same chute as the old Centuri Strike Force line (Gabriel, Sea Killer, Sam-3, Cruise Missile), the chute was just a generic camo pattern. I will try to remember to take a photo of one of the chutes for you....but you may have to remind me. :p

In the mean time, maybe you can find a camo chute on a plastic parachute man in a toy store.

jharding58
10-14-2010, 08:53 AM
Is that the one that had/has a Marine decal on it???? Scotty Dog

Yep. There have been a few exceptional versions of this model on the Forum. I just liked the nose fabrication and the Red and white conspicuity pattern. Centuri did a good job engineering it as well. As far as reference material I did find some 'operational' round colour scheme through Prime Portal. Got to love the museum's display.

foose4string
10-14-2010, 10:31 AM
It might be easier to find some nylon camo. I have some rip stop that I got on the $1 fabric rack at Walmart....when they still sold fabric. PM me if you want a piece.

tbzep
10-14-2010, 03:46 PM
Here is the 14" chute that came with the Strike Force series of rockets. I believe it is the same chute that the Bulldog had.

The only solid white is the center logo area. The chute attachment points have green dots (like newspaper halftone photos) over white to give it a light green appearance at a distance. The medium brown areas are just brown dots on the green background.

jharding58
10-14-2010, 03:54 PM
Thanks very much for the photo. I think that I can find a source through the toy car collectors. The original Dinky Mini Moke came with a camo chute and there are often replacements floating around. I picked up a couple of the dollar store amry men but the chute is too thin.

Bill
10-14-2010, 04:22 PM
A local army surplus store uses camo printed shopping bags. If you cannot find something suitable, let me know and I will go down there and buy something...

Bill

timorley
10-14-2010, 08:52 PM
There is an 18 inch nylon grey camo chute on eBay.

Edit: Here's a link to it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160487365120&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

blackshire
10-14-2010, 11:51 PM
Yep. There have been a few exceptional versions of this model on the Forum. I just liked the nose fabrication and the Red and white conspicuity pattern. Centuri did a good job engineering it as well. As far as reference material I did find some 'operational' round colour scheme through Prime Portal. Got to love the museum's display.Indeed! Also, what did the rest of that partly-obscured sign on the back wall ("Unless you shoot it, you...") say?

jharding58
10-15-2010, 01:13 AM
Indeed! Also, what did the rest of that partly-obscured sign on the back wall ("Unless you shoot it, you...") say?

I wish that I could tell you. The pictures are from the display at the Naval Museum of Armament & Technology at NAWS China Lake. Anyone in San Berdoo care to take a little trip?

dlazarus6660
10-15-2010, 12:32 PM
Have you tried this site?

http://www.rocketchutes.com/

blackshire
10-15-2010, 03:24 PM
I wish that I could tell you. The pictures are from the display at the Naval Museum of Armament & Technology at NAWS China Lake. Anyone in San Berdoo care to take a little trip?I've seen other pictures from that museum elsewhere on the internet, and they do have a very nice (and informative) collection that includes plenty of photographs of their rocket and missile artifacts' types in action. I also like the fact that they aren't half-hearted about presenting the artifacts as what they are--weapons.

jharding58
10-15-2010, 10:31 PM
The complete phrase is, "Until you shoot it, you just don't know...."
Note that the header is above the wall that discusses the Sidewinder history in the area of test and evaluation, and particularly telemetry devices which were pioneered at China Lake. So, you might say the phase is a restatement of the old adage - "The proof is in pudding", and for all the simulation lab results, static firings, etc. - live firings are still required.
Best wishes, Paul Homer, China Lake Museum Foundation

blackshire
10-16-2010, 12:45 AM
Thank you for asking Mr. Homer and for posting his reply!

That could also be the motto of the NAR R & D (Research & Development) contest category.

jetlag
10-16-2010, 10:30 AM
The complete phrase is, "Until you shoot it, you just don't know...."
Note that the header is above the wall that discusses the Sidewinder history in the area of test and evaluation, and particularly telemetry devices which were pioneered at China Lake. So, you might say the phase is a restatement of the old adage - "The proof is in pudding", and for all the simulation lab results, static firings, etc. - live firings are still required.
Best wishes, Paul Homer, China Lake Museum Foundation

Yes. When first introduced and carried on the fighters, many rounds were duds. I wonder how many enemy pilots' lives were saved by the initial failures of this air-to-air missile. Some never lit when they came off the rails; some were fired in too high a 'G' load; some just never exploded.
Thank goodness the problems got worked out.
Allen

jharding58
10-16-2010, 11:38 AM
Yes. When first introduced and carried on the fighters, many rounds were duds. I wonder how many enemy pilots' lives were saved by the initial failures of this air-to-air missile. Some never lit when they came off the rails; some were fired in too high a 'G' load; some just never exploded.
Thank goodness the problems got worked out.
Allen

Back in the bad old days my Father worked in Valcartier Canada on Velvet Glove. He used to tell many stories of walking out to a hot round sitting on the rail of a Sabre to recover a recalcitrant missile.