PDA

View Full Version : 3X upscale BT55AO

MarkB.
07-28-2010, 07:05 AM
Does anybody have a web address for Ace nose cones? I'm looking for a 3X upscale BT55AO nose cone to fit LOC 3.9 tubing making the nose exactly 15" long.

Anyone?

Bueller?

(sound of crickets chirping)

jetlag
07-28-2010, 07:56 AM
Sandman!

http://towrowrow.tripod.com/excelsiorrocketry/id43.html

sandman
07-28-2010, 08:10 AM
I've made them before.

Balsa or basswood. Your choice.

5x7
07-28-2010, 06:17 PM
Does anybody have a web address for Ace nose cones? I'm looking for a 3X upscale BT55AO nose cone to fit LOC 3.9 tubing making the nose exactly 15" long.

Anyone?

Bueller?

(sound of crickets chirping)

I lost one two years ago and scoured online vendors and made calls to try to get a replacement, I don't think they are made anymore. Someone found mine a couple of launches later. Whew!

tbzep
07-28-2010, 06:27 PM
From my recollections, 5x7 is correct. Ace Rocketry was Korey Kline's company and as far as I know, has been out of business for several years. I don't think anybody else got the mold and produced them.

For what it's worth, Sandman's nosecone will be much more accurate for the BNC/PNC-55AO Than the ACE nose cone. The ACE cone and all the other 3.9" cones that are about the right length are too pointy.

I did use ACE cones back in the 90's to build a Goblin (BNC-55A0) upscale, a Red Max (PNC-60AH) upscale, and a Cherokee-D (BNC-55AC) upscale. They looked ok, but an accurate profile would have looked much better, especially on the Red Max. It looked best on the Cherokee-D upscale.

5x7
07-28-2010, 08:43 PM
I got ACE cones in both Cluster-R and North Coast 4" kits in the mid 90's, but I have not seen them since both companies folded.

Gotta love the bottle cap!

tbzep
07-28-2010, 09:05 PM
I got ACE cones in both Cluster-R and North Coast 4" kits in the mid 90's, but I have not seen them since both companies folded.

Yep....and it's a common thread size too!

As far as I know, Korey Kline is completely out of rocketry. I believe he sold Hypertek to CTI a few years ago. I haven't heard his name mentioned in a long time, but I don't do HPR anymore and don't really keep up with the folks involved in it or the companies.

I still have my upscales with their ACE cones stored away just in case I decide someday to fly HPR again.

Royatl
07-28-2010, 11:31 PM
I got three ACE cones on eBay a couple of years ago (and I'm hanging on to them) I've got three others in use, and somewhere I think I have an extra North Coast By Estes equivalent (but of course that's being held as a just-in-case spare part).

You might ask around for that Estes part as well.

jdbectec
07-29-2010, 07:28 AM

The Aerotech G-Force kit uses the Ace nose cone, the Sumo uses a heavier cone, my guess is Aerotech owns the mold. Both cones are listed on their available parts in their catalog.