PDA

View Full Version : I guess 'Black Holes' is a racist term at its core?!

Cohetero-negro
07-20-2010, 02:16 PM
Well,

I know this is old news by about a month but I felt that some of you might find it interesting and as an educated warning so you don't lose your jobs or get sued for racist insensitive statements (of couse I can use any word I want can call it culturalism... even make a rap song).

The issue is over Yo-Yo and Hoops:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_a3Ud-BDr5zY/SM5iCvjoV5I/AAAAAAAABBA/9-jfCTCAnNY/s400/hyy_stripes.gif

Now I love Yo-yo and Hoops (Pink Cat and Green Bunny). I give their e-cards to my wife, daughter, and grandkids all the time.

During the 2010 Graduation period, Hallmark released an audio card with the crazy sounds of Yo-yo and Hoops encouraging confidence to the graduate. It was a very funny card and told the listener that they were 'more powerful than a black hole'.

Black Holes are indeed very powerful. If I remember by college studies correctly, they start off as stars with 10 solar masses, then start to contract due to their mass. One of two things happen, they contract until the nuclear forces become so great that they detonate -Super Nova. In very rare occurances, they continute to shrink and shrink and shrink until you reach a point of singularity ... Black Hole: You have various size holes based on their starting mass and any nearby stars they can feed off of. They can grow and grow and some believe they are what galaxies have at their centers. So it would make sense to claim that black holes are powerful ... they really are! But that isn't what some would think.

http://orbitingfrog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/falling_into_a_black_hole.jpg

OK we all have a feel for Black Holes but did you know that Black Holes are also a racist/sexist term? Yes, I bet you woke up today not even knowing that ... well the Los Angeles Chapter of the NAACP knew this, so what is your problem?!

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/los_angeles&id=7475737

Folks, let me say this and make if very clear and official:

These fellow blacks (African Americans) of mine EMBARRAS the hell out of me. I can't believe that people can be so 'F'ing stupid. Look, please understand, I am no where like them. I enjoy all of America. I don't look for evil under every rock and behind every bush. There is good and evil on the planet. It comes in all shapes, sizes and colors.

Its sad that these same self-appointed leaders of mine, won't go after black rappers who rhyme hoe and go and moe and cloe and trigger with $*%%@# ... you know what I mean ... its sad and really embarrassing and the REAL racists just sit back and laugh and me and them ... I wish there was some way of separating myself from them but that would involve the 'Michael Jackson' treatment and I already look too much like a freak to go any further.

So I better not hear, 'Black Hole', from any of you or you will be sorry!

Jonathan

P.s. No 'Brown Holes' or 'White Holes' either ... even though they also exist.

jetlag
07-20-2010, 02:25 PM
It often seems that when one cannot respond to an argument intelligently or a simple disagreement intelligently, the cry is racist. Evidently, the term is used as much to finish an argument as to solve one. For example, if you disagree with the President's policy(ies), you are a racist.
What a load of 'canine fecal matter' to quote a great poster here.
Allen

ghrocketman
07-20-2010, 02:32 PM
HAAAAAAAAYYY NOWWWWWW !!!!

Allen,
"Canine Fecal Matter", ESPECIALLY when it hits the "Rotating Machinery" was patented and "trade-markt" a week from last thursday. :chuckle:

Did you get your proper licensing documunts ?

Nyuk, yuk, yuk ! :D

jetlag
07-20-2010, 02:37 PM
GH, it seemed to help the argument nicely! I hope you can grant a temporary licensure just this once!
If you can't, why.........you're a Racist!!!
Jonathan is right on!
Allen

PS: Do Giant Black Holes make an equally giant sucking sound? :rolleyes:

ghrocketman
07-20-2010, 03:17 PM
License granted to all on forum ! :chuckle:
Actually thought it was hilarious to see someone else use that phrase, which is simply a nicer way to say Dawg-$chlitz. :p

Notice it was not trade-markt until a week from last Thursday which is the DAY AFTER TOMORROW !!! :)

Bill
07-20-2010, 04:33 PM
The issue is over Yo-Yo and Hoops:

Oh, I thought you were going to write about playing with a Duncan while doing the hula dance with multiple giant plastic rings around the waist...different generation...

Before we know it, we will have to refer to them at end-of-life as blue little stars.

Bill

Bill
07-20-2010, 04:35 PM
PS: Do Giant Black Holes make an equally giant sucking sound? :rolleyes:

To abuse a quote, In space, no one can hear them suck.

shrox
07-20-2010, 05:27 PM
Fanny pack

shrox
07-21-2010, 07:23 PM
Fanny pack

No one caught this!? It's pretty funny...you don't want to say it in Europe.

blackshire
07-21-2010, 09:45 PM
-SNIP-These fellow blacks (African Americans) of mine EMBARRAS the hell out of me. I can't believe that people can be so 'F'ing stupid. Look, please understand, I am no where like them. I enjoy all of America. I don't look for evil under every rock and behind every bush. There is good and evil on the planet. It comes in all shapes, sizes and colors.Being part Caribbean Black myself (Cayman Islander--in descending "relative abundance" part English, Irish, Portuguese, indigenous Indian [the Carib Indian tribe], and Caribbean Black), I have never condoned the anti-White bias of so many American Blacks. (Indeed, many of them don't get along well with Caribbean Blacks such as Caymanians, Bahamians, and Jamaicans because they generally have no problems with White people [a lot of them have White relatives], and many American Blacks resent the Caribbean Blacks' lack of "solidarity against whitey.")P.s. No 'Brown Holes' or 'White Holes' either ... even though they also exist.Not to mention "Brown Dwarfs" ("failed" stars without enough mass to initiate hydrogen fusion)--if they were mentioned on a greeting card, it might be taken in some quarters as an insult against Emanuel Lewis, Rodney Allen Ripley, and the late Gary Coleman! :-)

shrox
07-21-2010, 09:53 PM
Being part Caribbean Black myself (Cayman Islander--in descending "relative abundance" part English, Irish, Portuguese, indigenous Indian [the Carib Indian tribe], and Caribbean Black), I have never condoned the anti-White bias of so many American Blacks. (Indeed, many of them don't get along well with Caribbean Blacks such as Caymanians, Bahamians, and Jamaicans because they generally have no problems with White people [a lot of them have White relatives], and many American Blacks resent the Caribbean Blacks' lack of "solidarity against whitey.")Not to mention "Brown Dwarfs" ("failed" stars without enough mass to initiate hydrogen fusion)--if they were mentioned on a greeting card, it might be taken in some quarters as an insult against Emanuel Lewis, Rodney Allen Ripley, and the late Gary Coleman! :-)

I am so cracker I am practically a saltine. Oh, to be at least a Wheat Thin...

blackshire
07-21-2010, 10:00 PM
No one caught this!? It's pretty funny...you don't want to say it in Europe.Yes, English itself can be funny if unintentionally "misused" by a non-native speaker or even by a native speaker who speaks a different dialect. When I worked at the Miami Space Transit Planetarium, a British tourist once asked me if he could "nick a fag" (bum a cigarette, as an American would say). I replied, "If you can find one, and he doesn't mind you doing that, I have no objections." He stared at me for a few seconds, not knowing whether or not he should have been offended, and then burst out laughing when he suddenly realized what I'd said. (OBLIGATORY DISCLAIMER: I meant no offense to homosexuals by making this remark; how could I, when my boss there was gay?) :-) I was simply interested in seeing how far Americans and Britishers have become "divided by a common language."

blackshire
07-21-2010, 10:09 PM
I am so cracker I am practically a saltine. Oh, to be at least a Wheat Thin...You're in good company! Being originally from Florida makes me a "Florida Cracker" (and folks from Georgia are called "Georgia Crackers," just as people from Indiana are called "Hoosiers"), irrespective of race(s).

It's hilarious how racial terms can be applied. For example, I look as white as you, yet many of the kids where I went to high school in the mountains of northern Georgia called *all* Floridians (white, black, or miscellaneous) "sand niggers." So depending on one's state of origin, a white person can be a "nigger" and a black person can be a "cracker." :-)

mycrofte
07-22-2010, 03:42 AM
I think they are just getting desperate to find something. The NAACP hasn't been in the news much and need something to keep the funds coming in.

So, in order to be totally equal, if blacks have to be called African-American, I should be referred to as Scottish-American from now on!

blackshire
07-22-2010, 05:01 AM
I think they are just getting desperate to find something. The NAACP hasn't been in the news much and need something to keep the funds coming in.

So, in order to be totally equal, if blacks have to be called African-American, I should be referred to as Scottish-American from now on!How about Hibernian-American? :-)

I love it when White South African immigrants to the USA refer to themselves (quite properly within this nomenclature context, although I wish there were no "hyphenated-Americans") as African-Americans, because it gives the Jesse Jacksons and Al Sharptons fits. :-)

I was heartened by an interview of an older Black man in Kenya that I saw several years ago, when Dr. Richard Leakey (a White Kenyan and a paleontologist) was considering running for President of Kenya. When the reporter asked him why he wanted to vote for a White man to lead a Black African nation, the older Black man retorted, "Richard Leakey is as Kenyan as I am!"

STRMan
07-22-2010, 06:29 AM
I still can't believe David Howard resigned because of all the media frenzy when he used the word "niggardly". The people reporting this story are supposed to be journalist that know how to properly use the English language. This word was used absolutely appropriately, with no racial bias indicated. That didn't stop them from whipping it up into something it just was not, like the term "black hole".

I don't care who gets their teeth into it, journalism is not about "just the facts mam" anymore. It is about sensationalism. Many times, a story is good enough on it's own merits, but I've seen the "reporter" ham it up in front of the camera, even throwing out innuendo and supposition that had NO basis in fact, just to try to give a dramatic twist to their story. These are stories I've been directly involved in. I've even overheard one reporter talking with his camera man before shooting, saying something like "I'll just toss out BLAH BLAH BLAH to tag the story to give it a little more spice" when there was NO INDICATION his tag line had any basis in fact.

I'll come aboard. I insist I be referred to as a Polish-Sicilian-American in these parts from now on. ;)

My 17 year old son has autism. He doesn't conceive of all these issues. He is completely innocent and pure and he just tells it like it is. My Sicilian heritage has taken a fore front in my pigmentation. When you ask him what color skin his mother, his sister, or he has he says "pink". When you ask him what color skin Daddy has, he says "brown". Just telling it like it is.

blackshire
07-22-2010, 07:11 AM
I still can't believe David Howard resigned because of all the media frenzy when he used the word "niggardly". The people reporting this story are supposed to be journalist that know how to properly use the English language. This word was used absolutely appropriately, with no racial bias indicated. That didn't stop them from whipping it up into something it just was not, like the term "black hole".Several years ago Don Webb, a Miami television personality and radio talk show host, had Muhammed Ali on his "Something on 17" live interview TV show on that UHF station. Mr. Ali was almost asleep due to the effects of his Parkinsons' disease, and Don feared he would "lose" him to slumber right there on live television, so he said: "Mr. Ali, I understand that you're a rather niggardly person." *That* brought him to full wakefulness instantly, and he asked Don, "What did you call me?" :-)I don't care who gets their teeth into it, journalism is not about "just the facts mam" anymore. It is about sensationalism. Many times, a story is good enough on it's own merits, but I've seen the "reporter" ham it up in front of the camera, even throwing out innuendo and supposition that had NO basis in fact, just to try to give a dramatic twist to their story. These are stories I've been directly involved in. I've even overheard one reporter talking with his camera man before shooting, saying something like "I'll just toss out BLAH BLAH BLAH to tag the story to give it a little more spice" when there was NO INDICATION his tag line had any basis in fact.The story that broke this week (about the many print and broadcast journalists on the listserv who conspired to bury the Reverend Jeremiah Wright story during the 2008 presidential election campaign) did not surprise me. I had long suspected that things like this go on in journalism, particularly since journalism students are commonly indoctrinated to "make a difference in the world." Uh, no--the job of a journalist is to find out the "who, what, when, where, why, and how" of a news event and report it to the public...period.I'll come aboard. I insist I be referred to as a Polish-Sicilian-American in these parts from now on. ;)Do you *really* want to risk being confused with a Public Service Announcement? :-)My 17 year old son has autism. He doesn't conceive of all these issues. He is completely innocent and pure and he just tells it like it is. My Sicilian heritage has taken a fore front in my pigmentation. When you ask him what color skin his mother, his sister, or he has he says "pink". When you ask him what color skin Daddy has, he says "brown". Just telling it like it is.A thought: You could teach him the color temperature (in degrees Kelvin) scale that electronic technicians use for adjusting and servicing computer monitors and television sets. Everyone's race (as determined by visual inspection of skin color) could be reduced to a number. As this is just the type of information that the "detail-devouring" autistic mind can retain and manipulate as easily as a computer can, he could disarm anyone who tried to put forth a racist screed in his presence!