PDA

View Full Version : Solar Sailor and Solar Sailor II

Kidagain
04-09-2010, 02:29 PM
Why did Estes make a Solar Sailor II after making the original Solar Sailor???

ghrocketman
04-09-2010, 02:49 PM
I have no idea as I'm pretty sure the FIRST one was never very popular.
I have NEVER heard anyone list that one as their all-time favorite or even in their top three favorite rockets.

rokitflite
04-09-2010, 09:22 PM

Actually it was the Solar Sailer and Solar Sailer II... Solar Sailors would be what you would call the crew :D .

AstronMike
04-09-2010, 10:12 PM

The original Solar Sailer, #1297, from back in the late 70s was a cool enough model, but seemed way too lanky, therefore pretty much drowning out its detailing and overall scheme.

The Solar Sailer II, which came out around 91, looks very much more correct lengthwise, and upscaling THIS version to a BT60 main tube/55 midtube just looks very well, especially if you match the red/white/black motif. You can even make one of these using a full length paper towel roll for the lower section, and two full rolls for the upper one, and use a Bt55 to make the midsection. Add the Baby/Big Bertha nose cone, and it is really close to scale.

Also hated that huge but crinkly chute on the original. Hard to pack, harder to unfurl, especially if you forgot to repack it before flight. The second versions 'plasticy' version may not be chromy enough but looked well enough.

One of the very few nonglider 3FNC rockets I actually liked......

AstronMike
04-09-2010, 10:17 PM
Actually it was the Solar Sailer and Solar Sailer II... Solar Sailors would be what you would call the crew :D .

Funny you mention this. Years ago, I actually used the real Solar Sail chute along with red pants, white shirt, and black/red other stuff for a *Halloween Costume* and went as, you guessed it, a real Solar Sailor! While I looked pretty dorky in this get up, I thought it was cool, but no one 'got it', even after I explained the rocketry connection (everyone is too used to AstronMike=large nonstandard gliders).

Of course, I wouldnt want to see anyone big try to replicate that costume!! Stretchy pants, tight shirt, gaudy belt and visor, and the Solar Sail chute as part of the chrome cape......

Cant believe I actually walked around my job like that when they allowed you to wear costumes.......oh well, at least I didnt wear the *real* AstronMike armor and accessories!!

brianc
04-09-2010, 10:23 PM
The Solar Sailer II, which came out around 91, looks very much more correct lengthwise, and upscaling THIS version to a BT60 main tube/55 midtube just looks very well, especially if you match the red/white/black motif.
Downscaling to BT-5 doesn't look too bad either...

http://www.rocketryforumarchive.com/showthread.php?p=211002#post211002

:D

CaninoBD
04-10-2010, 08:28 PM
... Solar Sailors would be what you would call the crew :D .

Would they be Solar Sailors Moon?

rokitflite
04-10-2010, 09:05 PM
Would they be Solar Sailors Moon?

They would be if they all pulled down their pants and pressed their cheeks against the portals as your ship went past...

Kidagain
04-11-2010, 01:00 AM
ok ok boys. lets not hijack and go a crazy direction here. Thanks

Mark II
04-11-2010, 01:37 AM
They would be if they all pulled down their pants and pressed their cheeks against the portals as your ship went past...Hey Sailor!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_zWvY-eLaskk/Sl48pE2ADfI/AAAAAAAAACY/JdOs1Lz60lQ/s320/Battlestation_Midway_pin_up_2_by_henning.jpg

MK

Kidagain
04-11-2010, 11:12 AM
Ok.. I can deal with that.. NIIICCEEE....

Green Dragon
04-11-2010, 01:54 PM
Actually, the original Solar Sailer is one I DO fondly remember, as it;s the ONLY rocket kit I ever got for Christmas ( from my aunt ) .

still working on a clone, using viontage chute I scored on ebay a few years back .

As for the II, bought that when it came out, and also have a nice BT80 sized upscale built, but needs paint ( flew once nicely, to prove it works :) .

pics someday ;)

~ AL

jeffyjeep
04-11-2010, 02:30 PM
............and Gordy has decals for both.

Kidagain
04-18-2011, 12:19 PM
Just a follow Up all. I finally scored Solar Sailer and Solar Sailer II on Ebay over the winter. Now its time for building. Thanks for all the input and ribbing. :chuckle: