PDA

View Full Version : SIG Sanding Sealer

LeeR
04-02-2010, 06:57 PM
Can anyone tell me what can be used to thin SIG Sanding Sealer? I've run out of most of my solvents, other than simple mineral spirits, and so rather than going and buying several types, I thought I'd call upon the expertise here.

jeffyjeep
04-02-2010, 07:57 PM
I usually use Aerogloss sanding sealer, but when I DO use SIG, I thin it with SIG sanding sealer thinner.

BEC
04-02-2010, 08:07 PM
Unless it's changed recently, it's butyrate dope-based, so you'd need dope thinner I would think.....

LeeR
04-02-2010, 10:46 PM
Thanks, I was kind of afraid of this... hate to pay $5+ for a little bottle of SIG thinner, but I may not have a choice.

jeffyjeep
04-02-2010, 11:00 PM
The thinner is pricey, but a little goes a LONG way. Jeff

o1d_dude
04-02-2010, 11:43 PM
My experiences with the Sig Sanding Sealer inspired me to try Aerogloss and I haven't looked back.

Lucky for me one of the LHS's stocks Aerogloss Sanding Sealer, Filler, AND Thinner.

jeffyjeep
04-02-2010, 11:51 PM
Agreed. I much prefer Aerogloss. It applies more smoothly and causes FAR more vivid hallucinations.

JumpJet
04-03-2010, 12:44 AM
My local Hobby Lobby carries the thinner so try looking at yours and don't forget to bring a 40% off coupon.

John Boren
www.johnboren.com

LeeR
04-03-2010, 01:40 AM
I agree about the AeroGloss. But I'll take John's advice, and check for the thinner at HL. I bought the SIG stuff there with the 40% coupon, since it made it pretty reasonably priced. Hopefully it will apply more uniformly if thinned.

stantonjtroy
04-03-2010, 12:00 PM
To answer your question about thinning the SIG sealer; In a pinch Butaine Lighter fluid (ZIPPO fluid) will work. FWIW

Pem Tech
04-03-2010, 09:21 PM
To answer your question about thinning the SIG sealer; In a pinch Butaine Lighter fluid (ZIPPO fluid) will work. FWIW

Did you mean liquid lighter fluid? Here is a link to a safety data sheet. (http://lojadoszippos.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Ficha-de-Segurança-flu%C3%ADdo.pdf)

Contents:
Name CAS No Content %
Xylene 1330 – 20 – 7 1 –5
Propylbenzene 98 – 82 – 8 0 – 1
n-heptane 142 – 82 – 5 10 – 30
mesitylene 108 – 67 – 8 0 – 1
1,2,4-trimethylbenzene 95 – 63 – 6 0 – 1
n-hexane 110 – 54 – 3 1 - 5

Butane is a gas at room temperature and pressure.
:)

stantonjtroy
04-03-2010, 10:25 PM
Yes, I do indeed mean liquid lighter fluid. I've seen the MSDS and know what's in it. I do advanced finish work for a defence contractor and we use it from time to time for this (and other ) purpose.

GregGleason
04-04-2010, 12:25 PM
I do advanced finish work for a defence contractor ...

Troy,

Out of curiosity what is "advanced finish work", or is it something you shouldn't discuss?

Greg

ghrocketman
04-04-2010, 02:51 PM
Thin it with toluene or acetone from any hardware store if you cannot get Sig or Aero Gloss Dope thinner. I know you can get the Sig thinner at any Hobby Lobby store in jars.
If you choose Toluene (Toluol) or Acetone, if you want it to dry slower, use Toluene. If you want it to dry faster, use Acetone. Do NOT, I REPEAT, do NOT use hardware store lacquer thinner. It will NOT work for any dope but clear and will make a gummy mess of Sanding Sealer, due to the methanol content of "hardware store" lacquer thinner. One however CAN use lacquer thinner from any AUTOMOTIVE paint store. That stuff is basically dope thinner, but I doubt you can get it in less than a quart.

stantonjtroy
04-04-2010, 06:19 PM
Troy,

Out of curiosity what is "advanced finish work", or is it something you shouldn't discuss?

Greg

Rain Erosion, High temp Aplaitives, RAM, CARC, ect. Applied to composite structure, radome and antenna systems for most of the militarys fighter, bomber and transport and UAV aircraft worldwide; A number of the space boosters and sounding rockets and an increasing number of land and naval systems. As well as shooting Pigmented Polyehester Resin, Epoxy bases and good ol Polly Urethanes. We're currently working with DOD on getting Mil-Spec on UV Curable powder coats over non metalic substrates. It's awsome stuff. I love my job :D .

GregGleason
04-04-2010, 09:11 PM
Rain Erosion, High temp Aplaitives, RAM, CARC, ect. Applied to composite structure, radome and antenna systems for most of the militarys fighter, bomber and transport and UAV aircraft worldwide; A number of the space boosters and sounding rockets and an increasing number of land and naval systems. As well as shooting Pigmented Polyehester Resin, Epoxy bases and good ol Polly Urethanes. We're currently working with DOD on getting Mil-Spec on UV Curable powder coats over non metalic substrates. It's awsome stuff. I love my job :D .

Oh, so that's what you mean by "advanced finish work". It sounds like it's very cutting edge stuff, kind of like the "A" part in DARPA. :chuckle:

What a cool thing to be doing!

[Long pause]

I assume that the next thing you are going to say is that you actually get paid to do this kind of work.

:)

LeeR
04-04-2010, 10:33 PM
Thin it with toluene or acetone from any hardware store if you cannot get Sig or Aero Gloss Dope thinner. I know you can get the Sig thinner at any Hobby Lobby store in jars.
If you choose Toluene (Toluol) or Acetone, if you want it to dry slower, use Toluene. If you want it to dry faster, use Acetone. Do NOT, I REPEAT, do NOT use hardware store lacquer thinner. It will NOT work for any dope but clear and will make a gummy mess of Sanding Sealer, due to the methanol content of "hardware store" lacquer thinner. One however CAN use lacquer thinner from any AUTOMOTIVE paint store. That stuff is basically dope thinner, but I doubt you can get it in less than a quart.

gh,

I did have acetone in my shop, and thinned the sanding sealer last night, and gave a piece of balsa a test sealing. Worked fine, and the sanding sealer in the sample bottle looked fine this morning. I just read your reply, thanks for the suggestions and confirmation. And I'm glad to hear that toluene works, as well.

I didn't realize lacquer thinner from an automotive paint store was different, so I may check that out, since I'm out of lacquer thinner. I usually buy a gallon, so a quart from the automotive paint store sounds like the way to go, even if more expensive than the big box stores.

ghrocketman
04-06-2010, 10:12 AM
Glad to help !
Xylene (Xylol), straight MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone), and straight MIBK (Methyl IsoButyl Ketone) will all thin Butyrate and Nitrate Dope as well.
All of those are in-between Acetone (Fastest) and Toluene (slowest) drying speed.
Actual Dope thinner is primarily a mix of 30% Toluene, 30% MEK, 30% MIBK, 8% Acetone and ~2% Ethyl Acetate.
If thinning Color Dopes for topcoating, do not use straight Acetone to thin colors unless the climate is cold (55F or less) and dry; otherwise the dope will "blush" with a milky haze of trapped water in the finish due to too fast drying.

BEC
04-07-2010, 01:28 AM
This is really handy info. Thanks!

tbzep
04-07-2010, 07:19 AM
Glad to help !
Xylene (Xylol), straight MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone), and straight MIBK (Methyl IsoButyl Ketone) will all thin Butyrate and Nitrate Dope as well.
All of those are in-between Acetone (Fastest) and Toluene (slowest) drying speed.
Actual Dope thinner is primarily a mix of 30% Toluene, 30% MEK, 30% MIBK, 8% Acetone and ~2% Ethyl Acetate.
If thinning Color Dopes for topcoating, do not use straight Acetone to thin colors unless the climate is cold (55F or less) and dry; otherwise the dope will "blush" with a milky haze of trapped water in the finish due to too fast drying.

As a certain someone used to say on r.m.r., "that should be in the F.A.Q." (Even though we don't get questions about dope every day.) :cool:

ghrocketman
04-07-2010, 08:45 AM
Butyrate dope is my preferred finishing method, thusly I have a working knowledge base of what you can/cannot do with dope. If anyone is interested, check out Brodak's website. They have FAR more colors than was ever offered by the Pactra Aero Gloss line or the Sig line. Prices decent too !