PDA

View Full Version : Der Red Max red paint

bobdros
04-01-2010, 07:43 AM
I just got a Big Daddy and will order the decals for Der Grosser Vati. I want to paint it the color you see on the kit but I'm not sure what shade of red it is. I looked at Krylon and Rustoleum on the web and didn't see something close. Any ideas?

InFlight
04-01-2010, 08:15 AM
I always used the Testors Gloss Red, I would give you the number on the can but I don't have any right now. :(

rokitflite
04-01-2010, 08:27 AM
Tes 1203...

bobdros
04-01-2010, 08:30 AM
Testors it is then! Thanks!

tbzep
04-01-2010, 10:15 AM
I have painted several Red Max kits over the years with everything from dark brick reds to the brightest of bright reds. My favorite is Testor's/Model Masters Italian Red. It's stunning out in the sunlight. On top of its great looks it is a lacquer paint so it smells good, is easy to apply, and dries fast. :cool:

The next best reds for me are Rustoleum Chinese Red lacquer and Valspar cherry red enamel. They aren't quite as brilliant as the Testor's Italian Red, but they are close and they cost about the same as the tiny Testor's can.

jeffyjeep
04-01-2010, 04:41 PM
My favorite is Rustoleum Painter's Touch Gloss Apple Red over Rustoleum Painter's Touch Red Primer for the Der Red Max and the Der Grosser Vati. Jeff

A Fish Named Wallyum
04-01-2010, 10:41 PM
Up until the DGV, all of my DRM models were painted with Valspar Cherry Red Gloss. For the DGV, I went with Testor's Candy Apple Red over silver. It's a bit darker than your everyday DRM, but I like the way it turned out. I've been meaning to post pics, but I've been down with some kind of sinus issue for the past week. Probably a tumor.

tsai
04-01-2010, 11:50 PM
I used Krylon Banner Red.

AFlyingMonkey
04-02-2010, 07:11 AM
My favorite is Rustoleum Painter's Touch Gloss Apple Red over Rustoleum Painter's Touch Red Primer for the Der Red Max and the Der Grosser Vati. Jeff

Agreed. The best red paint on the market IMO!

tbzep
04-02-2010, 08:18 AM
but I've been down with some kind of sinus issue for the past week. Probably a tumor.

It's not a tuuu-ma!

http://www.newhealthbasics.com/Art/Arnold-Kindergarten-Cop-230.jpg

o1d_dude
04-02-2010, 11:46 PM
What tbzep said about the Italian Red. I've used other reds but they are not quite the same as the Testor's (Model Masters) Italian Red.

AFlyingMonkey
04-05-2010, 10:25 PM
Here's a model i've got masked off using Painter's Touch Candy Apple Red. Best red I've ever seen. This rocket is an extended Fatboy, with rear ejection recovery. Not quite finished yet, but I plan to do the unveiling at Youri's Night up at HMS Beagle this weekend. If your ever in the KC area drop on by, let me know. I have a spare bedroom here and we'll go launch that weekend. I'm sure my rocket club boys and I will be more than ready to show you around here in KC.

bobdros
04-06-2010, 12:00 PM
So many choices! I went that same day that I got respones and got the Testors 1203. I'll have to see how it turns out...

Anyone have some pictures of how their DRM or DVG turned out?

mn-rocketry
04-08-2010, 11:43 PM
My Der Grosser Vati "prototype", as shown on Excelsior's web page, was painted using Rustoleum Regal Red over Plastikote light gray primer.

Since I developed that decal design and gave it to Phred, I've been curious if he (and now Gordon) actually sold many of them...

Alan

bobdros
04-12-2010, 09:30 AM
I'm looking forward to getting the decals! I really like the color that you used so now I'm thinking about getting the color you used. (Or else build another one...)

sandman
04-12-2010, 10:51 AM
My Der Grosser Vati "prototype", as shown on Excelsior's web page, was painted using Rustoleum Regal Red over Plastikote light gray primer.

Since I developed that decal design and gave it to Phred, I've been curious if he (and now Gordon) actually sold many of them...

Alan

Alan...I've sold a BUTTLOAD of them. (that's a lot!)

Every time I print one for myself I seem to sell it.

I may just be stuck with a plain red Big Daddy. :(

A very very popular decal!

mn-rocketry
04-12-2010, 05:30 PM
Alan...I've sold a BUTTLOAD of them. (that's a lot!)
A very very popular decal!

Glad to hear that it's worked out well!

Attached is a photo of my Der Goony Max, Der Grosser Vati, and Der Big Red Max. All of them, of course, sporting Excelsior decals.

Alan

Rocket Doctor
04-12-2010, 06:00 PM
If I remember this correctly, on the original instructions, it's not red paint but orange. Check out some original instructions and refresh my memory on this one.

rokitflite
04-12-2010, 06:44 PM
If I remember this correctly, on the original instructions, it's not red paint but orange. Check out some original instructions and refresh my memory on this one.

Yes, the original RM instructions say to paint it orange. I did that with one of mine.

LeeR
04-12-2010, 07:58 PM
Yes, the original RM instructions say to paint it orange. I did that with one of mine.

I am building the Semroc Mars Lander currently. The instructions say to paint the landing gear

"International Orange (or red)".

I am not sure I've ever seen one with orange gear. I assume the Estes version had similar instructions (OK, I'm too lazy to verify). But, I am considering doing my build with the gear in orange, and maybe the body in light gray, just to be different.

My Outlander is done light gray and flat red, with Mars Lander style decals., and not the dark blue and silver depicted in the kit, (with cheesy adhesive decals, as I recall). Sometimes I am a stickler to build something exactly as the original, and at other times, not the least bit inclined ...

Mikus
04-13-2010, 01:12 PM

I bought one. :)

I got a Mini Max and a DRM last month and the next time I see the convergence of a HL 40% coupon and a BD on the shelf... well the family will be ready to build. ;)

bobdros
04-26-2010, 11:38 AM
I painted two light codes of the Testors and it looks pretty flat. Will a few more coats be glossy? I'd like a gloss finish so should I put the DGV decals on before or after a gloss coat (if it needs it)?

There was a thread on silvering that said that a gloss coat should be put on before the decals. Is that right?

Blushingmule
04-26-2010, 08:27 PM
As a rule, one needs a gloss coat before decals will conform and have the clear film disappear.

Otherwise the decal film does not settle into the hills and valleys of flat/semi-gloss paint. The gloss fills in the rough and allows the decal to appear as paint. Take a look at the current work of skilled plastic modelers...looks painted or better!

Also, decal setting solutions are basically of 2 types used one after the other; 1st a setting solution (wetting agent) which allows pushing and prodding of said decal and then a "burner" in order to melt the decal into, over, and around the surface.

Judging by the smells, one is acetic acid based and the other is alcohol based. The common commercial stuff is Micro-Set and Micro-Sol.

Finish with gloss, semi, or flat after as desired.

Bob

LeeR
04-26-2010, 08:35 PM
I painted two light codes of the Testors and it looks pretty flat. Will a few more coats be glossy? I'd like a gloss finish so should I put the DGV decals on before or after a gloss coat (if it needs it)?

There was a thread on silvering that said that a gloss coat should be put on before the decals. Is that right?

Some colors are only available flat, yet you might want decals. A good example are camo colors like olive drab, flat earth, etc.. I clear coat with Krylon Gloss Clearcoat, put on decals, and then use Krylon Flat. Look for the UV-Resistant formula, which is called out in the name. I have never had compatibility issues with these. I've used them on enamels and lacquers, and also I've never had a problem with them ruining decals.

Initiator001
04-27-2010, 12:12 AM
The timing of this thread could not have been better for me. :)

Rokitflite knows his paint colors. Thanks, Scott.

Here's a couple of new 'friends' I just finished. :D

Bob

bobdros
04-27-2010, 06:09 AM
Thanks so much! I'll give it a shot!

foose4string
05-03-2010, 12:25 PM
Nothing special here. Just plain 'ol Krylon Banner Red on mine.

pantherjon
05-04-2010, 07:28 AM
I used Testor's Candy Apple Red on mine. :)

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t21/Pantherjon/DerRedMax010.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t21/Pantherjon/DerRedMax011.jpg

bobdros
05-10-2010, 01:29 PM
I used the Testors for Der Grosser Vati and it looks pretty good. I haven't put the decals on it yet. I haven't used the Excelsior decals yet and have never used the Micro-Sol, Film, Set before and I'm a little nervous about messing up the decals. It looks good though...