PDA

View Full Version : QUEST tubing

jamjammer53150
01-31-2010, 08:04 AM
Is it just me , or does quest tubing always go over or under size on its body tubes. This is wreking havoc on my attempts to make universal motor mounts.
I do like several of quests designs

tbzep
01-31-2010, 08:51 AM
Their tube sizes are metric. ;)

jamjammer53150
01-31-2010, 09:06 AM
Sometimes there over and some times under , for The BT60 its almost worth buying a kit just to make couplers out of it . here is what i found out

there BT60 ish is 39.75 od , estes is 41
so great for couplers

tbzep
01-31-2010, 09:09 AM
In all seriousness, their tube sizes are metric. If you check their web pages, they have tubes listed as T15 (15mm), T20 (20mm), T25 (25mm) etc.

The BT60-ish tube is a T40 (40mm), which is 1.57" OD. The BT-60 is 1.637"

tbzep
01-31-2010, 09:13 AM
As a side note, the tubes are based on the old MPC company's tube size.

Additional: MPC was sold and became AVI. If you have a look at the 1974 AVI catalog, you will see many of Quest's modern day kits and parts.

1974 AVI (http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/nostalgia/74avicat.html)

Royatl
01-31-2010, 09:34 AM

Which was, in turn, based on Model Rocket Industries tube sizes.

http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/catalogs/mri69/69mri2.html

tbzep
01-31-2010, 09:39 AM
Which was, in turn, based on Model Rocket Industries tube sizes.

http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/catalogs/mri69/69mri2.html

Yes. I was on Ninfinger and Sky High Hobbies looking at old MRI/MPC/AVI catalogs between posts and edits. :p

Brief history of MRI/MPC/AVI and some catalogs. (http://www.skyhighhobbies.com/history.htm)

Royatl
01-31-2010, 09:48 AM

Additional: MPC was sold and became AVI. If you have a look at the 1974 AVI catalog, you will see many of Quest's modern day kits and parts.

Actually, MPC's rocket business was sold back to the original owners (MRI) and became AVI. MPC lived on until sometime in the past decade. I've seen plastic model kits bearing a modern version of the MPC logo, but I don't know if the company exists or if the name is being used by another company.

shrox
01-31-2010, 09:51 AM
Our tubes and rings are made to exacting tolerances, and they are METRIC in diameter. A Quest T-25 has an outside diameter of 25mm, a T-35 has an OD of 35mm and so on.

tbzep
01-31-2010, 10:04 AM
Actually, MPC's rocket business was sold back to the original owners (MRI) and became AVI. MPC lived on until sometime in the past decade. I've seen plastic model kits bearing a modern version of the MPC logo, but I don't know if the company exists or if the name is being used by another company.

Yes, MRI was the original. If you will look at the post right above your last one, I included a link to a brief history of MRI/MPC/AVI.

Royatl
01-31-2010, 11:27 AM
Yes, MRI was the original. If you will look at the post right above your last one, I included a link to a brief history of MRI/MPC/AVI.

yes, but you added that after I started writing the reply! :)

Ltvscout
01-31-2010, 12:58 PM
I had Terry Dean do an interview with Myke Bergenske (Owner MRI/AVI) for an article to appear in Launch magazine. I dunno what's going to happen with that article now that Launch is kaput.

Initiator001
01-31-2010, 01:20 PM
I had Terry Dean do an interview with Myke Bergenske (Owner MRI/AVI) for an article to appear in Launch magazine. I dunno what's going to happen with that article now that Launch is kaput.

Post it here. :)

Bob

j.a.duke
01-31-2010, 08:13 PM
Our tubes and rings are made to exacting tolerances, and they are METRIC in diameter. A Quest T-25 has an outside diameter of 25mm, a T-35 has an OD of 35mm and so on.

Shrox,

Think you conjure up some centering rings for the T50 tubes?

I bought one (with matching nose cone) back in the fall, but short of making custom centering rings, which I'm not set up to do, there isn't any way I've found to use that tube, though I've got a design (or two) ready to go.

After looking over the new catalog, I've got more than a few kits on my wish list-but I'd really want to order those CRs with the kits.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Jon

Royatl
01-31-2010, 10:30 PM

Uh, Sport Rocketry??

Initiator001
02-01-2010, 01:33 AM
Shrox,

Think you conjure up some centering rings for the T50 tubes?

I bought one (with matching nose cone) back in the fall, but short of making custom centering rings, which I'm not set up to do, there isn't any way I've found to use that tube, though I've got a design (or two) ready to go.

After looking over the new catalog, I've got more than a few kits on my wish list-but I'd really want to order those CRs with the kits.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Jon

The Big Dog kit uses the T-50 body tube and has centering rings which hold a 29mm motor mount tube in the model. A 24mm adapter is also included. :)

Give Quest a call and see if they will sell you those centering rings.

Bob

ghrocketman
02-01-2010, 10:25 AM
Too bad the prices are not similar in actual dollar figures (NOT inflated for the economy now) to what was in that '74 AVI catalogue.

tbzep
02-01-2010, 01:36 PM
Buy some extra tubing and make your own T-50 couplers. It's simple, easy, and quick.

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=2804

No matter what anybody says about strength, it will not be a weak link on your airframe. The only way it would be weak is if you can't glue in a commercially made coupler either. :rolleyes:

Mark II
02-01-2010, 08:35 PM
Buy some extra tubing and make your own T-50 couplers. It's simple, easy, and quick.

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=2804

No matter what anybody says about strength, it will not be a weak link on your airframe. The only way it would be weak is if you can't glue in a commercially made coupler either. :rolleyes:

.Can you use that technique with centering rings, too? :confused: ;)

MarkII

tbzep
02-02-2010, 08:56 AM
Can you use that technique with centering rings, too? :confused: ;)

MarkII

DOH! For some reason I transposed the T-50 post into couplers. :o

blackshire
02-02-2010, 08:16 PM
Can you use that technique with centering rings, too? :confused: ;)

MarkIIActually yes (for centering one tube inside another tube that isn't more than ~1/3" larger in radius than the inner one), although I've found it easier to cut a long 3/8" wide strip of 110 pound card stock and spiral-wind centering rings out of it. Making centering rings out of slit rings of body tube doesn't require as much material since the tubing is thicker than the card stock, but it requires you to cut and slit several rings of body tube to build up the centering rings to the desired thickness.