PDA

View Full Version : Rustoleum Paint Nozzles

kurtschachner
01-19-2010, 04:40 PM
I'm putting this here cause it relates to a building technique (painting). Sort of :D

I use both Rustoleum and Krylon, lately my preference has been to Rustoleum. I have a problem with the nozzles clogging and soaking them in even methylene chloride hasn't been too effective. Well, on Sunday I e-mailed the Rustoleum company asking if I could buy spare nozzles. They wrote back on Monday morning saying they would send me some. Today (Tuesday) they show up. About 150 of them! I'm set for life!

Just a heads up in case any of you have the same problem.

hcmbanjo
01-19-2010, 05:04 PM
I've had the problem with paint building up on the nozzles.
This has only been with the (thicker pigment) Painter's Touch Rustoleum.

Each time before I spray, I simply chip off the paint build-up with a fingernail. Be careful not to press down on the nozzle when removing the paint, you might get sprayed.

The Rustoleum Painter's Touch is my new spray paint of choice, the paint build-uip on the nozzle is the only minor downside.

Mark II
01-19-2010, 05:09 PM
So when can we expect to start seeing a bunch of the nozzles you received showing up on eBay or Craigslist? :p

MarkII

GregGleason
01-19-2010, 05:21 PM
One thing I do (sometimes) is I take the nozzle off and run a little acetone through it.

Greg

Doug Sams
01-19-2010, 05:53 PM
I have a problem with the nozzles clogging and soaking them in even methylene chloride hasn't been too effective. They clog on me, too. I've found, for cleaning them out, that no matter how powerful the solvent, it still has to be worked into the clog. Merely soaking doesn't seem to do the trick. I use toothbrush bristles and poke them into the spray hole along with working a toothpick into the bottom hole, with a little lacquer thinner along for the ride. I can usually get the nozzle working that way.

Rather than asking RustOleum, which is a good idea, I collect nozzles off spent cans. It's much more pleasant to swap a nozzle and keep shooting when you're in the middle of a paint session rather than having to stop and futz with the clogged one. Or, I'll also steal a nozzle off a new can. It's robbing Peter to pay Paul, but I can worry about that bridge when I come to it later http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Doug

rokitflite
01-19-2010, 05:57 PM
One thing I do (sometimes) is I take the nozzle off and run a little acetone through it.

Greg

Me too.

tbzep
01-19-2010, 07:05 PM
I've been using Rustoleum lacquer. No problems with clogging. I've got plenty of lacquer thinner if it ever does. I'll invite ghrocketman down and we can soak them in an open bucket in a closed room. :D

Gus
01-19-2010, 09:02 PM
Kurt,

Timely post as I had a can of Rustoleum white clog up on me today. I switched nozzles but still no go. I tossed the can.

I can't complain too much. I store my spray cans in the garage and right now it's 20 degrees out there. For winter painting I pick whichever can I'm going to use, bring it in the house and run it under hot water for a few minutes until the can temp is inside room temp. I then shake vigorously and head outside to do the "dash-n-splash". Rarely have a problem with the Rustoleum. Not a technique I'd use for competition stuff or anything with significant masking, but it works well enough for sport stuff.

My preferred paint WAS the old Krylon, except for when I was using Excelsior decals, which the Krylon clear would eat. But I just tried a can of the new Krylon Gloss White and it was so thin it took 6 coats to cover the slightest dark markings on the tube. I actually used it during the fall and kept reaching over and spraying some nearby leaves just to be sure there was actual pigment coming out of the can. Anybody else have the same problem?

Doug Sams
01-19-2010, 10:06 PM
Timely post as I had a can of Rustoleum white clog up on me today. I switched nozzles but still no go. I tossed the can.I've had that happen, and have attributed some of it to the tube freezing at the exit of the can. I let it warm up a bit and it starts spraying again.

I swear by RustOleum - I get some incredibly shiny paint jobs with it - but sometimes the various cloggings drive me batty. Not that other paints don't do the same thing, but I use RustOleum's premium 90% of the time, so most of my painting problems come from them.

Doug

PaulK
01-19-2010, 11:06 PM
I'm putting this here cause it relates to a building technique (painting). Sort of :D

I use both Rustoleum and Krylon, lately my preference has been to Rustoleum. I have a problem with the nozzles clogging and soaking them in even methylene chloride hasn't been too effective. Well, on Sunday I e-mailed the Rustoleum company asking if I could buy spare nozzles. They wrote back on Monday morning saying they would send me some. Today (Tuesday) they show up. About 150 of them! I'm set for life!

Just a heads up in case any of you have the same problem.I recently had a problem with white rustoleum, started clogging while I was spraying... and spitting. Weird. Had to let it dry for a few days, sand it down, and repaint. I miss old Krylon. If you have too many nozzles, I'd be glad to take a few off your hands.

Today I saw noticed "Farm & Implement" Krylon at Ace, which was recoat anytime. Another Ace had "OSHA" spray paints which were also recoat anytime. Very limited colors of course.

AFlyingMonkey
01-20-2010, 11:00 AM
i will only use Rustoleum Painter's Touch now. I never have had any problems with the nozzles or paint. But then I ALWAYS wipe down the nozzles after i use the paint.

Green Dragon
01-20-2010, 12:41 PM
My preferred paint WAS the old Krylon, except for when I was using Excelsior decals, which the Krylon clear would eat. But I just tried a can of the new Krylon Gloss White and it was so thin it took 6 coats to cover the slightest dark markings on the tube. I actually used it during the fall and kept reaching over and spraying some nearby leaves just to be sure there was actual pigment coming out of the can. Anybody else have the same problem?

The new Krylon is very non-opaque.

I have had coverage issues, runs, etc - just not good paint.

I have also had bad orange-peel issues lately, might be due to the cold, both my Goblin and Cherokee B clear coats got all rough / orange peel .

and I just tried the Rustolium Aqua ( water base ) yellow, great coverage, sprayed thick though, and lumpy... after drying it 95% smoothed out, I was quite concerned at first - will have to play with that more once it warms up ( May or June ? :( )

~ AL

John Brohm
01-20-2010, 05:55 PM
I recently had a problem with white rustoleum, started clogging while I was spraying... and spitting. Weird. Had to let it dry for a few days, sand it down, and repaint. I miss old Krylon. If you have too many nozzles, I'd be glad to take a few off your hands.

Yes, I get that problem as well with Rustoleum. I find Rustoleum to be a dilmma - as Doug says, it offers one of the best gloss coats (and a very durable finish, once fully cured), but boy, it can also be a pain to spray. I find that the particulate content is much higher as compared to the old Krylon or Testors. I've found that warming the can in warm water helps, but does not entirely eliminate, the particulates.

ghrocketman
01-21-2010, 12:01 PM
Hey now !
It's been YEARS since I have deliberately sniffed lacquer/butyrate thinner from a bucket in a closed room. :rolleyes:
Tbzep can go ahead and do it and let us know how that works fer him though.... :chuckle:

Now having poor ventilation when using Butyrate dope Sanding Sealer/Balsa fillercoat and colors is a different story. That happens all the time and I don't really do anything about it other than leave the room. BFD- Bigg f'n deel.

Agree with Gus that the new Krylon absolutely stinks for opacity. You have to spray more coats with that than color dope to get a good finish. If I use Spray-Bomb type cans for painting, I use Rust-Oleum or one of the brands from my hobby shops around me (Testors, Lustrekote, Tamiya, etc). More often than not, I use good old-fashioned Pactra Aero Gloss Dope out of my airbrush.

My favorite all-time spray-bomb paint of all-time has been discontinued for over 20 years; Pactra 'Namel. I'm talking the original stuff, not the stuff labeled Pactra after they were bought out by the parent company of Testors; that stuff was just relabeled Testors paint in Pactra labeled cans. Not NEARLY as good. I remember in the late 70's through the mid 80's until the Model Master lines came out, Pactra offered much more variety in colors than Testors.

Marlin523
01-21-2010, 03:04 PM
I'll bet the Farm Implement colors were Red, or Green and Yellow - HA!

ghrocketman
01-22-2010, 08:48 AM
I believe they offer Ford Blue and Allis/AGCO/Simplicity Orange in the Implement colors as well.

tbzep
01-22-2010, 09:19 AM
I believe they offer Ford Blue and Allis/AGCO/Simplicity Orange in the Implement colors as well.

The Krylon Farm and Impliment School Bus Yellow is a good color for Goblins. It's a deeper yellow than the JD yellow. Bright sunny yellows just don't go with the theme of goblins, bats, etc. Krylon doesn't make Caterpillar yellow, but it is similar in color. Plasti-kote has it, and I think some other brands may as well. I'm not really into any bright pastel looking yellow.

BTW, here's Krylon's F&I colors:

http://www.krylon.com/products/farm_implement_paint/

SteveA
01-25-2010, 01:55 PM
I have also had bad orange-peel issues lately,

I experienced this over the weekend. Not with the clear but the primer. In fact, it was almost an instantaneous blistering. I had to sand down the offending sections. However, rather than using the rattle can, I just shot flat white on with the airbrush. I never have cared for rattle cans. you're spraying triple the amount of paint at nearly double the pressure of an airbrush. Sorry, I'm a control freak. I like to paint a whole rocket on a half an ounce of paint.

While we're on the subject, I noticed someone mentioned Pactra. Does anyone know of a place online who handles the Pactra Astro-Colors? I live out here in Western Kansas and the nearest real hobby store is 3-4 hours away, so if I could purchase them online that would be great. :)

ghrocketman
01-25-2010, 02:14 PM
Pactra "Astro Color" paint was just re-labeled Pactra 'Namel and has not been produced for MANY (like 15+) years. Any "Astro Color" you may find will be very old stock. I still use some but good luck finding any. I got mine from the backroom of a hobby shop that was closing out years ago.

ScaleNut
01-25-2010, 02:30 PM
yep the good old airbrush, it solves all these common problems... and than some

Doug Sams
01-25-2010, 02:52 PM
yep the good old airbrush, it solves all these common problems... and than someIt's a double edged sword. I bought an airbrush in hopes of saving money on paint and also being able to get more color variety.

The downsides are multiple. Even with the biggest nozzle attached, it still doesn't move enough paint - it is slow. Once done, I find a fair amount of paint is wasted in airbrush. And cleaning up is a PITA. Lastly, mixing ones own colors is more challenging than I anticipated http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/images/smilies/redface.gif For the one batch of good, hot pink I got, I probably tossed three batches that looked like crap.

In trying to improve the flow, I went so far as to buy a detail sprayer thinking it would give me the spray of a regular gun while being better suited to the smaller jobs (like rockets). Alas, it also puts out too little paint http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/images/smilies/frown.gif

So, while rattle cans have their own problems, they take only a couple minutes to prep, and only seconds to clean up. And if you buy a good paint such as RustOleum premium (not Painter's Touch), you can get a heckuva a good shine, and they have a reasonable color variety.

I still plan to use my spraying equipment on various projects, including my L3 (someday), but for most of my LPR and MPR birds, rattle cans rule http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Doug

SteveA
01-25-2010, 02:56 PM
Pactra "Astro Color" paint was just re-labeled Pactra 'Namel and has not been produced for MANY (like 15+) years. Any "Astro Color" you may find will be very old stock. I still use some but good luck finding any. I got mine from the backroom of a hobby shop that was closing out years ago.

I was afraid of that. I inherited a few bottles in the same manner. The majority of my paints stocks are Model Master military colors.....Thanks!

ghrocketman
01-25-2010, 02:59 PM
I use Aero Gloss color dope in my airbrush most often to paint rockets.
When I use rattle cans, I use Testors and Rust Oleum most of the time but NEVER the new Krylon. The old Krylon was acceptable (below the others listed) but the new stuff is awful.
I have old stocks of Pactra 'Namel and Pactra Aero Gloss in Spray cans for special projects.
I use a limited stock of Sig and Brodak dope as well.

Pem Tech
01-26-2010, 09:01 AM
And you are going to share your bounty of nozzles with all your friends and colleagues on YORF, right?
:rolleyes:

kurtschachner
01-26-2010, 09:23 AM
And you are going to share your bounty of nozzles with all your friends and colleagues on YORF, right?
:rolleyes:

http://www.moviesoundclips.net/movies1/findingnemo/mine.wav

Seriously though, my whole point in making my post was to let everyone know how easy it was to get those nozzles. Like I said, I sent one short email on Sunday, got a response on Monday morning, and the bounty arrived on my doorstep on Tuesday! So (again) my point was that if you are experiencing this problem let them know. It's silly to throw away a half-used can due to a clogged nozzle, or to keep swapping nozzles between cans to get a good one.