PDA

View Full Version : A couple of completed ones

kurtschachner
01-07-2010, 09:01 PM
While unemployed, I've had a bit of time to complete some of the numerous half-finished models on my shelves. Here's a couple that I got done, they are an Estes Sprint and Centuri (Semroc) Batrok. I changed the Batrok a bit by painting it black and using a white decal. I only built the Sprint because I had an original Estes decal floating around that needed to be used.

I've got a few more just about done that I'll post later. Unless of course I get a job before then :rolleyes:

Bob Thomas
01-07-2010, 11:44 PM
Nice reproductions, Kurt.

I have been spending every day since New Years trying to sort out my "incompletes" also. Gosh, I had almost forgotten about a few of them. I will never bag up an incomplete just for neatness sake again. Not to mention the parts collected for kits planned and postponed. It never seems to end. Then you read about a fellow YORF member's project and again another addition to the build queue.

Look forward to everything you have to show. Hope work comes to you as you need it.

Best Wishes

Solomoriah
01-08-2010, 08:25 AM
I have to bag up my incompletes, or I lose the parts...

PaulK
01-11-2010, 10:24 AM
While unemployed, I've had a bit of time to complete some of the numerous half-finished models on my shelves. Here's a couple that I got done, they are an Estes Sprint and Centuri (Semroc) Batrok. I changed the Batrok a bit by painting it black and using a white decal. I only built the Sprint because I had an original Estes decal floating around that needed to be used.

I've got a few more just about done that I'll post later. Unless of course I get a job before then :rolleyes:So there is an upside to being unemployed, at least for a while. Nice builds Kurt, we'll see these flying soon, right? Did I hear something about a sprint on a B14-7?

ghrocketman
01-11-2010, 10:27 AM
I have flown my Astron Sprint on vintage B14-7's several times and it is always a GREAT flight.
If it was still easily available, the B14-7 would be my "standard" motor for the Astron Sprint !
I have managed to get it back the 8 or so times it has flown on a C6-7 too.

Doug Sams
01-11-2010, 11:45 AM
I have flown my Astron Sprint on vintage B14-7's several times and it is always a GREAT flight.
If it was still easily available, the B14-7 would be my "standard" motor for the Astron Sprint !
I have managed to get it back the 8 or so times it has flown on a C6-7 too.Mine really goes on a B6-6, or even an A8-5. It'd just about teleport off the rod on a B14.

I've never had the nerve to fly it on a C6-7 http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/images/smilies/redface.gif

Doug

ghrocketman
01-11-2010, 12:31 PM
It takes off like a rifle shot on the B14-7 but is not hard to track as the tracking smoke starts about 0.3 sec into the flight.
Those old engines have REALLY good tracking smoke during the coast phase.
At Apogee of a C6-7 flight one can just barely see it if it is perfectly clear.
Generally you dont see it until that 90" of streamer unfurls, then it is easy to see.

kurtschachner
01-11-2010, 02:49 PM
Yeah, I'll do that at the March sod farm launch. See you there!

So there is an upside to being unemployed, at least for a while. Nice builds Kurt, we'll see these flying soon, right? Did I hear something about a sprint on a B14-7?

Ltvscout
01-11-2010, 04:40 PM
Yeah, I'll do that at the March sod farm launch. See you there!
Since you and Eric are going to be flying "big" BP, I'll see if I can unearth one of my Sprint's and some B14-7's. We can have a drag race!

Bob Kaplow, you should try to make this WOOSH sod farm launch. Bring some motors!

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-11-2010, 09:34 PM
I've never had the nerve to fly it on a C6-7 http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/images/smilies/redface.gif

I did. As you might expect, it was never seen nor hear from again. That was with a full flight line watching, too. :(

Doug Sams
01-11-2010, 10:35 PM
I did. As you might expect, it was never seen nor heard from again. That was with a full flight line watching, too. :(
LOL.

There's a fine line between manhood and foolishness :D

Seriously, as mentioned elsewhere, I would think a long streamer, preferably shiny mylar, would be a key recovery aid. What'd you have in yours?

[Edit]PS, that's a good reason to build another one :)

Doug

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-12-2010, 04:28 PM
There's a fine line between manhood and foolishness :D

Line? There's a line?

Seriously, as mentioned elsewhere, I would think a long streamer, preferably shiny mylar, would be a key recovery aid. What'd you have in yours?

I had a red Mylar streamer in it, but I doubt that it was long enough.

PS, that's a good reason to build another one :)

I bought a cone from BMS not long after the ill-fated flight, but by the time it arrived my focus had moved elsewhere. That bunch of cones was supposed to produce a bunch of oldies, but I never got back to the project. I know a Javelin/Super Flea combo was one of the planned projects, and a lot of the others were of that ilk. (Seldom seen catalog classics, that is.)

kurtschachner
01-12-2010, 06:59 PM
Line? There's a line?

Not for some people ;)