PDA

View Full Version : Auction: Lots of Crafts (LOC) Cruiser Kit (1986)

jadebox
10-11-2009, 06:44 PM
How many of you knew that LOC was originally "Lots of Crafts?"

http://www.payloadbay.com/gallery/d/32978-2/lots-of-crafts-ad.jpg

We've listed a "Lots of Crafts" Cruiser kit from around 1986 on eBay.

http://www.payloadbay.com/gallery/d/32969-2/eBay+007.JPG

This "Cruiser" kit is a two-engine mid-power bird, not the high-power rocket they now offer under the same name. The kit is sealed in the original factory packaging and all the parts appear to be included and in good shape.

All of our current auction items are listed at:

http://www.jonrocket.com/auctions.html

-- Roger

Green Dragon
10-11-2009, 08:08 PM
Had one of these back in the day .... used to fly it drop staged D12s. very stable bird.

Good to see a lok back at the early HPR stuff, I have been collecting info and plans on these for years, got a line on some truly rare items - which will be scanned for YORF, of course ;)

Looking for any Pine Cap plans, or Crown Spartan fin patterns - anyone have those ?

~ AL

Royatl
10-11-2009, 09:48 PM
How many of you knew that LOC was originally "Lots of Crafts?"

-- Roger

<hand-waving> I did! I did! </hand-waving>

But I didn't know where "Precision" came from. Now I do!

jadebox
10-12-2009, 08:25 AM
<hand-waving> I did! I did! </hand-waving>

But I didn't know where "Precision" came from. Now I do!

I thought that was pretty cute. Now, the question is whether the name is based on the slogan or if the slogan was created based on the name they had chosen.

-- Roger

Royatl
10-12-2009, 10:42 AM
I had always assumed that Ron was going to call the rocket side of the business, "Precision," I.E. "Precision Rocketry" or "Precision Rockets", and that they used "LOC/Precision" as a transition name, but it stuck.

In '91 after NARAM 33, I went by the park they used in their promotional/instructional video. They flew 3-G clusters and H and I motors out of *that*? It looks much bigger in the video than it did live!

GregGleason
10-12-2009, 12:21 PM
The "Lots of Crafts" font is so retro ... even for 1986!

Greg

Royatl
10-12-2009, 01:23 PM
The "Lots of Crafts" font is so retro ... even for 1986!

Greg

That was probably the only dry-transfer lettering they had in stock!

Doug Sams
10-12-2009, 02:21 PM
I had always assumed that Ron was going to call the rocket side of the business, "Precision," I.E. "Precision Rocketry" or "Precision Rockets", and that they used "LOC/Precision" as a transition name, but it stuck.Whether the name came by accident or by design, it works. And when the brand name is working, you gotta stay with it. (Which they have.)

I find it intersting that some companies have tried to change brand names without cause. Since Irwin acquired Vise-Grip, they've been trying to change the name to Irwin. I don't know why in the heck they would do that. Everybody's heard of Vise-Grip. The guy must be really proud of his name http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Doug

wilsotr
10-12-2009, 05:01 PM
Since Irwin acquired Vise-Grip, they've been trying to change the name to Irwin.

That's just ....... dumb.

Royatl
10-12-2009, 05:22 PM
Whether the name came by accident or by design, it works. And when the brand name is working, you gotta stay with it. (Which they have.)

I find it intersting that some companies have tried to change brand names without cause. Since Irwin acquired Vise-Grip, they've been trying to change the name to Irwin. I don't know why in the heck they would do that. Everybody's heard of Vise-Grip. The guy must be really proud of his name http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Doug

I still think it will eventually be revealed as a big mistake for FedEx to remove the Kinko's name from their copy/office centers. I've still not met anyone who says, "I've got to go make some copies over at FedEx Office!" In the five or six years they've had the FedEx prefix, I've never heard them called anything but "Kinko's"

snaquin
10-12-2009, 06:27 PM
It's cool to see an old LOC kit like that up for auction. LOC kits were my transition into HPR and the first kits I bought were all packaged just like that with the simple instructions with the staple in the corner and the catalog line drawing (although I don't remember this kit from my catalog) with the simple kit text typed on the front with some of the recommended AeroTech and Vulcan motors. I came to recognize the distinct packaging when I bought kits from Ron at LDRS, my local hobby store and direct from LOC since I flew LOC almost exclusively for a few years after entering into HPR. They were a big motor dealer for AeroTech and Vulcan and sold Thermalite by the spool. Man those were the days .....

I still have a LOC/Precision Laser/LOC 1.5 with the heavy solid hardwood nose cone sealed in the bag. The Laser/LOC kits were the minimum diameter kits to be reckoned with for altitude attempts back then and I really, really admired them. J125 and K250's in the Laser/LOC 2.1 were awesome and I saw plenty fly at LDRS in Colorado.

:D

Initiator001
10-12-2009, 06:37 PM
I still have a LOC/Precision Laser/LOC 1.5 with the heavy solid hardwood nose cone sealed in the bag. The Laser/LOC kits were the minimum diameter kits to be reckoned with for altitude attempts back then and I really, really admired them. J125 and K250's in the Laser/LOC 2.1 were awesome and I saw plenty fly at LDRS in Colorado.

:D

I remember the LaserLoc series of kits.

I still have a LaserLoc 2.1 in the bag and a LaserLoc 3.1 in the box. The 3.1 version was a limited production kit. Ron Schultz was a master at woodworking. The nose cone and tail cone on the 3.1 kit were beautiful pieces of work.

Bob

Green Dragon
10-14-2009, 05:48 PM
I remember the LaserLoc series of kits.

I still have a LaserLoc 2.1 in the bag and a LaserLoc 3.1 in the box. The 3.1 version was a limited production kit. Ron Schultz was a master at woodworking. The nose cone and tail cone on the 3.1 kit were beautiful pieces of work.

Bob

Amen to both ( Ron;'s work and the Laser-Loc 3.1 ) .

I have one of the original ( 5 pc ) run Esoteric kits with turned balsa transition and foam cone, soon to be flying again :) . awesome custom work, always.
I have also had the oportunity to own a couple Ron-built rockets, given to us as gifts - one I still have parts of ( custom 4" dia XXE flown at Static 1 in NY ), and I sadly lost ( possibly stolen from recovery area :( .... the original Ultimate kit ( white painted one as on the ,iirc, 1987 catalog cover - photo from Z1 ) ..

Our 3.1 boatail was lost at Nypower launch, when the main deployed at apogee, after an INCREDIBLE Kosdon J1000 boost :D.... what can I say, lol...

~ AL