PDA

View Full Version : Estes Mongoose

pdooley
05-15-2009, 04:07 PM
This is shown as a new kit, although I thought it has been out for a few years now.

Anyway, does anyone else notice the similarity of this kit to the #1333 Scorpion?

I only wish the Mongoose had the Scorpion decals...

Shreadvector
05-15-2009, 04:14 PM
Very similar kits. Mongoose was out then gone and now coming back again.

Hopefully the booster stage is not stable. Some version of these simple kits had booster stages that crashed back to earth like a Yard Dart.

This is shown as a new kit, although I thought it has been out for a few years now.

Anyway, does anyone else notice the similarity of this kit to the #1333 Scorpion?

Rocket Doctor
05-15-2009, 04:51 PM

FYI

Estes #1333 Scorpion 1980 - 1983

Estes #2092 Mongoose 1994 - 2005

Sometimes a rocket kit can reappear with a new name with the basic design. Sometimes when a kit is on hiatus, the name could be used elsewhere, and , not available.

For example, my design Estes #1433 Deluxe Super Shot Screw Machine Starter Set (2002-2003) was turned into the Estes #2029 Converter (2006 - Present)

FYI

The Estes #2029was assigned to the Raven (1990 - 1991) and the Estes #1433 was assigned to the
Space Shuttle Starter Set (1983 - 1985)

Also, the part # for the whistles on the Screamin MIMI were also assigned the part # for the bulbs in the launch controller and used at the same time, very confusing to Customer Service if you only went by the Part #.

pdooley
05-15-2009, 05:01 PM
Thx for the info.

Looks like I'm going to pick up a couple Mongoose kits and see if Phred or Gordon has the Scorpion decals.

Dannycolossus
08-01-2009, 08:33 PM
the old mongoose had pink fins and a yellow tube, this has yellow fins and purple tubes

Rocket Doctor
08-02-2009, 06:58 AM
the old mongoose had pink fins and a yellow tube, this has yellow fins and purple tubes

I do have those fins and tubes if you need them. Parts are hard to come by .

mycrofte
08-02-2009, 08:27 AM
I found a place that still carries these;Deluxe Super Shot Starter (http://www.kitsusa.net/phpstore/html/Estes-1433-Deluxe-Super-Shot-Starter-Set-790.html)

Rocket Doctor
08-02-2009, 08:44 AM
I found a place that still carries these;Deluxe Super Shot Starter (http://www.kitsusa.net/phpstore/html/Estes-1433-Deluxe-Super-Shot-Starter-Set-790.html)

That was one of my designs, originally, it was an exclusive to walMart, coming in a very large box, giving the potential buyer that they were getting more than what was contained in the box.

WalMart soon discovered that shelf space was more valuable than a huge box and the package was made smaller. This kit was also known as the "Screw Machine" a name that I didn't like, my original name was "Kwik K'Nect"

This kit was dropped and a few years later, it reappeared as the Converter #2029. The tube lenghts were changed from the original.

My idea was to have a rocket that could be made into many versions. I did the initial flight testing on this, using a variety of motors, as you can see from the instruction, depending upon the length, the motors will vary. Go according to the instructions.

FYI
I have both of these sitting here in my office, the larger WalMart one is in my storage area.