PDA

View Full Version : John H. Glenn,Jr.

Rocket Doctor
02-20-2009, 08:28 AM
Where were you today back in 1962?

As most of you know, Astronaut and Senator John H. Glenn,Jr. made his historic flight today, the first American astronaut to circle the Earth.

Glenn was born in Cambridge Ohio on July 18,1921.

LiteMeUp
02-20-2009, 08:32 AM

Probably an afterthought after my parents got jiggy with it... :chuckle:

Rocketflyer
02-20-2009, 09:20 AM

As most of you know, Astronaut and Senator John H. Glenn,Jr. made his historic flight today, the first American astronaut to circle the Earth.

Sophomore in HS.

luke strawwalker
02-20-2009, 09:40 AM
My parents were freshmen in HS... I was exactly four months old when Apollo 15 entered lunar orbit...

Dang, it's a shame... the best years in this country's history happened before I was born or when I was still in diapers... :(

OL JR :)

Nuke Rocketeer
02-20-2009, 09:49 AM

Just 5 years old, not even in school yet. Mom had us watch it on TV

InFlight
02-20-2009, 10:23 AM
I was still just a twinkle in my fathers eye. :chuckle:

InFlight
02-20-2009, 10:29 AM
Forgot to mention that I went to a high school that was named after him.

John Glenn High School, Westland MI

Football team is called the Rockets! :D

conleyt
02-20-2009, 11:59 AM
I was 3 and my baby brother was expected in about 1 month....... :D

Tom C.

CPMcGraw
02-20-2009, 12:07 PM
I was a huge bulge in my momma's midsection, and soon to be a real pain in eight days... :D

At least the bulge went away... :eek: :chuckle:

Davidtmp
02-20-2009, 12:27 PM
'62 was 9 years before the big "oops". My brother was 2.

DeanHFox
02-20-2009, 02:48 PM
I was 5 months old, just toddlin' around...

(it was wonderful to "grow up" as the US Space Program "grew up")

...but I thought we'd be on Mars by now... :(

LeeR
02-20-2009, 02:50 PM
Remembered the flight well. I was almost 10 when Glenn flew. In another year or so, I saw my first Estes catalog. Remember turning on the "pole lamp" next to my bed and studying the catalog until I fell asleep ...
:)

I was in high school when Apollo 11 landed, and in college studying Aerospace Engineering when NASA killed off the Apollo program. Switched to EE, and bummed for a long time that the golden era of the space program was behind me.

And, glad to see someone older than me hanging out here -- Rocketflyer!

MKP
02-20-2009, 04:47 PM
My Father was 1 year old and my Mother wasn't even born yet. Pity, I didn't even get to see the good years.

blackshire
02-20-2009, 07:21 PM
If the flash of previous memory is from that period, I was working on a farm in southeastern England at that time--but I wasn't living in the house.

Bazookadale
02-20-2009, 08:07 PM
I was in 2nd grade - I remember the whole school being herded into the cafeteria to watch the launch on what was probably a 19" or 21" TV with rabbit ears. I was in the back of the room and could barely see it. Couldn't understand what the big deal was. I didn't really become a space nut until the Gemini series in '65 which is also when I started flying Model rockets

Ltvscout
02-21-2009, 08:52 AM
A glimmer in my parents eyes. ;)

Actually, I was "cooking" away in my mom's stomach.

sandman
02-21-2009, 09:40 AM
I was a high school freshman.

Watched it on a B/W TV in the study hall..it was a real hall!

BEC
02-21-2009, 12:42 PM
Lessee...February 20th in 1962. I would've turned 6 the previous October, so probably in 1st grade at St. Bernadette's School in Denver. I remember following the Mercury program on TV as I could, but not a great deal of specific details.

By the way, sandman, Logan's Run was the first movie I took a girl I had just met in college to go see.....we'll be married 31 years in May. :)

moonzero2
02-21-2009, 12:51 PM
I remember it very well,... I was in kindergarten and my teacher explained it to me, he was an astronaut and he was circling the earth in a space ship. I was so amazed! And that was the beginning of my intrest in outer space and our space program,...

Gus
02-21-2009, 01:05 PM
I was in kindergarten in a small town in Illinois.

I know my mother would have kept me and my brother home to watch, as she had for Shepard and Grissom. My mother was not really all that into the space program, but she thought these events were too historic for her children to miss.

My mother tells the story that all of her friends thought she was insane for letting us watch the launches since they were sure that evenutually one of the rockets would blow up and we'd be seeing people die on TV. They thought we'd be scarred for life.

They were right in that watching the launches did leave an indelible impression on me. Just not in the way they thought. :)

As an aside, I did not truly understand how brave those initial 7 were until I got back into the space program as an adult. Can you imagine being willing to ride on top of an ICBM, inside a little can, where they used a giant socket wrench to bolt the door closed before you left? Then they cleared the area of all humans for several miles? :eek:

Rocketflyer
02-21-2009, 05:43 PM
Remembered the flight well. I was almost 10 when Glenn flew. In another year or so, I saw my first Estes catalog. Remember turning on the "pole lamp" next to my bed and studying the catalog until I fell asleep ...
:)

I was in high school when Apollo 11 landed, and in college studying Aerospace Engineering when NASA killed off the Apollo program. Switched to EE, and bummed for a long time that the golden era of the space program was behind me.

And, glad to see someone older than me hanging out here -- Rocketflyer!

Yeah, I got ol' Sandman by a year, and Carl M. has me by just 3months. Tempus Fugit, when yer having fun. ;) Why I can remember when........

wilsotr
02-22-2009, 09:02 PM
I was 3 ... wow. Not sure how I got from there to here. :)

Rocketcrab
02-23-2009, 10:52 AM
I was a few months shy of my 6th birthday, going to kindergarten. I have vague memories of the event. Then again, I onlyhave vague memories of yesterday! :chuckle:

jetlag
02-23-2009, 11:07 AM
I was 7 months shy of my 2nd birthday! I really only remember JFK's assissination shortly thereafter. The Saturn Launches (1B's and the V's) are what I remember the most. Oh, I do remember some of the Gemini launches.

Ken, what were YOU doing????

Allen

Mikus
02-23-2009, 12:13 PM

Gestating. And I'm not coming out until September dang it, it's warm in here. ;)

Doug Sams
02-23-2009, 12:26 PM
I was "cooking" away in my mom's stomach.
I was about 8 months old, so I was doing my own cooking...in my diaper http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

My earliest space-program memories are of the fire. No recollection of Gemini at all.

Doug

Bob Kaplow
02-23-2009, 12:36 PM

I would have still been living in Chicago, in 3rd grade. I remember watching TV coverage on an old B&W TV with rabbit ears.

It was about 1.5 years later that the family moved to the suburbs, and I saw my first model rocket.

Somewhat related, a bit over 2 years ago Mark Lee came to one of the libraries where I was giving my "Rocket Boys in the 21st Century" talk. He gave the date May 5, 1961 as the day he decided he wanted to be an astronaut. Of course I was the only person in the room that could say what happened on that date.

Rocket Doctor
02-23-2009, 04:22 PM
I was 7 months shy of my 2nd birthday! I really only remember JFK's assissination shortly thereafter. The Saturn Launches (1B's and the V's) are what I remember the most. Oh, I do remember some of the Gemini launches.

Ken, what were YOU doing????

Allen

I was 9 1/2 at the time, getting involved in rocketry, I remember all those AD's in the Popular Science Mags etc.

Out of all of the astronauts, Glenn and John Young were my favorites. There was an astronaut that graduated from high school the same year I did in 1970, who lived in the next town over and was on a DOD mission, his name is Bill Pailes and he works at the Pentagon.

Side note, I do have many articles and other items regarding Glenn's flight.