PDA

View Full Version : Quest Aerobee-Hi Reproduction Kit

cas2047
11-26-2008, 02:54 PM
I was wondering if anyone has picked up this kit from Quest.

It look pretty cool to me and very reasonable at $15.00. Here's a link to the info on the Quest site: http://www.questaerospace.com/Itemdesc.asp?Cartid={361EC42EEVEREST-2D71-4526-A259-21ACEF435FEA}&ic=MMI%2D001&eq=&Tp=

Thanks

JSP
11-26-2008, 03:06 PM
I picked one up a while back. The model is an interesting blend of old and new. For example, the tube is not spiral wound, but the fins are laser cut. The box and instructions are dead on to the originals, except that there is a "50th Anniversary Commemorative Kit" logo and a Quest logo on one end of the box and at the top of the instruction sheet. One thing that stands out to me is that the nose cone (at least in my kit) is beautiful. Someone did a great job turning these things. I won't be building mine anytime soon (probably never) since I have a AAA Model Aviation Fuels 29mm Aerobee that pretty much fills that spot in my fleet. Still, it looks great on the shelf...
I hope this helps!

dwmzmm
11-26-2008, 03:06 PM
I got one, but haven't assembled it yet. Looking forward to it, though.

cas2047
11-26-2008, 03:31 PM
Hey J. and Dave thanks for the great info and pics! Between the description and the pics I realize that It's a no brainer. I'm buying it ASAP!

That is an extremely cool kit!

dwmzmm
11-26-2008, 03:43 PM
Hey J. and Dave thanks for the great info and pics! Between the description and the pics I realize that It's a no brainer. I'm buying it ASAP!

That is an extremely cool kit!

You gotta hurry; I think Quest only made a limited number of kits. I had reserved mine at
the time the announcement was made (this past spring, if I remember correctly) and even
prepaid so as to make sure I'd get one. Had to wait until after NARAM - 50 for Quest to send
it, though (since I couldn't make it to the ORR :( ). The box and the instructions alone makes it a collector's item.

Royatl
11-26-2008, 04:27 PM
I was wondering if anyone has picked up this kit from Quest.

It look pretty cool to me and very reasonable at $15.00. Here's a link to the info on the Quest site: http://www.questaerospace.com/Itemdesc.asp?Cartid={361EC42EEVEREST-2D71-4526-A259-21ACEF435FEA}&ic=MMI%2D001&eq=&Tp=

Thanks

Yep, got one at NARAM, and ordered four more when I got home. I gave one to a friend, and will give one out tonight at the SoAR Holiday Party. An excellent reproduction, though I was disappointed that they didn't get rubbery vinyl nose cones made! :)

cas2047
11-26-2008, 06:14 PM
You gotta hurry; I think Quest only made a limited number of kits. I had reserved mine at
the time the announcement was made (this past spring, if I remember correctly) and even
prepaid so as to make sure I'd get one. Had to wait until after NARAM - 50 for Quest to send
it, though (since I couldn't make it to the ORR :( ). The box and the instructions alone makes it a collector's item.

Thanks for the heads-up!

After hearing the description and seeing the pictures I'm really blown away by how much effort went into the kit and even the box.

Now I just have to get one before they are all gone! :eek:

cas2047
11-26-2008, 06:15 PM
Yep, got one at NARAM, and ordered four more when I got home. I gave one to a friend, and will give one out tonight at the SoAR Holiday Party.

Your friends must think a lot of you. You give great gifts! :)

tbzep
11-26-2008, 07:26 PM
Are the anniversary kits available from any regular vendors instead of direct from Quest?

dwmzmm
11-26-2008, 07:33 PM
Are the anniversary kits available from any regular vendors instead of direct from Quest?

As far as I know, you have to order these direct from Quest. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.....

cas2047
11-26-2008, 07:48 PM

I don't know but I just ordered two direct from Quest. They were 15.00 a piece, which is good. Shipping is 12.15 which I think is a bit high, but I think most everything is a bit high.

foose4string
11-26-2008, 08:06 PM
As far as I know, you have to order these direct from Quest. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.....

I think you're right Dave. I'm pretty sure they are only available direct from Quest(and also available at NARAM50). I pre-ordered mine and picked it up at NARAM. I don't think I'll building mine. I'm chalking it up as a souvenir from the event. I'm assuming they'll be collectable, so you might want to get the Semroc Aerobee if you're just looking to build one.

tbzep
11-26-2008, 08:11 PM
Shipping is 12.15 which I think is a bit high, but I think most everything is a bit high.

That's why I was hoping to get one somewhere else. Shipping is way too high for an Aerobee and some sample "Super C's" and a D5-O(P). :rolleyes:

I guess I've been spoiled by Semroc, BMS, UMRS, etc. :cool:

cas2047
11-26-2008, 09:40 PM
That's why I was hoping to get one somewhere else. Shipping is way too high for an Aerobee and some sample "Super C's" and a D5-O(P). :rolleyes:

Well at least I'm not the only one that feels that way.

However I had couldn't pass on it so I ordered two.

barone
11-26-2008, 10:16 PM

Gee Tim....If I'd known you wanted to place an order, we could have combined an order and split the shipping. I go by Huntington about every two weeks.... :(

dwmzmm
11-26-2008, 10:16 PM
Yes, that was my biggest complaint, too (the shipping costs). But, due to the collectible
value, it's something I just had to have, so I was more than willing to swallow the shipping
to get the Aerobee-Hi with the box and vintage printed instructions "at all costs." I will,
however, build the kit anyway; unlike some collectors, my model's were purchased to be
built AND flown; otherwise what I (we) have is just a model, one that will be confined on a
shelf on a permanent basis collecting dust.....

For the same reason, I'm about to get started on my vintage Estes 1/70 scale Saturn 1-B
model (but will use the Apogee Apollo capsule and RCS). It, too, is expected to fly as many
times as I can put it up..... :) Pic of the box of this kit below:

Royatl
11-26-2008, 11:06 PM
Your friends must think a lot of you. You give great gifts! :)

I ended up keeping the Aerobee for a new monthly rocketry trivia contest on the SoAR website we just thought up of tonight.

But I did give away a big bag of kits that I figured I'd never get around to building.

cas2047
11-27-2008, 07:15 AM
For the same reason, I'm about to get started on my vintage Estes 1/70 scale Saturn 1-B
model (but will use the Apogee Apollo capsule and RCS). It, too, is expected to fly as many
times as I can put it up..... :) Pic of the box of this kit below:

Outstanding!

Will you use the Apogee capsule for flight and the original for display or will you just be using the Apogee capsule?

cas2047
11-27-2008, 07:17 AM
I ended up keeping the Aerobee for a new monthly rocketry trivia contest on the SoAR website we just thought up of tonight.

But I did give away a big bag of kits that I figured I'd never get around to building.

I hope your club members appreciate you. Thats an awful nice thing to do and a great way to drive interest in model rocketry. :)

dwmzmm
11-27-2008, 07:41 AM
Outstanding!

Will you use the Apogee capsule for flight and the original for display or will you just be using the Apogee capsule?

Will use the Apogee capsule for both (display & flight). I'm going to modify the model so the
separation is at the SIV-B/LEM shroud point (like the Centuri 1/100 scale Saturn 1-B). However, I haven't been able to find a vendor that carries the coupler size needed so I can
make this work, so I'm going to have to improvise on my own. Also will need to replace the
decals that came with my Estes kit, since it's for the SA-207 round. I want mine to be the
SA-205 (Apollo - 7) round.

cas2047
11-28-2008, 02:02 PM
Will use the Apogee capsule for both (display & flight). I'm going to modify the model so the
separation is at the SIV-B/LEM shroud point (like the Centuri 1/100 scale Saturn 1-B). However, I haven't been able to find a vendor that carries the coupler size needed so I can
make this work, so I'm going to have to improvise on my own. Also will need to replace the
decals that came with my Estes kit, since it's for the SA-207 round. I want mine to be the
SA-205 (Apollo - 7) round.

Very cool!

snuggles
11-29-2008, 05:57 PM
I picked one up a while back. The model is an interesting blend of old and new. For example, the tube is not spiral wound, but the fins are laser cut. The box and instructions are dead on to the originals, except that there is a "50th Anniversary Commemorative Kit" logo and a Quest logo on one end of the box and at the top of the instruction sheet. One thing that stands out to me is that the nose cone (at least in my kit) is beautiful. Someone did a great job turning these things. I won't be building mine anytime soon (probably never) since I have a AAA Model Aviation Fuels 29mm Aerobee that pretty much fills that spot in my fleet. Still, it looks great on the shelf...
I hope this helps!
FYI, I "had" a AAA Cherokee G kit that I flew a few times.
Crashed BADLY!!!
I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if it had the same size tube as the Aerobee.
My Cherokee G was a 2 point something tube that you cannot get anymore. I checked EVERYWHERE!!!!!!
If only I'd have known.....
I was looking thru my Pile -O- kits at the time.
Keep it.
Mark T

JSP
11-29-2008, 10:35 PM
FYI, I "had" a AAA Cherokee G kit that I flew a few times.
Crashed BADLY!!!
I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if it had the same size tube as the Aerobee.
My Cherokee G was a 2 point something tube that you cannot get anymore. I checked EVERYWHERE!!!!!!
If only I'd have known.....
I was looking thru my Pile -O- kits at the time.
Keep it.
Mark T

Yeah, I probably will never actually fly my AAA Aerobee. I just can't stand the thought of messing it up. I have a AAA HVTV Sentry (3x29mm) that I do fly, however....

tbzep
11-30-2008, 10:35 AM
The I.D. of the AAA Cherokee is 2.00" and OD is 2.1". The I.D. (2.0") is the same as FSI's old RT-19 2.04" tube. In fact, it came with an FSI Black Brant II nosecone. ;)

The FSI RT-19 tube is the same as Centuri/Semroc Series 20 tubes. Semroc also carries a 2.0" I.D. heavy tube (Series 200) that has a 2.08" O.D. I'd venture to guess that it's the same size as AAA's 2.1" tube and they just rounded it off.

If you want to repair that AAA Cherokee, get some Semroc Series 200 tube. :)

snuggles
11-30-2008, 12:19 PM
Thanks a LOT!!!!!
I almost chucked it in the trash.
It is an odd size tube.
BMS didn't have it.
Maybe Bill can turn me another cone.
She went up on a G-33 the last time.
MORE Power next time!!!
It chuffed a bit......
Got about 50 feet and cruise missiled into the ground.
The cone is in pretty bad shape.
Mark T

Doug Sams
11-30-2008, 01:03 PM
If you want to repair that AAA Cherokee, get some Semroc Series 200 tube. :)YORF - superior advice, superior forum :D

Doug

sandman
11-30-2008, 01:53 PM
Thanks a LOT!!!!!
I almost chucked it in the trash.
It is an odd size tube.
BMS didn't have it.
Maybe Bill can turn me another cone.
She went up on a G-33 the last time.
MORE Power next time!!!
It chuffed a bit......
Got about 50 feet and cruise missiled into the ground.
The cone is in pretty bad shape.
Mark T

Mark,

Bill isn't a member here...I am!

How bad is the damage on the cone?

If it's just the tip I know a trick.

Carl@Semroc
11-30-2008, 03:00 PM
The I.D. of the AAA Cherokee is 2.00" and OD is 2.1". The I.D. (2.0") is the same as FSI's old RT-19 2.04" tube. In fact, it came with an FSI Black Brant II nosecone. ;)

The FSI RT-19 tube is the same as Centuri/Semroc Series 20 tubes. Semroc also carries a 2.0" I.D. heavy tube (Series 200) that has a 2.08" O.D. I'd venture to guess that it's the same size as AAA's 2.1" tube and they just rounded it off.

If you want to repair that AAA Cherokee, get some Semroc Series 200 tube. :)The 2.00"/2.08" tube was first used by Coaster around 1959. They called it 2 1/8", but they rounded that as well. They used it on the Centauri glider and G. Harry's Coaster Space Probe I at the Smithsonian uses the same size tube. I think they only had the 2" and 1.22" engine tubes.

The AAA Cherokee used the FSI Black Brant cone that was made for 2.04" OD tubing. It is our BC-20107. It is also easy to scale down the 1/2 scale Arcas cone for the BTH-70. Or it is easy to scale up the non-scale Arcas cone that was used on the original Cherokee-D. Many options!

snuggles
11-30-2008, 03:09 PM
Thanks Carl, I'll be getting one soon!!!
Mark T

dwmzmm
12-13-2008, 10:09 AM
Hey all, was just browsing the website of one of our local modroc vendor, and noticed this:

http://www.launchpad2000.com/quest-1015.html

They may still have some of the Quest Aerobee-Hi in stock, so go and get 'em!!

barone
12-13-2008, 10:28 AM
Hey all, was just browsing the website of one of our local modroc vendor, and noticed this:

http://www.launchpad2000.com/quest-1015.html

They may still have some of the Quest Aerobee-Hi in stock, so go and get 'em!!
That's not the reproduction kit that's packaged like Model Missiles. That's their regular packaged kit but I do believe it's OOP... :confused:

Initiator001
12-13-2008, 12:13 PM
Here's my completed Quest/MMI Aerobee-Hi model.

I plan to fly it next Sunday (21st), weather permitting. :)

Bob

Gus
12-13-2008, 12:43 PM
...weather permitting. :)
Bob,

I know it's "winter" in San Diego but rest assured, both Estes and Quest motors will still work if the temp drops below 67 degrees. ;)

And if by chance one of those white fluffy things should chance to interupt the perpetual blue of the California sky, the bright orange of the Aerobee should still be visible. :D

But the most important "weather" advice us midwesterners have for you California guys is that it is best to not launch when the ground is moving. :eek:

Beautiful Aerobee-Hi, by the way.

cas2047
12-14-2008, 06:55 PM
Here's my completed Quest/MMI Aerobee-Hi model.

I plan to fly it next Sunday (21st), weather permitting. :)

Bob

Very nice job on your Aerobee-Hi!

I was away last week and returned to find a package from Quest containing both of the Aerobee-Hi kits I ordered from them. Very cool from box to contents!

Also enclosed was a "freebie" Quest Hand Toss Glider, a Quest Factory Direct Educators Catalog and an envelope containing a customer appreciation coupon that can be used Jan 2-11 for 15% off the already discounted items sold on their website.

I have to say I'm impressed with Quest and will do more business with them in the future.

sandman
12-14-2008, 08:31 PM
Very nice job on your Aerobee-Hi!

I was away last week and returned to find a package from Quest containing both of the Aerobee-Hi kits I ordered from them. Very cool from box to contents!

Also enclosed was a "freebie" Quest Hand Toss Glider, a Quest Factory Direct Educators Catalog and an envelope containing a customer appreciation coupon that can be used Jan 2-11 for 15% off the already discounted items sold on their website.

I have to say I'm impressed with Quest and will do more business with them in the future.

Me too...at least they sent somebody to NARAM...the boss! :D

Initiator001
12-22-2008, 12:48 AM
Well, the weather was 'permitting' today, Sunday, December 21st, here in sunny Southern California and I flew my newly built Quest MMI Aerobee-Hi model.

Launched with one of the 'new' Quest A6-4 motors, the model had a successful flight and was recovered undamaged. :)

Bob

dwmzmm
12-22-2008, 07:56 AM
Well, the weather was 'permitting' today, Sunday, December 21st, here in sunny Southern California and I flew my newly built Quest MMI Aerobee-Hi model.

Launched with one of the 'new' Quest A6-4 motors, the model had a successful flight and was recovered undamaged. :)

Bob

Nice!!

cas2047
12-22-2008, 09:25 AM

Bob

Excellent! :)