PDA

View Full Version : estes classic series

motley16
11-22-2008, 01:00 PM
looking over the classic series that estes has on there web site. i just can not see estes bringing out this number of kits all in a year. i hope it happens but i have my doubts. plus this is a series, tells me that other kits will be in the l;ineup for 09 a standard lineup as well . tell me why all but 1 of the kits are skill 1 or 2 . why is the thunder roc a 3 and not a 1 or 2. it says easy to build. i would think the alien invader,satellite interceptor and photon probe would all be more difficult to build. can not wait for 09 and the realse of these kits . :) :chuckle: :) :chuckle: :)

cas2047
11-22-2008, 02:32 PM
looking over the classic series that estes has on there web site. i just can not see estes bringing out this number of kits all in a year. i hope it happens but i have my doubts.

Yes I'll believe it when I see it. Didn't they announce a bunch of new kits a while back and then not come through with them...???

Ltvscout
11-22-2008, 03:51 PM
Yes I'll believe it when I see it. Didn't they announce a bunch of new kits a while back and then not come through with them...???
All one needs to do is go to the Vendor forum here and search Estes to see all of the announcements of their new kits I scooped since '05. You'll find many of the kits never made it to the shelves.

barone
11-22-2008, 05:16 PM
......... why is the thunder roc a 3 and not a 1 or 2. it says easy to build. i would think the alien invader,satellite interceptor and photon probe would all be more difficult to build. can not wait for 09 and the realse of these kits . :) :chuckle: :) :chuckle: :)
At one time, Estes was listing their D powered birds at higher skill levels because they were D powered birds. Yeah, doesn't make since but I guess you needed more skill to fly on a D than you do on a C.....well, recovery skill that is.... ;)

motley16
11-26-2008, 08:35 PM
what is the history of this kit? what years did estes offer it? :)

Tau Zero
11-26-2008, 09:11 PM
what is the history of this kit? what years did estes offer it? :)motley16,

Here's the beginning of your adventure. :cool:

Go to the following website:

http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/rockets.html

Scroll down to "Estes publications" and look through the old Estes catalogs until you find when the Blue Bird Zero first showed up, and then look for it until it finally disappears.

Then go here (JimZ) and poke around until you find plans for the "Blue Bird Zero."

http://www.dars.org/jimz/estes.htm

Figuring out how to do this kind of research is half the fun of the whole process.

Now go, and tell us what you find out. ;) :D

Cheers,

Jeff Walther
11-26-2008, 11:09 PM
Scroll down to "Estes publications" and look through the old Estes catalogs until you find when the Blue Bird Zero first showed up, and then look for it until it finally disappears.

Figuring out how to do this kind of research is half the fun of the whole process.

Isn't there an olde kit list over on Ye Olde Rocket Store site somewhere? I think the entry in that kit list might be a tad easier way to find the years the kit sold--although not nearly so educational.

Hmmm. Interesting to see the Firefly sharing a page with it. Wasn't the Firefly originally a part of the Cold Power assortment? By the time of this kit, cold power is long gone.

tbzep
11-27-2008, 07:25 AM
Isn't there an olde kit list over on Ye Olde Rocket Store site somewhere? I think the entry in that kit list might be a tad easier way to find the years the kit sold--although not nearly so educational.

Hmmm. Interesting to see the Firefly sharing a page with it. Wasn't the Firefly originally a part of the Cold Power assortment? By the time of this kit, cold power is long gone.

It came with the X-13 coldpower kit. BTW, the Stiletto and Polaris started the same way. They were originally the Shark and Marauder as coldpower kits. They got new names and paint jobs like so many other rehashes Estes did over the years.

barone
11-27-2008, 07:31 AM
Isn't there an olde kit list over on Ye Olde Rocket Store site somewhere? I think the entry in that kit list might be a tad easier way to find the years the kit sold--although not nearly so educational...............
Yep....

http://rocketshoppe.com/kit_lists.htm

Royatl
11-27-2008, 10:54 AM

could be (probably is) the Centuri Firefly, a shorty motor two-stager (that Semroc also makes!), instead of the piggy back glider that was spun off from the cold powers.