PDA

View Full Version : Argo-C build thread

Tau Zero
08-16-2008, 10:37 PM
As mentioned in the "BARCLONE Designer's Studio" thread, this is my spin on Jim Pierson's "Space Argosy" design, which I call the "Argo-C (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showpost.php?p=44264&postcount=127)."

In the photos below, you'll see:

1) New SEMROC CR-1013 and CR-1020 centering rings (don't forget to sand the inside diameter!)

2) BC-2025 and BC-2032 nose cones (for Argo-C and Mars Voyager)

3) ST-10120 and CR-1013 (Argo-C build #1)

4) ST-1340 and CR-1013 (Argo-C build #2)

5) ST-1340 assembly installed on ST-10120 (Argo-C build #3)

A Fish Named Wallyum
08-17-2008, 01:26 PM
What, no Roc-Sim shot? :eek:

Tau Zero
08-17-2008, 06:49 PM
What, no Roc-Sim shot? :eek:Bill,

Click on the large letters that spell out"Argo-C" in the first line of my first post above. ;) :D

There you go. :o

Cheers,

JRThro
08-17-2008, 07:57 PM
I like it, Jay!

How does it perform? Or did I miss that somewhere?

Tau Zero
08-17-2008, 09:49 PM
How does it perform? Or did I miss that somewhere?Sorry, I don't usually extract the info from the flight sims like Craig and Jim do. :o

So here you go, anyway:

Motor / Max. Alt. / Dv / Calibers (stability)

B6-4 -- 338 ft. -- 7 fps -- 2.14

C6-5 -- 823 ft. -- 6 fps -- 1.84

RockSim says that the deployment velocity on an A8-3 at 120 feet is almost 23 feet per second ("Chute shredder!"), so I *wouldn't* recommend that motor.

FYI, and cheers,

James Pierson
08-17-2008, 10:27 PM
Great design Jay. Don't believe all of what Rocksim tell you on the flight stats of this design. Test flying is the best way to check out the A8-3.

Just to let you guys in on something that I realized a quite a while back.
Carl is the LASERMASTER and can cut just about anything you can dream up ;) . And if it's not posted online at Semroc just get Carl the OD and ID and most anything is possible.
The strangest rings I ordered from him so far is the upper CR for the Tranquility 9 design. If I remember they were CR8-BT101, or ST8 ID to an BT101 OD.

Thanks again, JP.

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

CPMcGraw
08-17-2008, 11:13 PM
...And I'm following your progress, Jay, even if I don't say much right now. :D

Keep posting!

Tau Zero
08-17-2008, 11:19 PM
Great design Jay. Don't believe all of what Rocksim tell you on the flight stats of this design. Test flying is the best way to check out the A8-3.Jim,

I don't recall, did you fly your Argosy on an A8-3? What kind of performance did you get?

[Carl] can cut just about anything you can dream up ;) . And if it's not posted online at Semroc just get Carl the OD and ID and most anything is possible.

The strangest rings I ordered from him so far is the upper CR for the Tranquility 9 design. If I remember they were CR8-BT101, or ST8 ID to an BT101 OD.I haven't ordered them yet, but my "Mu-Tater" design will need a couple of CR-10250 :eek: centering rings when I get around to that one.

Cheers,

Tau Zero
08-17-2008, 11:27 PM
...And I'm following your progress, Jay, even if I don't say much right now. :D

Keep posting!"By your command." (BSG: TOS ;) )

Here's the latest set of build photos (Argo-C #4-6):

6) Main assembly with CR-1020 attached.

7) Shock cord anchor -- 14" of 600 lb. Kevlar (a knot on each end and circling it 'round the body tube take up the slack) glued to the ST-10120. (Yes, it's probably overkill, but I've had enough 100 lb. Kevlar "burn-throughs," so there you go.) Oh, and there's the ST-2060 in the background.

8) The "upper" CR-1020 glued in place (note the notch for the Kevlar).

That's all for today. :cool:

James Pierson
08-18-2008, 08:27 PM
CenturiGuy Quote:
Jim,

I don't recall, did you fly your Argosy on an A8-3? What kind of performance did you get?

Only one flight with the Space Argosy Jay. It was built as simulated in the original file so no changes were made. First Flight on an Estes B6-4 to an altitude estimate of 350+ feet. Lower than Rocksim predicted and recovery was late. In my flight notes I noted that the next flight should be an B6-2 to improve the late recovery. ;)

Hope this helps, JP.

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

Tau Zero
08-21-2008, 10:44 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen (and Bill),

Here are Argo-C build photos #7-9:

7) ST-2060 glued to main assembly (note Kevlar cord).

8) ST-10120 with fin markings (sorry it's not real exciting).

9) Standard EM-710 motor mount with engine hook. (Centuri purists, if any existed, would insist that it was an "engine mount" with an "engine lock." Fortunately, none of them are watching.

--I *hope.* :eek: :rolleyes: )

Tau Zero
09-07-2008, 10:43 PM
Greetings gentlebeings,

Last Sunday I managed to sit down with a sheet of balsa and trace fin patterns for my Argo-C, Mars Voyager, Carrier Wave, and Tryton rockets. Tuesday night I cut them out and stack-sanded them, and then began the "computer label" finishing treatment.

This afternoon I picked up where I left off on Tuesday, and managed to seal all the "non-glueable/root chord" edges with thin CA.

Now, Argo-C build photos #10 and 11 follow, with a Mystery Bonus::

10) Fins for Argo-C, Carrier Wave, and Mars Voyager (including launch lug standoff).

11) First fin drying on ST-10/-13/-20 body tube assembly. (Hey look, there's one of *those* boxes! ;) :D )

Picture #3 on this post is a hint of one of my latest Conservative Upscale (137%) projects. (No, I can't figure out what it would possibly be, *either.* :rolleyes: )

Solomoriah
09-08-2008, 07:41 AM
(engage singsong mode)

"I know what you're building..."

Tau Zero
09-09-2008, 10:59 PM
(engage singsong mode)

"I know what you're building..."Let's see... Five fins, with *that* shape, and a paper transition. *Hmm*... :cool:

I figured those three clues would pretty much give it away to anybody who was paying attention... Like Solo was! :eek: ;) :D

Tonight I started assembling a 100% version, so I could master the whole 21st century paper transition technique. So far, so good!

I also got a note from Semroc that said the package with my upscale parts went out in the mail this afternoon. (Scott H., where's that "foaming at the mouth" emoticon? :rolleyes: )

Cheers,

Tau Zero
09-13-2008, 10:38 PM
Dear Ladies, Gentlemen, and Bill ;) ,

Here is the most recent set of build shots for my take on JP's "Space Argosy," which I have morphed into the Argo-C.

12) The LL-310 lower launch lug attached to one fin, located 1/2" away from the ST-10.

13) The LL-320 upper launch lug (note the "ballpark" pencil marks to insure correct alignment) on the ST-20.

14) Glue the lower launch lug on the fin first and let it dry. Then use a launch rod ( it better be straight! :eek: ) to correctly locate the upper launch lug. Remove rod and let glue dry.

EDIT: 15) A better shot of the launch lug on the fin. (Note that I marked the "leading edge" of these fins to make sure I glued them on in the correction direction.)

It looks like this one's ready for primer! :D (Except the balsa nose cone needs the wood hardener/filler treatment first. :o )

James Pierson
09-17-2008, 12:00 AM
Lookin' good Jay. This one should be real easy to load a parachute in ;) . I guess I will just have to keep tuned in to see the paint colors and first test flight info so, keep us posted.

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

Tau Zero
09-27-2008, 10:08 PM
Lookin' good Jay. This one should be real easy to load a parachute in ;) .Jim,

Working with the ST-10 as the main tube on this design inspired me to do 137% upscales on a bunch of ST-7 based designs -- like the Vector-V and my own Carrier Wave. ;) :cool:

I guess I will just have to keep tuned in to see the paint colorsLatest build pics:

16) The paint on the body tube section has been giving me fits, :rolleyes: :mad:

17) but the one orange fin is fine with two coats on it. :cool:

Cheers,

Tau Zero
10-05-2008, 11:08 PM
Sorry, no pictures yet! I'm waiting to sand, prime, and paint the nose cone after the wood hardener/filler treatment before unveiling the paint job in all its glory. :eek: :rolleyes:

The lower body tube section is white, and I sanded and repainted the "oops" on the middle body tube on Friday.

The fin opposite the orange one is black (I painted that one yesterday), while the two remaining fins and the upper body tube section are silver (I just sprayed those tonight). The nose cone will end up orange.

I think it will be pretty sharp. My first attempts at filling body tube spirals turned out surprisingly good. :o ;) :D

I know, I know, I'll get pictures ASAP.

Cheers,

Tau Zero
10-06-2008, 06:55 PM
I think it will be pretty sharp. [SNIP]

I know, I know, I'll get pictures ASAP.I couldn't *take* it anymore! :eek: :rolleyes: :p

I pulled the tape and paper off this afternoon just to get a look. I'm no Leo Nutz :cool: , but I borrowed his "rocket on a stick" technique. I used Photoshop (actually, Paint Shop Pro) to erase the paint wand (crude but effective).

Close your eyes and squint and pretend the nose cone is orange. :o

pantherjon
10-06-2008, 09:48 PM
Very cool!:cool:

Tau Zero
10-18-2008, 10:11 PM
Very cool!:cool:Thanks, Jon! :D

Today's photo shoot techniques were a little more sophisticated than last time's "Rocket on a paint wand" attempt. :cool:

You'll notice the nose cone is actually *orange* this time. :eek: :rolleyes: ;) :D

(Although I learned that I shouldn't touch the silver paint before it's clear-coated somehow. :o )

Bob Thomas
10-19-2008, 06:00 PM
Sweeeeeettttt!