PDA

View Full Version : Old picture of old rockets

Phred
08-20-2005, 05:20 PM
Hi Guys, I found these two pics at my Mom's this weekend and pasted them together. The date is 1985 based on the guitars.... I still have all of the rockets in this pic, and fly most of them!!

Phred

Green Dragon
09-13-2005, 09:32 PM
well, did not get any good pics of the shop / fleet scanned yet, but did get this one - fits more into the ' enerjet' discussion, but here is .

custom built, BT-70 based, 1/4" balsa fins rocket.

circa 1981-82

Crown F50, iirc .

note the 'proper' non smoke composite powered lfight :-)

~ AL

hmm - not sure how to post here, ( advise ? :-)

here's the url

Http://home.stny.rr.com/dragonmotors/navy-roc.JPG

Ltvscout
09-14-2005, 09:11 AM
hmm - not sure how to post here, ( advise ? :-)
Al,

Under your edit screen will be an area that says Additional Options. In there is a button that says Manage Attachments. Click that to put pics in your messages.

Tweener
09-14-2005, 10:33 AM
Al,

Under your edit screen will be an area that says Additional Options. In there is a button that says Manage Attachments. Click that to put pics in your messages.
... and if you are running a pop-up manager type utility, you may have to disable it so the smaller file management window can open. (e.g. With Pop-Up Stopper hold the Ctrl key when clicking the button).

Been there, done that.

Green Dragon
09-21-2005, 10:10 PM
Hi Guys, I found these two pics at my Mom's this weekend and pasted them together. The date is 1985 based on the guitars.... I still have all of the rockets in this pic, and fly most of them!!

Phred

OK, finally got some pics of my hoard...err. fleet, and here are some , hope this works (to post em, rokoie forum user, you know, :-)

~ AL

EchoVictor
09-21-2005, 11:22 PM
Very niiiiiiiice! :D

Let's see if I can pick out all the sci-fi ones.....

Pic 1 (L to R) - I see a Galactic Taxi, a Wolverine, a Solar Sailer II, and the Starfighter Combo Pack (Orion Starfighter and Torellian Invader).

Pic 2 - We've got a Solar Warrior, a Scorpius and what looks like two Falcon Commanders, one in original paint scheme and the other in some sort of tan.

Pic 3 - There's a Hawkeye, a FoxFire, the Star Seeker from the Mini Tri-Pak, and of course, an X-Wing and R2-D2.

Did I miss any?

Later,
EV

Green Dragon
09-22-2005, 05:51 AM
Very niiiiiiiice! :D

Let's see if I can pick out all the sci-fi ones.....

Pic 1 (L to R) - I see a Galactic Taxi, a Wolverine, a Solar Sailer II, and the Starfighter Combo Pack (Orion Starfighter and Torellian Invader).

Pic 2 - We've got a Solar Warrior, a Scorpius and what looks like two Falcon Commanders, one in original paint scheme and the other in some sort of tan.

Pic 3 - There's a Hawkeye, a FoxFire, the Star Seeker from the Mini Tri-Pak, and of course, an X-Wing and R2-D2.

Did I miss any?

Later,
EV

Thanks , collections been growing for a few years, as you can see, quality of build is generally improving as well, which is always good :-)

I see you like the Sci-Fi ones, same as me, so looking at your note.....

Pic 1 - have all you noted, lol (note the crumbling canopy decal ont eh torrellian invader, as I noted in other thread,re: decals for these ). (hiding in there someplace is a Red Eye as well.

Pic 2 - missed the vintage original Laser X (left end),as for the Falcon Commander, one is original, the other is a scratchbuilt using that cone, that I called "Space patrol 911" (many years back, it's semi-stable so might wind up using it for parts /nosecone to build a Skytracer ( that I;ve always wanted) . I think some or most of the fins I used on that were from the Mini-Shuttle, so maybe build one of those as well :-)

Pic 3 - depends what you think of as Sci-Fi, lol - you have good eyes to catch that Star Seeker, though :-) , the Blue rocket in the foreground ( have to put the smaller ones in back due to roof slope :-( .... is a ' Flying Jato' from Model Rocketeer plans, early 80's .
( also the trophy is my F Altitude win from WUBBA 6,not sure the year offhand, won with a basically stock Cherokee D on FSI F7-6 :-)

might get some pics of the 'larger' rockets when I can get em all lined up nice and neatly, instead of in a big pile ....

~ AL

now it;s others' turns to post pics of thier collections, so * I * can drool :-)

EchoVictor
09-22-2005, 09:28 AM
...as for the Falcon Commander, one is original, the other is a scratchbuilt using that cone, that I called "Space patrol 911" (many years back, it's semi-stable so might wind up using it for parts /nosecone to build a Skytracer ( that I;ve always wanted) .

Go for it Al!

After getting back into the hobby myself within the past four months, I found an old Venom kit with that nose. I didn't know what I was going to build with it. I just knew I needed that cone. After searching the catalogs, I decided on the Skytracer. It was never one I was all that excited about, but as I went through building and flying it, I've grown to dig the design more and more.

Here's the lowdown;
http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=240&highlight=skytracer

I still haven't figured out how to re-create the rear nozzles yet, but somebody recommended the ramjet tips and cones from Semroc's SST Shuttle kit. I just picked up one of those the other day, so when I break it open to build, I'll see how the nozzles work on the Skytracer.

Later,
EV

Green Dragon
09-22-2005, 10:16 AM
Go for it Al!

After getting back into the hobby myself within the past four months, I found an old Venom kit with that nose. I didn't know what I was going to build with it. I just knew I needed that cone. After searching the catalogs, I decided on the Skytracer. It was never one I was all that excited about, but as I went through building and flying it, I've grown to dig the design more and more.

Here's the lowdown;
http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=240&highlight=skytracer

I still haven't figured out how to re-create the rear nozzles yet, but somebody recommended the ramjet tips and cones from Semroc's SST Shuttle kit. I just picked up one of those the other day, so when I break it open to build, I'll see how the nozzles work on the Skytracer.

Later,
EV

that Skytracer clone looks good EV :-)

might have to try that one - I was worried about the pods myself, then looking at the plans at jim Z's right now and realized those are BT5 based, not the oddball sizes like on my F61 I had.

as for the nozzles - let me know on the SST shuttle ones ( does Carl offer those seperately ? )

I believe Moldin Oldies has the SST nozzle set as well, so will try there, too .

thanks for the encouragement :-)

~ AL

Tau Zero
09-22-2005, 11:05 AM
as for the nozzles - let me know on the SST shuttle ones ( does Carl offer those seperately ? )
Hey Al,

Drop Carl an e-mail. I'm sure he'd be glad to set you up. ;) :D

Cheers,

--Jay Goemmer
"Centuri Guy"

barone
09-22-2005, 06:33 PM
( also the trophy is my F Altitude win from WUBBA 6,not sure the year offhand, won with a basically stock Cherokee D on FSI F7-6 :-)

Ahhhhhh.......I loved flying those F7s. Such a longgggggg burn time. Seemed like they went on forever...... :)

Don
NAR 53455

Lugnut
10-03-2005, 08:07 AM
Anyone want to see my new pictures of old rockets?

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/marwatkins/dscn1300.jpg

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/marwatkins/dscn1301.jpg

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/marwatkins/dscn1302.jpg

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/marwatkins/dscn1303.jpg

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/marwatkins/dscn1304.jpg

:)

PS I'm going to try to get Carl a scan of the plans of the Centuri Tomawawk and parts info and measurements (for his queue). :p

Royatl
10-03-2005, 09:31 AM
Anyone want to see my new pictures of old rockets?

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/marwatkins/dscn1304.jpg

Hey, does that Orion back there have a two piece nose cone (a paper reducer topped with a balsa nose)?

Lugnut
10-03-2005, 09:46 AM
Yes it does, well 'two' is a misnomer, actually looks like several pieces, used to build up the transition and shroud that connect to the balsa NC.

snaquin
10-04-2005, 06:14 PM
Hey guys

I found a few old polaroid pics circa 1978 - 1979 of rockets in my closet from when I was 16 years old. Unlike some of you guys I no longer have any of these rockets :(

Also the FSI Mach 1 Dart with RX-1 Thruster System. That picture is dated 6/27/78. I have a picture of another Mach 1 Dart taken during the F100 boost but I have to look around for that one to scan it.

Too bad it's so hard to get your hands on those black powder "load lifters", I sure do miss em .....

barone
10-04-2005, 06:51 PM
Also the FSI Mach 1 Dart with RX-1 Thruster System. That picture is dated 6/27/78. I have a picture of another Mach 1 Dart taken during the F100 boost but I have to look around for that one to scan it.

Too bad it's so hard to get your hands on those black powder "load lifters", I sure do miss em .....

FSI had some really great motors (when they didn't blow up :( ). The picture below is the before launch of my Dart (circa 1988). When it hit mach I thought the motor blew up. I heard a bang and saw the thruster tumbling down and thought it was debris. The Dart kept on going and going. Thought I might try again since I've got an F100-0 but I don't have a suitable upper stage engine. :( But I REALLY liked the long burning F7s. :D

Don
NAR 53455

ghrocketman
10-04-2005, 08:59 PM
I have some F7-4 and F7-6 engines but no F100-0's....all the F100's I have are F100-6's.
I'm not interested in selling the F7's, but they do pop up on ROL every now & again.

snaquin
10-05-2005, 06:36 PM
FSI had some really great motors (when they didn't blow up :( ). The picture below is the before launch of my Dart (circa 1988). When it hit mach I thought the motor blew up. I heard a bang and saw the thruster tumbling down and thought it was debris. The Dart kept on going and going. Thought I might try again since I've got an F100-0 but I don't have a suitable upper stage engine. :( But I REALLY liked the long burning F7s. :D

Don
NAR 53455

Nice Dart picture Don! Looks like we both had the same interests in kits back in 1988. I located and scanned the only picture I was ever able to catch during the boost phase of a two stage Dart flight and wouldn't you know it I had 5-1-88 for the launch date written on the back of my picture :D

During the time that FSI offered these I probably flew about a half a dozen and every photo I ever tried for all I got was a viewfinder full of smoke! Ignition was always real quick with those FSI electric match ignitors. It's a little blurry but it brings back great memories. I do remember this was the only flight that I actually recovered both the booster and sustainer.

barone
10-05-2005, 07:26 PM
Great picture :) ! I figure any launch picture of a FSI 100 flight is a good one :D . My fater-in-law video taped my launch. Going to have to dig it out and see about transferring to DVD. Maybe I'll be able to capture a frame.....

Don
NAR 53455

Green Dragon
10-05-2005, 08:53 PM
had to dig out this pic of my own mach 1 Dart heading for bye-bye-land .

my brother (official team photographer),almost cought this one.

~ AL

barone
10-05-2005, 09:10 PM
Al, you and Steve both look like you're launching out of back yards.....I don't see how you guys got your rockets back...... :rolleyes:

Don
NAR 53455

Green Dragon
10-05-2005, 09:15 PM
Al, you and Steve both look like you're launching out of back yards.....I don't see how you guys got your rockets back...... :rolleyes:

Don
NAR 53455

well.... it's actually my cousins front yard, lol .. and the actual field / recovery area is behind the camera.

and we did NOT get it back , lol :-)

~ AL

snaquin
10-05-2005, 09:42 PM

Don
NAR 53455

Don I launched that one from a baseball field at a small playground, way too small of a launch area. I used most of that 20 foot CMR Alum Mylar streamer that is shown hanging in my closet in one of my other pics for that flight. I tightly folded as much as I could fit in that small airframe and cut off the rest. I didn't really expect to get it back but I did. With the streamer deployed at apogee you could barely see the streamer glitter like a small spec in the sky.

Nice pic Al :) I see you used your little chrome "Fly with FSI" stickers on yours too ;)

Green Dragon
10-06-2005, 08:11 AM
Nice pic Al :) I see you used your little chrome "Fly with FSI" stickers on yours too ;)

Yep :-)

I have the chrome sticker on my new dart (as yet unflown,as I do not have any FSI engines or the booster- and have seen no need to fly it,when I have a hundred others to chose, lol )

might grab a pic o fthat and my Sprint next time I;m out to my dad's ( my fleet is all there, due to no room in the 1 bedroom apartment, can build here on a card table in the living room (wife's impressed, lol ), but not much staroge, so I'm gratiously allowed to have them all set up in my old room at my parents * grin*, along with all my HPR stuff, motors, storage magazine,etc... makes for inconvenient when going out to fly, but it;s only 10-15 minutes away, so what can you do :-)

~ AL

snaquin
10-06-2005, 04:01 PM
Yep :-)

I have the chrome sticker on my new dart (as yet unflown,as I do not have any FSI engines or the booster- and have seen no need to fly it,when I have a hundred others to chose, lol )

~ AL

You may consider building a "look alike" booster for your new Dart. In high school when I flew my first two stage Dart it didn't take long to realize I wouldn't be able to shell out the bucks for the complete system every time. What I did was cut some spare HRT-10 tube just slightly shorter than the actual length of an F100. I then cut some HRT-8 tube to the exact length of the F100 and used the FSI centering rings to fit the HRT-8 into the HRT-10. One ring was flush with the front of the HRT-10 and one flush with the rear. I then built up a little glue and filler on the front centering ring where the extra little HRT-8 stuck up to form the rounded part like the F100 in the system. I used D18-0 in the booster and whatever FSI D's I wanted to in the Dart. I guess the same could be done today with 24mm tubing to use the Estes D12-0 in the booster. It won't kick like the F100 but at least you can fly it two stage (and possibly get it back) :D

I had posted a RockSim file on EMRR a while back if you need the booster fin pattern.

http://www.rocketreviews.com/cgi-bin/search/searchall.cgi?mach+1+dart#RS