PDA

View Full Version : Smushed Outlander

MarkB.
06-14-2008, 08:11 PM
I got an unbuilt Outlander kit on eBay.

When it arrived, one side of the blow-molded capsule was smushed in, so after preping the capsule, I reached inside and pushed out the smushed area with my finger, but its still badly deformed and dimpled although it is at least in the area of the right shape.

Is there any way to repair this stuff or do I need to fill and sand and if so, with what?

Help!

Questor
06-14-2008, 08:29 PM
Try some Squadron putty to fill the deformed area. Then sand it down to match the contour of your capsule. It is available in white or green and is geared toward use with plastics.

pantherjon
06-15-2008, 09:27 AM
Or try contacting Estes customer service and see if that part is still available..It should be as the Outlander hasn't been OOP very long...

sandman
06-15-2008, 10:05 AM
Or try contacting Estes customer service and see if that part is still available..It should be as the Outlander hasn't been OOP very long...

It is available. I got a replacement not to long ago.

MarkB.
06-15-2008, 10:46 PM
Thanks guys,

Here's what I did:

1) a little prelim. sanding with some 220 grit wet

2) tried to fill the low spots with slow CA glue

3) a little more 220 wet

4) smeared Testor's putty (couldn't find white Squadron putty)

5) final sand with 220 wet

6) white primer (you can only tell if you know where exactly to look, and then just barely)

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm trying to figure out how to post pictures and I'll show you.

tbzep
06-16-2008, 04:06 PM
If you want to use local supplies, go to your local Walmart or auto parts store and grab some Bondo Spot Putty. It works great on plastic nosecones. Sand the area to rough it up a little and smear the stuff on fairly thin. If you have a deep area to fill, keep adding thin coats after the previous coat dies. Thin coats will dry in a few minutes, but a thick coat takes a long time. Once you fill with the stuff, sand it smooth. Repeat as needed to slick it up. Prime and paint.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h163/rlee02135/CIMG1067.jpg

dwmzmm
06-16-2008, 04:52 PM
I'm trying to figure out how to post pictures and I'll show you.

Once you figure that out, you'll be surprised how easy it is (it took me hours the first time several years ago).

sandman
06-16-2008, 07:41 PM
If you want to use local supplies, go to your local Walmart or auto parts store and grab some Bondo Spot Putty. It works great on plastic nosecones. Sand the area to rough it up a little and smear the stuff on fairly thin. If you have a deep area to fill, keep adding thin coats after the previous coat dies. Thin coats will dry in a few minutes, but a thick coat takes a long time. Once you fill with the stuff, sand it smooth. Repeat as needed to slick it up. Prime and paint.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h163/rlee02135/CIMG1067.jpg

BTW, that stuff wet sand beautifully! ;)

tbzep
06-16-2008, 11:21 PM
BTW, that stuff wet sand beautifully! ;)

Yep, it sands very well, wet or dry. You can also fix pinholes, small dents, etc. anywhere on the rocket after priming, and paint your base coat without having to prime over it again. I seem to always find something after my final prime that I missed before. :rolleyes: