PDA

View Full Version : Interceptor -- Plastic Parts Question

space_bus
06-02-2008, 01:47 PM
This has probably been beat to death in another thread, but I wasn't able to find it quickly so here goes...

What is the best way to attach the plastic pieces to the Estes' re-release Interceptor. The instructions mention using epoxy, which I've never used. Is that a good option? I'd like to be able to get at least a somewhat nice-looking fillet between the pods and the fins as well.

Thanks. :)

Royatl
06-02-2008, 02:20 PM
This has probably been beat to death in another thread, but I wasn't able to find it quickly so here goes...

What is the best way to attach the plastic pieces to the Estes' re-release Interceptor. The instructions mention using epoxy, which I've never used. Is that a good option? I'd like to be able to get at least a somewhat nice-looking fillet between the pods and the fins as well.

Thanks. :)

I used thick CA (Mercury brand) and it worked just fine. Did not do (and will not do) any fillets (painted everything before assembly).

JRThro
06-02-2008, 02:41 PM
I used thick CA (Mercury brand) and it worked just fine. Did not do (and will not do) any fillets (painted everything before assembly).
That's what I'm planning to do on mine as well, with CA gel.

space_bus
06-02-2008, 02:47 PM

Do you have a gap at the front of the pod (like the picture on the face card)?

Indiana
06-02-2008, 03:03 PM
I used epoxy on mine but made fillets with white glue. My gaps were small though.

http://69.136.171.149/Rockets/rocketfiles/interceptor/images/int3.jpg

space_bus
06-02-2008, 04:22 PM
Cool British decals there Indiana. Do you have a full view pic of that one?

tbzep
06-02-2008, 04:44 PM

You'd think he'd demand some Hoosiers decals, wouldn't you? :D

Indiana
06-02-2008, 05:30 PM

Your wish is my command. (You can get the decals at excelsior). I hear they work even if you don't put the bottom fins on backwards. :rolleyes:

http://69.136.171.149/Rockets/rocketfiles/interceptor/images/int1.jpg

Indiana
06-02-2008, 05:31 PM
You'd think he'd demand some Hoosiers decals, wouldn't you? :D

I might take some Purdue decals. :D

ghrocketman
06-03-2008, 08:33 AM
I used epoxy to attach them AND filleted with EPOXY.
They will bust the fins before they come off.

JRThro
06-03-2008, 12:47 PM
Your wish is my command. (You can get the decals at excelsior). I hear they work even if you don't put the bottom fins on backwards. :rolleyes:
Sure, but I bet your Interceptor is just a *tiny* bit more stable than stock ones.