PDA

View Full Version : early Estes (1960) motor packaging

Rocket Doctor
04-18-2008, 04:01 PM
I don't know if you are aware that back in May 1960, estes sent their motors out in cloth bags with tags, then, they went to rectangular boxes ( this is the one I'm looking for -photo). After that, the motors were sent in off red mailing tubes, and then, blue mailing tubes, then the "diamond packs" and then the current type of packaging.

If anyone has a photo of the boxes, I would appreciate a copy of that.

Royatl
04-19-2008, 12:47 PM
I don't know if you are aware that back in May 1960, estes sent their motors out in cloth bags with tags, then, they went to rectangular boxes ( this is the one I'm looking for -photo). After that, the motors were sent in off red mailing tubes, and then, blue mailing tubes, then the "diamond packs" and then the current type of packaging.

If anyone has a photo of the boxes, I would appreciate a copy of that.

Cloth bags with tags??? That's a new one on me! Have you got a picture of that?

Centuri, in '68-'69 sent out motors in those little gray two piece boxes where one side had a couple of wire loops that went through slots in the other side, then you bent the wire loop over to lock it in place. Is that the kind of box you're talking about?

Rocket Doctor
04-19-2008, 03:32 PM
Cloth bags with tags??? That's a new one on me! Have you got a picture of that?

Centuri, in '68-'69 sent out motors in those little gray two piece boxes where one side had a couple of wire loops that went through slots in the other side, then you bent the wire loop over to lock it in place. Is that the kind of box you're talking about?

Yes, cloth bags with a string closure, Mark Maybield has one, he showed it to me and it has hand written information on it that gleda wrote.

But, from what I understand, for a very brief time, there were triangular boxes, that could only hold three motors, before they went to the off red mailing tubes, I guess they were similiar to the "diamon packs".

This may be a hard one to track down, I have never heard of it until recently, so, I wanted to ask those out there if they have heard of it and if they either had one or a photo or knew where I might at least get a photo.

barone
04-19-2008, 06:50 PM
Yes, cloth bags with a string closure, Mark Maybield has one, he showed it to me and it has hand written information on it that gleda wrote.

But, from what I understand, for a very brief time, there were triangular boxes, that could only hold three motors, before they went to the off red mailing tubes, I guess they were similiar to the "diamon packs".

This may be a hard one to track down, I have never heard of it until recently, so, I wanted to ask those out there if they have heard of it and if they either had one or a photo or knew where I might at least get a photo.
Okay...I think I remember something about the cloth bags. Wasn't that how they were shipped to Stine at Model Missiles? I don't think that was a mail order thing to normal consumers :confused: I think the picture was posted on this forum somewhere.....

Rocket Doctor
04-19-2008, 07:04 PM
Okay...I think I remember something about the cloth bags. Wasn't that how they were shipped to Stine at Model Missiles? I don't think that was a mail order thing to normal consumers :confused: I think the picture was posted on this forum somewhere.....

These bags were used to ship motor to the Central Rocket company. Mark Mayfield has one of the cloth bags, he showed it to me, awhile back.

Leo
04-20-2008, 11:53 AM
http://www.leo.nutz.de/images/forums/Rocket_Doctor/Estes_Bag.jpg

Bazookadale
04-20-2008, 03:00 PM
4 cents postage - don't you wish they made" Forever" stamps back then!

Rocket Doctor
04-20-2008, 03:52 PM
4 cents postage - don't you wish they made" Forever" stamps back then!

Don't forget, the postage is going up on May 12th by one cent
You can still get the forever stamps though for the same price currently.

Rocket Doctor
04-20-2008, 08:59 PM
Looks like the postmark is from May 1960.

LeeR
04-20-2008, 10:03 PM

I've got several of those Centuri boxes with all my old stuff. I think they are postmarked June 1970. Will dig them out, and take a picture, if anyone is really curious.

Rocket Doctor
04-21-2008, 05:08 AM
I've got several of those Centuri boxes with all my old stuff. I think they are postmarked June 1970. Will dig them out, and take a picture, if anyone is really curious.

Lee
That would be great to see photos of those centuri boxes.
The ones that i am looking for are estes rectangular boxes from 1960, they were only big enough for three motors and had Estes information printed on them. They were only used for a short period of time before the off red mailing tubes were used.

RD

Bazookadale
04-21-2008, 07:11 AM

I sure am curious - I bought much more from Centuri than Estes and I don't recall motors in gray boxes!

Shreadvector
04-21-2008, 08:52 AM
Don't forget, the postage is going up on May 12th by four cents (pennys)

Incorrect.

1 cent not 4 "pennys" increase for the first ounce. See complete pricing for other changes.

http://www.usps.com/prices/welcome.htm?from=bannercommunications&page=prices

Rocket Doctor
04-21-2008, 09:01 AM
Incorrect.

1 cent not 4 "pennys" increase for the first ounce. See complete pricing for other changes.

http://www.usps.com/prices/welcome.htm?from=bannercommunications&page=prices

Fred

We have gone round and round over this. The price of stamps are going up 1 cent/penny and the price of postage cost you back then 4 cents/pennys.
If you can find a photo of those early 1960 motor boxes, pre off red mailing tubes, you will be a hero.

RD

Shreadvector
04-21-2008, 09:27 AM
I have not gone round and round on anything.

no emoticons. no emotion. nothing implied. Please read this as if a machine with no emotion had typed it. Thank you.

I simply read this thread from beginning to end, hoping to see a photo of "the box". Along the way I saw the statement that said that "the postage is going up on May 12th by four cents (pennys)". I simply provided the correct information that the postage is only going up 1 cent and provided a link to the complete information from the source.

I'm very sorry that (and cannot comprehend how) my single very-short message containing nothing but correct information somehow offended you or deflected people from the search for photos of "the box" or made you think that we were somehow going round and round.

Again, I apologize for somehow bothering you.

Again: no emoticons. no emotion. nothing implied. period.

Fred

We have gone round and round over this. The price of stamps are going up 1 cent/penny and the price of post cost you back then 4 cents/pennys.
If you can find a photo of those early 1960 motor boxes, pre off red mailing tubes, you will be a hero.

RD

Rocket Doctor
04-21-2008, 11:38 AM
I have not gone round and round on anything.

no emoticons. no emotion. nothing implied. Please read this as if a machine with no emotion had typed it. Thank you.

I simply read this thread from beginning to end, hoping to see a photo of "the box". Along the way I saw the statement that said that "the postage is going up on May 12th by four cents (pennys)". I simply provided the correct information that the postage is only going up 1 cent and provided a link to the complete information from the source.

I'm very sorry that (and cannot comprehend how) my single very-short message containing nothing but correct information somehow offended you or deflected people from the search for photos of "the box" or made you think that we were somehow going round and round.

Again, I apologize for somehow bothering you.

Again: no emoticons. no emotion. nothing implied. period.

Fred
No confusion , no emotion, when this topic came up long ago, the discussion was should it be called a cent or a penny. Bottom line is , it's going up 1 cent/penny on May 12th, you can still buy the forever stamps (liberty bell).

Now that we have gone off topic, are you familiar with the rectangular motor boxes from May 1960?

TRUCE FRED...........

RD

FYI The four cents was being discussed was the price of the postage stamp on the cloth bag tag!!!

K.M.Knox
04-21-2008, 11:51 AM
Don't forget, the postage is going up on May 12th by four cents (pennys)

I think Shread was referring to your comment RD about the postage going up by 4 cents.

I've never seen the boxes you are talking about. I hope someone can track it down and get some pics up of it.

Shreadvector
04-21-2008, 12:22 PM
I think Shread was referring to your comment RD about the postage going up by 4 cents.

I've never seen the boxes you are talking about. I hope someone can track it down and get some pics up of it.

Yes, thank you, that is all I said (twice). I even quoted it both times in an attempt to avoid confusion or mis-interpretaion. I failed and I am sorry.

Rocket Doctor
04-21-2008, 03:42 PM
Yes, thank you, that is all I said (twice). I even quoted it both times in an attempt to avoid confusion or mis-interpretaion. I failed and I am sorry.

Where talking about the postage on the bag, postage going up. By the time May 12th comes around, it might just go up by 4 cents. Just like gas going up 15 cents every other day.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

May 12, 2008 Postal rate increace one cent, , it's going up.

Postage on the cloth mailing bag from May 1960 four cents.

The price of gas, who knows?????

I guess we have it all straightened out now.