PDA

View Full Version : Primer under Gold

ga1ba2
03-07-2008, 02:50 PM
I do not have enough white primer for my Golden Scout build. What about red auto primer? Think it will be ok under the gold? :confused:

Rocket Doctor
03-07-2008, 02:56 PM
I do not have enough white primer for my Golden Scout build. What about red auto primer? Think it will be ok under the gold? :confused:

I think that it would be too dark. I have used white primer under my gold, I haven't tried red though. Why don't you jmust get another can of the white primer and be on the safe side?

tbzep
03-07-2008, 03:08 PM

Just sand the primer down as usual and give it a couple of light even coats of regular white paint. Gold will stick to it just fine. If you are still worried about it sticking, go over the model with a Scotchbrite pad and then wipe any dust off with a tacky cloth or a clean rag and alcohol before you hit it with the gold.

ga1ba2
03-07-2008, 03:16 PM
I think that it would be too dark. I have used white primer under my gold, I haven't tried red though. Why don't you jmust get another can of the white primer and be on the safe side?

You are probably right, I'm just anxious to get it painted . I am out of gold paint too so I'll just wait and buy them both at the same time. I have enough white for one coat at least I can get it started.

Thanks

Solomoriah
03-07-2008, 05:51 PM
I've had good luck with gray Wal-Mart ColorPlace or Dollar General Miracal primer under gold Ace brand paint. But then, the Ace paint is VERY opaque.

chanstevens
03-07-2008, 09:53 PM
I went gray primer, then needed 2 coats of Rustoleum Metallic Gold. Looks fine. I'll try another one later going for more of a mirror finish, definitely white primer on that...

foose4string
03-08-2008, 08:12 AM
I went gray primer, then needed 2 coats of Rustoleum Metallic Gold. Looks fine. I'll try another one later going for more of a mirror finish, definitely white primer on that...

I've got that same gold paint too Chan....the one that comes out real shiny and chrome- like. I probably should use it for this, but...

It's great paint and looks cool as heck, but I'm worried about putting a decal over it. I made decals for my Deuce and put them over that same gold. The result looks more like a peel and stick, rather than a true decal. I still may use it anyway. I just bought some Creatix Pearlescent Gold to shoot through the airbrush I just purchase. Been many years since I've airbrushed, so this might be a good project to experiment on.